PDA

View Full Version : You guys saved my hair!

Kunzang
April 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I am soooo glad I found this site. As you can see from the photo, my hair is already long - past classic. I've had long hair most of my life. But I've mostly felt like the lone ranger -not many others to commune with. I'm from the US, but spent the last 6 years living in Nepal - a great place for long hair! I learned a thing or two about Ayurvedic hair oils and hair care. After returning to the US, I seriously contemplated cutting my hair. It just didn't seem to fit in and there seemed to be little support. But then I went on-line to see if I could find different hair styling techniques for long hair (in Nepal its mostly the 4-B's - braiding, buns, barrettes, and bobby-pins), then voila! I found you guys! Wow! I've been saved! My love of long hair has rekindled and I've found new inspiration and great advice! I really look forward to learning from you all and also sharing a thing or two.

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Wow .. just looked at your profile. Impressive hair - thick, long, shiny. I'm glad you've decided to keep it.

I know what you mean about feeling kind of "out of it" by having long hair. We met some friends at a bar last night, and every other woman had hair no longer than about shoulder length, and most of it was dyed/highlighted/curled/straightened/sprayed. It was like every other woman had a personal sculpture on her head. I went into the restroom, and my hair looked wild - all over the place. I braided it back, which was better but felt kind of frumpy and plain. Sigh........ Some days I'm not sure why I want it even longer than it is.

angelthadiva
April 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I'm glad you found us! :) Welcome! Many happy hair day wishes from me to you!

KellieKay
April 10th, 2008, 08:52 AM
That is great. Welcome to LHC.

wolf girl
April 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I braided it back, which was better but felt kind of frumpy and plain. Sigh........ Some days I'm not sure why I want it even longer than it is.

I feel this way too somethimes. I just have to remind myself that those women are probably envying my hair too. Long hair is definately not plain. It gets more attention than those short/bleached/sprayed dos. :)

Oh, BTW, welcome kunzang!

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I wish I had foung this site yrs ago. I had waist hair and chopped it to shoulder and beyond. You hair is stunning btw!!!!

Kunzang
April 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been browsing the site and I'm so impressed with the wealth of information - this site could very well be called 'The Art of Long Hair' for you guys have really elevated hair care to an art. I'm excited to try some of the styles and hair care techniques I'm finding here.

While in Nepal, I introduced a number of friends to hair sticks and the french braid. Mostly they just wear a long braid down their back, or the older women put their hair up in a bun. I saw some cheap plastic hair sticks from China available there, but they didn't really know how to appreciate them. I used to bring some of the beautiful hair sticks I found on sites in the US to them as gifts - they quickly became a favorite gift. I inspired a few young women to start making hair sticks to sell to tourists, and its now become a small cottage industry in Kathmandu. I also tough them the French braid, but they prefer to have their hair oiled flat to their scalps and not fluffed up. It's so humid there in the summer that you need lots of oil to keep the hair somewhat tamed.

Anyway - lots to share and will contribute my 2c in different threads.

heidihug
April 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Lovely hair, Kunzang! So glad you did not end up cutting it when you came back stateside. I think it is absolutely wonderful that you gave some people the inspiration to start their own businesses in Nepal - the butterfly effect at its finest.

Anyway, just wanted to give you a welcome from your neighbor to the northeast.

Silver & Gold
April 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Lovely hair, wow. I read your interests and it seems we share some interests. I enjoy yoga and have been reading about ayerveda, something I found after developing an interest in Indian dishes and cooking.

Anyway, welcome!

Crysania
April 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
your hair looks amazing !! welcome to you ;)

ljc
April 17th, 2008, 09:13 AM
ditto on the great hair comments. welcome.

ljc

martagill
April 26th, 2019, 08:40 AM
New to the site. So excited to read everybody's entries. I've been growing my hair for 4 years now, and it's finally just above my waist (just got a trim)... I use ayurvedic oils once a week before washing it. Wish I could see a pic of your hair. Don't have privileges yet.

lapushka
April 26th, 2019, 09:11 AM
New to the site. So excited to read everybody's entries. I've been growing my hair for 4 years now, and it's finally just above my waist (just got a trim)... I use ayurvedic oils once a week before washing it. Wish I could see a pic of your hair. Don't have privileges yet.

Welcome! :)

milosmomma
April 27th, 2019, 02:19 AM
I am soooo glad I found this site. As you can see from the photo, my hair is already long - past classic. I've had long hair most of my life. But I've mostly felt like the lone ranger -not many others to commune with. I'm from the US, but spent the last 6 years living in Nepal - a great place for long hair! I learned a thing or two about Ayurvedic hair oils and hair care. After returning to the US, I seriously contemplated cutting my hair. It just didn't seem to fit in and there seemed to be little support. But then I went on-line to see if I could find different hair styling techniques for long hair (in Nepal its mostly the 4-B's - braiding, buns, barrettes, and bobby-pins), then voila! I found you guys! Wow! I've been saved! My love of long hair has rekindled and I've found new inspiration and great advice! I really look forward to learning from you all and also sharing a thing or two.

Welcome! I am glad your love for you hair was rekindled, it really is an amazing mane. I love that your inspired the girls to make hairsticks, do you make them yourself too? We have a "self-made hair toys" thread that I think you may like :)

Welcome as well martagill :)