PDA

View Full Version : Self-trim questions

AlleyKitten
June 26th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think I've finally resigned myself to needing to trim -- it's been about 18 months, and my ends are getting really grotty. I'll also now be able to trim up to tailbone, so I think I won't miss the length as much since I'll still be at that milestone.

Thing is, I'm not sure I can trust any of my roommates to do it! I probably won't end up taking off all of the crummy ends, because I can't bear to part with the length, and I'm worried that someone else wouldn't understand and would cut too much. So I'm looking into self-trims. Does anyone have suggestions on using Feye's method? Wet or dry, clean or dirty, lots of hairties or just one slid down to the end? Any tips, tricks, and stories are appreciated. I want to go for a straight blunt cut, but my hair has a bit of wave and I usually wear it up, so if it's a little uneven I think I can manage.

Thanks!

amaiaisabella
June 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Well, Furiana recommended to me a cut that typically adds layers, but I used the technique to trim half an inch off my ends, and it didn't add any layers (too bad, cause my hair really responds well to layers, but I wasn't prepared to take that much off). I'm not quite sure how much you want off, because any more than an inch would probably create intentional layers.

I would have loved to do Feye's self-trim but at my length it just results in crossed eyes and a pounding headache! :D

AlleyKitten
June 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I'm going to stick to less than an inch, I think, because anything longer is just so traumatic! After I've gotten used to it, I might have another go, but I think I'll spread it out over several months. Do you have a link to instructions for this cut?

may1em
June 26th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I use Feye's method for a U-shaped hem and love it. It's much cheaper than a stylist, and also my fault if I mess up (which I haven't!).

I do it on dry hair, usually the day of or right before a wash, when it's straighter. I just can't get a narrow toothed comb through otherwise.

I haven't tried her straight hemline instructions, but the end step to the U trim is similar - take a scrunchie, make a low ponytail, and very carefully slide it down to the ends. The only difference is amount. I only take off as much as needed to turn the V into a U, you'd be taking off more. I suppose you could also make a banded ponytail with a few scrunchies if that would be easier for you.

Her directions are pretty awesome.

community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

amaiaisabella
June 26th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'm going to stick to less than an inch, I think, because anything longer is just so traumatic! After I've gotten used to it, I might have another go, but I think I'll spread it out over several months. Do you have a link to instructions for this cut?

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNzLZ7H7FfI
I definitely recommend it (where's Furiana? She always chimes in to rave about it as well :)) I did it on dry hair, which I usually don't, as my hair puffs when I cut dry, but surprisingly, it didn't this time, and gave me the blunt ends that make my hair look its best.

*edit* I had the wrong video, I just fixed it :)

bakertwins2004
June 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I did mine dry and a tiny bit ( a eight of an inch) at a time. I did the pony tail held out and just got the ends.

Quixii
June 26th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I don't know about specific methods, but I always trim when wet - it's straighter that way - and usually just take a pair of scissors and try to snip as straight across, under my fingers, as possible.

CaityBear
June 27th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I've used Feye's method with dry and wet hair I think. I have straight hair so that's not much of a problem. If you have hair with a slight wave it'd probably be best to do it damp.

I just trim very small amounts at a time. It's always easier to trim more than to take back after you've cut it off.

SurprisingWoman
June 28th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I have been cutting my own hair for 10'ish years, long before I heard of Feye. I have cut from shoulder length to my current tailbone.

I like to cut when it's wet, after shampooing, while I have conditioner in it.

I wash and apply conditioner and then turn off the water, get out of the shower. I part my hair down the middle, comb it down, pull it forward and trim after craning my head back as far as possible. I hold the hair in between my fingers. It usually takes me a few times to get through all the hair, it creeps as you are cutting it.

I like thinking that the conditioner are helping moisturize my ends. I know that's crap, but I still like thinking that.

Good luck. I have NO idea why anyone with hair that is all one length or one length and bangs pays for a cut anymore.

You can do it!

SurprisingWoman
June 28th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I have been cutting my own hair for 10'ish years, long before I heard of Feye. I have cut from shoulder length to my current tailbone.

I like to cut when it's wet, after shampooing, while I have conditioner in it.

I wash and apply conditioner and then turn off the water, get out of the shower. I part my hair down the middle, comb it down, pull it forward and trim after craning my head back as far as possible. I hold the hair in between my fingers. It usually takes me a few times to get through all the hair, it creeps as you are cutting it.

I like thinking that the conditioner are helping moisturize my ends. I know that's crap, but I still like thinking that.

Good luck. I have NO idea why anyone with hair that is all one length or one length and bangs pays for a cut anymore.

You can do it!

KarpatiiSiv
June 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I've been using Feye's method for a while now even before I joined LHC and would recommend it. I'm happier being in control of the scissors rather than going to a hairdressers.