PDA

View Full Version : CO washing and my hair is greasy.

mtstorm
June 24th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Okay, so I have been CO washing for 2 1/2 weeks now. The first 2 weeks I was using Tresemme conditioner and it worked great! When I ran out of Tresemme I picked up VO5 to try going cone free. However, ever since I started using the VO5 my hair has been greasy, heavy and has the texture of straw. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I make sure the conditioner is rinsed complelty out of my hair. Is this the adjustment period that I was reading about? Or am I doing something wrong? My hair seemed to really like the CO before. :confused:

teela1978
June 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I would guess that your hair doesn't like the vo5 very much. Perhaps suave? White rain (can you still get that stuff? I haven't seen it around lately)? Or go back to tresemme?

Sjirsten
June 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Maybe you should try to clarify. It is possible that you have -cone buildup in your hair.
Good luck!

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM
did you clarify before going cone free? do you have any build up? it could be that there are still cones on some of the hair and its not really cleaning the hair shaft well.. how often are you CO'ing? Sometimes you have to do it every day, my hair can handle every 2-3 days but on the 3rd I HAVE to wash.. or it could be that your hair just doesn't like that conditioner, you could try Suave next time :) HTH

Presto
June 24th, 2009, 11:32 AM
How long do you let it sit on your head? I don't mean to ask all the obvious things, but there's not a huge amount to go on in your post.

Maybe the other conditioner just works better with your hair?

I let the CO sit for a little while and then add water and scrub with fingertips like it was shampoo.

And when I was "CO only" I was actually using a shampoo once a month or three weeks. I alternated conditioners between V05, Suave, and a Costco brand. The Costco Kirkland brand would leave my hair sticky and I could NOT use it every day. That's where the shampoo came in.

Then too, after a few weeks you are in a different part of your cycle, so your oil production may be different. I am noticeably oilier at a couple different points in my cycle.
(Eep! Are you female?)

LisaJaney
June 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Some conditioners don't work worth crap in my hair, regardless if they work great for others, they don't work for me. Likewise, my White Rain Extra Body doesn't work very well for some people even though it works for me and a lot of others. You could have just gotten a "bad for MY hair" conditioner. Try another. The good news is that you use the cheap conditioners, so it's not like you're trying an $8 bottle of stuff only to find out it's not gonna work. And cheap conditioners are really good for shaving legs, if you want to try that...

I only end up greasy after a CO if I don't use ENOUGH condish, don't rinse it out well enough, or if I use the WRONG condish. The condishes that don't work for me don't LEAVE me greasy, but my hair is limper, or it gets greasy faster (usually day three is getting a littlegreasy, and day four is a greaseball.)

mtstorm
June 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I'll try clarifying. I CO every other day if I let it go more than that my hair gets greasy.

MandaMom2Three
June 24th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I would guess as well that it could be from going from a cony conditioner to a coneless without clarifying. There still could very well be an adjustment period for you going from cones to not, but old build up certainly would not be a beneficial thing.

ETA- oops, beat me to it LOL

mtstorm
June 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Presto: Sorry! I wasn't sure what to inculde in the OP. I leave the conditioner in for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it out. First thing I do is get my hair wet and work in the conditioner; usually starting at the ends and working my way up to the top of my neck I don't put any conditioner at the roots.

LisaJaney
June 24th, 2009, 11:40 AM
No conditioner at the roots? How do you clean your scalp (where it tends to get greasy?) Wonder if that'd help, to put the condish on the roots? I always do the conditioner on my head EXCEPT when I S/C. For some reason, COing on my head works great, but if I do condish on my head after shampooing, THAT will make my hair get greasy faster.

mtstorm
June 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Lisa: Hmmm, I will try that. I never used shampoo at my roots otherwise I had to wash my hair daily, my hair would be greasy within hours, so I never tried it when switching over to CO.

LisaJaney
June 24th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Oh my land! I know shampooing every day can make your head make MORE grease, I never thought about NOT washing the scalp!

Thing about COing is that it'll loosen and lift excess dirt and oils but without stripping every vestige of moisture away from the hairshaft. Wonder if it does the same on the scalp? In that way, it'd be different than shampoo, at least. I just know that I HAVE to work the condish into my scalp to end up clean-feeling. Hmmm, you've given me something to ponder...

