PDA

View Full Version : hypothetically... long or short?

smerrie
June 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Just a random question/survey :)

Say, hypothetically, that your hair was never going to change/grow/etc. for the rest of your life.

And you had to choose between having shoulder-length, incredibly healthy full hair OR super long, but damaged and dry strands. Which would you choose?

You CAN NOT say long and that you would get them back into shape, they would be permanently and forever dry and split.

(Essentially, my question is, what is more important, health or length?)

Eden Iris
June 25th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Healthy and short for the win!

Ryanne
June 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Healthy hair, definitely.

LovingLife
June 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM
It would have to be healthy... sob, but could I colour or style it any way I want? Because eternally healthy hair would be nice!

:blossom:

swanns
June 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I would probably choose long & damaged. I have a lenght obsession :D

Toof
June 25th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Health. But really, it those were the only options, I'd just shave my head. :toofers:

smerrie
June 25th, 2009, 11:33 AM
It would have to be healthy... sob, but could I colour or style it any way I want? Because eternally healthy hair would be nice!

:blossom:

hahah, yes, i think that would be acceptable ;)

Health. But really, it those were the only options, I'd just shave my head. :toofers:

oh no, would you really!?

Fractalsofhair
June 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'd choose short, as long as I was allowed to style it into some funky style, and not just have a shoulder length, straightish blunt cut in a normal color. (Though that is my hair before the breakage now! XD)

Kangaroo
June 25th, 2009, 11:49 AM
hell..thats a difficult question. long damaged hair isnt beautiful..so i would say healthy short hair.
i hope i'll have to make a decision like this one!!!!

fishwich
June 25th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Long and damaged, please. I greatly enjoy the option to pull it back and/or put it up, and neither dryness nor damage will prevent that.

inertia
June 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Definitely long and damaged. There's nothing stopping me from putting it in rollers, ironing it, and glossing it up with sprays, right? But there's no fixing how frumpy I look with short hair, besides using a wig.

Tap Dancer
June 25th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Just a random question/survey :)

Say, hypothetically, that your hair was never going to change/grow/etc. for the rest of your life.

And you had to choose between having shoulder-length, incredibly healthy full hair OR super long, but damaged and dry strands. Which would you choose?

You CAN NOT say long and that you would get them back into shape, they would be permanently and forever dry and split.

(Essentially, my question is, what is more important, health or length?)

I don't have to think about questions like these. I'd rather have healthy hair. I'd take the shoulder length hair and I'd be very happy with it. :)

mira-chan
June 25th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Long because I need to wear all of my hair up. It doesn't matter if it's damaged as no one will see it down anyway.

saviniris
June 25th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I would definitely have to go with healthy and short!

bte
June 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
As it happens, I have a;ready made this choice. My hair has not grown for the last ten years, and yesterday was the fifteenth anniversary of my last trim. It's not as long as I would like, but I have chosen to have the maximum length I can achieve, even though the quality and thickness aren't anything special.
http://www.where2c.com/bcw/082316LHC.jpg

Quixii
June 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Eek! I guess I'd do short and healthy, because I could never be happy with unhealthy long hair, even if I tried to convince myself I was.
Plus, the idea of being able to colour it anything without damage is very appealing. =)

handsclean
June 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
hmmm.. healthy, I guess. But if it would be healthy forever, I would straighten it every single day. My thick hair looks like a giant poof at shoulder length.

free_hug
June 25th, 2009, 03:52 PM
one more vote for healthy. umm, very easy decision for someone shorter than shoulder length :D but say, if the question was long and damaged, and a shiny healthy pixie... yes, i'd still go for the healthy one.

WritingPrincess
June 25th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I don't like this question, but I would have to go with healthy hair (could it be BSL?) that I could bleach and dye funky colors without it being worse for the wear. But at the end of the day I want my long, slightly damaged hair back.

nowxisxforever
June 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I don't like this question, but I would have to go with healthy hair (could it be BSL?) that I could bleach and dye funky colors without it being worse for the wear. But at the end of the day I want my long, slightly damaged hair back.

This, precisely.

angelakeats
June 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Healthy.
You can do anything with permanently healthy hair.

