PDA

View Full Version : What's "long" rant

klcqtee
June 27th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I was looking for some hair inspiraition and I decided to google waist length hair (my goal length). I figured it wouldn't be that hard to find waist length pictures because it really isn't that long of a length.

Apparently have the world considers BSL to be the same as wasit! I know this sounds silly, but after 14 pages of pictures that contain only two or three relevant pictures per page was very furstrating (not inspirational, at all!). Waist is a very clear body part, well defined on most females, regardless of size. You'd think this wouldn't be confused with shoulderblade length!

Does anyone else find this peculiar?

enfys
June 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Makes you wonder how these people buy "high waist" jeans. Where's their belt; armpits?

It's very hard to find long hair styles like you'd find here through Google.

I suppose it's like a lot of things. A millionaire's idea of being short on cash is different to mine, and my idea of hunger is different to that of the skinny dog rummaging in a dustbin yesterday.

swanns
June 27th, 2009, 05:35 PM
A girl I know from work who's going to a beauty school to become a hair stylist told me anything below shoulder blades is considered 'extra long' :rolleyes: And charged with prices for extra long hair, of course.

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 27th, 2009, 05:45 PM
A girl I know from work who's going to a beauty school to become a hair stylist told me anything below shoulder blades is considered 'extra long' :rolleyes: And charged with prices for extra long hair, of course.

I've heard this too :rolleyes:

swanns
June 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I was checking some salon prices for an updo for my cousin's wedding in April (ended up just having bun waves at the end though) and one salon had separate prices for extra long and extra extra long. That made me giggle, clearly they'd had an encounter with an LHCer (or someone who should be here) before :D

I believe 'waist length' has become a bit of a vague term used of long hair. I've heard people call mine waist lenth when it's clearly inches past it, and on the other hand a lot of people seem to think BSL is waist as well. Waist lenght = long hair, to many people.

Bene
June 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
even when i was growing out a lengthy pixie, i was a bit of a length snob. i remember as soon as i chopped all my hair off, i overheard these two girls talking and one girl was like "omg! your hair is soooooo long!!!", and i glanced at the other girl and she was at APL. the other girl totally agreed with her "yeah, i want to get super long, like to here" and she pointed to BSL. i stood there thinking to myself, "that's NOT long at all! :rolleyes:" (not to mention it was totally fried and damaged)

i'm at BSL now, and i don't consider my hair long, not even close.

Euphony
June 27th, 2009, 06:20 PM
hahahaa I was forever false terminal at bsl until I found LHC. To me my hair was short - I'd hack it off periodically to shoulder length and I'd get comments from people that my hair was still long. I never understood that.

RancheroTheBee
June 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I think it's because very few people have the tools we do to grow their hair past APL. A lot of people here consider APL to be pretty short, so it seems weird that others wouldn't feel this way.

Hey, back before I got to this forum, my goal was APL. Now, APL is my first goal on the way to hip. :p (ETA: Well, second, after next month when I hit shoulder.)

Aunteater
June 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
before I stumbled across this forum, I waded through innumerable instructions on how to style "long hair" that was barely past the shoulder. Very frustrating!

Too bad there's not a good way to search google for "instructions for hairstyles that will work for MY hair!"

podo
June 27th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Well...there's more to it than that. Simplified:

The images search, like the text (or "web") search, is based on TEXT in or around an image. If someone puts a pic of their shoulder-length hair on their site and says "Wow! Look how long my hair is now!" or "Gee! I love growing long hair!" and thousands of people link to that page (whether it's that piece or a free kitten screensaver download) then both the page and the image go up in the search results for "long hair" (as well as "free kitten screensaver download"). The page doesn't appear in the text/web search because there are hundreds of thousands of pages (including plenty from TLHC) that have better relevance, but an image might be elevated to this higher position because there just aren't as many images as text pages.

Does that make sense? No one at Google is crawling over the Web in search of images and placing them manually into position; it's done by a program (aptly called a "web crawler" or just "crawler" or "spider") and the results are put into a very complicated algorithm that is updated as time goes by. Incidentally, the algorithm that Google uses is so awesome that it virtually overnight turned Google into the No. 1 search engine.

Page ranking (and image ranking too I suppose) is Big Business. It's called SEO or Search Engine Optimization. The goal is to increase your page rank (where you display in the search results), preferably getting into the top 1 for a direct search (such as typing in the company name), top 3 or top 5 for specific terms (such as specific product names), and first page for non-specific terms (such as general related topics). There are all sorts of tricks to accomplish this, which is why there's a whole profession for it!

Anyway.. that was probably MUCH more info than you wanted, but there you go...the "whys" of search engines.

I totally agree though... BSL is what most people consider "long hair" and it's so sad. If more people would grow longer than it wouldn't be so unusual to spot someone with BSL and it would cease to be "long" hair.

