PDA

View Full Version : Messy Bun Help!!!!!

mugglemomof3
April 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM
The longer my hair gets (it's now just at BSL on me) the less messy my messy buns get.

That makes me sad. I love a pretty messy bun.

Can you guys share your techniques on making a messy bun, and please include your current hair length?

Anyone?

TIA for any help. :smooch:

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Make your regular bun, then grab a crochet hook and start pulling out bits. It sounds silly, but it is the only way I know of :)

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I can't make any other kind.

heidihug
April 10th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry I can't be of help, I have a very "un-messy" bun, also. All of my hair is at least 35" up to 46", so I can't pull anything out except loops!

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM

LOL that's what I was thinking...

Gulbahar
April 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
For a messy bun I use to twist only the upper half of my hair and form a one-coil-bun at the back of my head. Or - as in the picture below - I use some elastic and form sort of a halfup ponytail whose ends are not pulled completly through the elastic. The ends of that section of hair still hang loose afterwards. Then I wrap them and the rest of my hair in sections around that construction. The bun or halfup give a solid base for the updo and the upper layers can look as messy as I want - they still will stay up all day.
This is one example with lots of loose ends:

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/16/414216/1024_3737666563373636.jpg

Tristessa
April 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hi Mugglemomof3, our hair types are pretty similiar, don't know if this will work for you, but here's what I do-I start wrapping a regular bun/cinnabun but then leave some of the ends out on top and then sort of preen them so they fall down over the bun and it looks messy, if that makes any sense. It doesn't work quite as well for me when my hair isn't freshly washed and still wavy/curly, but otherwise it works pretty well. Kind of like doing a peacock twist in a way but with a different end result.

I am totally going through some growing pains with longer hair making my ol' tricks of the trade harder to pull off, so I can relate. Good luck!

ETA: Sorry Mugglemomof3, I forgot to add my length. I am roughly at tailbone, just above after my recent trim.

Tristessa
April 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
For a messy bun I use to twist only the upper half of my hair and form a one-coil-bun at the back of my head. Or - as in the picture below - I use some elastic and form sort of a halfup ponytail whose ends are not pulled completly through the elastic. The ends of that section of hair still hang loose afterwards. Then I wrap them and the rest of my hair in sections around that construction. The bun or halfup give a solid base for the updo and the upper layers can look as messy as I want - they still will stay up all day.
This is one example with lots of loose ends:

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/16/414216/1024_3737666563373636.jpg
Gorgeous! You have such beautiful hair and this looks wonderful. I've got to try this. (Tristessa goes to bookmark thread)

Xandergrammy
April 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM

Neither can I!!!

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
The less twisted, the more messy the end result.

I've got so many hairs of all different lengths that I can start out with something very neat and well contained and by the end of an hour or so, I've got messy bits sticking out and hanging down all over the place. It's kind of frustrating, really.

Gulbahar - that is GORGEOUS! Words fail me.

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, that is gorgeous. It would never ever not even one minute stay up like that with my hair though :lol:

Curlsgirl
April 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Gulbahar, I am in awe also! Do you use anything else to secure it with? That's just gorgeous! :thud:

LifeisAdventure
April 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM

You just made me super-lol! :joy: Thanks!

ajr
April 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hehe I am also messy bun challenged. I have sleek straight hair so even if parts are left untucked they'll just hang straight down I envy people with curly and wavy hair it looks so cute in a messy bun. I guess neat buns work for me though, I like the contrast of a really sleek elegant updo in contrast to the piercings and tattoos =)

Sherri
April 10th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I think the curly girls do better at the messy bun than the straighties do. I have a very hard time making the messy bun.

Gulbahar
April 10th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Gulbahar, I am in awe also! Do you use anything else to secure it with? That's just gorgeous! :thud:
Thank you!
Of course I have to secure everything. Otherwise my super slippery hair would just fall apart the moment I take my hands away. I use metal hairpins very much like those amish pins and also hair scroos.

Carolyn
April 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I try so hard to make messy buns too. I think curly or wavy hair in the mid back range probably works the best. I just can't do one. It's way too nice and neat. I've even bought a little hair piece with curly straggily things so I can do it messier. It still looks too neat.

Shanarana
April 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've tried and tried to do a messy bun, but I just can't seem to do one. Kind of depressing because I think they look great.

Nevermore
April 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM
What are hair scroos? I've noticed them mentioned a few places and I'm too lazy to google haha.

I agree with the people who said that messy buns are easier for curly/wurly haired people. Layers and growing out bangs also ensure messy buns, from experience.

FrannyG
April 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hi Muggles! :waving: As I'm sure you know by now, my buns are usually extremely neat (too neat for my taste), but I think that's all about my hairtype.

I agree with Spidermom though, that the less you twist, the messier it will be. That's the only way I can get anything close to a messy bun. I think with your hair type that shouldn't be a problem.

Here's hoping! :)