Toof
June 25th, 2009, 04:47 PM
oh no, would you really!?
Yes I would! :lol: I wouldn't want long and damaged, and shoulder length isn't that far from shaved (relatively speaking) so if I hated it I could still go to shoulder. I have a strange desire to shave my head anyway, but it's just too long now to do something so drastic.

lyria
June 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Short and healthy! As long as it is long enought to pull back into a ponytail :)

ElenTikvah
June 25th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Healthy, certainly.

MemSahib
June 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Hmmmmm... I don't think I can answer this one.

AnnaMarie
June 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Short and healthy for sure :)

Nyghtingale
June 25th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Healthy for me too.

paper
June 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Short and healthy, I think. I'm struggling with that question now, because I'm growing out ugly dye!

rags
June 25th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Short and healthy definetly!

Tangles
June 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Short and healthy because you CAN put up shoulder length hair. The one caveat, is that I be allowed to put a few layers in it, so it doesn't mushroom.

Deimos
June 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
What a difficult question!
Short and healthy: I would wear it in funky colors and a deathhawk.
Long and damaged: I would wear fancy buns to hide the damage.

I will have to think about it some more :P

Dars
June 26th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Healthy for sure.

magpielaura
June 26th, 2009, 01:38 AM
As I've read through the other replies I keep changing my mind! I could have short hair that changes colour every week and is always shiny but wouldn't be able to do the updos I like.....Hang on - the long hair wouldn't get any more damaged so you could do some really striking things with dye and styling products without it all breaking off! You can hide damage if you don't need to worry about damaging it more. I say knee length and splitty. And rainbow coloured! Think of the braid you could have!

Toadstool
June 26th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Shoulder length and healthy.

zift
June 26th, 2009, 04:13 AM
This question is just not right:rolleyes:
I'm definately fixing it:
Would you like to have a dull, boring, short hairstyle for the rest of your life

or

Would you prefer long locks that dances with the tiniest wind and makes you look attractive and can be styled differently everyday and is extraordinary?

I'd like my long locks please:)

Jezzie
June 26th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Definately Healthy hair. Long damaged hair just isn't nice, this is why I cut my hair the last time!

rach
June 26th, 2009, 04:29 AM
long damaged or short? been both and don't like both equally.

Freija
June 26th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I made this choice last week, to a lesser extent! I had reached APL with my layers, but the main body of hair was still around shoulder-length (and healthy, whereas the ends were looking worn). In the end, I cut it back to shoulder-length, and am happy (but then, of course, I'm still hoping it grows out!).

Copasetic
June 26th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Definitely healthy, shoulder length hair. Long hair is no fun if it is fried.

Freija
June 26th, 2009, 04:49 AM
This question is just not right:rolleyes:
I'm definately fixing it:
Would you like to have a dull, boring, short hairstyle for the rest of your life

or

Would you prefer long locks that dances with the tiniest wind and makes you look attractive and can be styled differently everyday and is extraordinary?

I'd like my long locks please:)

Um... shoulder-length isn't truly short... and I'd argue that, while not your ideal, shoulder-length hair can be far from boring. Case in point: although I am growing my hair out, I rather like the shoulder-length cut I'm sporting at the moment.

Pixna
June 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Wow, that's a toughie. I am at shoulder length now, and my hair is healthy. However, I'm ready to scream until it gets some actual length to it. At SL, I really CAN'T do anything with it -- I can't put it up, it looks silly as a half-up, it won't stay behind my shoulders, and it just flops in my face (and food, etc.). So, at this stage, having lived with healthy SL hair, I think I'd have to opt for the long hair with damaged ends. There's a lot one can do with long hair, and I guess if I simply couldn't stand it after a while, I would always have the option of cutting to healthy and SL, right? ;)

Now if the question were healthy and BSL or damaged and super-long, I'd opt for the former.

janeytilllie
June 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I would choose health over length :)

DiyaC
June 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Short and healthy for sure. Though I would cry if I was told I could never have long healthy hair.

longhairedfairy
June 26th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Unfair lack of choices! *throws tantrum*

redneckprincess
June 26th, 2009, 07:15 AM
healthy for sure

MomoKoNoHanna
June 26th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Long and damaged, im sure I could find something to cover the damage. I've had short hair the last few years and its recovering from damage right now. At least with the length I would be able to do something with it. Short hair does not look good on me now that I am 'older'. At least I would have the length to be proud of :confused: right now I got nothing lol ... :headache:

it will grow it will grow it will grow!!!

blondecat
June 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Quite seriously, I'd buy myself a long hair WIG.

