PDA

View Full Version : Question for curly/wavy hair :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 23rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
When do you count your hair as a goal length? when its curly and reaches that point or when its straight?

I dried my hair today in a bun to see how long it really is when its straight and I was shocked that it almost reached my waist! My hands are at waist length... but when its all curled up I think its a good 3" shorter..
http://www.septemberpixie.com/lj/hair/IMG_4014.jpg

manderly
June 23rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
The way my hair naturally looks and where it naturally hits. :)

So when it's wavy and it hits waist-ish I'll be happy. Doesn't matter if I stretch it out and it hits waist, because I don't walk around pulling my hair straight in the back! :p

misspriss
June 23rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Since I usually bun mine, I measure at bun straightened length. When I'm feeling hopeful, I stretch it out.

demitasse
June 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Same as above. :) I'd gain a couple inches if I broke out the flat iron and really straightened it out but I never wear my hair that way. To me, it's like saying, "If I wear high heels, I'm 5'11"." Except I don't and I'm not. My hair is wurly and poofy in its natural state so that's where I'd measure it.

Silly analogy.

Copasetic
June 23rd, 2009, 06:25 PM
My goal is for my hair to be waist length when it is curly, because I want to be able to enjoy the length without having to fuss with it too much. But when I measure it, I measure it stretched out.

GlassEyes
June 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
I only measure curly, because, even though I can do the hairstyles of the stretched length, I want it classic curly. Which is about knee on me.

AmericanWoman
June 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
My hair will reach TB at 37"wet. Officially,it needs to be 40"to be at TB dry. I measure it when wet,but I'll count it when its TB dry.

Euphony
June 23rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
I think it's what you want personally. I think most of us consider our goal in the hair's natural state. But really it's all about what you want.

I had to guess what my goal inches would be since I'm not exactly sure how much length the wave swallows up. I think I pegged it about right. When my hair is pulled straight it's past my first goal of tail bone at the length I have now - it should be solidly at tail bone at 40"...but then again, it's been a while since I measured so I could be at 40" now so my guess would've been wrong. I should measure soon :D

Dars
June 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
At the start I would measure it wet, but now I'm sticking to dry. It's nice to see the extra length but it's not "real" in an aspect.

camirra555
June 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
My goal is for my hair to be waist length when it is curly, because I want to be able to enjoy the length without having to fuss with it too much. But when I measure it, I measure it stretched out.

Same here, I'd like my hair to be BSL-Waist when curly so that's probably around classic straight. I also measure it stretched out. My curls dry differently sometimes so I figure this is the most accurate way of keeping track

ladylibra
June 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Well, I have different goals for both curly and straight. Yes, it looks chin-length when curly and dry... but trust me, when I'm combing it or styling it I'm very well aware that it's actually BSL! :laugh:

I would like my hair to be around shoulder/APL when curly. Now, that would be past waist straightened... nearly hip probably. So... we shall see what happens. :D

may1em
June 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
Goal length is when it hits that when wavy. Any added length when it's straighter is just a bonus.

At this point, I'm not sure if I have a goal in mind or not. I'd be happy if I grew six more inches or so. It would be cool to have hip-length hair. But at the moment, I'd like to grow out the last of my layers, and the shortest ones are somewhere between four and six inches up from my hemline. Once all the layers/heat styling damage is gone, then I'll think about more length.

Kiraela
June 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I pretty much consider its length as it appears daily, and in pictures - so dry and combed out, which kills a bit of the wave, but that's how I wear it usually. Wet, I'm solidly at midbutt (2.5"-3" past TB). Dry, I'm about 1.5" past TB.

handsclean
June 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I count it when it's curly- I noticed while my hair was wet in the shower, that it must actually be reaching BSL, but it's just above APL with my curls. I always considered myself to have slow growth, but maybe now that I've stopped flat ironing it, my hair is growing but the curls make it look shorter. Oh well, I'll always wear it curly now anyways, so to say i've reached hip straight would probably be above waist straight, which isn't my goal.

