PDA

View Full Version : My hair feels kind of gross, help please : )

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Okay- My hair feels NASTY. I totally need your help.

My current routine. Wash bangs/scalp (about every other day) with Burt’s Bees grapefruit something or other (can’t remember the name), Condition with Sauvé coconut conditioner and that’s it.

I have coconut oil, but that seem to stop working for me. I have jojoba oil, But I think I put to much in and it looked gross so I was kind of turned off. I don’t use ANY cones…. So I don’t think I have build up, maybe I do?

Also I have read around here that the Sauvé coconut conditioner had protein in it. I think it always worked so well in the past because of the damage on my hair and chemical that striped the protein out. But now it seems to make my hair look dry and frizzy at the ends and up the length. My hair is looking wicked flat and feels almost tacky to the touch.

I think I have had an over load on protein but I’m not sure. I think I should maybe clarify and start from there? And also I heard that there is this stuff from Sally’s- mega moisture? Any one know what I’m talking about and does it have cones/protein in it? I want to get a good conditioning product that I could us as a leave in or pre treatment.

Thanks!
Melody

Fencai
June 26th, 2009, 08:04 AM
yes, my hair gets that tacky feel sometimes.
That's usually when I need to clarify, and then do a deep condition treatment on it, and its fine. I dont use cones either, but still find that I need to clarify every now and again.

manderly
June 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Clarify, SMT, then report back :D

Othala
June 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Heavy oiling, then clarify, do not condition, leave for 3 days and report back!

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Okay- That's what I was thinking.

But does anyone know about the stuff from sally's?

lora410
June 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM
For cones look on the back of the bottle but read this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13)FIRST then read this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44)

My hair goes through phases of liking cones and not liking cones; loving and oil and then hating it. My hair changes A LOT

misstwist
June 26th, 2009, 09:09 AM
When wondering about products will look as Sally's website and click on the ingredient tab. You can then look at the list and compare to any resource you have or google up the ingredient you have questions about.

That way you don't have to remember anything when you go look at the store or take a list with you to compare ingredients or rely on there being intelligent help in the store.

I'm not sure what mega moisture product you might be talking about at Sally's. When I enter that phrase in the search box there I get several products. Take a look and figure out which you were thinking about. http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=mega%20moisture&start=0&sz=48

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
When wondering about products will look as Sally's website and click on the ingredient tab. You can then look at the list and compare to any resource you have or google up the ingredient you have questions about.

That way you don't have to remember anything when you go look at the store or take a list with you to compare ingredients or rely on there being intelligent help in the store.

I'm not sure what mega moisture product you might be talking about at Sally's. When I enter that phrase in the search box there I get several products. Take a look and figure out which you were thinking about. http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-SA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=mega%20moisture&start=0&sz=48

I think it's the Loreal in the tub! thanks!

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM
You could try using another conditioner also.. I would heavy oil the night before, wake up and clarify, then try my usual conditioner.. if that didn't fix the problem, then I would swap conditioners.

Do you have a cat? You could also try a catnip soak for moisture :) My hair is beginning to hate protein treatments.. but here is my hair before and after the catnip.. I don't know if you can see a big difference? I only left my catnip on about 6mins.. I plan to try the full 30mins next time.

Before:
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4014.jpg

After:
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4035.jpg

redneckprincess
June 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
most deffinetly you could try changing your conditioner after clarifying... I love the jojoba oil but only use about 3 drops at a time as to not over oil. Good Luck!!

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM
most deffinetly you could try changing your conditioner after clarifying... I love the jojoba oil but only use about 3 drops at a time as to not over oil. Good Luck!!

I dont have a dropper with my jojoba oil, so i have to be wicked careful.

I have to find a conditioner that i like and maybe do a week at a time and switch off. I really like the coconut one i get now, but i think the protein is a bit must now.

AmyJorgensen
June 26th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It may be the Suave Coconut (protein) that is the issue. I used the Suave coconut conditioner for a while and my hair got into a horrible brittle tangly state. As soon as I started using a different Suave conditioner w/ no protein, my hair instantly started to go back to normal. For me, protein= :trainwreck:

junkyschristmas
June 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Maybe it is the shampoo? I have tried Burts Bees Grapefruit and Sugar beet shampoo and I found it very drying. I looked it up just now and it does have soy protein in it, so maybe that has something to do with it. I also just Googled "Burts Bees Grapefruit and Sugar beet shampoo reviews" and found many reviews complaining of the same thing. Worth considering...

