PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner on dry hair: pre-wash treatment?

amaiaisabella
June 24th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I've got a few conditioners that I'm not really all that fond of- not moisturizing enough, too moisturizing (leaving the hair limp), and oddly scented. Now, I could use these to shave and the like, but that wouldn't get rid of them all that quickly, and quite frankly, I can't stand to have excess bottles under the sink. I was thinking of using these as pre-wash deep treatments.

I've used LUSH's Hswan Wen Hua, and liked it. I was thinking of letting the same principles apply and using these conditioners on dry hair before a wash. I've read some members find they absorb better on dry hair, and I certainly found that to be true for the LUSH. Has anyone tried using conditioners specifically as a pre-wash treatment, sort of a conditioner-version of deep oiling?

Xandergrammy
June 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I haven't tried it, but have always wanted to. I think it would work great. I'll be reading this thread with interest.

getoffmyskittle
June 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've tried it. I don't think it did anything. :shrug:

DotDotDot
June 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I do this every week with Suave Naturals coconut conditioner, usually over light coconut oil. I love it. I notice a drastic difference in the softness of my hair, particularly my ends, between when I do and don't.

nowxisxforever
June 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM
That treatment from Lush didn't do anything for my hair... I generally put oils on my dry hair for a pre-wash treatment, I think the couple times I did conditioner it didn't really do anything ;(

swirlytresses
June 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I've thought about it, but haven't tried it yet. I might try this soon and maybe add some oil too. We'll see how it works out. :)

Honey39
June 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Kind of - well, I put conditioner and honey (and now treacle!) on to dry hair, leave it for an hour and then lather it up with hot water and rinse out. It works well for me, but I always thought it was the honey/treacle that did it, but I guess conditioner on its own seems like a good shot as well!

amaiaisabella
June 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I thought of adding something to it, but my hair has never responded well to SMTs. Oils make me shed so much I resemble a feline, but it's been a while since I've tried honey. Another mad experiment for me! :)

Heidi_234
June 24th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Well, that's what I did (although I made my hair damp before application, my hair dislikes conditioner when it's dry for some reason). Then it evolved to include honey, then EVOO. It turned out to be semi-SMT sort of thing, and I used to do it before each wash, with great results.

Gothic Lolita
June 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I know that some COer generally put the conditioner on dry hair because they find that it cleanses better this way. Maybe you wouldn't even need to wash or just with some really diluted shampoo to get rid of excess oils from the treatment.

amaiaisabella
June 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM
The only issue with that is while some of the conditioners are generally moisturizing enough, they leave my hair too slippery for any updos or general upkeep. So, I want to keep the moisturizing but lose the slip- not quite sure if that's possible, though.

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I think it's the same principle behind Dianyla's coconut milk washes. You put conditioner on dry hair so you can be sure where it's saturated and where it's not, thus telling you WHERE you've missed and where you have to cover more, and it becomes an all-encompassing treatment. With wet hair, you can't always be sure you've put enough.

amaiaisabella
June 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I think it's the same principle behind Dianyla's coconut milk washes. You put conditioner on dry hair so you can be sure where it's saturated and where it's not, thus telling you WHERE you've missed and where you have to cover more, and it becomes an all-encompassing treatment. With wet hair, you can't always be sure you've put enough.

In this case, the more I use, the better :D Guess it's dry hair for me!

ademtce
June 24th, 2009, 03:29 PM
i tried this today - used Vo5 moisture milks, left it in for about 10-15mins.
made my hair feel great (I did use some shampoo after i rinsed the conditioner out from applying it dry)

Toadstool
June 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It's an interesting idea - I might try it!

hellkitty
June 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Doesn't SMT work on the principle of putting conditioner in dry hair?

I am still working out the kinks in my CO washing technique, and so I put conditioner in my hair while still dry, about 10 minutes before I got in the shower. (It was VO5, the tea therapy one). Mind you, I really grease up my hair and roots the night before a wash. Putting the conditioner on my hair dry actually helped lift the rosemary and castor oil treatment from my scalp but didn't dry out my hair. I then just wet it down, did a little scrub/scalp massage, and rinsed like a regular CO wash. Bingo! My best CO wash to date!

HK

rogue_psyche
June 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I do this for my CWCs but for some reason it didn't occur to do it with my COs. But yes, conditioner on dry hair results in better absorption, that I can vouch for.

As far as LUSH goes, I've yet to try one of their products and have it satisfy me, especially in terms of price versus quality. But of course if you like it then don't let my opinion change yours.

Nyghtingale
June 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I am willing to try anything at least once.

amaiaisabella
June 24th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I tried it today, and then just lightly shampooed my roots. Hair felt very clean (but not stripped!) and not overly moisturized, so I guess it's a winner :)

Jenny.Wren
June 25th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I haven’t used this one but have used Hair Doctor from Lush - it really is lovely and conditioning and a treat for the scalp and hair. I wasn’t too sure at first as I’ve never used pre-wash conditioners and was a bit sceptical but my hair really felt lovely afterwards.