PDA

View Full Version : Help me style my hair!

EtherealJane
April 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm totally new here--the only thread I've participated in thus far is the shampoo bar thread, so I'm still picking up the lingo and all the nuances of the community. That said, I need some help, since I'm so new to this.

I've never really styled my hair since I've had it this long. I JUST learned how to french braid, and I'm still practicing so it doesn't look all bumpy and awful. I'm the only person in my family (with 4 other females, I might add) that's ever had hair this long (for reference, my hair is about to the length of my bra strap, but I do have some layers in it. My hair is really fine, and very straight, but I have lots of it, if that helps :D ). I'd love to be able to do some of the updos and things here, and I've been checking out the articles section for all that. The embarrassing thing is that I don't own ANYTHING that would actually secure such a hair style.

I own not a single barrette, hair clip--nothing. I have some hair elastics without the metal part so it won't damage my hair, but that's it. And I have no clue where to start! Where can you get all the lovely things you all put in your hair? I live in the Atlanta area, and for now I'd *like* to be able to pick up some things locally so that I can play. Once I figure out what I like, I'm sure I'll be buying more *grin* Can you all recommend a) a good starter list of things I should pick up in order to put my hair up? ie, should I get those barette things that you put a stick through, the comby type things, hair sticks?? (I don't even know the right names for things! I feel so lost!) and b) an idea of a place to get them? It doesn't have to be the best quality stuff just yet--I'm simply looking to get my feet wet and try a few simple styles to see what types of tools I can get the hang of using.

I'm actually rather embarrassed...I don't know how I've made it to this length without having anything decrative at all to put in my hair. I appreciate any help that you knowledgeable LHCers can give me!

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Stores in the mall like Clare's and Icings have low-cost sticks and other hair-securing implements that you can buy. You can watch the swap threads on this site and get nice pieces for a reasonable cost. Nordstom Department Store has Ficarre clips; you must own at least one - it's required (well, not really). Claw clips are all over the place and very simple to use - twist hair up the back of your head, open claw clip, close over twist of hair - instant peacock twist!

Then there's the Internet - oh my!

angelthadiva
April 10th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Hi, welcome!

Can you all recommend a) a good starter list of things I should pick up in order to put my hair up? ie, should I get those barette things that you put a stick through, the comby type things, hair sticks?? (I don't even know the right names for things! I feel so lost!) and b) an idea of a place to get them? It doesn't have to be the best quality stuff just yet--I'm simply looking to get my feet wet and try a few simple styles to see what types of tools I can get the hang of using.

The hair elastics you have w/o the metal are good and very versatile. I would suggest going to the local mall, and check out Claire's or Icing (hair or accessories store), or if you have a Sally's Beauty Supply or a hair store (one you'd more so find in a typically urban area) will have a lot of what you are looking for. Check all the seams on the toys to make sure they are not jagged or have any rough edges.

I, me, personally don't use barretts, especially those w/the metal hinge style...My hair tends to get caught in them. I don't wear combs either. I use a lot of "hair friendly elastics, some scruchies, headbands, hair forks and sticks...I've tried out several lengths and materials, the plastic ones don't last long for me (they tend to snap)...The toy that has the stick that goes through it is called a "slide", those don't work well w/my hair either unless I anchor w/an elastic first...That tends to be the key w/styles that work for me, I have to anchor them first.

I don't know if that helps or not, but it should give you some ideas! :D

SM, we were posting at about the same time! Great minds think alike!

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
and another welcome to you :blossom:

I get most of my toys from Walmart and also Claires.They are great for beginners at updos like myself and cheap.I haven't been to Sally's yet to check out the selection but many many members shop there as well.

I recommend a hair fork of some kind.You can get the really nice ones from Etta Mae or a cheaper one from Walmart and such.

LifeisAdventure
April 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hello EtherealJane and welcome! :flower:

A starter list, hmmm... well, I'd recommend hair bands without metal pieces, a clip or two (something that looks like this http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AdocRmq2_FOKeM:http://www.store113-hairdressers4u.com/images/Blue%2520Hair%2520Clip.jpg or similar), bobby pins, and hair sticks to hit the ground running. Also a basic wide tooth comb if you like to or need to comb out your hair after washing. If it has rugged plastic edges, you can just file those down with a metal nail file to avoid snagging any hairs while you comb.

You can pick up basic versions of all of these things at Target, Walmart, pharmacies like CVS or Rite Aid, specialty stores like Sally's Beauty Supply or Ulta, or even a Claire's or Icing store at your local mall. Also, you can try out styles with hair sticks before you commit to buying one just by using a sharpened pencil, a knitting needle, the round end of a paintbrush, or anything similar-shaped that you have laying around the house. They don't work for every hair type, so it's good to be able to play around with the idea beforehand. :)

eBay.com and etsy.com are good places to look online if you want a broader idea of what is out there and how wide the price range is. Search for things like 'hair stick,' 'hair comb,' 'hair slide,' 'hair clip,' 'hair fork,' etc, and have fun! :)

Again, welcome to our community. We're always happy to have someone new join us in our obsession! :cheese:

Irishred
April 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Wal-mart and Walgreens are my favorite 2 places, Sally's is great for somethings like combs but I find their selections of toys to be limited. . Really you can shop most anywhere, just be selective in what you are buying. Watch for sharp edges and seams. You don't have to pay a lot for good things just be a good shopper and know your budget.

