PDA

View Full Version : Does hair reach a limit length?

danizela
June 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hello! Let me introduce myself a little first:
Im new and Im trying to grow my hair longer. Im from Argentina and found this lovely site searching for long hair tips. Ive done a lot of research and learned a lot about hair in the past year, so I thought it was time for me to join you ;)
My hair is several inches past my waist already(as you can see in my pic). I havent cut my hair in 2 years or so, I just trim it myself every so often. Im a sicissors phobic!
I havent seen a remarkable improvement in length in a long time, so I was wondering...
Has my hair reached it's growth limit? Does this even exist?
What do you guys think?
Im expecting to learn from all of you and be helpful to this community as much as I can :)

Thanks!

Samikha
June 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Around here we call that limit "terminal", the longest possible your hair will grow. All hair strands have a limited phase of time they will grow until they fall out. For example, the hair on your legs has a much shorter terminal length than the stuff on your head. No matter how much you pamper it it's never going to grow much longer :lol:

I won't go into any more detail, because I honestly don't know too much more ;)

A bit below waist is fairly short for a true terminal length, though. Is it possible you've stopped growing because you've been neglecting it somehow? Wearing your hair down a lot, insufficient conditioning, mechanical or chemical damage can all be culprits. Several members have found their hair started growing again when they eliminated damage from, for example, the back of a chair. Have you bleached or dyed your hair in the past? Do you ever find your hair breaking off at the ends?

It's possible you're at terminal now, but paying attention to these things can help confirm it. Some people also experience stalls - hair not noticeably growing for a while, and then it starts growing again for no apparent reason.

ETA: And welcome, of course :flower:

lora410
June 23rd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Rule of thumb for terminal is if it hasn't grown AT ALL in 1 yr you are most likely terminal length. There is not preset length for everyone. It depends on genetics, diet etc.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Around here we call that limit "terminal", the longest possible your hair will grow. All hair strands have a limited phase of time they will grow until they fall out. For example, the hair on your legs has a much shorter terminal length than the stuff on your head. No matter how much you pamper it it's never going to grow much longer :lol:

I won't go into any more detail, because I honestly don't know too much more ;)

A bit below waist is fairly short for a true terminal length, though. Is it possible you've stopped growing because you've been neglecting it somehow? Wearing your hair down a lot, insufficient conditioning, mechanical or chemical damage can all be culprits. Several members have found their hair started growing again when they eliminated damage from, for example, the back of a chair. Have you bleached or dyed your hair in the past? Do you ever find your hair breaking off at the ends?

It's possible you're at terminal now, but paying attention to these things can help confirm it. Some people also experience stalls - hair not noticeably growing for a while, and then it starts growing again for no apparent reason.

ETA: And welcome, of course :flower:

I agree with this (including the welcome).

Do your best to take care of your health and your hair. I hope it reaches the length of your dreams.