Kimberly
June 23rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
I measure mine stretched or wet, because the amount of curl and shrinkage vary so much from day to day. Though there is an attraction to measuring it dry and saying, "Ooh it grew 3" since yesterday!"

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 23rd, 2009, 10:27 PM
I measure mine stretched or wet, because the amount of curl and shrinkage vary so much from day to day. Though there is an attraction to measuring it dry and saying, "Ooh it grew 3" since yesterday!"

LOL yeah I have the same issue, mine never hits the same place from day to day I guess I can say I am anywhere from BSL to WL lol

Bene
June 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
had to think about this for a bit. i figure i'll grow until hair feels "lengthy" even when i allow it to get curly.

getoffmyskittle
June 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
I get excited when my hair reaches a body point stretched out, but I wait till it's visible to the casual observer before I declare it.

redcelticcurls
June 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
I set my inch goal as wet hair. It's the only way I can get a consistent measurement.

I am waist length when wet, and run between APL and BSL when dry, depending on my routine and the dewpoint.

As for my dry goal, I'd like to get to the longest length I can without getting too much curl drag. I've spent too many years hating my curls to lose them again due to length.

I tend to lose too much curl when I get to that area between BSL and waist, so I usually stop there.

If I could keep a 3b pattern at waist length, it would be great. But my hair is heavy, and my pattern isn't quite strong enough to do that.

SO, I'll be a BSL-ish kind of gal. It does make me feel like a poser here at times since it's quite a modest goal. Yet, I do know that my BSL is a type 1s waist or hip. It's just shrinkage!

Jules diamond
June 23rd, 2009, 10:49 PM
I usually measure it straight, but I count goals wavy.

Arctic
June 23rd, 2009, 11:43 PM
I measure when it's wet, it's the straightest then.

Adrienne
June 23rd, 2009, 11:55 PM
My Goal is Chin Length Curly. when the short layers of my hair reach chin length curly. I would like to cut the long layers and start growing out blunt.

I dont care what Length that is straight. I dont even have any Idea. maybe Shoulder??? or Very Nearly Shoulder, but whatever it is I will enjoy it I am sure If I ever do choose to Straighten.

Starr
June 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I measure wet for the sake of consistancy. . . some days my hair dries above waist, some days right at it, and some days below it- that can be a 6" difference on any given day. I've finally made it to midbutt on the way to classic when stretched and I'm claiming every hard-earned inch of it, at least here on LHC I am. But since my long term goal is classic when dry, and my hair won't look like it until about knee, I have no plans on sharing that outside the boards anytime soon.

Aditi
June 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
I have wavy hair and i measure my hair when its completely dry and untouched, i feel stretching the hair is kind of cheating but that's just my opinion.

Merewen
June 24th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I figure I can hit each benchmark 3 times. First when it's wet, then when it's wavy, and then when it's at its curliest. I'd "officially" call it whatever it is at the shortest, but I see no reason to not celebrate all of those. I need something to celebrate in my life. :D

30isthenewblack
June 24th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Like other people who posted before me, I measure my hair wet and pulled straight for consistency. However, I measure my benchmarks and milestones when my hair is curly. So I am posting in the BSL to Waist group even though my hair is already waist straight. I'm waiting until it's waist curly before I reach that goal!

lailmil
June 24th, 2009, 02:06 AM
my goal is wrist length with curly hair, because I want that look, not that lenght in general!

Vic
June 24th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I`d like my hair to be tailbone-ish when curly... that`ll be in... like... 10 years ^_^

Green Elf
June 24th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I measure it when it's wet... becaure every time they get wavy in a different way, I'd have a different lenght every time...
But my goal (tailbone) is with wavy hair ;)

JamieLeigh
June 26th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I go with wavy length on body milestones like classic length...but when I measure to get a number, I pull it straight.

ReddishRocks
June 26th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The way my hair naturally looks and where it naturally hits. :)

So when it's wavy and it hits waist-ish I'll be happy. Doesn't matter if I stretch it out and it hits waist, because I don't walk around pulling my hair straight in the back! :p

This is how I go about it too... so if I want to cheat, I measure on a low dew point day. :D