PDA

View Full Version : Over-oiled my hair - help!

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I've used a bit too much coconut oil and my hair is disgustingly oily. Several hours after oiling it, I just had to wash my hands after braiding because they were so oily :mad:

I can't wash it again until at least Saturday.

Help!!

Is there any way I can get some of the oil off? How long will it take to soak in (if it will)? What can I do?

swanns
June 25th, 2009, 01:58 PM
What I do is I just bun it and maybe put a scarf on if the oil is VERY visible. That or just give in and wash it again even if I'd just washed it.

jeno
June 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Toiletpaper. Just squeeze it with soft paper tissues or toiletpaper. Did you put the oil on when the hair was dry or wet? You could try wetting it again and then use the paper on it.

Periwinkle
June 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I oiled it when it was wet.

Sarah4983
June 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Periwinkle - I did the SAME THING last night!!! I had put what I thought was a small amount of coconut oil in my hair while it was wet after washing, and a few hours later it still looked wet.

I ended up putting it in a braid which worked because then it just looked super shiny and not wet.

Took the braid out and today it looks as though my hair soaked a lot of it up because it's definitely not as oily.

demitasse
June 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I did the same thing the first time I tried coconut oil too but I had no qualms about just washing it out. I've got BSL thick, thick hair and I use the teeniest dab on my fingertip. It's plenty. Less is definitely :)

Maybe you could try a blow dryer set on cool/cold. No heat but the power might help get rid of at least some of it. Turn your head upside down and run the dryer over it. I'd keep my hands out of it though as that would probably just keep coating it.

Fractalsofhair
June 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Are you going anywhere important where you need to look good? Water doesn't seem to get the oil out that easily. If you're not going anywhere important, I suggest just putting it up and letting your hair soak in the oils(Which is will probably love.)! If you do have an important place to be, a very gentle wash or CO wash might be worth it. I find CO washing with Burt's Bee's Super Shiny to be more drying than my SC with Alaffia, though Super Shiny is a more drying line, but COing does take more oil out of my hair than SC.

hellkitty
June 25th, 2009, 04:21 PM
50/50 cornstarch and baking soda. It's basically a dry shampoo. You powder it into your hair, wait a few minutes, and then brush brush brush. Should take out the worst of it.

You can also put a drop or two of an essential oil in if you want to be all spiffy.

Guess who's had to do this, too?

HK

ColoradoDreamer
June 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't tried this yet, so I can't vouch for how it works, but I did read in a natural beauty care book that regular cornmeal massaged through hair and then brushed out with a clean brush is good for cleaning oily hair. Seems like it would work to remove excess oil too.

Delila
June 26th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I've found that I need to wait for my hair to dry before oiling. Failing that, I need to wait for it to dry before adding a lot of CO conditioner, letting it sit a while, massaging it through my hair, then rinsing.

(I've pretty much given up oiling, since I find it so easy to overdo it.
My hair's pretty fine and on the thin side of normal, so it doesn't take much to overwhelm it.)

hennaphile
June 27th, 2009, 02:29 AM
50/50 cornstarch and baking soda. It's basically a dry shampoo. You powder it into your hair, wait a few minutes, and then brush brush brush. Should take out the worst of it.

You can also put a drop or two of an essential oil in if you want to be all spiffy.

Guess who's had to do this, too?

HK

Does that dry it out??

Deborah
June 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM
It' not that difficult. Just wash it again. :)

blendedchaitea
June 27th, 2009, 04:04 PM
When my hair is oily and gross and I don't have time or the inclination to wash it, I rub some baby powder (talcum powder) in through the grease. It takes away some of the shine and stringiness, and I make sure to wash it out the next chance I get.

babydollringlet
June 27th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The same thing happened to me today! My hair is soak in olive oil. I'm planning to cowash today. Hopefully it will remove some of the oils.

hennaphile
June 28th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Last night I found out what I'd look like with gray hair I put in so much baking soda and corn starch to absorb the oil. So what happens after I wash it?

IT'S STILL THERE AAAHHHH!!!!! This is recalcitrant oil.