PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair when I was Little

SupermanSeven
June 22nd, 2009, 09:54 AM
Hello everyone,

When I was younger I always wanted to have really long hair. Being a guy I was always taught long hair was for girls. My favorite book was the "The Hair Book" By Dr. Seuss when I was young. It showed me all the cool things you could do with long hair. When my Mom said it was time for a haircut, I asked if it would be alright to have long hair? She said as long as I keep it clean. My hair kept getting in my face during the awkward stage, and was not long enough for a ponytail yet. I wanted to let it grow and grow. After about a year, I was able to get my hair into a ponytail, I was so proud. It got down to about the middle of my back. My mom would sometimes braid it for me. It felt so great. I'm ashamed to say my parents enrolled me into private school and I had to cut it. I was very sad. I now plan on growing it out as long as it will grow, hopefully past classic. I was wondering how the girls feel about guys with really long hair, and how the guys feel about having long hair? I love hearing success stories about how people have reached their hair goals, and I hope to reach mine one day. Look forward to hearing everyone's responses.

Deimos
June 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
I hope you succeed in your goal! I have not yet reached mine, but I'm working on it ^^
I like long hair on both men and women as long as it looks healthy and clean.

longhairedfairy
June 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
What Deimos said. :)

SupermanSeven
June 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Thank you Deimos and LongHairedFairy

rockkcor
June 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Aha, the same story - same question again! :D
I guess that we men with long hair had bit more to deal with than the ladies... I mean the society was never liberal enough, we were brought up with certain norms, and so on and so forth...
I am glad that it is changing trough time...
The other thing is - some ladies are absolutely crazy about men with long hair - I know it from my own experience... I personally feel the same about ladies with very long hair and I do understand how attractive long hair might be (for both sexes)...
On the other hand many ladies are not attracted at all - even the opposite (really disgusted)!
Frankly - better to be a men with very long hair as it is a very rare thing in this world...

Katze
June 22nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
I think it is cool when guys have long hair because they want to. My partner is long haired though we just had to do a major trim; he says he is a long hair on principle - a clear signal to the world that he thinks differently.

Welcome here, hope you enjoy it and can grow as long as you want!

PS here in Germany many boys - of all ages - have long hair.

Paper Moon
June 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
I think it's definitely a cool thing when people want to be more unique, and these days I think long hair on males tends to stand out! I say go for it, especially if you feel good about it. You'll have girls complimenting your nice hair in no time. ;)

Also I love that you have a picture of Jecht for your avatar!

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Good luck! My boyfriend also has long hair(It's curly so it's probably waist or so but is only at his shoulders/a little bit below. To be honest, I'm not sure, since it's also frizzy and dry! XD). Some girls will freak out about it and not like it, but there are many who either don't mind long hair or find it cute! In my family,a lot of guys have longish hair. My brother had hair to his knees, which looked horrid. He was also balding and didn't really take care of his hair. A cousin of mine had decent looking hair, but he bleached it and well, he recently had to get a buzz cut. He apparently thought conditioner wasn't ever needed for longish hair that's been bleached! XD If you start to go bald, very very long hair might not be the best look, but you don't need to get really short hair either. There was a guy in my high school who almost never washed his hair and simply grew it out from a regular guy cut. WO is a perfectly valid method of cleaning, same with SO(No washing, just with water for WO, and SO is no water, but brushing etc), but this guy simply wasn't too clean in general and his hair looked bad. And smelled rather noticeably as well... Those are the worst examples of long hair on guys that I can think of, which is saying quite a bit! There are lots of guys with long hair that looks great, and since guys tend not to color and heat style often compared to women, they often have healthier hair and that looks great! There's definitely a phase for straight haired guys that looks awkward and like you've forgotten to get a haircut if it's growing out from a normal guy style, and that will continue to look awkward if you grow out your hair with absolutely no cuts, but when you get to shoulder length or so, a trim to get it all one layer, IMO looks good. If you have a bit of a wave or curl, it's not needed so much.

liseling
June 22nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
I like long hair on guys as long as they keep it clean and de-matted. Usually that would go without saying but for some reason (unfortunately) the majority of the long-haired guys I've met in my life seem to have equated leaving their hair alone to grow with just leaving it, period. :disgust:

I think the reason I like seeing guys with long hair is because it implies that they must be a confident person in order to feel comfortable enough to flaunt the pretty widespread social convention of the "long hair = female/short hair = male" thing.