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
It may be the Suave Coconut (protein) that is the issue. I used the Suave coconut conditioner for a while and my hair got into a horrible brittle tangly state. As soon as I started using a different Suave conditioner w/ no protein, my hair instantly started to go back to normal. For me, protein= :trainwreck:

I'm going to try another one for a while! thanks

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe it is the shampoo? I have tried Burts Bees Grapefruit and Sugar beet shampoo and I found it very drying. I looked it up just now and it does have soy protein in it, so maybe that has something to do with it. I also just Googled "Burts Bees Grapefruit and Sugar beet shampoo reviews" and found many reviews complaining of the same thing. Worth considering...

Thanks, i didnt know that. I dont actaully use it on my length though, but i'll have to start looking around for a new poo with out cones and sulfates.

rhubarbarin
June 26th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Burt's Bees shampoo destroys my hair.. love their conditioners though.

Oddly sulfates don't dry my hair at all, soap and non-SLS shampoo are just no good for me though. Also protein makes my hair like straw. That's often an issue with damaged hair.

melrose1985
June 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Burt's Bees shampoo destroys my hair.. love their conditioners though.

Really- I guess i might have to really stuff looking !

hennaphile
June 26th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ya, I'd recomend a gentler shampoo and maybe a different conditioner. I'm always one to suggests a good cassia too, you can find it really cheap ;) . Right now my hair is having some bad days, so I feel ya!

redneckprincess
June 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I dont have a dropper with my jojoba oil, so i have to be wicked careful.

I have to find a conditioner that i like and maybe do a week at a time and switch off. I really like the coconut one i get now, but i think the protein is a bit must now.
I also have to switch out both my shampoo and condit after about a week on and off so im constantly using a diffrent kins with a clarifying shampoo in between. My jojo dosent have a dropper either but a small hole in the lid. I never thought about having TOO much protein on the virgin hair......

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I hate burt's bees. It's drying as hell.

That said, try clarifying and switching conditioners. Suave Coconut DOES have protein. Try another 'flavor'--Sea Breeze is nearly as thick, without protein. Personally, I like the clarifying conditioner.

Eryka
June 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Protien is the devil for my hair. I suggest clarifying and then doing a deep condition. Fixes most problems, I swear.

*makes mental note to take own advice*

melrose1985
June 28th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Well i did it and i must say it feels okay- just still dry on the ends- so i'll keep trying

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
try some deep conditioning and keep oiling the ends, that should help :)

annielauri
June 28th, 2009, 06:03 PM
So weird that everyone is complaining about Burt's bees shampoo. I have been shampoo free for about a yr and a half. Only using shampoo bars CV. Yesterday, I was a sweat ball from mowing and my hair was pretty greasy. I had bought Burt's bees shampoo before I quit using it long ago and thought "What the heck?" When I put it on my hair to wash it, it felt like I had put glue on it. I couldn't even get to my scalp to scrub. It took forever to comb my hair out afterwards and that was with using conditioner too. Today it is frizzy as all get out. Guess I won't be using that again!

Darkhorse1
June 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
That shampoo made my hair so dry and gummy it was gross. AND, it didn't clean my scalp! I'm not surprised it's getting the same reviews by everyone.

I suggest an oiling with even olive oil, clarify and condition with a basic conditioner (no protein, cones optional). That should help. I love Herbal Essence degunkify. It's gentler than Pantene's clarifying shampoo.

Anje
June 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Tacky would be a good way to describe how my hair felt after a few weeks of using Suave coconut. Most of the other Suave Naturals lack protein, though, so I'd suggest that you just grab one of them. Clarify, SMT with the new conditioner, and perhaps SMT a few more times in the next few days. It'll get back to normal pretty fast.

aisling
June 29th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Heavy oiling, then clarify, do not condition, leave for 3 days and report back!

I really don't agree with this! I think you should always do a good deep treatment or at least condition well after clarifying.