PDA

View Full Version : regrowth after huge hair loss

blondecat
June 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM
OK, I had a had handfulls of hair fall out a couple of months ago.

Due to the stress of both parents having major OPerations near the same time [I am their carer]

Now I have [:)] regrowth of about 1 1/2 inches, sticking up from my scalp. It does look a little strange.

And it's curly. And ginger in colour.

I am getting comments now about needing a cut [people think it's damaged]

What can I say ??

The rest of my hair is in good condition. It's just this curly ginger 'Halo', that looks a bit odd LOL

birdiefu
June 24th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm on my third cycle of large-shed regrowth. First two were post-partum, where my hair loss was mostly around the sides and nape. The last of that is *finally* just long enough to stay in my bun, though will shag out just over my shoulders after sleeping in a braid. My large shed last spring-fall, however, must have come from the top of my head as I was covered with "alfalfa sprouts" sticking up and bushing out. :eek: Best thing to tame that was to use some aloe gel or something to smooth them down, and comb the top back for an updo so that the long ones would hold the short ones down (think bald man doing a comb-over! :p).

But nurture those little baby hairs, because one day they will grow up to be long hairs and increase your thickness lower down. Don't cut them off!

Sorry about the stress, I hope your parents are doing well.

Kimberly
June 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a similar issue and we've been discussing it in the Hair Loss Support Thread. There were some good suggestions that you might find useful!

Congrats on your regrowth. :)

Edit: Here's a link http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1124

maunaloa
June 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I sympathize with your plight. I lost quite a bit of hair a few years ago and got layers(!) around the same time. It is finally catching up to the length of my hair.:):):)

Natalia
June 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I will be so excited when my hair starts growing back after this awefullness but i am not lookng forward to the "halo" phase. The hairs on my temples have always been short and horn like no mater how careful i am to grow them so having a whole head full of that (albeit it new happy growth) is not to contemplate. Wish i had advice for you but seems like you have what you need anyway. Good luck :)

SpecialKitty
June 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have a perpetual halo - I think it is due to my shorter terminal length and more pronounced because I have wavy hair. I have always had a halo, and probably always will. I've come to love it actually - it is wispy and delicate, and makes updos look slightly messy which I like. My latest halo is very thick - it is from my large hair loss due to anemia and hypothyroidism. I'll be glad when that hair grows out. It makes me look a bit like a mad scientist!

Best wishes for the recovery of your parents and some rest for you as well :grouphug:

blondecat
June 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thank You All. Yah, my parents are doing quite well, Now :) :) :) . Old age catches up with them tho.

1. op was a re-do of a botched hip replacement, new hip is working *fantasticly* beautifully, well worth the effort/pain/exspence, and now not even needing pain relief, which is faboulous :)

the other op was Eye surgury, Also a complete success Yahhhh :) :) :)

I know I lost a heap of hair, but, it was worth the stress at the time.

OK, I'll baby my 'ginger fluff' [interesting colour, given Im blond]

Thank You for the link to the hair loss thread.
I thought it was a diffenret thread, this one I haven't read before

hennaphile
June 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I'd try and ignore people's silly comments-- your hair is growing back, if they can't celebrate with you, forget em ;)

I don't have a halo, but I have pieces of hair that stick five inches in the air, so maybe I'm more of a spikey head than halo-head?

Gothic Lolita
June 25th, 2009, 02:09 AM
My BF lost about half his hair about 1 year ago and we don't know why, even the doctor doesn't know. Now it's all growing back (YAY!) and his head looks like a church painting with a super-halo. He wouldn't use something like Aloe gel or oil to smooth it, but a boar bristle brush also helps. But I'd only use one if you know that you hair doesn't break from BBBs.

MsBubbles
June 25th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I'm glad your shedding is over with and you have new growth. I must say I'm a tad jealous of your new color. I bet it's going to look gorgeous once they grow a bit more and blend with the rest of your hair.

Unnamed
June 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
The only ideas I have for getting them to behave are aloe and oil, and perhaps a finer tooth comb (or like someone else said a BBB--my hair doesn't like those, though...but for some reason it seems like a finer comb is better at getting my wispies to blend in with the rest, and they don't fall out as quickly, and so I'd think it'd work with regrowth, too). Maybe even some little barrettes of some sort for the front part if you have a lot of regrowth there; or somehow twisting/braiding the front sections back for a bit.

And none have really been tested tested, as I don't get a proper halo with shed regrowth, and I've never that I'm aware had one that's a different colour, and certainly not a different texture.

