PDA

View Full Version : Should I Try Again?

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 10:35 PM
Ok this may be a futile post since in the end damage is damage but i could use some advice before i go and mess around with this. I was going through the articles section again yeasteday and today brushing up so to speak :p ont hings i may have forgotten or couldnt use at the time that would do me well now. And i ran across the ever useful diagnostic guide, the one that tells you what your hair might need.

Well i know from experiance my hair HATES protien treatments, egg washes, anything like that but now that ive changed to COing and have seen somevery positive changesif certain parts of my hair might need different attention. Obvious i know :rolleyes: but ive never really bothered to treat my ends differently than my length other than maybe oiling them more often as it seems needed. I treat my scalp differently than my length so why not my ends?

Well now as i was reading it i think my ends may need some protien. But seeing as my past protein experiance have been along the lines of week long brillo head :doh: im hesitant. I was wondering what you all think and if maybe you had any moderate protien recipes i could try?

I dont want to do to much at once to my poor damaged ends but since i dont plan on trimming for a bit longer i was hoping i can at least make them feel better with a little TLC. Since im just putting it on my ends it cant be too much of a terirble disaster right? I have alot of food ingredients in the house avacados, eggs, bananas stuff like that if it helps you any. I also have a decent stash of indian herbs if they might helps as ingredients. I have quite a few oils to choose from as well.

Like i said i was hoping for a moderate not high protien recipe if you hae any or might know how to modify one. I really do not want to buy any new product if it can be avoided. Its hard to get out and im super picky about ingredients as is my skin. Can anyone help me out?

TIA,
Natalia

EvaSimone
June 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I believe a mayonaisse deep treatment would probably classify as moderate protein and it also has a moisture component.

I have never tried a mayo treatment but I know lots of members here have done it.

My hair hates protein treatments of any kind so needless to say I don't bother with them. When my ends start feeling dry and damaged they usually need to be clarified then given a moisture treatment. Usually if your hair hates something it continues to hate it. :twocents:

Good luck! Also if you decide to use bananas or avocados make sure that they aren't chunky at all. I mean seriously puree and then strain them. I once used bananas in a hair mask and picked out chunks of banana for two days. :lol:

Melisande
June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I bought a bottle of hydrolyzed wheat protein. My hair dislikes eggs and commercial protein treatment, but with the wheat protein, I can add as little as I wish. Usually, I put some drops is a mister, with distilled water and some drops of camellia oil. This makes my hair stronger and more voluminous. But without the crunchiness I experience from protein overkill. My hair really needs very little protein, but it thrives on those tiny amounts.

I also add the what protein to my deep treatment: conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil, honey, wheat protein, keratin (another protein in a bottle).

I like being able to control the amount I use. I find both keratin and wheat protein beneficial for my hair, especially my length and ends.

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
I believe a mayonaisse deep treatment would probably classify as moderate protein and it also has a moisture component.

I have never tried a mayo treatment but I know lots of members here have done it.

My hair hates protein treatments of any kind so needless to say I don't bother with them. When my ends start feeling dry and damaged they usually need to be clarified then given a moisture treatment. Usually if your hair hates something it continues to hate it. :twocents:

Good luck! Also if you decide to use bananas or avocados make sure that they aren't chunky at all. I mean seriously puree and then strain them. I once used bananas in a hair mask and picked out chunks of banana for two days. :lol:

Oh thanks :). I didnt think of mayo. Though ours is low fat so i wont be getting much moisture there :p i can just add some. Ive already tires moisture upon mosture and lots of oils with a bit of improvment but hey still feel like they need to go which i just cant bear right now. I could clarify my ends i guess but my skin absolutly does not tolerate any SLS anymore. I agree that if it didnt work for you once without a serious change in needs it still wont work. But to be honest when i did try i wasnt noticing my ends much becasue i couldnt get my fingers throughthe middle!

Oh yes and i learned the avacado/banana thing many years ago hahaha nothing like green/brown bits and smelling like a rotten banana split in class :p.

I bought a bottle of hydrolyzed wheat protein. My hair dislikes eggs and commercial protein treatment, but with the wheat protein, I can add as little as I wish. Usually, I put some drops is a mister, with distilled water and some drops of camellia oil. This makes my hair stronger and more voluminous. But without the crunchiness I experience from protein overkill. My hair really needs very little protein, but it thrives on those tiny amounts.

I also add the what protein to my deep treatment: conditioner, olive oil, coconut oil, honey, wheat protein, keratin (another protein in a bottle).

I like being able to control the amount I use. I find both keratin and wheat protein beneficial for my hair, especially my length and ends.

