PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and Tangles

Knittergirl
June 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Ok, so my problem is whenever I swim, the top of my hair gets REALLY tangled. I usually braid it before I swim, but no matter what style I wear, the top still gets so tangled. I don't have a swim cap. What I tried last time was to wet my hair, and put a bunch of comditioner in, and leave it. Then braid. It worked ok at first, but then it all washed out and was as tangled as ever. What do you recommend?:confused:

Madame J
June 22nd, 2009, 12:21 PM
Don't put conditioner on your hair before you swim because it's bad for the pool. I would suggest a French braid (gets more hair in it), and get a silicone swim cap. Then you can try soaking your hair in conditioner to detangle it after you swim.

I find that teasing the tangles out from the ends with a wide toothed comb under cold running water works fine for me, but I have very straight hair. Also, standing under cold running water for as long as it takes to detangle my hair gently is not fun.

Knittergirl
June 22nd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I swim in the lake, so ruining the pool is not a concern. The lake is gross already:) Thanks for the advice.

Heidi_234
June 22nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I second the swim cap suggestion. I know how unflattering it may feel, but better be not attractive for 1 hour at the pool than 24/7 when the chlorine gets your hair finally. It will also keep your hair contained, and thus not tangling while you swim.

ETA: Oh, you swim in the lake. Must be awesome!

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
When I swim I braid and then when I'm through I rinse the chlorine or lake water out very well, heap conditioner on it and comb while it's on there very gently. That's the only way I can get the tangles out without breaking my hair off. If that's not enough you can also use coconut oil, then CO again to get it all out.

rovylern
June 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
I'll add another voice to the chorus singing the praises of using a French or Dutch braid (or two) topped with a swim cap. That's what I do with my long-haired kiddo, she swims at least twice a week in chlorine during the summer and it always helps a lot.

Quixii
June 22nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
When I swim, I put it in a regular ponytail, and then braid it from the ponytail. I always feel like it's more secure that way, and that the shorter ends from the top of my head are less likely to fall out and get tangled.

florenonite
June 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
I swim in the lake, so ruining the pool is not a concern. The lake is gross already:) Thanks for the advice.

You put conditioner on your hair than swim in a lake?! :bigeyes: DON'T do this! Seriously, conditioner (and other personal hygiene products), even biodegradable stuff, should never, ever, ever be put in a lake, even if the lake is "gross" already. It's really bad for the environment.

For the tangles, I French braid my hair or put it in a ponytail before I go swimming, then take it out before getting out of the water (particularly if I'm swimming in a lake, as I don't wash my hair after) and dunk my head under to smooth my hair out, and it generally remains without tangles this way; I barely need to finger-comb after it's dried.

CherrySilver
June 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I used to have the same problems with my hair tangling when I wore it in a braid. Wearing a cap always felt uncomfortable, too.

Now I just put my hair up in a bun on the very top of my head. Because it's tightly coiled, I don't get any tangles. I'm swimming a modified breast stroke without putting my head under the water -- not as easy as it sounds when you're doing 1000+ yards. My hair stays completely dry, but I've developed great muscle tone on my shoulders and back from swimming this way.