PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts Training Style!

NightDaemon
June 24th, 2009, 05:35 AM
So, I'm hopefully going to be going for my black belt grading in August. <dramatic music>. Now, normally for training I wear my hair (currently just past my ribs if I wear it down, which I never do) in a banded tail, but this has some problems (I've whipped a few people in the face, for example).

Now, the reason I mention the grading is that the head of the school is 70 years old, Korean, ex-Marine, and *very* set in his ways. I want as few things to annoy him as possible, since it'll be all eyes on me.

So, I need to work out a style to wear. The requirements are:

Must look as manly as possible. That's what I'm going for. He doesn't like guys with long hair as it is.
No cutting!
No toys, both for safety reasons (in case I fall on them) and because they're more a girl's thing in most people's eyes (not that stops me outside of training). Hair ties and bobby pins are fine, though.
Preferably *doesn't* show off my length.
Should be safe in case I fall on it.Does anyone have any ideas that could work?

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 05:48 AM
I vote for sock bun...that doesn't have anything in it that can fall out and is an old standard for a military long hair style :) The length is hidden and I think it would be pretty safe!

Madame J
June 24th, 2009, 05:49 AM
This is going to sound weird, but could you take the banded tail and somehow tie it down with a strap around your chest, under your uniform, so that it's tucked under your shirt, but doesn't have the potential to fly out? I've seen athletic tape for girls in the hair section at Target -- it's girly colors like purple and pink, but it would be under your clothes, so your master wouldn't see it.

Otherwise, would doubling up the ponytail on itself reduce the length and increase the thickness enough to reduce whippage? I used to just do a French braid that I tucked and pinned under itself when I had about APL+ hair in high school and did Tae Kwon Do. My master warned us not to keep long hair out because it was a grabbing hazard.

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
First thing to come to mind was the cheater's bun.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=138

You can use bobby pins to hold it instead of a stick. I do that all the time. You may need to coil it a few times, but it fits the 'must not show off length, only using a hair tie and bobby pins' and it's secure enough for me to run, jump, and cause general mischief in.

Or you could do the same bun with your already banded tail for extra security.

NightDaemon
June 24th, 2009, 05:59 AM
The problem with taping my tail down would be that it'd restrict my mobility, especially when I need to move my head quickly (ie situations that would make for whipping). I'll have a look at a sock bun, though, if I can find anything to play sock for it. I should also point out that I am *terrible* at braids, I've never made a successful one yet, between my 3a and my lack of skill.

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Check out this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcTLnOvOEyw&feature=channel_page

You don't need to do the braid, just pin the extra. :)

Fencai
June 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Im going to vote for sock bun as well.
Its secure, hides the length and is a "classic" military style.

Altocumulus
June 24th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I usually wear my hair in a braid for karate, but sometimes it does whip me, especially during kata. I think if I were you, I'd make a braid or banded ponytail, fold it in half, and put more bands around it so that it is half the length. I wear my hair like that to sleep to avoid trapping my braid underneath me, and its very comfortable and secure.

Whatever method you decide on, be sure to try it out in class a few times first. You don't want to encounter a problem during your black belt exam!

Good luck, and gambatte!

kdaniels8811
June 24th, 2009, 10:02 AM
A french twist? Made with pins, hidden. That may be an easy one.

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 10:22 AM
That's a good idea, actually.

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Is a french twist sturdy enough for physical activity? I've rarely worn one so I don't remember...

EvaSimone
June 24th, 2009, 11:00 AM
A french twist has always struck me as being uber feminine.

I vote for a sock bun or regular bun or braided bun.

Shorty89
June 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I second the suggestion of a tucked in or folded french braid. My hair is classic and if I do that I have a APL length braid which is nice and no pins needed. Just tuck the end under the "french" part of the braid and put an elastic around it.

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
It can be secure if you use enough pins.

I don't think it's all that feminine, and it would really hide the length.

Das Siechtum
June 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I'd like to know which martial art you practice. I do Judo and for that I wear this braid:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/punisher1981_2006/diary/JudoZopf.jpg

Pegasus Marsters
June 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Another vote for a sock bun here. It'd hold super securely. :)

GlassEyes
June 24th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Another vote for a sock bun here. It'd hold super securely. :)
I'm changing my vote to this too. I JUST tried my first one, and it really IS secure. That thing isn't going anywhere if a hurricane hits. XD

NightDaemon
June 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Taekwon-Do, so lots of jumping and spinning and bouncing around.

French braids are probably a bit beyond me, considering I can't even get a normal braid to work.

Natalia
June 24th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Maybe a modified catipillar? I think the catapillar looks very manly (sorry ladies :o) . I would start it like a half up then when you get to the nape double your hair up underneath (like a folded braid) then band th doubles hair all the way down just like a regular catapillar and pin the tail up by your nape with bobbies. You seem to have plenty of input just thought id add. It would be short and masculine.

ETA: I just read that you have trouble with braid but if you can manage a basic three strand you could do that from the nape and then double/tripple it and band it that would be uber secure.

GlassEyes
June 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
He already does a 'caterpillar'. It's also known as a 'banded ponytail'.

Norai
June 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Any dancers around here? I bet they have ideas for really secure bun styles that are no-frill. Some sort of bun held with a ton of amish pins would do pretty well I think. I bet a braided bun would hold well with the pins, if you have them.

When I did martial arts I did either a low braid or a high ponytail braided halfway down, but that's in the hit-people-in-the-face category... I'm not a fan of how sock buns look though.

