PDA

View Full Version : Help! questions on shampoo

iceyblue
June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have fine , thick hair with an oily scalp. Decided to use organic stuff awhile ago, tried CV shampoo bars first with ACV rinse. It didnt clean my hair well enough, within a few hours my hair is oily.

So i tried Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo, still my hair became oily after a few hours and my mom my hair had this "oily" smell.. My hair also became very dry and rough

Now im using a shampoo with sodium laureth sulphate.
any suggestions to make my hair better without those nasty chemicals? thanks alot (:

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Did you lather more than once with the Chagrin Valley bars and try them for a few weeks? That's often the problem. I suggest Burt's Bees in Super Shiny for hair that isn't dry.

iceyblue
June 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Fractalsofhair : yea i did , my scalp was getting too oily i was worried about getting lice on my hair lol. Thats why i stopped the bars. thanks! (:

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Lice actually like to stick to clean hair, BTW. If you have greasy hair, it's very unlikely you'll get lice. (If there's a lice outbreak at your school, it's advisable to oil your hair heavily and put it up, preferably with a thick oil like olive so the lice suffocate.) Whole foods 365 brand is a decent brand, but it does use SLS. It's fragrance and paraben free, and pretty good with ingredients. John Master's Organics is also natural, but very pricey and I've never tried it!

iceyblue
June 22nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
oh.. i thought its attracted to oily hair so didn't dare to continue with the CV bars.. was at quite a loss as my hair was very oily, didn't know what to do with it. John master's organics is very pricey indeed ... I can't get whole foods 365 brand in my country :O

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Did you clarify before using the shampoo bars? Cones can build up and lead to an odd appearance if you went from conventional to soap based. Also, you might have been using too strong a vinegar rinse or the wrong Chagrin Valley bar. Doc Bronners are also more drying to hair and could help. Burts bees is fairly natural as well and is great for hair that may be on the oily side.

iceyblue
June 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM
what does it mean by clarify before using shampoo bars?thanks!

iceyblue
June 22nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
oh and im also having an itchy scalp, quite problematic i feel, to choose a shampoo. advice appreciated! thanks!!

NamedForTheMoon
June 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Try Millcreek Naturals shampoo. I use their Jojoba shampoo and conditioner, and I love them. They make my hair soft and shiny, and I usually have a pretty greasy scalp. You can probably find them at a natural health food store, that's where I found mine. :) They have no SLS or parabens, and aren't tested on animals.

Here's a link if you're curious:

http://www.millcreekusa.com/products/hair.html

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Namedforthemoon : Wow thanks! hope i can find it in singapore :D

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
oh, does it contain cones btw? thanks!

NamedForTheMoon
June 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nope, it doesn't contain any cones. And I think you can order it from the website, if you can't find it where you live. :)

Fractalsofhair
June 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Clarifying is when you use an SLS shampoo that doesn't contain cones for a wash or two before going totally cone free. This can be really important with shampoo bars! Most natural detergents will do a good job at getting rid of cones in your hair, but a shampoo bar will take much longer.

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Namedforthemoon : hello, thanks so much, i got the jojoba conditioner already, found it in one of a health food store here (:
didnt get the shampoo as it is out of stock, but read that it contains sodium myreth sulfate,
is it okay to use or is it better to use one that is all sulfate free? thanks!

Fractalsofhair : Hello! no wonder, i didnt clarify when i used shampoo bars, i just switched completely. will one without cones but with Ammonium laureth sulfate work? thanks!

NamedForTheMoon
June 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
SMS is still a detergent, it's just a gentler detergent than SLS. SMS is more like what you find in baby shampoo. When I use the Milllcreek Naturals, it barely lathers up on my hair, just enough to get it clean. But I don't have that "stripped hair" feeling afterwards. It's up to you if you want to use the shampoo or not. If you want to go truly herbal, you could try making your own soapnut shampoo.

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Namedforthemoon : think i'll try it when there is stock for the shampoo. think i'll need some detergent to clean my oily scalp, good to know that it is gentler. thanks!