PDA

View Full Version : Hair Products/shedding????

mightymustang
June 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I started using Burt's Bee's volumizing shampoo/conditioner and I must comb out my hair after shampooing/conditioning or it would be a mess. Anyway, when combing my hair (after washing it) there's more hair that comes out on my comb than when I used other products in the past. Should I stop using these products even though they are suppose to be better for my hair and go back to sulfates/cones? Is it normal to shed like this with organic based products???I'm confused:poot:

Please help, Susan

Madame J
June 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
There's a big leap between "I don't like Burt's Bees" and "I can't use any sulfate-free, 'cone-free products." If you don't like the Burt's Bees shampoo, that's fine, but maybe try a different formulation (they make a bunch of different kinds for different hair types) or try another natural shampoo brand before you decide you can't use any natural products.

I used various Burt's Bees shampoos and conditioners in the past and never noticed more shedding than normal.

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Burt's Bees is quite drying to my hair. You can use SLS shampoos that are somewhat more natural(Whole Foods 365 brand comes to mind). I only ever used the super shiny. I like using Alaffia, it's very moisturizing and soap based. I suggest giving the Burt's Bees a 2 week transition time since you could be going thru a shed, and cones can hide damage and prevent or cause shedding, and if your shedding hasn't lightened at all by then, I suggest going back to first a gentle non shampoo with a heavy cone free conditioner, and then SLS shampoo with cone free conditioner, and then finally your old products. It's probably just your conditioner isn't rich enough to deal with possibly dry hair from cones(What can happen if you don't clarify) or it might just not be enough for your hair. I love Alaffia for my very dry hair, but Whole Foods 365 brand is good for most people. You don't have to use the same brand of shampoo and the same brand of conditioner! Some people have hair that does well with cones and SLS. If you use cones, what is best is to clarify and use a deep cone free treatment once a month or so, and then go back to using cones. For me, cones horribly dry out my hair, along with many other people. However, for some people they seal in moisture and give hair a wonderful shine!