PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie...

Moondial
March 9th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Hi everyone! I thought I'd say "hi" before posting away... I'm 32, a homemaker, writer, photographer from Europe, and actually I already have long hair. After discovering the online world of long hair lovers, though, I have the feeling I've been doing all the wrong things. I never blow-dry, but other than that - oh, dear! I use silicone-laden products, wear my hair down all the time, I only use a plastic vent brush even on wet hair... As you can see, I have lots to learn, and who knows, maybe my hair will improve? It's not in a terrible state, but it could be better. Looking forward to getting to know you all! This seems a wonderful place.

Accolady
March 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hi there!

So glad you have joined us! You are certain to learn much, gain
many friends and have a grand time!

We'll go easy on the subject of cones, you may just be using too
many or the wrong type, maybe your hair type should eliminate
all of them. We'll sure help you to determine which products do and
do not work well with your hair. Of course, your hair is the ultimate
determining factor, but it is a process of trying different products to
see what works best for your hair. Who knows, you may just be
one of those hair types that simply cannot use cones, which is perfectly fine.

(extending tray of cheese and brownies)

Karen Marie :)

Dvips
March 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Hi Moondial,

Welcome to LHC!

Only you can say what is best for your hair, but you certainly can have fun trying new things. ;) Many people find that their hair prefer cones to no cones, and some of us find that our hair prefers to be combed when wet/damp (though I comb using a seamless comb and do not use a brush generally).

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Cheers,
Dvips

Gumball
March 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Welcome! It's true. You're the divining rod for your haircare. If things are working great for you then by all means keep it up! Hope to see you floating around the forums!

zift
March 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Hello Moondial,
You've already picked up a great amount of knowledge here:)
just a quick note: I use silicone products as well, and if I didn't I would never be able to grow my hair to this length. So some hair does react good to those products. :)

lionshoney
March 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
:) Hello *waves*.

purplebubba
March 10th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Welcome Moondial. I used to use a ball tipped vent brush on wet hair too.

I now use Denman brushes which are similar but they don't have the balls on the tips to snag the hair.
I have a D3 and a D5. There's a D5 review posted by Dancingbarefoot.
http://reviews.longhaircommunity.com/showproduct.php/product/10/cat/9

The D3 is basically the same except it has a few less rows of teeth. They also have versions with only a few teeth similar to vent brushes.

You might be able to find them at Sally Beaty Supply or another supply store.
Or you might be able to order them from this site
http://ballbeauty.com/denman.htm

You might still break your hair with these but it will be a lot less hair than those other brushes.

Stagecoach
March 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hello and welcome Moondial! It sounds like your already off to a good start just by having long hair! I was in the same boat as you when I joined, with long hair but terrible hair habits (I NEVER conditioned my hair before I found LHC)

I know you'll get lots of support and advice for the wonderful people here on LHC!