PDA

View Full Version : Itchies/scabby patches in the summertime

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
Hello all. This is mildly gross, but this has happened to me a couple of times recently, so I thought I'd consult the LHC braintrust. I've noticed that on a couple of occasions my scalp has gotten super itchy in localized areas of my scalp, mostly the back of my head. Of course, because I can't leave well enough alone, I scratch, which leaves me with some small scabby patches. They usually heal really fast and go away, but I'd rather not have them in the first place. I had an itchy flair yesterday right after a wash--this was the first time it happened right after washing, so I really don't think it's my shampoo. It stopped itching fairly quickly, but not before I'd scratched a fair bit. I live in a hot, humid climate, so I'm wondering if it's the heat more than anything else. I've given myself a scalp massage with jojoba oil and tea tree EO when I've had an itchy scalp before than that seemed to fix the problem. Does anyone experience this sort of thing in the heat of summer? If so, what do you do if anything? Thanks!

Knittergirl
June 22nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
I've had something similar happen to me several times, it is usually when I haven't washed my hair in awhile and it is all sweaty.

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
I got like that before i figured out i couldnt use SLS anymore. Are you using SLS per chance? My skin actually felt pretty good after a wash maybe just the water over it was soothing but by the time it was about half dry (4 or 5 hours later) the itch would start. That lasted for months gradually getting worse. I tried TTO, coconut oil, rubbed cortizone around my hairline, almost bought an anti itch lotion but instead decided to try a gentler shampoo which happneed to be SLS/SLES free. One wash with that and i felt 70% better! Two more washes and the itch was gone :). Im still healing up two or three little scabs from itching the bumps and other areas but no more oozy ones or big scabs along my forehead or neck.

I dont know if thats whats causing your peoblems but when it was me i wish someone had told me a whole lot sooner. Good luck!

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well I tend to get cracks in my scalp from dry skin there in the winter, so I might not be much help, but I find hot oil treatments help a ton!

jera
June 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
I've had something similar happen to me several times, it is usually when I haven't washed my hair in awhile and it is all sweaty.

I used to get things like that too. Stress, not shampooing if you need to, and poor diet were the culprits in my case though. Neem oil is very good for stubborn scabbies. In summer I do wash my hair with mild sls free shampoo if I can rake guck off my scalp with my fingernails.

You don't want to get scabs - ever. They can damage your follicles. :( So, it's best to stop them before you get them. :poot:

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
I use a Lush shampoo bar (New! to be exact), which contains sodium coco sulfate. Not SLS, but a naturally derived form of it. That's always concerned me a bit but I usually have had great luck with it. Much better than the SLS shampoos I've used in the past. I swear, the New! bar made my hair grow--the cinnamon leaf oil is an anti-fungal so if my scalp was even slightly fungal-y it probably cleared that up and let it grow better! I can see why everyone would ask about SLS though--I've been much happier without it.

I wonder about the sodium coco sulfate though. I've been using the Lush bars for a long time now and never had a problem. That doesn't mean one couldn't develop, but as far as I know that particular ingredient is milder than SLS. Does anyone else have experience with products containing sodium coco sulfate? Is it just as bad as SLS or is it generally okay? I'd be pretty bummed if I had to give up Lush--I LOVE the New! bar.

I hadn't thought of trying Neem oil--that is definitely worth looking into.

Charlotte
June 22nd, 2009, 04:04 PM
Hello Zen Oven, I don't want to panick you but I think a visit to the doctor is in order for peace of mind. I saw a medical show on TV once and the young woman had a bacterial infection which caused her intense itching with subsequent scabbing. She also had yucky yellowish goo oozing from the continual scratching... They sent of a sample to the lab and it was easily treated with antibiotics - problem gone! :)

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Hello Zen Oven, I don't want to panick you but I think a visit to the doctor is in order for peace of mind. I saw a medical show on TV once and the young woman had a bacterial infection which caused her intense itching with subsequent scabbing. She also had yucky yellowish goo oozing from the continual scratching... They sent of a sample to the lab and it was easily treated with antibiotics - problem gone! :)

Oh no, you haven't panicked me! I've probably made it sound a bit worse than it actually is though. The itching subsides really fast, and I haven't seen any yellowish goo. If it gets worse or keeps happening repeatedly, I will see a dermatologist though.