A Starter list:
a wide tooth comb (buy a seamless or file the edges of a cheap one)
a nice finer tooth com (seamless)
a boar bristle brush (BBB) (for smoothing or brushing) --- optional

metal free elastics (you got that)
claw clips of various sizes
barrettes - I have a few with the frech clips but rarely use them, I prefer the other kind that are a simple slide under
headbands - only if you like them. I only have a couple I can wear so I just don't have many.
scrunchies - these are the cloth covered elastics. They can be lots of fin and add flare to simple styles.

Getting more complicated:
sticks
pins (amish hair pins or goody not bobby pins)
forks
slides
bun covers
snoods

That would be a good start.

Good luck and have fun :)

ETA: wow, think I posted almost the same thing as Life, just in a list. That's what I get for skipping to reply :P

Anje
April 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
My standard list, and the items that I would recommend are:

Hair-friendly elastics (metal-free is good, seamless is better)
Widetooth comb without sharp/rough edges (horn is a great material)
Thin double-pointed knitting needles, bent in half ("Wavelength pins")
U-shaped hair pins
Hairsticks (Try Claire's/Icing, and international/asian stores for decorative chopsticks that can be cut to size)
Ficcare or fake equivalent
Satin sleep bonnet

I have other items, but these are what I actually use most of the time. I'm not a fan of claw clips because they tend to pull for me (also, many have sharp seams), but YMMV.
Concerning the sleep bonnet: yeah, it looks silly. The idea is that slick materials create less friction and breakage when you're sleeping than standard cotton pillowcases. Some people like satin or silk pillowcases -- I find that much of my hair doesn't end up on the pillowcase, polyester satin doesn't feel good on my face, and that my cat munches my braid while I sleep, so I use a bonnet.

mommy2one05
April 11th, 2008, 11:03 PM
My standard list, and the items that I would recommend are:
Hair-friendly elastics (metal-free is good, seamless is better)
Widetooth comb without sharp/rough edges (horn is a great material)
Thin double-pointed knitting needles, bent in half ("Wavelength pins")
U-shaped hair pins
Hairsticks (Try Claire's/Icing, and international/asian stores for decorative chopsticks that can be cut to size)
Ficcare or fake equivalent
Satin sleep bonnet
I have other items, but these are what I actually use most of the time. I'm not a fan of claw clips because they tend to pull for me (also, many have sharp seams), but YMMV.
Concerning the sleep bonnet: yeah, it looks silly. The idea is that slick materials create less friction and breakage when you're sleeping than standard cotton pillowcases. Some people like satin or silk pillowcases -- I find that much of my hair doesn't end up on the pillowcase, polyester satin doesn't feel good on my face, and that my cat munches my braid while I sleep, so I use a bonnet.

I was gonna get knitting needles at my local walmart to bend in half and try for my updos cause my hair pins dont hold well and snag hairs out and claw clips dont stay in my thick hair but the only knitting needles they have are pointed on one end and have a round ball thing on the other end.

EtherealJane
April 12th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you all SO much for your help and advice--I had really no clue where to start!

Anje, what would you do with the knitting needles? Do you have a picture or could you describe how you would use this? I'm so inept I can't seem to picture how to use them, but I'm quite intrigued!

So far, I have a wooden seamless comb that my hair and scalp seems to love. I bought a simple slide that works to hold updos (I tried one yesterday and although sloppy, it worked!!!). I also bought some small claw clips to pull my hair partially back/out of my face but still leave it down. So far so good!

I now want to get a ficarre clip (i'd call you all evil enablers, but I have a feeling that everyone covets one after hanging out here for a short while!).

While I'm asking total novice questions... how exactly does one use a hair fork? I'd also like one of those, but I'm totally perplexed as to how it manages to hold hair.

mommy2one05
April 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Thank you all SO much for your help and advice--I had really no clue where to start!

Anje, what would you do with the knitting needles? Do you have a picture or could you describe how you would use this? I'm so inept I can't seem to picture how to use them, but I'm quite intrigued!

So far, I have a wooden seamless comb that my hair and scalp seems to love. I bought a simple slide that works to hold updos (I tried one yesterday and although sloppy, it worked!!!). I also bought some small claw clips to pull my hair partially back/out of my face but still leave it down. So far so good!

I now want to get a ficarre clip (i'd call you all evil enablers, but I have a feeling that everyone covets one after hanging out here for a short while!).

While I'm asking total novice questions... how exactly does one use a hair fork? I'd also like one of those, but I'm totally perplexed as to how it manages to hold hair.

I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I am still lost when it comes to putting my hair up much. I am still learning ( or at least trying).

EtherealJane
April 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I am still lost when it comes to putting my hair up much. I am still learning ( or at least trying).

That's ok! I can be patient :D Honestly, my hair has looked and felt sooo much better the past 2 weeks that I've been lurking/joined the community, I know that eventually I'll figure it all out. I found a website linked to in another thread (I can't remember by who) but it's got some great instructions there. I tried a rope braid, and it worked... but my many layers made it look icky. I'll have to try that again once they grow out more.