Cool! Im glad it works so well for you! But t hink i'll skip on the wheat. Especially concentrated like that i dont think iw illc hance any gluten but thank you :). Maybe the keratin would work for me. How much was your bottle and wehre did you find it? I might consier it for the future. I could always use more volume especially with all the hair loss ive had past few months :(. Im still afraid of using any on my middle length but maybe the idea will grow on me if i get the desire to experiment.

I actually went and read up on the indian herbs i have again and i think i might try those first with my next SMT but just do a paste on the ends closer to the washing time before i do some protein. Im a total chicken about the possibility of brillo lol.

Thank you both :). I will keep this in mind

ChloeDharma
June 23rd, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'd try some yogurt, for me it does wonders but my hair doesn't mind protein at all. What would be a good idea is to include a moisture treatment at the same time, or maybe just mix some glycerin or honey with whatever protein treatment you use.
Also, for the ends specifically i'd braid my hair then apply some castor oil to the tassle.
HTH :)

Madame J
June 23rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Have you done the hair diagnostic test in Kirin's article? That might give you a better idea. You need to use sulfate shampoo to do it as written, but you can usually get travel-sized bottles of simple sulfate shampoo for a dollar or so, for a one-time diagnosis.

Natalia
June 23rd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'd try some yogurt, for me it does wonders but my hair doesn't mind protein at all. What would be a good idea is to include a moisture treatment at the same time, or maybe just mix some glycerin or honey with whatever protein treatment you use.
Also, for the ends specifically i'd braid my hair then apply some castor oil to the tassle.
HTH :)

Hi ChloeDharma :)! Thank you for the idea. I have some goat yogurt around and honey as well as glycerin so thats sounds good. I aslo have castor oil i havent been applying it straight becasue of the consistancy. It seems to help even in a mix though. I just got sick of always having sick ends when myhair was down :(. Its fine for braiding tillit soaks in but ive been feeling like wearing it down for a few hours a day now. Thanks again :)

Have you done the hair diagnostic test in Kirin's article? That might give you a better idea. You need to use sulfate shampoo to do it as written, but you can usually get travel-sized bottles of simple sulfate shampoo for a dollar or so, for a one-time diagnosis.

Hi Madam J :). That was the article i was reffering to in my first post. I cant use sulfates without my scalp breakngout in horribly itchy oozing scabs so thats not an option unless i am super carefull over the sink to do just my ends so it doesnt touch my skin. Thanks though :)

Nevermore
June 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Have you tried single sulfate shampoo? I thought I had problems with sulfates periods, but I was using shampoos with multiple sulfates (Suave seems to be consistant in doing this), including the harsher ones. I'm using Mane N Tail without any problems now. It might be worth a try to test a single sulfate 'poo if you haven't already tried it.

Unnamed
June 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
My hair hates protein, too. Really loathes it. But sometimes it just begs for it (usually every 2-6 months or so). If moisture, clarifying, and S&D (in that order) doesn't help the ends...I pull out the protein. And when I pull it out...well, I pull out the most proteiny thing I have. :oops:

My old protein condish was a reconstructor, but they changed the product (big one being replaced the keratin proteins with plant proteins), so back in January I broke down and got a bottle of MegaTek, which...well, ingredients go 'water' then 'hydrolyzed keratin protein'. :lol: If my hair wants protein it really wants protein.

Also, random: it seems to like hair protein a TON more than plant, milk, etc. proteins. Wheat protein is the worst (and, random, but I seem to have issues with either gluten or wheat, as well as milk). And hair protein doesn't seem to bug my hair much at all even regularly as long as it's really small amounts.

I usually do some sort of SMT immediately after (either condish, honey, and aloe vera, or just the first two), as otherwise it can still be a bit off feeling.

Before I got the MegaTek but after out of my old one I did toss some mayo in with some other...things (honey, aloe, conditioner, oil...a ton of stuff that wasn't protein lol) and used that. It didn't quite fix things, but it did help in a pinch, and I've done that a few other times in the past. I absolutely have to do a long SMT after messing with mayo, though; but, again, my hair seems to prefer hair protein over other proteins. Whatever is in mayo is pretty far up on the dislike list it seems.

For clarifying you might try a different sulfate. I do okay with ALS. SLS/SLES are...meh, SMS is BAD (never, ever again), and sulfonates are also really bad and I won't touch those, either. Or another alternative might be to mix baking soda in with an 'okay' shampoo (a little or a lot--I'd often make up almost a paste for the ends) and clarify with that...or even just baking soda and water into a paste, although that might be a bit more abrading than with shampoo.