And confidence is attractive on everyone, gender aside. :happydance:

NickalNack
June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Aw, what nice parents. I was expecting your story to take a dark turn, saying your dad made fun of you, or that you parents made you cut it anyway, or something like that.

demitasse
June 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
My boyfriend (childhood sweetheart) has long hair too. Though we grew up on the same reservation and it's not uncommon for Native American boys to have long hair. I like his hair but wouldn't care if he buzzed it off. It's completely up to him.

I had long hair when I was a kid too, classic length. When I was in second grade, the boy who sat behind me chopped off one of my pigtails with a pair of those giant shears. All of my hair was cut into a pixieish thing that looked awful on my thick, thick wavy hair. I held onto that pigtail for literally years. It hung on my wall until my hair grew back.

The boy moved away at the end of that year but I ran into him last year—almost twenty years later. He apologized and said he had a crush on me when he did it. I thought it was kind of sweet but I was surprised he thought I'd still be mad.

Krystyle
June 22nd, 2009, 11:21 AM
I think long hair on a guy can be incredibly sexy as long as you don't fru-fru it up with girly hair toys. It's just another reason to touch you in my opinion. My husband touches my hair all the time so I try to make sure it's soft. He won't even consider growing his out though. <sigh> Good luck and just as it happened for you back then, I bet it can happen for you again.

Deborah
June 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM
I doubt that you want to face this, but MANY (probably most) girls and women dislike long hair on boys or men. To many people, including most other males, long hair on males is considered effeminate.

On this list many like long hair on men, but keep in mind that this is a long hair list. The general populace is not so keen on long hair, even on women, but particularly on boys and men.

Quixii
June 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
I love long hair on guys, as long as it's taken care of. There's this guy in my grade who keeps growing his his hair out to a bit past shoulder length, and then cutting it in the summer! I always pout at him when he cuts it. :o
I wish you luck in growing out your hair!

ReneeIstKrieg
June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
I love love love guys with really long hair, and a lot of my female friends do too. I don't think its as unpopular as you might think. My boyfriend used to have almost classic length hair and I thought it was so beautiful (its around apl now :( )

Gumball
June 22nd, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm a guy and my hair is a part of who I am. It was a bit of a ride when I was growing it out. I will admit I got some flak from some friends and family, but it's looong since subsided. I enjoy it and try to take care of it as best I can. My girlfriend, bubbleguppy (she's a member here), loves that I have long hair. She's growing hers out, too, so we're on that journey together now.

krissykins
June 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Long hair is definitely attractive in my eyes. I think that if you want long hair, then you should be able to have it.

(As a side note, my brother's hair is longer than mine and I'm fine with that... Most of the time)

Elistariel
June 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I like long hair on guys as long as they keep it clean and de-matted. Usually that would go without saying but for some reason (unfortunately) the majority of the long-haired guys I've met in my life seem to have equated leaving their hair alone to grow with just leaving it, period. :disgust:

I think the reason I like seeing guys with long hair is because it implies that they must be a confident person in order to feel comfortable enough to flaunt the pretty widespread social convention of the "long hair = female/short hair = male" thing.

And confidence is attractive on everyone, gender aside. :happydance:

This, exactly. If you're (anyone) going to have long hair, take care of it. Don't have long hair just to have long hair. Scraggly is not a good look.

Come to think of it, I can't really picture any... I guess "masculine" long hair styles. Just down and maybe that half ponytail Qui-Gon Jinn type thing. :confused:

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Elistariel- is scraggly short hair a good look! A buzz cut with different grades in places or something like that! XD

Alun
June 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
I doubt that you want to face this, but MANY (probably most) girls and women dislike long hair on boys or men. To many people, including most other males, long hair on males is considered effeminate.

On this list many like long hair on men, but keep in mind that this is a long hair list. The general populace is not so keen on long hair, even on women, but particularly on boys and men.

I don't think most people I meet even care how long my hair is, and some of them compliment me for it. I don't think that what you say is true, but even if it were, I wouldn't care anyway! Most people you meet care far more what you think of their own appearance than vicea versa.

