PDA

View Full Version : Layers; hatred for.

Freija
June 22nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Please - do any of you have advice on dealing with/growing out layers?

I haven't been able to put my hair up in anything other than a ponytail - and even that is ineffectual - since I started growing my hair a year ago. As a result, my ends (which are now past APL while the shortest of my layers is still at the bottom of my neck) just keep getting damaged, trim after trim - I wear my hair loose on a daily basis because I just can't get anything to stay. If anybody can speak from experience, would it be better if I just gave up and cut back to the length of my shortest layers, so that at least my hair would grow at one length, ends intact?

Or are there some other styles I could try, perhaps? Bearing in mind I can't quite get all my hair into one ponytail!

AmyJorgensen
June 22nd, 2009, 02:18 PM
How about a headband or scarf for when you feel the need to contain it.

Freija
June 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I could, but wouldn't that still leave the ends loose? Or - how would you tie it? :)

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Lol, I misread this. I thought it said Lawyers; hatred for. I was ready for some good jokes.

kdaniels8811
June 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
If you cut it, you have that much longer to wait to get it long. Just let it grow and I agree with the scarf idea, it would look cute to have your hair tucked underneath one.

karli
June 22nd, 2009, 02:38 PM
When my hair is at apl, it looks good with layers; without them it`s mostly a big poof. Now my ends starts to look thin, so of course I want to get rid of the layers eventually, but Im going to wait until waist. I think that a thick hemline makes buns harder to do. At least without a lot of length..

For me, the trick is to find the right spot on my head, where I can hide most of the layers under the bun. My layers are almost apl now and they`re quite easy to hide in a high bun.
I do avoid braids at daytime though.

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I suggest bobby pins/ clips for your shortest layers, and a scrunchie for the hair that will fit. I have breakage that gives me "natural layers" or a natural 1/2 mullet! XD And that's what works for me, but I still have a ton of breakage.

Carolyn
June 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
When I was growing out layers I did a Peacock Twist with a claw clip and I used "banana" type combs to keep my hair back. The ends would still be somewhat loose but at least it would be a different hairstyle. When I was at your length with layers I trimmed an inch about every 2 months. I didn't gain length on the longest layers but my goal was to get my shorter layers longer.

feralnature
June 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Are you saying that you are trying to grow out your layers but that they "keep getting damaged trim after trim"?

I suggest just biting the bullet and stop trimming them, then they will grow out faster. I used headbands, lots of cute little clips, scarves, bandanas, pigtails, anything I could think of. I got through it, now my layers are finally long. I've not trimmed in 19 months.

Akiko
June 22nd, 2009, 02:52 PM
When I was growing out layers I did a Peacock Twist with a claw clip

I did the same as Carolyn... I know it's so frustrating to grow out of layers.
Maybe you can make a ponytail and use small claw clips on both sides to secure short layers?

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Hmm not much advie but are you short layers long enough to pull up with a clip like a half up? The you could do what you like with the rest maybe a pony or whatever else will hold?

Freija
June 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I might try a peacock twist - could somebody please link me to/type out some instructions? Headcoverings sound interesting, too - though perhaps a bit hot for the summer!

I'm still wondering about cutting, though... I mean, the reason I'm considering it at all is that, at the moment, I'm focussing on the shorter areas so the ends just feel as though they're in the way - and they keep getting damaged, too. Besides, as with Carolyn, I want to cut them off eventually when I even up the length... There's enough of me that is attatched to all and any growth to leave me unsure, though!

Feralnature - sorry, no. I meant that I'm trying to grow out all my hair, but that every time I have my ends trimmed, I can't seem to go more than three weeks without them getting damaged again. This is because I can't wear my hair up - my ends are long enough to need it, in order to protect them, but my shorter layers are too short to allow it, and have been for a year. When I cut, I don't take much, if anything, from my layers.

