PDA

View Full Version : No confidence in hair

sahiba
April 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM
How many of you ,before having beautiful hair, had no confidence to keep it open even after a head bath? Who all tried their best to hide their hair?
I still belong to this category (though I've improved and leave it open for a very short while). What you guys are seeing now is the hair which has improved a great deal only because of LHC. Otherwise I had hair which would always be a cause of worry to me.And it was no help to be surrounded by people with hair to die for.

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 05:28 AM
well, if you have hip length hair, you're already doing SOMETHING right. ;)

I've now been at LHC for almost two years, and finally have hair I (mostly) feel proud of. Freshly washed and air dried is my favorite, because then it's got the most volume.

As a kid, I was the "pretty" one with the straight, white-blonde hair. Adolescence made my hair darker and wavier and I didn't know what to do with it. I wanted to be "pretty", so I bleached it and blowdryed the waves into submission - for over 15 years. Needless to say, my hair was thin, wispy, unmanageable, and dry when I came to LHC. In comparison to the women I saw - bleached but still BSL and twice as thick as mine, or braids as thick as my wrist with no taper at all - my hair was embarassing.

If you saw me on the street, your head probably would not turn at my hair. In fact, most people don't notice my hair at all. But *I* do, and I am happy with it, and this makes me happy. Genetically I will never have a wrist-thick, taper free braid, my hair will never lie smooth and sleek, and my ends will probably always be thin. But I can maximise what I have and enjoy it, too.

brok3nwings
April 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I actually never tried to hide my hair, there was one specific time that my hair was really really terrible, damage at the worst and what i did was cut it all off! So yes i had really short hair for about 3 or 4 times but it didnt make me ugly, people liked it actually but the only thing that made me really sad is that i always loved hair, always loved taking care and toutch it so it was a desperation ehhe. I only hide my hair when it is a bad hair day otherwise i will let him free (i know its not a long hair) but even if it was a long hair i would let it be free...thats the point of having long hair for me, not exactly the updos, i love seeing hair shining at the day light

Lamb
April 10th, 2008, 07:06 AM
My way of hiding my hair used to be wearing it really short. I have curly hair which, in my teenage years, meant frizzy hair because I would brush/comb the heck out of it. It was dry, brittle, and of course everybody around me kept telling me short hair suits me better. So I kept it short, and I mean really short. Once or twice I let it grow to APL, but I didn't let it stay there for long!
When it looked decent, my grandma liked to say I inherited it from her and she was right - only, while she knew how to deal with it when she was young, I was never taught a thing.
Now I know that if I don't yank a brush through it a hundred times a day, keep harsh shampoos away from it and protect it in the wind, I can have the hair I inherited from my grandmother: curly, fine, and even shiny. She used to have beautiful hair when she was young and it still is pretty, although she is close to 90!

FrannyG
April 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM
My hair is very fine, and even though I have a lot of it, my ponytail circumference is very thin. I used to hide it by wearing it shoulder length and using mousse, blowdryers and curling irons to give it volume.

I honestly didn't think my hair was good enough to grow long. Joining LHC changed all of that for me.

Yes, there are many people here with thick locks, but since joining, I've seen so many lovely fine-haired people with very long hair and it's given me the confidence to grow mine out.

I still have a long way to go to have hair as long as yours, but I just saw your photo of your hair loose, and it's beautiful! It really is.

I hope that you can look at that photo as though it were someone else's here on LHC and see just how lovely your hair is. If you could do that you'd definitely get more confidence! :flowers:

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I feel very similar to you. I mostly just hide my hair because i think if it's seen down then it just looks a bit shameful mostly.

My way of dealing with it is to just hope that by taking care of it then it will grow back nice like it used to be so i focus on that rather than on hating my hair.

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I would grow my hair long and then get frustrated my hair wasn't gorgeous and shiny, or my waves would make me feel ugly. Then I came to LHC just slightly past shoulder length. My hair has improved tons and has grown quite fast. Right now I am brushing BSl with 1/2" to go. I learned to stop blowfrying, stop straightening ,and stop brushing. I use a yak bone comb and the rare time I do use a brush besides my BBB I feel yanking and snapping.

TammySue
April 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Your hair is beautiful, truly it is. I know what you mean about seeing hair to die for. I feel like that too, but I have come to accept that this is MY hair and I can't change the texture and other things, but I can work with it and do things that help to improve it.

Hope this helps a little bit!! :)

amaiaisabella
April 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
My hair is very fine and thin and breaks if I even LOOK at it. I would try to grow it out, but didn't have the patience after a few months (since it would grow barely an inch) and I would cut it. For the past 6 years I've had my hair touching my shoulders or above.

Right now it's a bit past my shoulders (still very short), but it's the longest I've had it since I was 16. I'm still not happy with it because it is so damaged (my own fault!) but I am slowly babying it to full health and growth.

squiggyflop
April 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
How many of you ,before having beautiful hair, had no confidence to keep it open even after a head bath? Who all tried their best to hide their hair?
I still belong to this category (though I've improved and leave it open for a very short while). What you guys are seeing now is the hair which has improved a great deal only because of LHC. Otherwise I had hair which would always be a cause of worry to me.And it was no help to be surrounded by people with hair to die for.
i cant quite understand what you are asking.. keep what open? whats a head bath? perhaps i just read it wrong... i did hide my hair under hats quite often if it was dirty and when i had a terrible haircut...

dreamingscribe
April 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Keeping it open means wearing it down or loose, and I would assume head bath means shampooing the scalp.

