PDA

View Full Version : Cocoa / Shea Butter hair crème

kimberlily
March 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
There are two versions of this recipe. The shea version has less liquid in it since shea is softer than cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter hair crème
1oz sweet almond oil
2oz jojoba oil
8oz cocoa butter
Essential oils of your choice

Combine all ingredients, and stir well. Pour into sterilized jars and let sit until it solidifies. It will have the consistency of soft butter at 70 degrees. Melt a small amount in your hands and use on wet or dry hair to keep ends soft and free of splits. A little goes a very long way! Keep in a cool place or it will melt.

Shea Butter hair crème
1/2 oz sweet almond oil
1oz jojoba oil
8oz shea butter

Combine all ingredients, and stir well. Pour into sterilized jars and let sit until it solidifies. It will have the consistency of soft butter at 70 degrees. Melt a small amount in your hands and use on wet or dry hair to keep ends soft and free of splits. A little goes a very long way! Keep in a cool place or it will melt.

brok3nwings
March 9th, 2008, 09:41 AM
I use shea butter with a drop of jojoba oil and i like it :)

Patrycja
March 9th, 2008, 11:09 AM
thanks so much again for some shea recipes.Do you have any for Hair Butter by any chance?

wait,are these considered butters?

again-I need to read things throughly.I just saw your post about hair butters.

shellblue1
March 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Cool recipes. :) Thanks!

yzkaloha
March 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks, I just recently started experimenting with Shea Butter in my hair... and I love it!!

How do you heat your shea butter in order to get it liquid enough to mix with the other ingredients?

kimberlily
March 9th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks, I just recently started experimenting with Shea Butter in my hair... and I love it!!

How do you heat your shea butter in order to get it liquid enough to mix with the other ingredients?

Before I bought a double boiler, I put it in a pyrex measuring cup in a pot of hot water until it melted.

chloeishere
March 10th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Er... I just melt mine in the microwave. Takes very little time.

*Chloe is only slightly ashamed of her lazy shortcut*

Cricket
March 10th, 2008, 03:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about the being lazy part, there are probably a ton of us that microwave. I'd think that the most important part would be to wait until the whole thing cools a bit (but not solidified) so that any EO's that are added don't burn off.

yzkaloha
March 10th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Before I bought a double boiler, I put it in a pyrex measuring cup in a pot of hot water until it melted.

Er... I just melt mine in the microwave. Takes very little time.

*Chloe is only slightly ashamed of her lazy shortcut*

I wouldn't worry about the being lazy part, there are probably a ton of us that microwave. I'd think that the most important part would be to wait until the whole thing cools a bit (but not solidified) so that any EO's that are added don't burn off.

Thank you Kimberlily and Cricket;5529.

Chloe, if I wasn't afraid that the microwave would have negative affects on the shea, I would microwave it too;).

LilyMunster
March 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Summertime I put jars in window sill to melt. Then do the blending.
Wintertime I put the jars atop the clothes dryer. Then blend.

kimberlily
March 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I don't microwave oils simply because they tend to spit and bubble and make a huge mess ;)

Ruadh
March 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM
When baking and I need to soften butter I set it on the oven during warming. It melts in no time. Of course, you probably don't want to turn on the oven just for the cocoa/shea but if its already on.......

FullBelly
March 17th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Can I just place all ingredients directly into my Cuisinart food processor (without melting), and blend until smooth?

Leisha
March 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I made a hair butter based on your recipe, with
Shea butter
Coconut oil (the kind that solidifies)
Jojoba oil
few drops of EO

I can't for the life of me remember the exact quantities though :rolleyes: ... I don't know why I don't write these sort of things down for next time... i remember I had to experiment a bit to have a nice consistency, not too runny and not too hard (although it also depens on the season. In high summer it melts anyway)

It was about the same quantity of shea butter and coconut oil, and then only about half that quantity of jojoba.. I think!

Anyway thanks for posting these recipes (with quantities ;))!

Mahars
March 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks Kimberlily. Have you ever combined shea butter with coconut oil? I was thinking of trying to do something with both, but I'm not sure how the texture would be. If you have a recipe, please share. Thanks!

kimberlily
March 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Mahars, I've combined shea and coconut. They blend beautifully :)

FullBelly, I'd imagine that would work. The speed of the mixer would warm the solids enough that they should blend nicely. I wouldn't do it with the cocoa butter though, since it is pretty solid.

Catladyintown
March 17th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Thank you Kimberlily for starting this thread. I will try some of the recipes. This might be a dump question but what does cocoa butter do for the hair. I know about Shea and coconut butters, but I know nothing about cocoa butter. Catladyintown

kimberlily
March 17th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Catladyintown, it is somewhat similar to shea :) I have a friend who can't use coconut or shea due to allergies, but I made her a batch with cocoa butter and it works out beautifully for her curly hair.

