PDA

View Full Version : Another new face

Rivanariko
June 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Hi! I'm Corey from the USA. I grew up in Oregon, but have led a somewhat nomadic lifestyle since I graduated high school, but I'm hoping to settle down in South Carolina for about a year soon.

I've had long hair most of my life. When I was really young I cut it short a few times, but never really liked it. The last time I had it short I was 8 years old, so I've gotten pretty used to having it long! Unfortunately, I haven't taken very good care of it over the years and usually have to cut off several inches every year because it gets raggedy and damaged. I'm hoping to learn a lot here about keeping it healthier longer and see if I can get it to grow a little more. I've never been able to get it past my natural waist, which is where it's at right now, but I'm hoping!

I also train horses both as a career and a passion. I'm an avid crocheter and I'm working on getting myself back into running after a bad sprain.

renarok
June 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Welcome to the boards. We are always happy to meet new people here. There are lots of horse people here, I'm sure you will find some kindred souls.

cowgirltresses
June 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hello Corey! I'm Laura from Indiana and we do share more than a love of long hair...I have ridden and trained horses for my entire life! I'm so happy to see someone with similar interests so soon, as I've only just joined. If I may ask...What style of riding do you ride? I participated in the Extreme Cowboy Race in Columbus Ohio in April this year for the first time. It was a blast! I'd love to learn more about your adventures in horse back riding!
Cowgirl

misstwist
June 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Welcome!

Shouldn't this thread title be "another new back of head"?

Armelle
July 1st, 2009, 06:36 AM
Goodness knows you'll find more crocheters here. :D You will certainly learn ways to care for your hair to prevent raggedy-ness. It just takes patience, I've discovered.

Queenie
July 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Shouldn't this thread title be "another new back of head"?That's what I was going to say! :lol:

Welcome, Rivanariko! :flower:

Rivanariko
July 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Haha! I suppose "another new back of head" would make more sense!

@Laura - Hi! I ride english, mostly dressage anymore, though I evented quite a bit in high school. However, thanks to multiple sprains destroying the tendons and ligaments in my ankles, jumping has become excruciatingly painful for me. I've done a little bit of western as well, but dressage was my first love and I always come back to it. :) I think I've heard of the Extreme Cowboy Race before... sounds exciting!

cowgirltresses
July 3rd, 2009, 12:30 PM
Cool! I've done pretty much a mix of everything; english, western, jumping, gymkana, reining...I did all around shows with my POAs. If you'd like to check out my run on youtube here's the link! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG_iDsNrjRQ It's pretty funny that the only part that's kind of rough is the jumping - I promise I do know how to jump:). I'd never done it in a western saddle, though! It was great fun and I just realized you can actually see my hair in this too! It's gotten longer since then, though! Sorry to hear that it's painful to do the things you love. I sprained my ankle right before going to a jumping/eventing camp in NY a few years ago. I remember how horrible it was to hit the correct position!

Elenna
July 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM
You'll be "knitting up the raveled sleeve of (hair)care." :-D

Rivanariko
July 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM
wow, that looks like a LOT of fun! I haven't ridden western in years...
Here's a video of my musical freestyle on Corky, my project horse when I was at school. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9bzaLT0ys I tried several ideas of ways to steal him and take him home with me... but for some reason they wouldn't give him up, lol. We were aiming for a first level freestyle, but it just wasn't quite our day that day I guess. It was just for a fun in-house show that my school did a couple times a year. The video quality isn't great, and it's not the best example of my riding... I swear my leg is normally steadier than that! And I could usually keep him steadier in the bridle than I had him in this video... but it's still fun. And you can kind of see my hair in it...
Jumping in a western saddle is... exciting. I never got very good at it, lol.

melrose1985
July 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Rivanariko
July 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thank you all for the welcomes!

cowgirltresses
July 11th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Fabulous video! Isn't it fun just to goof off on a horse?? My family is quite large and when I was very young and we all lived together, we would play cops and robbers or cowboys and indians on horseback. Ah those were the days! Your school horse looks amazing, I totally understand why you would want to steal him! Your leads and circles are absolutely beautiful! I have tried my hand at dressage and eventing in New York (having POAs is not really the ideal breed for that..) at an eventing camp and loved the big, powerful horses, but I could never give up my ponies! I'm only 4'11'' so I sort of look like an ant on anything larger than a Quarter Horse haha. Reining and speed events are my favorites, but I have dabbled in everything under the sun. I freaking love horses! :)

Rivanariko
July 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Oh man, I wish I had grown up in a horsey family like that! I'm the only one in my family who has the slightest interest in horses. It was annoying, but I learned to really appreciate what I had because I really worked for it. Not that other people haven't, of course :-P
Ponies can TOTALLY do dressage! Lendon Gray is famous for her dressage ponies. They have trouble competing against the warmbloods in the ring, yes, but they can totally do it. I've done dressage on halflingers, fjords, quarter horses, thoroughbreds, welsh ponies, draft horses, morgans, arabians, you name it! I'm only 5'1 myself, so I do love the ponies, but there's something thrilling about being on the giants as well. I think I just had a few too many people tell me that I couldn't do something either because I'm small or because I'm a girl when I was little, so now I refuse to admit that there is anything that I can't do because of my size, lol. I've gotten pretty good at riding the giants, although I still look kind of ridiculous.
I have ALWAYS wanted to learn to rein! It looks like SO much fun! I took a few reining lessons while I was at school, since the upper level dressage instructor was also the western coach, so she let me play with one of the reining horses a few times. It was SO much fun! If I were going to ride western, it would be reining.

Amara
July 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Welcome to the boards!

If you've gotten to waist without paying too much attention to it, I bet with a little tender loving care your hair will get longer in no time! :)