I look terrible with short hair/ I have a goose neck [ahemmm, some people refer to it as a Swan neck]. Terribily longggg Neck.

Very very noticible with short of sholder lenght hair.

Sorry, this probably does not help your survey.

Finoriel
June 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I value quality more than quantity, so healthy hair is what IŽd go for.
But shoulder length is not a very appealing lengh on me. Eternally shoulder length would drive me nuts. IŽd rather have even shorter hair. A pixie cut :wink: had one for years and loved it, until I decided to grow my hair long.

lora410
June 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Long and damaged. In todays society, most people have damaged hair, anyway and people still think it looks good :lol:

Bianca
June 26th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Short and healthy.... No question there :D

Babyfine
June 26th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Well, this may not be exactly what you asked- but If I had to stay at an eternal length-I vote shoulder length or maybe 1" below shoulder length with blunt healthy ends.
My fine hair looks awful damaged- so long would be out(I could never wear it down)
On the other hand I wouldn't want too short, either, where I couldn't do different things to it. And I don't think too-short hair suits me.
SL is the perfect length if It would never grow.- long enough for swing factor,and to put up, (in some do's anyway) and short enough to maintain health.

nowxisxforever
June 26th, 2009, 11:04 AM
The entire time I was growing up and under my mother's control she forced shoulder-length hair on me. It wasn't until I was 13 and living with my dad that I could let my hair grow out, and, yes, it wasn't terribly healthy until I found LHC, and I'm still growing out some of that old damage.

That said-- long & unhealthy all the way. Shoulderlength bothers me and is incredibly unflattering. at least with long hair I can pull it back and otherwise dress it up so no one notices it's unhealthy.

Toadstool
June 26th, 2009, 11:11 AM
There's a lot one can do with long hair, and I guess if I simply couldn't stand it after a while, I would always have the option of cutting to healthy and SL, right? ;)

Actually no! I think the original choice was FOREVER:eek:

zift
June 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Um... shoulder-length isn't truly short... and I'd argue that, while not your ideal, shoulder-length hair can be far from boring. Case in point: although I am growing my hair out, I rather like the shoulder-length cut I'm sporting at the moment.

Ofcourse it's about taste everybody can like whatever style and length they want. It's not argueable wheather something is boring or not because it's personal taste. You cannot argue me that short hair is boring because it can be very interesting for many people, just boring for me.
Sorry about this too but I believe shoulder length must be shorter than average length of people so it can be considered short(on men it is long though). Subjectively speaking I could have said waist length is short too.:lol: Don't mind me grow your hair like you wish.

birdiefu
June 26th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ok, now is this like I get turned into a vampire so have to "live" with this hair for eternity? If so, long and damaged all the way! Shoulder-length was the most unflattering length I ever had, I don't want to be there again. Also, if I have "very long" (how long is this? I will arbitrarily say knees) hair, I can cut back say 6" when I climb out of my coffin every evening and have healthier ends without having much shorter hair. Yeah, it will be back at the same length the next day, but I will just trim back again.

I like my solution. :p

Pixna
June 26th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Actually no! I think the original choice was FOREVER:eek:

Well, dang -- in that case, I might not be willing to play.

.......Pixna takes her ball and goes home. :(

Seriously, I'd have to opt for long and damaged. Living with SL hair right now makes me realize what I'm missing. I'll just have to bun it up for eternity!

KarpatiiSiv
June 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Ok, now is this like I get turned into a vampire so have to "live" with this hair for eternity? If so, long and damaged all the way! Shoulder-length was the most unflattering length I ever had, I don't want to be there again. Also, if I have "very long" (how long is this? I will arbitrarily say knees) hair, I can cut back say 6" when I climb out of my coffin every evening and have healthier ends without having much shorter hair. Yeah, it will be back at the same length the next day, but I will just trim back again.