Catladyintown
March 17th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Kimberlily I going to buy some. :-)

Anje
March 18th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Erm, Kimberlily, shouldn't the Shea Butter Hair Creme have shea butter in it, not cocoa butter?

sorry....

kimberlily
March 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Erm, Kimberlily, shouldn't the Shea Butter Hair Creme have shea butter in it, not cocoa butter?

sorry....

OMG! Thanks for pointing that out. I think my brain is broken :lol:

auntdaisy
March 18th, 2008, 04:10 PM
The shea version has less liquid in it since shea is softer than cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter hair crème
1oz sweet almond oil
2oz jojoba oil
8oz cocoa butter

Shea Butter hair crème
1/2 oz sweet almond oil
1oz jojoba oil
8oz shea butter

Is the shea version also less liquid because it has less almond and jojoba oil, or do you use less because shea is softer? Just wondering if there was a mistake in 2nd recipe....can't wait to try these, I have all the ingredients on hand :cheese:

kimberlily
March 18th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Shea is less solid that cocoa butter, which is why there is less almond and jojoba in the shea version :)

Catladyintown
March 18th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Kimberlily one more question. What if you don't have Jojoba or Almond Oil. Can you use Camellia and Grapeseed oil. Or does it have to be these particular oils. Thank Catladyintown

kimberlily
March 18th, 2008, 05:30 PM
No, it doesn't matter. Substitute to your heart's content! So long as they're oils your hair likes, you're good to go. Experimentation is fun ;)

CaityBear
March 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I have shea butter now and I have cocoa butter...but I don't have jojoba or sweet almond oil yet. o_O I think I ordered some sweet almond oil with some essential oils a while ago though.

Rain
April 8th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Here is the important question. Does the cocoa butter cream smell like chocolate after you add other oils to it?

kimberlily
April 8th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Yes, but milder, unless you buy deodorized cocoa butter, then it has no odor.

Rain
April 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Yes, but milder, unless you buy deodorized cocoa butter, then it has no odor.

Hmmmm. Do you know of a good chocolatey cocoa butter? I Googled and found Mountain Rose Herbs sells it. I could get 8oz for $7. I don't know if that's a good price or not. I know it's much less than Oyin Whipped Pudding but I need it to be chocolatey. :ponder:

kimberlily
April 9th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I've bought cocoa butter from From Nature With Love (http://fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/product.asp?product_id=butcocoa). It is nice and chocolatey (now I've got a chocolate craving... that stuff smells like heaven!) I've heard that Garden of Wisdom's (http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/catalog/item/4019979/3811934.htm) cocoa butter is good too, but I haven't tried it. It is much less expensive.

chloeishere
April 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I just ordered some cocoa butter from Garden of Wisdom, so I should be able to let y'all know within a week. They ship fast. Probably will ship tomorrow or Thursday. It was 6.70 for 15 ounces (+ actual priority mail shipping cost).
I also got a big bottle of sunflower oil, which I might try putting in this blend. It is a rather heavy oil, but my hair loves it! And it's really cheap. I think maybe I'll be smart and leave it out, unless I'm just planning to use it for heavy oilings. And a few little bottles of oil, I always use an order from GoW as an excuse to try some new oils-- I got camellia, neem, and amla this time. And a bottle of cinnamon EO, because I love the scent of cinnamon. :D

Rain
April 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I bought emu oil on the cheap from Garden of Wisdom once and it smelled like chicken fat so I'm a little afraid of the cocoa butter. I will definitely be interested to see how chocolatey it is. And thanks for the link to FNWL. I might end up ordering there. I am waiting and thinking about it for now. It helps that I am broke, ha ha. :neutral:

chloeishere
April 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ugh! I've been tempted to order emu oil too, but I've heard it smells bad. Since I decided to get neem this time, I limited myself to one bad-smelling oil per order. Neem is supposed to smell like really strong garlic...but worse. I'm hoping, if diluted enough... :D
Have you tried emu oil before? Does it normally smell different? I'm just wondering if Garden of Wisdom has a bad supplier, or if it's just that emu oil stinks.

Rain
April 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Neem does have a pretty "special" smell. :lol:

Good quality emu oil doesn't have much of a smell at all. The Desert Palms Emu brand is good. Pricey, but worth it to not smell like poultry.

chloeishere
April 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hmm, well thank you for the information! I'll be sure not to get emu oil there. My shea butter from garden of wisdom smells (as does the avocado oil, though it's not strong) but everything else has been fine, and of good quality. I like their skin stuff, too.
I'll let you know as soon as I get the package about the chocolateyness.
I have an old jar of Palmer's cocoa butter that I LOVE the smell of, but of course it contains as much mineral oil as cocoa butter, so I haven't used it in years. Maybe if I find the jar and clean it out, I can recycle it for hair creme... oooh!
Off to hunt!