Plus, everyone has their own ideas. For me, "short" is buzz to shoulders, "medium" is shoulders to BSL, and "long" is BSL to hips. Anything beyond hips is "OMG!!" ;)

GlennaGirl
June 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes, I posted about a week ago on how my haircut price just went up! And you can see the length of my hair. Not even BSL, actually.

But I don't think it really matters (beyond more expensive trims, and many here trim their own hair anyway) what anyone else considers short, medium or long. What matters is how you feel about your own hair. :)

dragonfrog
June 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM

The images search, like the text (or "web") search, is based on TEXT in or around an image. If someone puts a pic of their shoulder-length hair on their site and says "Wow! Look how long my hair is now!" or "Gee! I love growing long hair!" and thousands of people link to that page (whether it's that piece or a free kitten screensaver download) then both the page and the image go up in the search results for "long hair" (as well as "free kitten screensaver download"). The page doesn't appear in the text/web search because there are hundreds of thousands of pages (including plenty from TLHC) that have better relevance, but an image might be elevated to this higher position because there just aren't as many images as text pages.

Does that make sense? No one at Google is crawling over the Web in search of images and placing them manually into position; it's done by a program (aptly called a "web crawler" or just "crawler" or "spider") and the results are put into a very complicated algorithm that is updated as time goes by. Incidentally, the algorithm that Google uses is so awesome that it virtually overnight turned Google into the No. 1 search engine.

Page ranking (and image ranking too I suppose) is Big Business. It's called SEO or Search Engine Optimization. The goal is to increase your page rank (where you display in the search results), preferably getting into the top 1 for a direct search (such as typing in the company name), top 3 or top 5 for specific terms (such as specific product names), and first page for non-specific terms (such as general related topics). There are all sorts of tricks to accomplish this, which is why there's a whole profession for it!

Anyway.. that was probably MUCH more info than you wanted, but there you go...the "whys" of search engines.

Wow, that was very interesting. Thanks!

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2009, 09:57 PM

It makes sense from a color perspective at least. I require more color than someone with shorter hair, so the charge does have some relevance there.

30isthenewblack
June 27th, 2009, 10:01 PM
That's so funny as I googled pictures of waist length hair and I got the same problem as well. I think your perspective of long really changes on this board. For me long hair would be for my hair to be waist curly. At this stage, I feel like my hair is long when it is wet as it's almost to my hip but it's still relatively short to me when it's dry.

ReddishRocks
June 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I tried just key words "waist hair" and got fairly decent results. There were still pictures of shorter hair (one actually indicated that she'd cut her waist-length hair back to APL), but there seemed to be more relevant pictures. :flower:

ETA: Um, be real sure your Google settings are at LEAST at "moderate safe search"... LOL! I found out mine was not...:o

klcqtee
June 27th, 2009, 10:48 PM
You all raise good points about long hair by society norms, but I specifically searched for waist length hair! Argh! But, you have all calmed me down a bit about it.

BranwenWolf
June 27th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I went from classic to tailbone, then tailbone to above APL (startling!) and people thought my hair was still long when it just touched my shoulders.

Apparently my (grown back) tailbone length is "super, super long!!" according to some people. They'd probably pass out if they saw some of the classic or knee lengths (or beyond!) here.

ETA: Google images search is dumb sometimes. I think I need to tweak with the filters because sometimes I enter rather innocent things (I need horse color references for painting, for example) and I get... not-innocent pictures...

Natalia
June 27th, 2009, 11:21 PM
For me long hair starts a bit below waist so yeah searching the web is prety futile :p. I remember searching for long hair styles many years ago when i was barely BSL and all i could find was stuff not much longer than me! Ive wanted to grow my hair to hip for a very very long time so it was discouraging to a kid who couldnt figure out what to do with it on the way to hip besides a cinnabun.

On the upside when society considers shoulder long i get alot more stares wearing my mid back hair down lol :D. I have one friend who is a curly (but likes to stay short) who just wows at me :o lol its nice to actually get compliments in real life.

drquartz1970
June 28th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I always thought that waist length hair was the same as belt-length until corrected! Apparently where your navel is where your waist is.

As waist length is about the midway point on the body I would consider trully LONG - longhair to be at least 50% or more of your body height.

From a guys perspective long hair is when the strands on your forehead go all the way down past the hair line to tie into a low pony tail and is comfortably restrained easily.

Aditi
June 28th, 2009, 04:56 AM
he he... next time you look for a particular hair length pics you should browse in this forum then anywhere else. You won't be disappointed over here.

Arctic
June 28th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I have noticed while I've been a member here, that many people do not really know where the natural waist is. :shrug:

Flynn
June 28th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Possibly because different people find the narrowest part of their body to be at different places...? My natural waist is a lot higher than my mother's, as I have a narrower ribcage and larger hips than she does, just for instance...