Natalia
June 25th, 2009, 06:57 PM
He already does a 'caterpillar'. It's also known as a 'banded ponytail'.

I saw the badned pony mentioned after i posted but i didnt see any mentions of trying to braid or fold it into a smaller stub for lack of a better term :p

GlassEyes
June 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I saw the badned pony mentioned after i posted but i didnt see any mentions of trying to braid or fold it into a smaller stub for lack of a better term :p

True. xD; Sorry.

Altocumulus
June 25th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Actually, I did make that suggestion.

NightDaemon
June 25th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Actually, from what I understand a caterpillar is to a banded tail as a french braid is to an english braid... and I don't do that, I just get it all in one tail, then a band every palm-width or so to stop it tangling.

noelgirl
June 25th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Any dancers around here? I bet they have ideas for really secure bun styles that are no-frill. Some sort of bun held with a ton of amish pins would do pretty well I think. I bet a braided bun would hold well with the pins, if you have them.

When I did martial arts I did either a low braid or a high ponytail braided halfway down, but that's in the hit-people-in-the-face category... I'm not a fan of how sock buns look though.

I'm a dancer, and I always wear a braided bun for ballet class. It is the most secure updo for me - it doesn't move until I say it moves. Plus, in my case it gave new meaning to the phrase "protective updo" - I once hit my head on the barre while stretching, but the bun cushioned the blow :cheese:

eternallyverdan
June 26th, 2009, 03:22 AM
I would vote for a folded braid as well-- when I'm doing my yoga, which involves a lot of jumping around, I braid everything but the last few inches and then fold it in half and put a single hairtie at the nape of my neck. It stays put when you're moving around, and there's no chance of sticking yourself with a lethal hair implement if you fall over or someone hits you in the head. With your hair length the folded braid should be too short to whip around and hit someone.

BittSweetCherry
June 26th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I use a braided nautilus bun secured with a U-pin and a couple of bobby pins for kickboxing - it easily survives at least an hour of bouncing without budging, but if you're not very good with braids then you'll need to start practicing! I can do a step-by-step photo tutorial if you need over the next couple of days.

U-pins can easily be made using double ended knitting needles from Lincraft or Spotlight - they're ~$3 for a 4-pack from what I remember, and you can bend them as much as you like until you get the right prong spacing and curve to suit you. I'm not sure what tae kwon do involves, but if there's no close-contact grappling and groundfighting (ie. chokeholds from behind) then there's no way that you or another competitor can be poked by it.

When I was still doing ju-jitsu, I used to just wear a braid with bands at the nape and the ends; I agree that it's not the best (for fellow competitors, that is).

Yeesha
June 26th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I'm doing Aikido (sometimes... haven't been there for a while now... *sniff*), and my hair keeps getting in my way with all the falling down and rolling on the floor...
I'm doing a folded braid, but I will try a (flat) braided bun... Sounds much more comfortable (hey, I can sleep on that thing... *g*).^^

Therefore I too would recommend to you some sort of braid... Braiding is easy so: just practice a litte bit. :)

NightDaemon
June 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM
If anyone has any tips on braiding, I'm all ears (actually, I've only got the normal pair, any more would be just silly!) (also, I guess since it's a written medium, I'm all eyes) (still just the normal pair of whatever it is I'll be paying attention with.)

I usually get tripped up at the point where I try to divide my hair up into the three sections. I've no idea how to tell if they're all the same size, and my hair goes *everywhere* once I try to start braiding it.

rhysiana
June 26th, 2009, 12:37 PM
If anyone has any tips on braiding, I'm all ears (actually, I've only got the normal pair, any more would be just silly!) (also, I guess since it's a written medium, I'm all eyes) (still just the normal pair of whatever it is I'll be paying attention with.)

I usually get tripped up at the point where I try to divide my hair up into the three sections. I've no idea how to tell if they're all the same size, and my hair goes *everywhere* once I try to start braiding it.

I actually just wrote a tutorial on this on my blog, because I had a non-LHC friend who asked, and I figured I'd copy it here, too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=47021

Let me know if you can't see that, for whatever reason. It's how I taught myself how to braid.

NightDaemon
June 27th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I actually just wrote a tutorial on this on my blog, because I had a non-LHC friend who asked, and I figured I'd copy it here, too.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=47021

Let me know if you can't see that, for whatever reason. It's how I taught myself how to braid.
This just in: You win at being awesome.

rhysiana
June 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM
This just in: You win at being awesome.

Aww, yay! I hope it works for you. I had initially hesitated to say anything because it does show off the length a bit, but hopefully you can combine it with the other suggestions for doubling under, etc. Good luck (with your hair and the belt test)!

NightDaemon
June 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Training in half an hour or so... it's not pretty, but it's a real braid! I've got it doubled over to lower the length a little. The tassle bit at the end is about half the length of the braid, so it actually looks a little cool with that. We'll see how it runs!

NightDaemon
June 30th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Held up fairly well, I think this might make my regular repertoire. I still need more practice with it though...

rhysiana
June 30th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hooray, success! Congratulations!

florenonite
June 30th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I would go with something that only uses hair elastics, myself, like the folded braid, because I've fallen with hairpins in at karate before and it hurts (mind you, I'm a bit of a wimp :p). I've been trying to find a karate hairstyle, as I've recently gone back after a two-year hiatus and my hair's grown a lot since then. One way I've been doing it, which is reasonably secure, is doing a ponytail, and then taking a second elastic and tying that around the ponytail twice, not pulling the ponytail through all the way either time, and then tucking in the bits. I suspect this isn't the best for my hair health, though <...<