And, kinda strange, but I'd actually like to get a halo from regrowth! When it's noticeable I'd think it'd be a good way of seeing progress and knowing things like when the new growth will start (and stop) impacting thickness, and just plain a way to 'watch' hair grow over a long span. Right now I've regained about 85-90% of the hair back (via nape measure) from losing half my hair last July-Dec. But no clue how long the regrowth is, or if it's done growing back, or if it's still got a lot to go, etc. None. Actually, now I'm tempted to go off and see if I can find it. :lol:

As for what to say....either tell the truth (that you lost a lot of hair and it's growing back in a bit different), or ignore it. Once it gets a bit longer and blends better I think it'll look fine with your colour, though! And glad to hear everything went well with your parents, too; as well as great to be getting the regrowth from any shed.

blondecat
June 26th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Thank You MsBubbles.

I showed my hubby tonight, and he keeled over laughing. He thinks it is hillarious.

But, he made up for it with a kiss :)

blondecat
June 26th, 2009, 07:31 AM
The only ideas I have for getting them to behave are aloe and oil, and perhaps a finer tooth comb (or like someone else said a BBB--my hair doesn't like those, though...but for some reason it seems like a finer comb is better at getting my wispies to blend in with the rest, and they don't fall out as quickly, and so I'd think it'd work with regrowth, too). Maybe even some little barrettes of some sort for the front part if you have a lot of regrowth there; or somehow twisting/braiding the front sections back for a bit.

And none have really been tested tested, as I don't get a proper halo with shed regrowth, and I've never that I'm aware had one that's a different colour, and certainly not a different texture.

And, kinda strange, but I'd actually like to get a halo from regrowth! When it's noticeable I'd think it'd be a good way of seeing progress and knowing things like when the new growth will start (and stop) impacting thickness, and just plain a way to 'watch' hair grow over a long span. Right now I've regained about 85-90% of the hair back (via nape measure) from losing half my hair last July-Dec. But no clue how long the regrowth is, or if it's done growing back, or if it's still got a lot to go, etc. None. Actually, now I'm tempted to go off and see if I can find it. :lol:

As for what to say....either tell the truth (that you lost a lot of hair and it's growing back in a bit different), or ignore it. Once it gets a bit longer and blends better I think it'll look fine with your colour, though! And glad to hear everything went well with your parents, too; as well as great to be getting the regrowth from any shed.

Hey, thank you, Iv'e got some small barrretts here already and I didn't even think of them.

A good tip about the fine toothed comb I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Who knows, perhaps next summer [it is winter here in OZ] my hair may lighten up again, like it ususally does.

Aunteater
June 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I'm glad it's growing back! I've had a couple of stress-related episodes of massive hair loss and re-growth. Not fun. The first time, I shaved my head. Whatever you do, don't do that! For days when it really annoyed me: bandannas and kerchiefs are cute, and they will hide your halo.

blondecat
June 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'm glad it's growing back! I've had a couple of stress-related episodes of massive hair loss and re-growth. Not fun. The first time, I shaved my head. Whatever you do, don't do that! For days when it really annoyed me: bandannas and kerchiefs are cute, and they will hide your halo.

Thanks, No Im not shaving lol.

My hair short is the most uncontrolable mess one has ever seen.

justme
June 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I had a similar experience (of hairloss due to stress) and now my regrowth is somewhere between armpit and brastrap. Like a poster above said, it stays in most buns, but will come out and lay about my shoulders after sleeping in a braid. The new hairs are not a different color like yours, but there are very wavy and sometimes curly. I don't know whether that's because they are shorter hairs or because the new stuff is actually wavier.

I agree with the ideas above, too. Aloe and oils help smooth it down.

hennared
June 28th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Please excuse a hair loss & regrowth highjack of this thread, but I would like to ask - for those of you who have lost a lot of hair and regained it, how long did it take before you saw noticeable regrowth? I'm trying to assess if mine might regrow, since it's been over a year now of steady overshedding and thinning with no obvious medical cause...

blondecat
June 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Please excuse a hair loss & regrowth highjack of this thread, but I would like to ask - for those of you who have lost a lot of hair and regained it, how long did it take before you saw noticeable regrowth? I'm trying to assess if mine might regrow, since it's been over a year now of steady overshedding and thinning with no obvious medical cause...

Hijack away, any info is good info.

I am just seeing regrowth now, after 4 months.

I have been on a high protein diet for yrs now, and I feel that has an impact.