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 24th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I actually tried CO'ing on my scalp and I found that I'll get a lot of build up quickly but if I 'poo every once in a while just at the roots it helps avoid that :)

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 01:03 PM
No conditioner at the roots? How do you clean your scalp (where it tends to get greasy?) Wonder if that'd help, to put the condish on the roots? I always do the conditioner on my head EXCEPT when I S/C. For some reason, COing on my head works great, but if I do condish on my head after shampooing, THAT will make my hair get greasy faster.

This. CO-washing is STILL washing; thus you need to condition the scalp like you'd shampoo.

As per the dryness, it might be the protein in the V05. Which one are you using?

Tap Dancer
June 24th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Which VO5 did you try? They don't all give the same results. Same with White Rain and Suave. Keep trying some different kinds.

mtstorm
June 24th, 2009, 01:07 PM
VO5 passion fruit smoothie. It was the only VO5 at the store, which surprised me since I remeber there being many many different VO5s.

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM
if after you clarify it still feels that way, I would try switching to suave or another brand and see if that helps. :)

Presto
June 24th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Presto: Sorry! I wasn't sure what to inculde in the OP. I leave the conditioner in for 15 to 20 minutes before washing it out. First thing I do is get my hair wet and work in the conditioner; usually starting at the ends and working my way up to the top of my neck I don't put any conditioner at the roots.

Fascinating!

I glop it right onto my head, making sure to work it to all of my scalp. I don't particularly put much at all on the ends, counting on rinsing to carry it down the length.
I also probably only let mine sit for 5 minutes or so.

Interesting to learn what others do.

Shampoos with sulfates seem to irritate my scalp. CO cleared up my flakes and itch.
I have recently switched to using Shikai, which doesn't have sulfates. It was advertised as a soap-like shampoo, looks like honey but sudses nicely. Then I condition all over, not quite as heavily as CO, but I know it's still getting my scalp.
I haven't decided if I will make this a permanent change, but we're doing house construction at the moment and there is real dirt and sawdust stuck to my scalp that CO wasn't getting.
I was very happy with CO for a long time, with only a very occasional shampoo to take care of build up.

You might also investigate CWC, leaving the first condish on my scalp protected me from the sulfates and that was how I clarified while CO.

teela1978
June 24th, 2009, 02:51 PM

So you've never washed your scalp before? Are you just having oily length? I'm confused :confused:

Tap Dancer
June 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
VO5 passion fruit smoothie. It was the only VO5 at the store, which surprised me since I remeber there being many many different VO5s.

Passion Fruit Smoothie has protein in it, I believe. I'd recommend Sun Kissed Raspberry, Kiwi & Lime Squeeze, or one of the Tea Therapy conditioners.

You can usually find VO5 at Kmart, Dollar Tree, CVS, and in grocery stores.

LisaJaney
June 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
TapDancer, I was just going to suggest that if the OP needed any Vo5 Raspberry, they should contact someone (who shall remain nameless) who had a FULL DRAWER of the stuff. I think they said they had well over two dozen bottles :whistle:

And I'd have never thought of the protein element, but that makes sense.

AND, I also love hearing about how other CO wash. The ones that mystify me the most :bowtome: are the ones who apply it dry the night before, SLEEP with that on their heads, and wash the next day. How DO they keep it from getting all over their pillow, and HOW can they sleep with something different on their head? I can't sleep if something's amiss with my head.

I COwash all in one 10minute shower: head wet, great bunches of condish worked in well (scalp down to ends), let it set while I wash the other important parts, then rinse like a fiend. The condish sits there for maybe 5 minutes, IF I have to shave my legs (which, admittedly, doesn't happen as often as it ought to) ;)

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Passion Fruit Smoothie has protein in it, I believe. I'd recommend Sun Kissed Raspberry, Kiwi & Lime Squeeze, or one of the Tea Therapy conditioners.

You can usually find VO5 at Kmart, Dollar Tree, CVS, and in grocery stores.
She's right.

