PDA

View Full Version : Cornstarch and Baby Powder for Oily Hair?

Sha-na-na
June 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
A friend of mine suggested keeping a small container or bottle of either baby powder or cornstarch in one's purse for oily bangs. She told me that her daughter applies a dab, or a very small bit, of either one when her bangs appear oily midday.

I have VERY oily hair and skin, and I cannot go a day without doing a scalp wash.

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, is it effective? Do you have any other suggestions for this hairtype and how to keep bangs/scalp oil free for a day?

Thanks!

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 01:20 AM
I do this! *raises hand*

I keep a container of baby powder in the bathroom just for bangs :) I either fluff it in at the roots with a makeup brush or a 'poof' the container until a puff of powder comes out and I aim it at my bangs and comb through.

A little goes a long way and you don't want to end up looking gray (unless you already are ;) )

It really works :D :flower:

PaddedPushUpBra
June 24th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Yup! My bangs get greasy around 2 or so, which makes my bangs look gross. I use a bit of baby powder and it definitely helps!

manderly
June 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
It works, but it always felt and looked gross to me. It just felt like I had greasy cornstarch/baby powder in my hair. And no matter how little I used, it always seemed visible on my dark hair.

I would rather just soap up my bangs in the sink :)

Madame J
June 24th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Have you looked at the recipe for Nanny Pauline's Dusting Powder in the Favorite Recipes thread in the Henna and Herbal Haircare forum?

Tap Dancer
June 24th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I've used baby powder on my bangs and oily roots before. I'd do this if I planned on washing my hair later that day. It does feel weird and it didn't make my hair look much better, but it's okay as a temporary "fix."

Calista
June 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I used to do this for my scalp hair when I tried to stretch washings. I use quite a liberal amount and apply it with my hands, then brush through. The hair looks slightly greyer afterwards, but IMO not very noticeably so. It only works once, though, and then I have to wash.

Charlotte
June 24th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Yup...always put a bit of talcum or baby powder around my hair line on day 3 (gets me through to day 4). Pretty much any powder will do - the finer the better. Less is definately more or I end up with greyish and very dull looking hair. My daughters both use it in their oily hair to save washing every single day. The lighter the natural colour of your hair, the better the results in my humble opinion. Eldest daughter (sweet 16) has pale blonde hair and the powder is basically undetectable whereas on my younger daughter (14 years) and myself have to be careful not to overdose on the powder (we're both mousy blonde).:)

VanillaTresses
June 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
All of the women in my family do this! :)

Darscilla
June 24th, 2009, 09:12 AM
It works, but it always felt and looked gross to me. It just felt like I had greasy cornstarch/baby powder in my hair. And no matter how little I used, it always seemed visible on my dark hair.

I would rather just soap up my bangs in the sink :)

Ditto all of that :agree: It soaks up the oil, but just shows up too much on dark hair. I've got a Lush shampoo bar on my sink for bangs-only washes :)

jivete
June 24th, 2009, 09:40 AM
I use corn starch for this but sometimes face powder in a pinch. My hair gets oily pretty fast, so day two usually requires a little powder to keep from looking bleh.

rags
June 24th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I use this occasionally - think I will be doing it more now that I have cut bangs! I prefer the cornstarch, as it seems to me that the baby powder shows up more. It only gets me through one day though, then I usually wash that night.

UP Lisa
June 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM
I use either corn starch or a transluscent face powder. Works pretty well, as long as I don't get too much and be sure to brush it out as much as possible.

Moonstruck
June 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've tried this, and had similar results as Manderly - still oily and lank, but now feeling of cornstarch or whatever I used. It also makes my scalp itchy and doesn't brush out of my dark hair very easily.

I do better with just a scalp wash. I've tried it a number of times, with different ratios and ingredients, with very little difference. Good luck, though!

trigger
June 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I prefer to use a dry shampoo...

CaityBear
June 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yup, I've done it before. You just have to be VERY careful about not using too much. I sometimes just use a make-up brush to puff some on my roots. I've done it sometimes when I don't have time to shower in the morning and my bangs are insanely greasy. It gets me through 6 hours. :P

Themyst
June 24th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I do not understand - I tried this before and my hair looked just awful, greasier, stringier ... yet I hear of people doing it all the time. :confused:

disoriented
June 25th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Unlike other ppl, my Asian hair tends to get too matt after applying baby powder. So I tried some body powder with glitter (I think I bought one from Lush), and I am quite pleased with the result. Mind you, it's my top greasy bit, not my fringe/bangs. Dry shampoo was also OK, but I am not so fond of it . (when wrongly applied it gets my hair really, really greasy)

Norai
June 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I have used dry clay for this, and it works *really* well. I don't use it very often because the idea of putting dirt in my dirty hair is kind of off-putting, but it really does work. Just don't use too much :)

coolbreeze212
June 25th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have tried both cornstarch and baby powder. Honestly, I only use them in an emergency...as I really don't care for either. They never seem to give me a real clean/ungreasy look.

I recently check out a library book called The Five-Minute Hair Stylist by Christine Moodie. (It contains several long-hair braids, twists, etc. but it is not long-hair friendly in all regards. Nice book though.) Anyway, she writes this on page 17...

"There are plenty of dry shampoos on the market which save the trouble of daily washing, but resist the temptation to use them on a regular basis as they tend to clog the roots of the hair. Never, ever, dredge your hair with talcum powder, even if you feel desperate"

What irks me about the last sentence is she doesn't explain WHY you shouldn't use talcum powder specifically. (It's just a personal flaw...if someone says "xyz"...I don't like following blindly...I like to know WHY.) Perhaps it's because of the health risks associated with talcum...but she just doesn't elaborate.

She goes on in the next sentence to write:

"Use lemon juice or vinegar in your rinse water as a natural method of combatting oily hair."

Sha-na-na
June 26th, 2009, 02:37 PM
She goes on in the next sentence to write:

"Use lemon juice or vinegar in your rinse water as a natural method of combatting oily hair."

Whoa, I never thought of that. I wonder if there would be negative effects to the drying that lemon juice or vinegar would cause. Anyone else try this? I may just add some to my shampoo bottle... Thanks!!!

rach
June 26th, 2009, 03:20 PM
you've just save me writing a thread on this . on whether it was common knowledge . looks like it is.

i've used this in emergencies when i have no time.