Katrina
June 28th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I believe 'waist length' has become a bit of a vague term used of long hair. I've heard people call mine waist lenth when it's clearly inches past it, and on the other hand a lot of people seem to think BSL is waist as well. Waist lenght = long hair, to many people.

I have wondered the same thing. Especially this summer, when one of my relatives noticed that my hair must be at least waist length. Well, "can I call this tailbone" would have been the most accurate definition. My waist is not below my hips ;). So anything beyond BSL (or even less like SL or APL) seems to be considered extra long in our modern society...

swanns
June 28th, 2009, 06:43 AM
It makes sense from a color perspective at least. I require more color than someone with shorter hair, so the charge does have some relevance there.

True. I went to a salon two years ago to have my hair dyed for my graduation. Two women kept applying colour to my head for quite a while, and after they'd finally rinsed it all off one of them asked me if I had been told how much it would cost. I hadn't, so I said no. So it cost me 90 (almost 130$). I'm 100% sure they asked that because their price for long hair was actually lower, but they had to use more dye than they'd thought.

rach
June 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
at school i had problems excepting my hair as being "long" when it was at shoulder or apl length.
in my eyes it was still short. long to me is waist plus...... and that's still not changed in my eyes.

yep it's still short in my own eyes. :rolleyes:

i and do get annoyed when hair dressers up the prices, like they're not getting enough money out of people as it is.

JewelsSparkles
June 28th, 2009, 07:13 AM
My hair is almost at waist length (it was an inch or 2 past it a week ago, but I needed a 2-3inch trim because I'm trying to get rid of layers that were thinning my hair out - it feels SO much thicker now!), but because I have a very short torso, waist length on me is a LOT shorter than on many other people my height. It also means that my 2-3 inch trim made a HUGE length difference (even though I know it'll be back past waist in 2-3 months!)

HeatherJenae
June 28th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I agree, my hair is just past BSL and people look at me like I've lost my mind when I say that I'm growing it out cause I really want long hair. Of course, these women all have the classic soccer mom super short haircut.

iris
June 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I think there's a very innocent reason for this: outside LHC, people have fewer categories to describe hair lenght. There is 'shoulder length', and there is 'waist length'. (The other categories are 'down to your bum', 'knee length', and 'down to the floor').

Outside LHC, there is no category such as 'bra strap length'. Let alone 'armpit length'. (Seriously, think about that term - armpit length - does it sound appealing?).

So, anyone with hair considerably over shoulder length, can call it 'waist length' outside LHC, just because that is the next category. Anything 4-5 inches below or above actual waist length is called waist length outside LHC, just because people don't have separate categories for those lengths like we do, nor do they probably care as much.

Vrushali
June 28th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I so agree...my hair is almost BSL and I get comments like 'oh how do you manage such long hair' or 'your hair is sooooo long'...plain weird!

JamieLeigh
June 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
"Long" is definitely a relative word, and there will never be a clear cut line as to where "long" falls on a person's body. Someone with a pixie cut will feel that shoulder-length is long....someone with shoulder-length will feel that BSL is long...someone with BSL will feel that waist is long...and it continues.

I like the way enfys put it, in the first reply to this thread. :)

Rivanariko
June 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM
It's really just a question of what people consider waist length. My hair is only a few inches below BSL, but it's about at my natural waist because I'm just really high waisted. I probably wouldn't call it waist length because when I think waist length, I think belt length. Different people are built differently.

I do get really strange looks from people when I say I'm trying to grow my hair. I don't know very many people personally that have longer hair than I do, but I still think of it as about medium length. I've dreamed of being able to sit on my hair since I was a little kid, I'm hoping with a better care regimen I'll get closer to that then I have before!

Quixii
June 30th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Oh! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I googled "long hair" the other day, in hopes of finding some pretty long hair pictures. They were all just past shoulder length. I then tried "really long hair," which got some better results, but still a lot of.. not what I would consider long. I was kinda mad, but figured maybe I just have high standards (I tend to be criticising in nature) or something.

Arctic
June 30th, 2009, 05:45 AM
It's really just a question of what people consider waist length. My hair is only a few inches below BSL, but it's about at my natural waist because I'm just really high waisted. I probably wouldn't call it waist length because when I think waist length, I think belt length. Different people are built differently.

Yes indeed people are built differently, but waist is waist. You can really say your hair is waist length when it hits your natural waist. When it's belt length, if you wear low risen trousers/jeans, you hair is actually hiplength.

Jezzie
June 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM

The images search, like the text (or "web") search, is based on TEXT in or around an image. If someone puts ....

Hehe are you in IT? I am studying to be and I couldn't help but giggle when I read this as it sounded like one of my lecturers in web programming!

