PDA

View Full Version : Brewers Yeast

RancheroTheBee
June 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
There doesn't seem to be a lot of threads about this supplement, so here I go, askin' questions again.

I got a bottle of brewers yeast a few days ago, because I have a lot of the symptoms of a biotin deficiency. My hair is brittle, grows slowly, I have no eyebrows, I'm tired all the time, etc. Long story short, I decided to give it a try.

Few questions:

a) If you take brewers yeast, how much do you normally take?

b) I heard something about yeast inhibiting the absorption of calcium: should I take a calcium supplement, too?

c) How long does it take to see effects?

Thanks in advance. :flower:

RancheroTheBee
June 28th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hey, I'm sorry to bump, but I'm still feeling curious and I can't find very much information on brewer's yeast that answers my questions. ^_^: Thanks!

ecologystudent
June 28th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't take it as a supplement myself, but my parents used to. They mixed a teaspoon in with orange juice and drank it. They kept upping the dosage, gradually, until they got what's called a niacin flush, where you get red and your skin feels warm. Apparently, this means you've had enough.

I just eat it because I like it. I put tablespoons of it on my pop corn, and I also put it in chip dip and on baked potatoes.

Sorry I'm not very helpful.

RancheroTheBee
June 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I don't take it as a supplement myself, but my parents used to. They mixed a teaspoon in with orange juice and drank it. They kept upping the dosage, gradually, until they got what's called a niacin flush, where you get red and your skin feels warm. Apparently, this means you've had enough.

I just eat it because I like it. I put tablespoons of it on my pop corn, and I also put it in chip dip and on baked potatoes.

Sorry I'm not very helpful.

No, no, that was very helpful. :D I don't think I'll up the dosage anymore, though.

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
If you want to supplement with yeast, there are lots of brands that make flake yeast intended for supplementing, which tastes like 100x better than Brewer's..

Recommended 'dose' is 1-3 tablespoons per day I believe. I also mix it in OJ, although I like the taste it's too dry to eat off the spoon.

Norai
August 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
I'm no help but you might want to double check your thyroid if you haven't already -- those are the exact symptoms my mom had before figuring out she had hypothyroidism.

rhubarbarin
August 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm no help but you might want to double check your thyroid if you haven't already -- those are the exact symptoms my mom had before figuring out she had hypothyroidism.

Seconded. The eyebrow thing is a big red flag, especially if they thin from the outside in.

Fractalsofhair
August 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
I'd suggest just taking a good multivitamin and biotin on it's own(or a b complex). Check to make sure you're getting enough protein as well. (Generally, taking something like yeast can be a silly idea with dosages and such if you are REALLY deficient, just as cooking in a cast iron pan isn't recommended as a source of iron for those with anemia )Then go to your doctor after a few months if it doesn't clear up, and get your thyroid etc(Just explain your symptoms and what you've been doing) checked. Yeast really isn't the best idea, it can funk with your digestive track. If you are perfectly healthy, it's fine, but if you're deficient or such, not such a good idea!

Danamarie
August 23rd, 2009, 06:22 PM
If you want to supplement with yeast, there are lots of brands that make flake yeast intended for supplementing, which tastes like 100x better than Brewer's..

I agree, there's a difference between Brewer's yeast and Nutritional yeast. If you have a thyroid problem, kelp may be helpful as it's high in iodine. People with hypothyroid have hair loss, fragile hair and energy problems. One other symptom is weight gain. You didn't ask Ranchero but thyroid isn't something most people ever think about so it's being mentioned.

ademtce
August 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM

Recommended 'dose' is 1-3 tablespoons per day I believe. I also mix it in OJ, although I like the taste it's too dry to eat off the spoon.

brewers yeast is quite difference from just yeast. its got more nutrients and vitamins that work together to make your hair and body healthier. it doesn't taste wonderful but for the full benefit i'd recommend brewers yeast.

Heidi_234
August 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I used to take it for a while (then I slacked :p). I mixed 1 tbl in orange juice (the only juice that kills the taste), and drink it once a day. I didn't see much of a change, but then again most of the things I try doesn't seem to yield any results. Maybe I should have carried on for longer though, because these thing tend to take a while before kicking in.
I think it can't hurt to start consuming it, in the range of normal of recommended (I've read 1-3 tbls a day as well), but I agree with others - I would not rely on it to solve your problems. If you think you have biotin deficiency, why not take biotin then? Or B complex that is very high on biotin?

Fractalsofhair
August 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I also feel like saying it's very rare to be biotin deficient(Most common true deficiencies are iron, b12, and calcium from what I understand) . A doctor would be able to more accurately pinpoint the causes, but self help with a multivitamin(just in case it's another vit/mineral), can help the doctor narrow down the causes. If you take biotin and a multi, for 3ish months and it doesn't resolve, your doctor likely won't do as many blood work on the vitamins/minerals, and will be more accurately able to treat you.

Sammybunny711
August 24th, 2009, 10:40 AM
It comes in my super-B complex so it has it already.

hennaphile
August 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I just started taking Solgar's brand a couple of weeks ago and I think it may be helping my tummy :)

No news on the hairy front yet. Oh man, that sounded so wrong :laugh: