PDA

View Full Version : Protein Questions

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Okay, so after giving advice to Liseling on protein, I realize I mentioned coconut milk as having protein. I BELIEVE I've heard this before/read this on here before, but now I can't remember if I might've IMAGINED it, or something, and I'd really like to know. It's something I've avoided in products, even though I love coconut stuff. Plus, I don't want to say things that may not be true (though I thought it was at the time, and stil do...I may be going crazy).

Another question I had; do cholesterohl treatments always contain protein? I read on a blog from one of the members of NC that it doesn't always, and that certain brands don't have protein at all...it might've been RedCelticCurl's blog or someone else, but I can't remember. :( Is that true?

Fractalsofhair
June 26th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I've heard coconut milk has protein in it. If your hair likes coconut products, there's probably nothing wrong with using it. It seems to help my hair a ton due to the fat along with the protein.

Unnamed
June 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'm pretty sure coconut milk contains protein. And searching for nutrition info, one cup contains 5 g of protein (with 57 g fat and 13 g carbs). So there is some protein in there.

And on the cholesterol -- no, they don't always contain protein. I know whatever one I used to get didn't have any protein in it.

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yay, so I'm not insane.

And that's good on the cholesterohl. I wanna get some. Thanks!

Eryka
June 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Protein *hisses violently*

kwaniesiam
June 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Protein *hisses violently*

I concur.

My hair likes coconut milk stragely, though it makes it greasy straight up :shrug: If it contains much, it must not be the same kind. Different sources affect hair differently.

GlassEyes
June 27th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I concur.

Thirded. :mad:

Darscilla
June 27th, 2009, 06:57 AM
But is it the kind of protein that can penetrate the hair shaft or does it just coat it?

GlassEyes
June 27th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I'm pretty sure most protein just fills in and smooths the cuticle...but I can't say for certain.

Igor
June 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thirded. :mad:

Fourth-ed
(Wow, quality post of the day :tongue: )

Igor
June 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
But is it the kind of protein that can penetrate the hair shaft or does it just coat it?

That depends on your hair type actually. Most coarsies will have problems with protein because our hair has an extra layer that makes it harder for the protein molecule to penetrate the hair strands and then just ends up as crunchy coating
Seems to me a lot of coarsies does like the cholesterol though

GlassEyes
June 27th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Fourth-ed
(Wow, quality post of the day :tongue: )
Ugh. There's so much more stuff I could USE if they didn't have protein. :mad:

lockslessmonstr
June 27th, 2009, 11:21 AM
So, why do so many of you not like protein? I'm still learning a lot but my hair seems to like it. And I think it makes my fine hair stronger and less likely to break. Is there more I should know about protein? Maybe I shouldn't use it? What are the cons?

Thanks!

Igor
June 27th, 2009, 11:38 AM
So, why do so many of you not like protein? I'm still learning a lot but my hair seems to like it. And I think it makes my fine hair stronger and less likely to break. Is there more I should know about protein? Maybe I shouldn't use it? What are the cons?

Thanks!

Repeating what I said one post above yours:
"That depends on your hair type actually. Most coarsies will have problems with protein because our hair has an extra layer that makes it harder for the protein molecule to penetrate the hair strands and then just ends up as crunchy coating"

To put it short: If your hair likes it, keep doing what you do

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2009, 11:42 AM
That depends on your hair type actually. Most coarsies will have problems with protein because our hair has an extra layer that makes it harder for the protein molecule to penetrate the hair strands and then just ends up as crunchy coating
Seems to me a lot of coarsies does like the cholesterol though

Ditto this.

I'm coarse-ish, and I can only handle keratin every so often.

GlassEyes, that may have been my blog. I was using Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus over the winter and it is protein free. It was my life saver in very low winter dew points.

Tangles
June 27th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I've discovered that my hair actually likes small amounts of protein. Will wonders never cease?

jojo
June 27th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My hair loves coconut oil but hates coconut milk major greesies with me which took forever to wash out but for somebody with very dry damaged hair I bet it would be quite good.

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I've discovered that my hair actually likes small amounts of protein. Will wonders never cease?

That makes sense. Medium textured hair, in general, likes a balance of moisture and protein. Finer hair can tolerate more (in general), and coarse hair tends to dislike it - again - in general. Things like hair porosity, climate, processing etc also play a role in ingredient needs and tolerances

Roseate
June 27th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I need to start paying more attention to protein. I don't think my hair is militantly against it; I just used up a bottle of VO5 passionfruit smoothie fo CO, and my hair didn't really seem any different than when using protein-free VO5's. But my hair is definitely on the coarse side, so I should keep an eye out. It's just not really been on my radar.

redcelticcurls
June 27th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I need to start paying more attention to protein. I don't think my hair is militantly against it; I just used up a bottle of VO5 passionfruit smoothie fo CO, and my hair didn't really seem any different than when using protein-free VO5's. But my hair is definitely on the coarse side, so I should keep an eye out. It's just not really been on my radar.

If it bugs you, it will grab your attention. That straw-like brittle feeling from too much protein is much different than plain old dry hair. If you're not getting that, then you probably aren't OD'ing on the protein. Too much (and too little) protein will also disrupt curl pattern and wavies and curlies.

Roseate
June 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
If it bugs you, it will grab your attention. That straw-like brittle feeling from too much protein is much different than plain old dry hair. If you're not getting that, then you probably aren't OD'ing on the protein. Too much (and too little) protein will also disrupt curl pattern and wavies and curlies.

Good to know. I've never done protein treatments or anything- my hair is a moisture hog, but it's not fragile. But since my hair in general seems ok with protein, I don't tend to read labels for it. I already spend enough time reading labels for cones! :eye:

Aditi
June 28th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I like coconut oil but i did not know that coconut milk had proteins, i think i should give it a try although my hair are not fond of proteins.

Vrushali
June 28th, 2009, 09:37 AM
When I was a kid, my mom would put coconut milk in my hair (its a ritual during a Hindu festival) and my hair would be instantly super soft and shiny. I don't know if it was the protein or just the natural goodness of coconuts though:shrug:

GlassEyes
June 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Coconut oil helps reduce protein loss, which is where my issue comes from, I think. It may not be, but I use a ton of the stuff, so utilizing protein more than every two weeks or more is pointless, and makes my hair straw-like.

And it must've been your blog, RedCelticCurls. I remember the brand. Thanks! :D

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Coconut oil helps reduce protein loss, which is where my issue comes from, I think. It may not be, but I use a ton of the stuff, so utilizing protein more than every two weeks or more is pointless,a nd makes hair straw-like.

I think that has been my problem too.. protein treatments + suave conditioner = straw-like hair for me.. but if I wait a couple days it goes away but its awful until then!

Aditi
June 29th, 2009, 01:29 AM
When I was a kid, my mom would put coconut milk in my hair (its a ritual during a Hindu festival) and my hair would be instantly super soft and shiny. I don't know if it was the protein or just the natural goodness of coconuts though:shrug:
Sorry Off topic, which Hindu Festival??

Vrushali
September 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
I am sorry I keep vanishing from the forum every so often:D...I was talking about the 'Diwali Abhyang Snaan'

Heavenly Locks
September 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
*shrieks* PROTEINNNN!! Noooooo! http://www.smileydesign.net/smileys/imotion13.gif

ONE use of a simple VO5 moisture milks and I'm done for. I feel like protein should be useful, and because my hair is a valiant foe of protein... I must be missing out. I will live vicariously through those who can use it and enjoy. :flower:

rogue_psyche
September 3rd, 2009, 02:18 PM
*shrieks* PROTEINNNN!! Noooooo! http://www.smileydesign.net/smileys/imotion13.gif

ONE use of a simple VO5 moisture milks and I'm done for. I feel like protein should be useful, and because my hair is a valiant foe of protein... I must be missing out. I will live vicariously through those who can use it and enjoy. :flower:

Okay, how's this for living vicariously? I hennaed Monday, and when I was COing out, a few hairs were being stretchy, so I reached for the K-Pak knockoff. I mixed it with my Biolage knockoff, but I still followed a henna with protein and found it to help immensly. Odd, huh?

/end hijack :D

Buddaphlyy
September 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know where I was when this thread first appeared, but I'm glad it's resurfaced.

Over the summer, I was using a homemade coconut milk/honey/salt conditioner and my hair was just loving it. My hair likes protein, but only when it's mixed with some type of moisturizer (I can't use it straight) so now it makes perfect sense to me why my hair felt so good.

Aeon F.
September 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I was never sure if I could overdo protein or not & worried that maybe all my COing with V05 extra body could be bad, so I decided maybe I'll try a few suave protein-free condishes to CO with and avoid protein for a little while- Ohhhhhh no!! My hair became so tangly- but not at the ends, but farther up the shaft- it was just awful!! I never had that problem before. I did it for 2 weeks and it was terrible- tangle tangle tangle....

I do a ion reconstructor treatment before COing with my good ole` trusty V05 extra body (followed by my standard SMT) and Voila`! Hair is back to happy silky status. So going back to my old routine (overnight coconut oiling before wash day with V05 and SMT after)- and my hair is so happy- so maybe I just need to not try and fix what's not broken? I guess my hair likes a constant balance of protein and moisture?