Natalia - how do you mean, sorry? I'm not sure I follow...

desertgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Here are some ways that you can where a head scarf. The first two links have an African or African-American style to them, the last one is more general I guess. I like the low bun wrap myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORRQ0vVYZs

http://www.africaimports.com/article49head.asp

http://www.splendicity.com/articles/how-to-wear-a-summer-headscarf/

Bunnyhare
June 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Are you saying that you are trying to grow out your layers but that they "keep getting damaged trim after trim"?

I suggest just biting the bullet and stop trimming them, then they will grow out faster. I used headbands, lots of cute little clips, scarves, bandanas, pigtails, anything I could think of. I got through it, now my layers are finally long. I've not trimmed in 19 months.
My layer drove me nuts too, LOTS of clips and bobby pins and scarves and patience...the hardest part.. I still have layers but I can finally get them into a tight single french braid..they still poke out down the length. Since joining LHC i decided to grow to at least hip before i start trying to trim themout...I don't want to lose length. So hang in there and don't cut!!:)

Deborah
June 22nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
If it were me, I'd cut off the layers so that I could begin with some sort of nice, even bob. Then the hair could grow out without ugly damaged hair ruining the look. Sort of a quality over length approach. :)

jera
June 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Please - do any of you have advice on dealing with/growing out layers?

I haven't been able to put my hair up in anything other than a ponytail - and even that is ineffectual - since I started growing my hair a year ago. As a result, my ends (which are now past APL while the shortest of my layers is still at the bottom of my neck) just keep getting damaged, trim after trim - I wear my hair loose on a daily basis because I just can't get anything to stay. If anybody can speak from experience, would it be better if I just gave up and cut back to the length of my shortest layers, so that at least my hair would grow at one length, ends intact?

Or are there some other styles I could try, perhaps? Bearing in mind I can't quite get all my hair into one ponytail!

Once when I was growing out a layer cut, I had to put my hair up in a Gibson. I don't know if your hair is long enough or thick enough for that though. :o

If not, maybe a fashionable scarf, as the others have suggested, might help. So would oiling your damaged ends.

jojo
June 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mine are all grown out now, but what worked for me was just having the length trimmed and leaveing the layers well alone. They are a pain to grow out for sure, just use a weekly deep conditioner to keep then healthy, they will grow out eventually but it is a long slog im afraid, not a lot you can do apart from sit back and wait I am afraid.

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
I don't know that I have much advice, but I do feel your pain. I have a love/hate relationship with my layers. Generally because my hair is so thick and wild, I look better with some layers. For a while, at shorter lengths, I really hated them, but once I got to APL I started to like them better. I still want to gradually do away them, though.

My plan is to start evening them up with slight trims once I'm a bit closer to my goal length (waist). That probably doesn't really help you since you want a more immediate solution, so I guess my "advice" is to just hang in there! You may decide the layers are easier to live with as your hair gets longer like I did. I just wouldn't suggest a big chop--it could feel traumatic and make you feel like you are back to square one.

One thing I do sometimes is a sort of half-up by pinning up my shorter ends with small clips while securing the long ends in a twist with a larger Ficcare or claw clip. That way I don't have a lot of short pieces spilling out and driving me nuts but my longer ends are protected.

GlennaGirl
June 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Can you love them while you're growing them out?

Can you think of them as fun and wild and romantic?

I love my layers. But I know I'm sort of the exception in that regard. "Having" to pin them back here and there for a ponytail adds to the charming look. They make me feel a bit untamed and free. :)

Spike
June 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I feel your pain.

I've been doing multiple buns down my head--shortest layers in a little cinnabun near the corwn, middle third or so in a cinnabun just below that, bottom third in a cinnabun at the nape.

Bonus--this looks like a really complex bun to a casual glance.

For the gym, it's a tiered topsy tail. Upper layer secured with an elastic, part it halfway and flip the pony through from top to bottom. Gather the pony from the top with the middle layer of hair, topsy that, and then finish off the tail by securing the bottom in a simple pony. You have three elastics holding hair at various heights, so everything stays put.

Looks like a french braid, but takes lots less time and stays put--my hair slithers out of a french braid at this length, no matter how small I make the sections.

