PDA

View Full Version : Shima Kindelan: Heard of her?

NickalNack
June 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
There's this woman who I discovered on youtube in my early days of natural... ness. Her name is Shima, and at first I thought her videos were just another gimmicky con about helping afro textured haired individuals grow their hair "SUPER FAST or their money back!!" or something, until I realized that what she was saying actually made a lot of sense. Plus she shows her face in some of her videos.

Basically, her hair is relaxed (for any of you relaxed ladies out there) but her hair is thick, shiny, and about tail bone length now. She makes a pretty big claim of growing heir hair from a little past shoulder length to waist length in ten months because of the methods she uses.

I personally think she seems pretty legitimate, but what are your opinions?

Here are links to her youtube, home page, and twitter:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Shimahair21

http://www.shimahair.com/

http://twitter.com/Shimahair21

It's not that I'm asking anyone if they think I should purchase her products. If I decide to buy her "Shima oil" (not that she claims her oil is a magic hair potion or anything) I'll most likely do it, but I'm just wondering what people outside of youtube have to say about her, or if anyone else has heard of her.

Moldilocks
June 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I really like her! Good energy and good information, even for a white girl (myself). moisturized hair is moisturized hair. Thank you for sharing. :O)

EvaSimone
June 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
Umm... listening to her youtube videos and viewing her website I personally think she seems a bit hinky. Not to mention the way she speaks in them bugs the crap out of me, I find it very unpleasant.

Listen to these youtube videos, you'll realize in about ten seconds why she's hard to listen to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AFTktzsJtE&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9G5LRHeYrc&feature=channel

shudder:

She does have beautiful hair and IMO she's capitalizing on the fact that many black people have a hard time growing their hair. Also her claim of growing from shoulder to waist in ten months is rather unbelievable. Average growth is half an inch. Most people need at least eight-ten inches from their shoulders to reach waist. I doubt she has a growth rate that is regularly 1" per month for an extended period of time.

In one of her videos she shows pictures of her bending over and talking about how she's, "Cradling her hair in her hands. . . it's almost knee length." Uhh.. duh. You're bent over and your knee is propped up. :rolleyes:

I guess for $12.95 you can try her oil and see if it works "immediately" as she claims. Personally I recommend www.longlovelylocks.com they are owned by an african american woman and she makes wonderful hair care products for all kinds of hair types and textures. She doesn't make outrageous promises about her products and she also used to have a picture of her hair before and after up on the site. I personally use two of her products and like them a lot.

Roseate
June 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
I've never heard of her before, but nothing wrong with oiling and protective styles, which seems to be her main focus.

My hair takes about two years to go from shoulder to waist, though, no matter how moisturized and protected it is! Good for her if she can do it in half the time- I know we have some members here with that kind of growth rate. But I doubt anyone else could get her speed just by using her oil.

HappyHair87
June 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
I've heard of Shima. The info is good though but she got a lot of it from other hair sites like LHCF and boy do they not like her over there!!! Bc she made some false claims against some of the members to boost her business.

I actually grew my hair from APL to Mid-Back length in 9 months.....some people do get an inch of growth per month...my hair does it in the spring and summer. Its all about keeping those end healthy, keeping the length strong and the scalp clean.

HappyHair87
June 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM
I've heard of Shima. The info is good though but she got a lot of it from other hair sites like LHCF and boy do they not like her over there!!! Bc she made some false claims against some of the members to boost her business.

I actually grew my hair from APL to Mid-Back length in 9 months.....some people do get an inch of growth per month...my hair does it in the spring and summer. Its all about keeping those end healthy, keeping the length strong and the scalp clean.
And that's not from using her oils might i add.....just good healthy hair care.:cheese:

NickalNack
June 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
What would the LHCF members have against her? I mean, there are relaxed people on that site aren't there? I can see Nappturality despising her, but LHCF? What were the false claims?

Nocturnal
June 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
I've seen a couple of her videos before. IMHO, 1 inch (stretched) a month is a reasonable hair growth. Her recommendations were along the lines of common LHC suggestions. But I was put off by her attitude towards non-longhaired people, and anyone who has different views on hair care and styling. I mean you don't make yourself look good by bashing someone who could care less,just keep it short and simple for those who do.

NickalNack
June 23rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I admit she is a little wordy and tends to go a bit out of her way to make her point, but because she also knows her stuff and knows what she's doing, she's in a way one of the few people who are actually entitled to be critical and even a little arrogant... which isn't to say I respect those qualities in a person much, but I'm just saying that if she were a more humble modest person as opposed to in-your-face and blunt then people would probably say "Girl if I were you I'd be the biggest b**** in the world!" or something. I mean... at least she's honest, and no one is 100% likable all the time when they're open about their thoughts and opinions.

I guess the main thing that convinces me that she's not a scam is the fact that she offers solutions that don't involve you spending money on her products specifically.

Bene
June 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
i've seen her videos. i can see why people would dislike her. also, she seems to act like she came up with the whole "treating your hair gently" routine.