PDA

View Full Version : Starting over again! (pic)

Lize
June 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I just chopped my hair from almost BSL back to shoulder.

I have had many problems in my life since joining LHC and I think I have taken them out over my hair. (I feel better now.) Last summer I layered my hair heavily, thinned it out with thinning scissors :scared: and I kept the layers up for a while. I have also dyed and highlighted it a number of times since joining. This left my hair looking really thin and damaged, and I just want healthy virgin hair! Of course I also want long hair, but I did not feel any joy in growing when my hair was as damaged as it was.

Even now I have 9 inches of highlights left and 2 inches of layers. I didn't wanna cut it shorter now so my long time plan is to grow slowly, and focus on health. I am going to trim 1/2 inch every other month until I get rid of the highlighted hair. And when I am done with that I will have one length hair because my bangs are all virgin and I am growing them out. My final goal is virgin hair at tailbone. It's gonna take a long time to get rid of all the highlighted hair but it's gonna be worth it! I want the health and thickness!

Is there anyone else with similar experiences?

Here's my hair after the cut today. I cut it myself as always as I don't trust anyone else with my hair. ;)
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p273/Libelous/IMG_5662.jpg

janeytilllie
June 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I recently cut from hip with layers to shoulder length. My hair was very damaged at the bottom and my hair was thinning too.

So I wanted to start all over again with healthy virgin hair.

Your hemline and hair looks lovely and beautiful! :D

demitasse
June 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
You did a great job cutting it yourself. If I tried that, I'd have huge chunks of hair at all different lengths.

30isthenewblack
June 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Good job with the cut! It looks very thick and healthy!

paper
June 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I think your hair looks great, and you have a good start and plan for long healthy hair. I'm growing out hair dye and will be trimming and cutting back also. Good luck!

BrianaFineHair
June 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
You did an excellent job at doing your own cut.

I think you did what you felt was best and you should feel good about that! Sounds like you have a good plan in place to focus on hair health as you grow.

RenaissanceGirl
June 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
That looks great! I'm trying to grow out my hair to virgin to the hip -- it feels like it will take forever, but I know it will be worth it. Right now I'm down to my waist, but I've got about ten inches of old color still on it.

redneckprincess
June 28th, 2009, 07:59 AM
looks good, now it time to work on keeping it healthy

bigdreamer
June 28th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I'm with you on the start-over! I just chopped 2" off to even layers, now I'm just past shoulders. Also realized since going cone-free that I have a lot of damage that is just going to have to grow out before I can ever be a decent-looking long hair. My virgin hair is about 2+ from crown tho, so it's growing!

Wow you did a great trim job, so even. Good for you!!

Nyghtingale
June 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
You did a really good job with the cut, looks very healthy too.

Yedda
June 28th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, I'm in the same boat.:)

I used to have beautiful hair, never colored, let it air dry (out of ease, I didn't know it was better for the hair.)

Then I thought that I should improve my look and hair and do what was mainstream-get highlights, learn to blowdry etc. Then I saw a friend who looked great in red hair with blond highlights.

Long story short, I highlighted, dyed, and blowdried, and my fine hair could not take it and got severly damaged to the point where people would comment on it, so I did a big chop.

Then I joined LHC and found out my original hair routine was what I should have stuck with in the first place, and i'm on a mission to get back my beautiful dark hair.

I still have highlights and I'm debating do I just want to keep it short and keep trimming until the highlights are gone, or let it grow with the highlights and cut them off later.

Hmmm...still thinking.:confused:

swanns
June 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
As a lot of people have already said, you did a great job with the trim, the hemline looks so even! Happy growing! :)

gmdiaz
June 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and you did an awesome job cutting it! It's perfect! Now leave it alone! lol

Addy
June 28th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I just looked through your pics and I must say, the trim looks so much better and you did a great job on it!

It's hard to lose that kinda length but better in the long run! Good luck growing! It'll look and feel so much better! :cool:

Yedda
June 28th, 2009, 09:25 AM
That really is a great trim. I'm don't know how you cut so evenly but I'm not daring enough to cut my own.

Lize
June 28th, 2009, 10:07 AM
That really is a great trim. I'm don't know how you cut so evenly but I'm not daring enough to cut my own.

I have mirrors that allow me to see the back of my head. :)

Thank you all so much for your support! :flowers: It's nice to know that others are doing the same thing. :)

camara
June 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Many others have already said it, but your hair really looks very good now.

A few years ago (seven or so) I had my hair cut back from waist to just below shoulder because I had hennaed it and wanted to get rid of the two-tonedness.
I hated to lose the lenght, but it was worth it, in the end.