Good luck and happy growing!

bigdreamer
June 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I just cut the same bottom layer off on Friday, chopped off 2", now all layers are gone - and I'm thrilled to death. I thought really hard about my long hair goal before I did it, and realized I had other goals that were getting buried by that raggy looking hemline.

The first was that I'm trying to go completely heat-style free for the sake of convenience and health of any future long hair I may have, and that one long scraggly bottom layer simply looked awful without heat-styling. So as much as I wanted my hair to look "long" it just looked bad to me because I kept heat-styling it to make it look decent, and so that goal being blocked was annoying me. Also I was just getting tired of looking like I have "project" hair. Now I really feel much better about my long-hair goals, and all the great advice in here has me excited about what's now coming OUT of my head rather than the ends. Still have 1+, 2+ years however more for long hair but I DO want to look good on my journey!

I just changed the was I looked at things :) Maybe you'll figure something out that will help you decide what to do...good luck

demitasse
June 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
Just make sure that if you're going layer-free with shortish thick hair that you don't end up with the Dreaded Triangle of Doom. People with thick, textured (curly, wurly, or wavy) hair can end up with an unfortunate triangle shape.

Personally, I wear my hair in long layers until I get to waist length, then let them grow out. By that time my hair is heavy enough so that it doesn't hang in a triangle shape.

If you've had your hair this length before in a blunt cut and don't mind the extra growing time, go for it. :)

thankyousir74
June 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I used to french braid to keep the hair out of my face. If there's still some bits, I'd use little clips or something.

Addy
June 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Personally, if you don't like the layers, cut. them. off. and start over with a nice blunt hemline. That's what I did. :cool:

I had a horrible time with the layers a stylist cut into my hair in Aug 07'. It took me a good 8 months of growing them out before I cut the layers off at shoulder length. I'm a year into it and I love my layer free hair!

If it were my hair, I'd cut them off. :D

Good luck with your decision. It's hard to lose that bit of length but worth it in the end!

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Natalia - how do you mean, sorry? I'm not sure I follow...

Now worries :). I meant that maybe if you have enough hair you can pull the short bits up like a half up (where you take the top peices of hair, separate them from the rest, and clip them together) and put the rest in a bun if you have enough hair or a pony.

Usually a nice mini claw clip, barret, or if you have enough hair a mini flexi-8 can hold the top section so it doesnt fall down in you face.

wackyredtangles
June 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
The last time I chopped off all my hair, 3 years ago, and immediately hated it I used cloth headbands to hold the front part back, and french braided the rest. If you did two, one on each side of your head it might be more manageable. Using clippies and doing twisties for the front part could be good too.

Speckla
June 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
I did twist/crownrolls and secure them with mini jawclips. I still have shorter bangs but I pull them back with bobbypins. My sides are a bit shorter but my hair is really curly so it blends in better - but I do sometimes pull the sides up and secure with hair combs.

Nocturnal
June 23rd, 2009, 12:26 AM
French braids. French aka side twist.

You could also try Gibson tuck.

Basically, anything that would keep ends inside the do will do.

Monsterkitti
June 23rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I wore my hair in a french twist or peacock twist with a hairband or clips holding my layers back while I was growing my chin length layers out. Now at APL they'll go back in an updo so are way less annoying :)

paper
June 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
When I was growing out layers, I wore a headband alot. And, kept trimming the back off a little at a time.

Akiko
June 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I think I might try a peacock twist - could somebody please link me to/type out some instructions? Headcoverings sound interesting, too - though perhaps a bit hot for the summer!

Ficcare peacock twist video (Top left)
(http://www.ficcare.com/videos.aspx)

Flexi 8 tails up (same as peacock twist)

(http://www.flexi8.com/instructions.html)HairZing Peacock twist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmX88wOShQM)

Since several people suggested, here is gibson tuck instruction (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49).

Fethenwen
June 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
I'm having the same problem. My layers are starting to look ratty, but cutting them would mean not getting rid of them :wail:
I could consider having a few very long layers when my hair gets longer. But layers short as to my chin - yuck!

So I braid them, and also I twist the front layers and attach them in the back. That way they don't look ratty and are out of my way.