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Rain, I just made the cocoa butter recipe (a much smaller batch--recipe in my blog), and added a bit of sweet orange EO and it smells like HEAVEN. Orange is supposed to bring out the smell of chocolate--which is what I was looking for. I'm also going to experiment with using coconut oil--two more scents I like together.

My cocoa butter by the way is an old jar of Aura Casia.

physicschick
April 9th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I bought cocoa butter from thesage.com (http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html), a soap supply site. It's nice and chocolatey. Price is $5 for 8 oz.

Rain
April 9th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you so much! That is the best price I've seen so far. The shipping is more than the product but at least it isn't $30. I got 8oz for $11.64 shipped. I can do that! Yay!

Shell, I love orange with chocolate. That sounds divine.

Shell
April 10th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Thank you so much! That is the best price I've seen so far. The shipping is more than the product but at least it isn't $30. I got 8oz for $11.64 shipped. I can do that! Yay!

Shell, I love orange with chocolate. That sounds divine.

It smells so good--I used it on my face and hair this morning. And, physicschick is right--I had to add way more oil to my mix to get it soft--it's still a bit hard. Oh, well, I guesstimated anyway, and it turned out great!

chloeishere
April 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
Well, this discussion died a while ago, but I finally got my cocoa butter today! And yes, it smells wonderful and very chocolatey.
On a (somewhat) related note (related because I intend to put a few drops in my cocoa butter creme)-- the neem does not smell nearly as gross as I expected. I mean, don't get me wrong, I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to smell like it, but it's not vomit-inducing, or anything. Just unpleasant.
I don't think it smells really strongly like garlic, either. Kind of like lettuce (green-smelling), cilantro, and a touch of garlic maybe. But not really like any of those, and less tasty than those would be, say, in a salad. This doesn't smell good. But it's not as bad as I'd expected!

So, Garden of Wisdom does have (really) good smelling cocoa butter! I rather like the smell of the sunflower seed oil, as well. I didn't expect much of a smell, but it smells a lot less "fatty" than other sunflower seed oil batches that I've smelled.

I'm planning on making up a batch of this tonight! I'm going to go a bit heavier on the oils, just to make sure it's nice and soft.

PseudoScot
April 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
Ooh! I just found this recipe and I can't wait to try it!

Is there any reason you couldn't substitute the EOs for BPAL?

icing
April 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Ooh! I just found this recipe and I can't wait to try it!

Is there any reason you couldn't substitute the EOs for BPAL?

I usually use BPAL in place of straight essential oils, and I’ve yet to notice a difference in how they react. For what it’s worth, I also use them in my shampoos, leave-ins, and body lotions… sometimes the shampoos and conditioners react by turning extra runny (which was actually a nice thing when it came to the leave-ins), but other than needing to be a little more careful about using too much, along with having extra-awesome scented products, I haven’t noticed any differences. :P

FB
April 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Cool recipe thanks for the tips!!!

CLCNY20
April 26th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I've just discovered the wonderfulness that is shea butter today. It smells awesome. I have yet to get the cocoa butter--just heard about the moisturizing properties of shea, and had to try.

I'm trying to think of how to make shea-based shampoos/conditioners for my type 4 hair.

By the way, I keep asking, lol, but which thread do I go to, to find out my hair type?

Elettaria
July 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Tell you what I'm dying to try: coffee butter. Add that to cocoa butter and I'd be distracted all day. Has anyone here used it? It's meant to be good stuff for both skin and hair.

I'd imagine that perfume oils should be OK, since I've seen a number of recipes on this board which say EOs when they actually seem to mean fragrance oils. There was a recipe I just saw which listed vanilla EO, for instance. Vanilla essential oil doesn't exist; vanilla absolute does, but it's so fearsomely expensive (£92 for 10ml at Essentially Oils, who are one of the cheaper reputable suppliers I know - you can see their price list at http://www.essentiallyoils.com/Oddments/Price_List_Download/2007_list.pdf) that I can pretty much guarantee that this isn't what's being used in the recipes here. Mind you, I'm tempted to try Essentially Oils' 5% dilution vanilla oil, that's affordable, though I have no idea whether the fragrance at that dilution will be strong enough to be worthwhile when added to other things. I have no idea what the therapeutic properties of vanilla might be, it's not used in aromatherapy, but it'd certainly be deeply yummy with coffee and cocoa butter.

physicschick
July 5th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I had some coffee butter and tried making body butter out of it for friends, but I never tried it on my hair, since I dislike the smell of coffee. It isn't as stiff as cocoa butter or shea, so I didn't like the texture as well for body butter purposes. Also, the smell is quite powerful. In a mix with equal parts cocoa and coffee butter, you would mainly smell the coffee if it's like the stuff I had.

