PDA

View Full Version : Beaded Hair?

Elizabeth
April 10th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Has anyone ever been told they have “beaded” hair? I found someone I trust to cut my hair where I live. He does a great job and is long hair friendly! Anyway, he told me my hair was beaded, which is why it looks so shiny. The down side is that it is more fragile at the narrowed areas and can break easily. Apparently beaded hair does not grow uniformly in a round shaft shape, but would look more like pop beads if you could see it under a microscope. If you slid your fingers down the hair shaft you can feel the irregularities.

Just wondered if anyone else had beaded hair, and how long they were able to grow it without a lot of breakage.

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Not beaded, but oval hair here, which is why all my 80s perms didn't hold like they should. :lol: You can feel it too when rolling a hair between the fingers.

Never heard about beaded hair though :)

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
never heard of this saying? i dont fully understand what you mean???

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
It means when you run your fingers along a hair it will feel as if there are beads on a string.

Elizabeth
April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Exactly,eadwine. When you look at it with a naked eye it doesn’t look any different, other than really shiny. When you slide you fingers down the shaft though you can feel undulations. I was told my hair looks so shiny because the light reflects off the “beads.”

It’s funny that you mentioned that your hair didn’t take permanents, because neither does mine. I remember getting an Orphan Annie perm and waking up the next day to poker straight hair! Weird!

angelthadiva
April 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Wow, never heard of that expression!

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 11:46 AM
It's not that the perm didn't hold.. but it's that it held.. umm..

BOOM!!!

Does that make sense enough? :lol:

Isilya
April 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
@ eadwine: If you mean those perms made you look like a poodle with a bad hair day, yes it does :D

BlndeInDisguise
April 10th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I wonder if that's the way my hair is....it's not smooth when you run your finger down it, but it is shiny, and it does seem to be fragile. I always thought that it wasn't smooth because it was somehow damaged or for whatever reason the cuticles didn't close.....wish I had a microscope. :D

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 12:45 PM
@ eadwine: If you mean those perms made you look like a poodle with a bad hair day, yes it does :D
*barkbark*
YEP! :lol:

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
WOO how cool mine does to. I never noticed that. I always just though my hair was never moisturized enough so thats why it always felt slightly rough and wasn't disgustingly smooth.!! My hair though wouldn't snap easily unless I gave it a good yank.

Silver & Gold
April 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
My mother has beaded hair. She was first told this when she went to a beauty shop. It actually started out bad because they mistook her beaded hair and thought she had head lice. The one beautician called over another who looked at my mother's hair and told her that no, she didn't have head lice, she had beaded hair.
My mother has never chose to wear her hair much longer than somewhere around shoulder length so I have no idea what her terminal length would be.
Her hair was very strong and thick when she was younger but I do recall recently (she is currently 68 years old) that she was complaining about her hair breaking quite a bit lately. She currently wears her hair just long enough to put into a short, low ponytail and wears it like this always.