It's such a shame too; the smoothies all have protein...yet smell the best. T_T

Moonstruck
June 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I'll have to second Lisa Janey and some others - how do you normally wash your hair, with shampoo and conditioner? I've never heard of someone using shampoo anywhere else than the scalp, for the most part. Not to say that your method is faulty, I'm just really curious.
COing is supposed to be like how you shampoo, just that you use the conditioner as a milder cleanser (and therefore leave it on longer) and such. However, it doesn't sound like you're cleansing your scalp period? I'd love to know more too! =)

Roseate
June 25th, 2009, 12:26 AM
AND, I also love hearing about how other CO wash. The ones that mystify me the most :bowtome: are the ones who apply it dry the night before, SLEEP with that on their heads, and wash the next day. How DO they keep it from getting all over their pillow, and HOW can they sleep with something different on their head? I can't sleep if something's amiss with my head.

Wow, never heard of that method. But I must say I'm always impressed by what people can keep on their head overnight- HENNA?!??? Talk about getting it all over the pillow!

I CO in the shower: wet head, lots of CO on length&scalp, showercap on that, wash rest of self, then scrub scalp with fingers while rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. The scalp massage/scrub is a key part for me.

Works great, but my hair does get greasy faster than with CWC. If I CO, I have to do it at least twice a week, but with CWC once a week is my standard, even with very diluted nonsulfate poo.

Tap Dancer
June 25th, 2009, 05:42 AM
TapDancer, I was just going to suggest that if the OP needed any Vo5 Raspberry, they should contact someone (who shall remain nameless) who had a FULL DRAWER of the stuff. I think they said they had well over two dozen bottles :whistle:

You haven't seen my brand new White Rain drawer yet, have you? I have 12½ bottles and counting! (I'm going shopping again tomorrow!) :lol:

jeno
June 25th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I think it's a protein thing. My hair hates protein, it feels like straw and greasy at the same time.

And I also think you have to put the conditioner on your scalp...
For me, CO works best if I leave it on for at least 45 minutes. I bend over the tub, wet my hair, put the conditioner on and then I wrap it in a towel. If I leave it on just for a few minutes it's harder to rinse and the hair feels greasy. I only do CO once a week, in between (after exercise for example) I just rinse with water. It works for me, but I have dry hair and skin.

mtstorm
June 25th, 2009, 10:12 AM
So you've never washed your scalp before? Are you just having oily length? I'm confused
Yes, I have washed my scalp before but for some reason my scalp reacts by getting really greasy really quick, like within hours. I did clarify last night and then used conditioner on my scalp as well as the rest of my hair, sure enough I woke up this morning with a greasy scalp but my length looks better. I WO washed this morning focusing on my scalp and my hair looks much better. I am going to stop by Dollar Tree today and see if they have a different VO5 or Sauve.
I guess the best way to describe what I do is WO washing on my scalp and CO washing the rest of my hair. I haven't had a problem in a long time with not being able to get my scalp clean enough, not even when loading/unloading hay, just means there is more finger scrubbing under the water. ;)

teela1978
June 25th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Wow. Does your length really need CO? I'd think just doing an occasional light oiling would do the trick.

mtstorm
June 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I have always had problems with an oily scalp but dry hair that ends up breaking. :( That is why I have taken to conditioning my length. Although, I have never tried just oiling. I could certainly give that a shot. :)

LisaJaney
June 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you're doing WO on your scalp (did you know there's a humongous thread about people who clean their hair with water-only???) so if it works, then go for it! (if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;) )

TapDancer, I am going to have to do an intervention for you, Honey. I'm starting to worry :ponder: Put your wallet down and step slowly away from the conditioner! Easy now...not to fast...

Moonstruck
June 25th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Ohhh, I see. I agree, it sounds like WO on scalp.
If you are using CO as like... you're massaging it in to clean your length, that may be exactly why you are having dry hair. The idea of using CO as a cleanser for the scalp is basically based on the fact that conditioner can remove some dirt and grime if it sits for a little while. I actually find that letting my length sit in CO for TOO long makes it dryish and frizzy. It's stripping oils, not as many as shampoo, but still some.

I'd ditto trying to oil the ends/length a little bit. You might also be interested in a SMT (snowymountain moisture treatment) which is detailed more in a thread on the Recipes subforum. You might also want to try leaving the conditioner on for shorter, or changing conditioners. Just my two cents.

teela1978
June 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I've always wanted to be able to go WO. My head is too greasy though. Good luck figuring things out!