Elettaria
July 7th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Whereas I do like the smell (though not the taste, unless it's in ice cream) of coffee, and my boyfriend utterly adores coffee in all its forms. Still, I'd prefer it to be within reason. The shea butter I have at the moment is far too still and grainy to use on its own (Raw Gaia, generally a good company but must have slipped up here), not to mention having a slightly odd smell, so something thinner with a strong fragrance might be perfect for mixing with it.

Nini
July 7th, 2008, 09:37 AM
The shea butter I have at the moment is far too still and grainy to use on its own (Raw Gaia, generally a good company but must have slipped up here), not to mention having a slightly odd smell, so something thinner with a strong fragrance might be perfect for mixing with it.

It sounds like you've gotten raw, unrefined shea butter. That is slightly grainy, and has a nutty/earthy smell. I use it straight as a body oil. I just need to warm it in my hands before applying it.

I also had a batch that melted by accident, and that was easier to melt and to apply after.

Nini

Elettaria
July 7th, 2008, 11:37 AM
got a bit of apricot kernal oil in it, and it was sold to me as a smooth body butter than can be easily smeared onto the skin. I find that even if I devote quite a bit of time trying to melt it in my hands, it's still so stiff as to be pretty much unusable. It's really hard to apply, it takes more strength than I have in my hands to manipulate and I have to rub so hard to get it to dissolve on my skin that my skin is red and irritated for some time afterwards (from the rubbing and the graininess). Not a very impressive product. I've tried diluting it 1:1 with non-fractionated coconut oil, but it was still terribly awkward to apply. What do youu reckon I shosuld do? Melt it?

Nini
July 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
What do youu reckon I shosuld do? Melt it?

Well, you could put it in a hot water bath and see how it acts after that. It will dissolve, before setting again.

You could also try mixing in some other oil while it's still fluid.

It is a bit weird you have such a hard time dissolving it though... I use it one my eczema hands and as long as my hands, and my bathroom arent't freezing I have no trouble getting it to a spreadable consistence.

Nini

chesapeake
October 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I just thought I'd add that the cocoa butter hair creme is almost identical to my pregnant mama belly and breast cream recipe to prevent stretchmarks. 2 birds with one stone...

snnej
January 26th, 2010, 01:38 PM
There are two versions of this recipe. The shea version has less liquid in it since shea is softer than cocoa butter.

Cocoa Butter hair crème
1oz sweet almond oil
2oz jojoba oil
8oz cocoa butter

Shea Butter hair crème
1/2 oz sweet almond oil
1oz jojoba oil
8oz shea butter

I made this recipe with a few tweeks and I use it on my psoriasis and as a regular skin moisturizer. Its wonderful!! I use coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil and rose oil. Melt it all and whip it up using a mixer then put it in the fridge to cool down.

Rhiannon7
January 29th, 2010, 04:42 AM
I use the same recipe but take out the jojoba oil. (Jojoba oil is too heavy for my hair and can never find pure jojoba oil, only massage type jojoba oil.) and love how my hair responds to Shea Butter. hair is shiny, soft and manegable and even tangles less and has much less split ends than before i started using Shea Butter and Almond Oil. i put a small fingernail worth of shea butter mix on ends at night after braiding.

Sissy
January 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Cocoa Butter hair crème
1oz sweet almond oil
2oz jojoba oil
8oz cocoa butter

Shea Butter hair crème
1/2 oz sweet almond oil
1oz jojoba oil
8oz shea butter

Thanks for the fantastic recipe. There are some products very similar to this on CV's website. It's nice to be able to make our own products! I have shea butter, almond oil, and jojoba oil so I'll be sure to make this soon.

Natalia
March 9th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Was just going through the VIT's and this reminded me that i need to pull out my coca butter! I think i will make both versions down the line for now my hair had flipped personalities on me so im back to experimenting again i like to start with singles rather than combos but i think my new hair would like these :D

Angel_099
March 11th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for these ideas! I've got some unrefined shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil...no sweet almond oil yet, but I want to experiment with what I've got. I was wondering if I took an empty lotion containter and just cleaned it out with some mild soap and water...would that be sanitized "enough" to keep my mix from going rancid?

bigeyedgirl829
March 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Sounds lovely!

nory87
April 19th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I cannot wait to try this recipe! Does anyone knows how long does a batch last?

pixiestar
April 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm going to try this:) sounds great, can't wait to order the ingredients:D

WittyWordsmith
May 26th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Finding this thread just made me more excited for my cocoa butter and sweet almond oil to arrive. Hopefully they come today!!

I only have 4 oz. of cocoa butter, so I'm guessing I should just do 50% of the recipe.

Do people generally use this to tame frizz, or just to protect their ends?

andryssa
February 1st, 2018, 11:12 AM
I've just realized that I have all ingredients for the second recipe and it sounds amazing. Thank you for the tip! :)