PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil and henna fading

Jenny.Wren
June 25th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I came across this comment on another thread and wondered if it meant that coconut oil can fade henna (it's the remark about coconut oil having a decent peroxide value) - or have I got it wrong? :confused:

I don't think cones vs. non cones is going to do much. There's lots of info in the honey thread on henna fading. I have I think 4 full on applications on my head, but I haven't done on in 2 months and its starting to fade. I also regularly use coconut oil, which has a decent peroxide value. I've done coconut cream moisturizing treatments too, so those could contribute.

Kirin
June 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Oil's don't contain a peroxide value.. . at least never that I have ever heard of... I've never heard of such a thing. Coconut oil will also not fade BAQ henna, its actually used in a lot of henna mixes for moisture and does not inhibit or lighten dye uptake.

Other oils may help leech out henna in the hair shaft, but not through peroxide.

Jenny.Wren
June 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Oil's don't contain a peroxide value.. . at least never that I have ever heard of...

this is what confused me :confused: that's why, being new to coconut oil, i'd better check.

Norai
June 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I use quite a bit of oils, coconut included, and my henna does fade some over the course of a month... I don't know how much fading is normal, but I'm still doing full-head hennas so it doesn't make much difference. ;)

Sokudo Ningyou
June 25th, 2009, 08:23 PM
As far as I understand, only virgin coconut oil would even affect it, and not much at all by itself. Usually it's paired with the honey. If you're concerned, you could always heat it before applying; heat kills the peroxide effect in honey, I'm sure it would do the same with VCO.

Roseate
June 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Maybe Ktani will come help us out here. According to the honey thread, coconut oil does have some kind of peroxide value, but I don't know if that's only in combination with other things, or at a certain ph, or ????

I know using coconut oil alone doesn't generally lighten hair at all, so I'm guessing it acts as some kind of booster to the honey treatment but not on its own.

Moonstruck
June 26th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I'm guessing that the normal peroxide value of it is very low, even in extra virgin coconut oil. On top of that, it may need certain specific conditions to really have an effect. The peroxide also probably needs to be in an aqueous condition to really work - aka, if you're putting it on dry, nothing should really happen. Even if you are putting it onto wet hair, it's a VERY low dilution of peroxide, since CO has significantly less peroxide than honey already.

And on top of all that, when you do a honey lightening, you're not just putting a little dab of honey on the ends of your hair - you're really glopping it on. Any lightening of the henna that you see would probably not be noticeably more than how the ends of hair get lighter over time anyhow.

In the case of the other poster, the cream conditioner is most likely being used heavily, and in an aqueous solution. I wouldn't consider that anything like how coconut oil is usually used.

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
According to ktani, they can have a peroxide value in combination with other things, or something like that. I'm sure she'll be happy to clarify.

However, I use TONS of coconut oil, and my henna has stayed the same. A pity too; I can think of a few people who'd be HAPPY if coconut oil could remove henna. XD

getoffmyskittle
June 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Coconut oil has peroxide value? News to me - and to my grandma, who told me to use coconut oil to make my hair soft and black. :lol:

Heidi_234
June 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Coconut oil does contain peroxide, but not in such amounts or strength to lighten hair. EVOO is the oil with the highest peroxide value, but again, it doesn't mean it would lighten hair, or fade henna for that matter. If coconut oil did lighten hair, LHCers would notice the change, as so many use it frequently (me for intense, on daily basis, sometimes few times a day).
I'm a hennahead, and coconut oil user, but I can't testify on first hand experience, as I swim alot, and I bet chlorine fades/lightens color much more aggressively than coconut oil.
And just to clarify, microwaving honey kills the enzyme that produces peroxide, that's why it's recommended to heat it if you wish to do conditioning treatments with honey without risking in lightening your hair. I'm pretty sure that coconut oil doesn't contain enzymes of the sort, so heating it up might have no affect. Again, not that there's an actual affect to speak of.

Unofficial_Rose
July 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
The person quoted also mentions coconut cream. Now I think that really does pull out henna. Which is why I always resort to it when I've overdone it and gone too dark with henna. Not sure that coconut oil does?

Heidi_234
July 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
The person quoted also mentions coconut cream. Now I think that really does pull out henna. Which is why I always resort to it when I've overdone it and gone too dark with henna. Not sure that coconut oil does?
If ONLY coconut milk did pull henna out...
If you see your henna bleeding into the coconut milk not long after you hennaed, it's not the coconut milk, it's just henna that didn't bind to the hair being washed away. When you just wash you might not see the bleeding, but if you soak your hair into a bowl with a liquid you'll see the henna orange staining it.

HoneyBunBun
August 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
If ONLY coconut milk did pull henna out...
If you see your henna bleeding into the coconut milk not long after you hennaed, it's not the coconut milk, it's just henna that didn't bind to the hair being washed away. When you just wash you might not see the bleeding, but if you soak your hair into a bowl with a liquid you'll see the henna orange staining it.

I'm so happy I came across this thread! I don't know if this helps anyone regarding coconut milk/honey/oil but when I henna my hair, I actually use coconut milk and honey as a way to rinse my henna out (instead of shampoo). It helps to get out all those globs when I'm standing under the shower head but otherwise I don't think I've noticed an issue with lightening or other color change.

hele911
August 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
have to agree with you HBB, I used too much indigo a while back and I use coconut oil almost every time I rinse hair and it has not lightened it one bit.

Also try adding oil to henna with you mix before dye release, it has made rinsing a breeze.