Now, if you are talking about dating, I'm married and not looking, but I would still say that it's better to be yourself than conform to what you think others will like. In the long run, it's a lot easier that way.

maaria
June 23rd, 2009, 03:53 AM
Long hair on guys looks nice ;). Good Luck

3azza
June 23rd, 2009, 04:28 AM
Someone silly invented the rule: long hair for women and short for men. I had my hair shorter than my brother's but now i'm growing it long.
i totally admire beautiful hair despite its length or the person's gender.
it's cool how your mother supported you for growing it back then and helped you braid it.
i might grow my son's hair (if i ever have one and he likes it) because i think it's really cute...

brok3nwings
June 23rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
I have been atracted to long haired man since i was a child, always amazed me long hair so that how i feel about men with long hair.
I hope you follow your instints and grow your hair long as it seams to be something you have been thinking about for a long time.

Vivien'
June 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hi SupermanSeven. Being a young man with long hair, I must say that you may feel "alone" sometimes, unlike the others. But long hair on men can be really great, and you may appreciate the "trip".
Hope your hair will grow back :)

rags
June 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
Someone silly invented the rule: long hair for women and short for men. .

Jut FYI: for some people it's not silly, it's a religious teaching. Many conservative Christian sects teach women should have long hair and men short. I attended such a church for many years, and we do have many members here who share those beliefs. :flower:

JamieLeigh
June 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I think it's awesome for a guy to have long hair! As with anyone, regardless of gender, as long as the hair is well-taken-care-of, it always looks amazing! :)

I'm also on a mission, I'm curious to see how long mine will grow - yet I'm also trimming to keep it even. LOL, at this rate it will take me a long time, but I've always had it long so I'm used to it. Right now mine is at classic, and I'm loving it. :D

Kiraela
June 23rd, 2009, 01:38 PM
I definately like long hair on anybody as long as it is cared for. I have convinced my own DBF to grow his hair back out, because he missed his longer hair. Now that he's a few years older, it is growing in quite a bit straighter and he likes it much more, which makes me very happy!

EvaSimone
June 23rd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Do what you want their will always be people who won't like it. Some women love long hair on men some not so much. Same with how some men feel about women with long hair.

Just grow it for yourself and enjoy the ride!

enfys
June 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I like all or nothing. Buzzed or waist +. Either of those extremes I find very masculine. One for being a no-nonsense military style, the other for being warrior like.

Long hair doesn't have to be feminine.

Why did your school make you cut it? Is that allowed in dress codes where you are?

Das Siechtum
June 24th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I'm growing my hair since 2005 and I love the feeling of my hair on a windy day. :-)

PurpleAshes
June 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I reaally really like long hair on guys, always have. My DBF is growing his out. I even made him a progress album in my profile xD.

dontknowaname
June 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I really like having long hair, mostly it atracts negative comments but thats worth it for me :D
personally I don't really understand why some (read "alot of") people have problems with guys with long hair, but don't let it affect you in any way if you really like long hair :)

I wish you goodluck with growing :p

nowxisxforever
June 25th, 2009, 04:12 PM
If women can grow long hair, by God, so can men! My boyfriend has just-now-touching-Waist hair that's very unhealthy, but I prefer it over a short cut on him. There are also a lot of guys at work with very healthy long hair (Armpit/BSL/Waist/TB - there's a bunch of them! None with Classic yet though I don't think.) and some of them like me to braid it for them, hehe. I love long hair on everyone :]

drquartz1970
July 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Just do what you want to do - part of the maturation process is to be your own man, once you satisfy your identity needs then you will feel whole. If having long hair does this for you then go on the path less travelled - it's often a great trip in itself.

Well-kept hair looks great on either men or women, and having long hair can be a lot of fun too!

Growing hair long shouldn't have anything to do with rebellion - just a personal thing. No one questions women who have buzz cuts do they? So why the big deal to have long hair as a guy? People who are concerned with this are usually petty and shallow I find. And most of the compliments that I have had for hair come from women and a few of my male friends have said that they want to grow theirs out too!

I am finding out that having long hair is a good way to filter out the worthwhile people from the shallow ones who are brain-washed by what a guy is expected to look like. If someone is hung-up on your hair what does that tell you about them?

I personally am a lot more confident having long hair then I ever did with short hair. I feel a lot freer and less repressed, more complete and whole.