As to the original post I'll admit my definition of long has changed since finding the LiveJournal Long Hair community and then again when I found this one. I'd always planned to grow back to my waist and then when I found all these beautiful pictures of even longer I've since upped my aim to classic - which of course all my relatives think is crazy - luckily my bf is supportive, he used to have tailbone hair!

By the way I cut down the quote because I didn't want to use too much space with it + my own post :)

Armelle
June 30th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I think hair is long only once it passes the waist line. On me, this still seems short. *shrug* On a funny note, I google image searched for "hip length" hair and got a hijab. :D

Tap Dancer
June 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Long, to me, is hair that's below shoulder length. :shrug:

desertgirl
June 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I guess 'long hair' is a relative term. I tend to think just past BSL is the beginning of long hair (but not the same length as waist!) Everything above that to shoulder would be 'medium' in my mind, but I don't think all other LHCers would agree with me on these divisions.

charlyee
June 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I guess 'long hair' is a relative term. I tend to think just past BSL is the beginning of long hair (but not the same length as waist!) Everything above that to shoulder would be 'medium' in my mind, but I don't think all other LHCers would agree with me on these divisions.I agree, that is how I have thought of long hair also. Many of my friends who have real short hair think of shoulder length hair as long hair.

My DH does not think anything before waist length can be considered long.

swanns
June 30th, 2009, 12:29 PM
On some people, I think past shoulders can look pretty long already. I guess to me long hair is below BSL, in general. Except when it comes to myself. I guess I'll finally find my hair long when it's about halfway between tailbone and classic.

free_hug
June 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
As far as i see, "short" in the world outside of LHC is above shoulders, "long" is shoulders to BSL, and anything past BSL is just weird... or "super long" at the very least.

I still retain the outside world perspective, that is, i'd just love BSL hair, since i see it as the perfect superlong - but i start to feel the effect of LHC too, since i started thinking more about mid-back as a final goal :D But yes, very long hair lovers gather here, and the perspective of the group is pretty different from that of the general public - not to mention the media, highly motivated by beauty industry expectations & interests. And no natural/simple/cheap ways of life are supported in the latter (such as extended washes, natural or home made beauty products, or less visits in the salon)

Somewhat related story: Once we were sitting outside at a park with a male friend, and a bum asked us for money, saying "Guys, do you have some change? Oh no, you are a girl actually" - I laughed my head off at this, then my friend explained how i have short hair for a girl and he long hair for a guy. That's a shame, not me being short hair, but guys believing they have to keep it very short, otherwise its "long"... I'd love them or at least the curly ones, to change their perspective a bit.:rolleyes:

florenonite
June 30th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I always thought that waist length hair was the same as belt-length until corrected! Apparently where your navel is where your waist is.

Not necessarily, my navel is below my waist. The waist is the narrowest part of your torso, full-stop.

I Googled "waist-length hair" and got mostly pictures of either hair that looked to be more or less at waist (though one looked closer to hip) or stuff from people who had cut waist-length hair to APL or above.

The thing that used to bother me, pre-LHC (and which led to me cutting my ~BSL hair to shoulder in grade twelve due to never doing anything with it other than a ponytail) was that when Googled "long hair styles" I tended to get what I would call "hair cuts". To me, a hair style is a temporary thing, the way you, er, style your hair for a day, whilst a hair cut is what your hairdresser does to your hair with scissors. When I searched Google for long hair styles, I was looking for things to do with my hair, buns and plaits and stuff, not different haircuts.

free_hug
July 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Just came to my mind, tho i see the thread has gotten quite peaceful in the last few days :)

When i was looking for cute pixie cuts, i googled "short hairstyles", and got mostly stuff between chin and shoulder length :P Well then i had to make up my own styles, and 50 pc of the time they were super cute :) ummm, the other 50 percent is the reason i want to see it long for a while now. The same with long hair actually, for "long hairstyles" there's barely anything longer than APL.

So basically in the beauty industry as well as entertainment, a woman's hair starts at chin (considered extremely short, apparently), and ends at bra strap level - considered as extremely long, and seen as nearly impossible to maintain.

Not a very wide scale...

podo
August 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hehe are you in IT? I am studying to be and I couldn't help but giggle when I read this as it sounded like one of my lecturers in web programming!

:o

Gee... was I that obvious? I've been in web development since the mid-90's and IT for almost as long.

Darkhorse1
August 6th, 2009, 11:07 AM
My hair dresser told me that in school, short hair is considered pixie to above shoulders. Mid length is at shoulders and anything below shoulder blades/shoulders is considered long, with middle of the back xtra long.

So, I guess most of us here are supreme long? :D

RancheroTheBee
August 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM
My hair dresser told me that in school, short hair is considered pixie to above shoulders. Mid length is at shoulders and anything below shoulder blades/shoulders is considered long, with middle of the back xtra long.

So, I guess most of us here are supreme long? :D

Supreme Extreme Ultimate To The Max Long. :grin: We should change the forum name.