I like my solution. :p
Love your solution. Definately with you on that! Shoulder length would drive me mad but I could live with it being long and damaged so long as I could cut it back every evening.

Euphony
June 26th, 2009, 03:21 PM
So many people dislike long hair - my theory is because long hair generally equals damage. Long damaged hair gives long hair a bad name. I've seen my fair share of long hair that looks like cotton candy from the shoulders down.

My choice would be shoulder length, healthy hair without a hesitation.

BunnyBee
June 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Healthy and short, no doubt :D
I am never envious of people with loooong but splitty and dry hair, but I've often seen a cute pixie cut that's shiny and healthy and I'd much rather have that :p

MuzicalH3rb
June 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Healthy hair for me too!

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Short.

Short is relative. :P Also, if it's eternally healthy, I'd bleach the crap out of it, straighten, and do whatever the HELL I wanted to it.

Fireweed
June 26th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I would keep it long. I would put some henna in it to make it shine and I would dust the ends and put some oil in it and wear it up every day for a year and in the end after following the TLHC way of taking care of my hair it would look great.

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I would keep it long. I would put some henna in it to make it shine and I would dust the ends and put some oil in it and wear it up every day for a year and in the end after following the TLHC way of taking care of my hair it would look great.

The OP said the damage is permanent, so sorry, no dice. xD;

neon-dream
June 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I'd have the short and healthy, there's no point having long hair if it is damaged in my opinion :]

Fireweed
June 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I think that most hair can be fixed if you start to take care of it again. I think of the way nightshade fixed her hair and she never had to go short or abuse it further.

Butterflylady
June 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Short and healthy definately. Having healthy hair is really important to me. That's why I don't use a hair dryer anymore or bleach it.

JamieLeigh
June 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I would look rather strange with short hair, since I've had long hair all of my life....but I think I'd choose short and healthy. I've loved having it long, but I couldn't bear the thought of having it look unhealthy. I'd seriously miss it, and people wouldn't recognize me, lol.

GlassEyes
June 26th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I think that most hair can be fixed if you start to take care of it again. I think of the way nightshade fixed her hair and she never had to go short or abuse it further.
XD She also had to cut her hair a lot, and her new growth didn't start out damaged as it would as per the first post guidelines.

wintersun99
June 26th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Speckla
June 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I'd pick a nice wig that fell to my hips.

Fireweed
June 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I would go wth the long hair because I don't like short hair.

ericthegreat
June 26th, 2009, 10:49 PM
For me, quality is much more important than quantity. Its healthy short hair for me as well, I'd rather have a healthy gleaming spiky cut than damaged, dry unmanageable knee length hair. Besides, you could always get a healthy looking wig or some healthy extensions.........now smerrie you never mentioned that those two alternatives were not options so I'll take it as they are permissible :D.

Aditi
June 27th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I would go for long hair as i am tired of having short hair throughout my whole college life.

30isthenewblack
June 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM
This is a really interesting thread. I personally value health over length and would opt for the shorter version. I love hair of all lengths though and I'm a huge fan of shorter hair styles. I'm not someone who values long hair simply for the sake of it.

Unnamed
June 27th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Long and damaged. AKA what it is now.

My hair does pretty good with damage, though, so I think it's a bit unfair to say 'long/damaged/dry/splitty'. I don't really think one should have to choose one over the other, ie, why can't one have both? Dry could be a good thing, though, as then I'd be able to put it up more reliably--half the time it's too slick to put up right now. :lol:

Anyway, long trumps short in almost anything simply as didn't much like shoulder length. At all. And my hair is not put-upable at shoulder length. Just perpetually in the way. Worst length I've had. I liked the unflattering pixie better. If I had to have shoulder length hair for some reason, I'd buy a wig.

Nightshade
June 27th, 2009, 08:08 PM

XD She also had to cut her hair a lot, and her new growth didn't start out damaged as it would as per the first post guidelines.

Long and damaged. :) I managed to have pretty hair even when it felt dry and Velcro.

The premise of the survey aside, I do think most hair can be salvaged :)