Aisha25
April 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Ya that is what it means to wash your hair and leave it open means not in braid or bun.I went through that for the first 6 months I started caring for my hair,but now I am so used to it I rarely ever wear it open.Only when it dries after headbath then into a braid it goes.

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sahiba, you have the perfect hair for you because God gave it to you just that way. Wear it open or tuck it away like a lovely secret, but be proud either way. It's lovely.

Blueglass
April 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
In real life, as I've gotten older, I've got lots of frizz, that is crazy, curly, hairs. It's very upsetting. I wish my mom would let me wear my hair down but she hates it down. I think the crazy curls show less when it's free flowing.
I think you need more shine though. Cassia, indigo, henna, hibiscus? Deep conditioning. I feel like your hair should be less mat, maybe thats your concern. Once you do that, I don't see any problems.

Anje
April 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I never really tried to hide my hair, and even when I didn't know much about caring for it, I didn't abuse it badly. (Daily S&C and rough brushing, yes, bleach and heat styling, no.) What LHC has done is taught me to love and enjoy my hair, instead of always wishing I could trade with someone else because mine wouldn't behave properly. I've learned to accept my hair type and to baby my hair here.

young&reckless
April 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I was a cubby little girl with a bowl hair cut.

Ashamed of my hair untill I was 20.

I hope you can come to love your hair they way I love mine now. Like a quirky pet that lives on my head, not always good or behaved but always loved and cared for.

girlcat36
April 10th, 2008, 10:42 AM
My hair sucks. Grrrrr.......LOL The only reason I am growing it long is because it looks even more stupid short.
I hid my hair in messy scrunchie buns for years and years. I had cancer treatment last year that caused the bottom half of my hair to fall out at the back of my head, so no more buns!! It just looks stupid up. I am so irritated by the fact that the newly growing under-layer is not long enough to go in an updo. My hair is always 'open' to cover the growing in layer. I have a few more inches to go and then my bad hair will be banished to updos. No more worry about frizz, yuckiness, etc......

AJoifulNoise
April 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I was never really ashamed of my hair until I saw the pictures several months down the line. Then I would cringe.

Now-a-days there are digital cameras so I get to see what it looks like right now... Which has it's ups and downs. But, I'm still not ashamed of my hair. It is what I always imagined it would be.

Your hair is absolutely beautiful, by the way.

girlcat36
April 10th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I was never really ashamed of my hair until I saw the pictures several months down the line. Then I would cringe.

Now-a-days there are digital cameras so I get to see what it looks like right now... Which has it's ups and downs. But, I'm still not ashamed of my hair. It is what I always imagined it would be.

Your hair is absolutely beautiful, by the way.

AJoifulNoise--Cringe??? Your hair is PERFECT!
Okay I am meditating now..........'I love my hair, I love my hair......'

AJoifulNoise
April 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
AJoifulNoise--Cringe??? Your hair is PERFECT!
Okay I am meditating now..........'I love my hair, I love my hair......'

Sure, it's pretty good now... I'm talking all the cuts I had when I was younger (like, up until about 2.5 years ago).

DiyaC
April 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I still don't have the confidence to leave my hair untied. I feel that my hair looks ugly and lacks thickness. I have this friend who has absolutely beautiful, long, thick, shiny hair and she keeps talking about how great her hair is, and whenever I look at my hair in the mirror, I can't help thinking about her lovely hair, and I always end up tying mine up with a scrunchie or pinning it back with a claw clip to hide it. Maybe once my hair grows a little more in length, I'd feel better leaving it untied.*sigh*

Curlsgirl
April 13th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Sahiba, you have the perfect hair for you because God gave it to you just that way. Wear it open or tuck it away like a lovely secret, but be proud either way. It's lovely.

Very beautifully said! :)

Moezland
April 14th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Wow!! What a sweet thing to say!! Sahida, I agree with Spidermom completely - and you do have very lovely hair:flower:.

tiny_teesha
April 14th, 2008, 01:06 AM
well, lol.....a touchy subject for me. At first i let my hair out because i was proud of it's length and condition (even though i shed like a cat everywhere)
Then after damaging it i left it loose just to hide my face.
Then i put it up for a month, and when i went to let it down after the challenge i was then ashamed of my hair! So i figure if i tie it up until i'm proud of it and then let it loose rarely- i will get hair compliments again.
I've let it out about 4 times in public since.
Didn't get compliments....up it goes! I do miss it loose though. I feel i'm putting a heck of traction on my scalp so i have to try to rememeber to wear loose do's

so basically. I wasn't ashamed of my hair before but NOW i am getting the lack of confidence because i've ruined it and it doesn't take a few months to make it better, i have to grow out a new head of hair :(