Debra83
June 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Wow. Looking Great! I'm very impressed that you have such a straight hemline for cutting your own hair. I have no qualms about cutting my own hair because it is curly, but YOU HAVE STRAIGHT HAIR!!!!! You are very brave, and are now one of my hair heroines!!!

Ryanne
June 28th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Though it's been said, you did a great job with the haircut. It looks very healthy.

jeno
June 28th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Good job! Very nice haircut, I'm impressed! In no time your hair will be long again, long and healthy and beautiful!

brok3nwings
June 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
i think you have a very beautiful hair and you wont have any problems with growing it cause its fantastic. And the cut is great! How did you do it yourself?

melrose1985
June 28th, 2009, 05:12 PM
it looks really good!

Lize
June 29th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Thank you so much all of you! :flower:

i think you have a very beautiful hair and you wont have any problems with growing it cause its fantastic. And the cut is great! How did you do it yourself?

Hmm.. I just looked in the mirror and cut. When it's this short I don't use a certain technique. I have two mirrors so I can see the sides and the back of course. When my hair is longer I use Feye's method.

kaminagai
June 29th, 2009, 12:41 AM
That's amazing that you could cut your own hair that well using a mirror. I sure mess up the back of my hair when I cut it. I don't think men can cut well while looking into a mirror. I can't seem to keep the scissors straight.

whiteisle
June 29th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Well your hair looks just beautiful! :)

How in the world did you do that yourself??? I'd end up looking like hedge trimmers had gotten hold of me!

Great job!

Fencai
June 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM
WOW!!! If I tried to cut that much myself...... look out!!! :justy::scared:
It looks really nice, and you'll have a better time of growing it out!

Pixna
June 29th, 2009, 06:31 AM
You did an excellent job on the hair cut! I've taken out my problems on my hair at times, too -- for me, though, it's been mainly cutting it (rather than coloring it or straightening it). Our hair is about the same length now (though mine is wavy). I'm aiming for tailbone (and beyond), too, so let's keep each other on course! Your hair is truly lovely, and it's going to be even more incredible as it gets longer.

JamieLeigh
June 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I completely understand the emotions behind not being happy with your hair, and wanting to correct past mistakes. I maintained at a certain length (TB) for years to get rid of past damage and a layer of fringe. It really takes a lot of patience and TLC (...and of course, TLHC ;)) to grow it long and healthy at the same time. I'm at classic length now, and I'm still learning. It's great that you recognize what you want, and you're taking steps now to make sure you get there. It may take some time, but realize that what you want IS possible, and it might even happen sooner than you think it will. :flower:

You have an excellent start; the hair in the photo you shared looks very healthy and thick. Good luck!! :)

Lize
June 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you! :flowers:

You did an excellent job on the hair cut! I've taken out my problems on my hair at times, too -- for me, though, it's been mainly cutting it (rather than coloring it or straightening it). Our hair is about the same length now (though mine is wavy). I'm aiming for tailbone (and beyond), too, so let's keep each other on course! Your hair is truly lovely, and it's going to be even more incredible as it gets longer.

Absolutely! I will keep trimming for a while to get rid of the remaining layers, so I will grow pretty slowly for a while. By the way I wish I had wavy hair like you. :)

nowxisxforever
June 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Yes, I'm in the same boat.:)

I used to have beautiful hair, never colored, let it air dry (out of ease, I didn't know it was better for the hair.)

Then I thought that I should improve my look and hair and do what was mainstream-get highlights, learn to blowdry etc. Then I saw a friend who looked great in red hair with blond highlights.

Long story short, I highlighted, dyed, and blowdried, and my fine hair could not take it and got severly damaged to the point where people would comment on it, so I did a big chop.

Then I joined LHC and found out my original hair routine was what I should have stuck with in the first place, and i'm on a mission to get back my beautiful dark hair.

I still have highlights and I'm debating do I just want to keep it short and keep trimming until the highlights are gone, or let it grow with the highlights and cut them off later.

Hmmm...still thinking.:confused:

You could perhaps dye the highlights ONLY but not the rest of your length and then let them grow out with the rest?

Orchid_28
June 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Oh god I know how you feel! I am in the same situation right now. My hair was pass BSL until I got it layered...it looked like a mullet. From the front my hair looked short and from the back you can see that I actually have some long hair...it looked awful. So I decided to cut it off and its chin length now.

But your hair looks great. It looks like there are no layers its all single length and looks very nice! Good luck with your journey of growing your hair again!

LadyLongLocks
June 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! Great trimming job too!You are off to a great healthy start :)

daydreamer
June 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
What a great job you did cutting your hair! Not easy to do at shoulder length.
I can sure understand that desire to start afresh. I still have about 6 inches of yucky damage to grow out, I just keep it there as long as I can stand it hehe.
It looks like you have good healthy hair there to start the journey over with!

Lize
June 30th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words! :flowers: