PDA

View Full Version : grow up and cut your hair comment

jojo
April 9th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hi everybody,
I went for a meal yesterday with my family and we bumped into this man who we vaguely know, enough to say hi to. This man comes talking to us, as we sat drinking our coffees and then out of the blue says ' anyway joanna when are you going to grow up and get that long hair cut?' I was chuffed about the long hair comment as its only APL! but how rude. I replied ' since when have you known me well enough to come out with such a personal comment? besides what i do with my hair is my buisness not yours' then he says to me no need to be so bloody rude!! how cheeky is that:mad:

Why dont people keep their opinions to their selfs, he was in his 60's so should know better, i tell you people call teenagers but ive met more rude older people, i was so angry how dare he?

Thanks for letting me vent, and if anything his comment has made me more determined to grow longer! x

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 11:42 PM
APL is a thing out of the ordinary these days? LOL, I missed that memo.

Maybe some day people will grow up enough to know better than to make random negative comments about others' personal physical appearances.

jojo
April 9th, 2008, 11:54 PM
APL is a thing out of the ordinary these days? LOL, I missed that memo.

Maybe some day people will grow up enough to know better than to make random negative comments about others' personal physical appearances.

exactly my sentiments, apl is still shortish, though all the woman round here sport short the 'oh my hair doubles for a brillo pad' style but WTF if hair was meant to be short it wouldn't grow-period! i should have said that to him, grow up!

Dianyla
April 9th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, I've gotten this one a few times. Mostly from family, and mostly because I've had long hair my whole life. Obviously, doing anything as an adult that I used to do as a child is an indicator of failure to mature. Whatever. :rolleyes:

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 12:07 AM
What a t***. I don't really get that many personal comments like that but that's probably because i'm known to be a bit mouthy ;)

Don't let him stress you though, as you said he's not someone close to you and if he tries it again you can just ask him when he's going to learn to shut his mouth up.

Your hair's looking lovely though, so just feel deservedly smug :flower:

Sillage
April 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
May I suggest this excellent primer (http://http://www.amazon.com/Snaps-Original-Mama-Joke-Book/dp/0688128963)?

Don't let the clowns get you down, Jojo. ;)

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks, im a placid person but i could have knocked him into next week for being so rude! where does all this you have to a certain age to have long hair come from? as long as its clean and healthy what is peoples problems.

I know i get the odd 'when are you cutting your hair comment' mainly from my mum, my dad fully supports me he cried when i got my hair cut short!

Yeah he was a ****, just wait until i got my xandergrammy killer braid, i will be armed and dangerous!

Lizbot
April 10th, 2008, 12:48 AM
That was so very rude of him. Perhaps it was one of those instances when someone thought they were being "cute".

You didn't knock him into next week, so well done! You have far more patience than I could have had in such a situation.

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 01:16 AM
i dont know, his tone was sarcastic and he has in the past been verbally offensive to other people. I guess some people are only happy being miserable! I think he needs to get a life, theres a world full of problems and he nit picks on somebodies hair, unbelievable!

Jeni
April 10th, 2008, 01:55 AM
I use to get those comments from my grandmother. I finally snapped when I was 18. She grabbed a hunk of my hair and held it up like it was something gross and said "When will you cut this thing?" (It was barely BSL) I snapped, slapped her hand away from my hair, informed her if she touched my hair again her hand would not be the only thing slapped and began a 20 min tirade about her bull s**t. (She is critical to everyone). She never said anything to me again about my hair. I firmly believe I could shave 1/2 my head bald and she would smile and say I looked lovely. The best part, when the rest of my family found out I was taken out to dinner and celebrated as the only person to stand up to her!

That being said, I can't imagine having someone I barely know say that to me! I would flip out that is for sure.

Jeni

Oh and it seem like APL is long. My hair is about your length and I always get the comments out how long my hair has gotten (?). Most girls at my school have shorter hair then I do. The ones that have longer hair usually have BSL, so not much longer. I did see a girl a few weeks about with classic length. I did a double take over that. It was pretty, and thinner then mine, which made me feel better knowing thin hair can look good long.

tiny_teesha
April 10th, 2008, 02:05 AM
i can't believe he said that, it made no sence what he said! I'm guessing a man of his age had little hair and if i had the guts i would have said
"What just because you can't grow hair i'm not allowed to?" Or somethign along those lines, i know an eye for an eye is nto good...
in reality i would have said, looking down and fidgeting "Well, i kinds like it better long, i'm trying to grow it out"....I'm weak!
I'm glad you stood up for yourself without being rude- despite what he thinks!

Merlin
April 10th, 2008, 02:38 AM
"When are you going to grow up and learn some manners?" springs readily to mind....

k_hepburn
April 10th, 2008, 03:00 AM
It seems he missed the memo that he is NOT the centre of the universe, and other people are not on this planet to decorate his world. No point arguing with him any further - if he doesn't get how offensive and ridiculously self-centred his comments are, you are not going to get him to see it, so don't waste your breath, just avoid him.

To this day it sticks in my memory how I was standing at a bus stop once and two old ladies started discussing loudly that "young people stink because they don't bathe regularly". Since I was old enough at the time (in my early twenties) and dressed in a business suit for the office I knew these comments weren't directed at me, but I was still young enough to be completely appalled at that kind of statement , as well as totally flabbergasted that anyone could come up with such a nonsense and consider themselves entitled announce it loudly to the world. But of course, there was absolutely no point arguing with these women :brickwall , it was obvious that pointing out their rudeness (not to mention stupidity) to them would not have achieved anything, though I was tempted to see how they would react if it was pointed out to them that daily showers were a habit that had become common (in Germany) only in my life time whereas my grandmother was and is still of the "bathing day once a week" school (without ever being smelly, I hasten to add :grin: ).

Greetings

katharine

paper
April 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM
How rude. The nerve of that guy.

Shanarana
April 10th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Actually you can turn it around and take it as a compliment as far as his acknowledgement that your hair is LONG!!!

EmeraldIona
April 10th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Dont listen to him. A man of his age should have known better, especially as he is merely an aquantance! Some people are soooo very rude.
I have encountered the same problem for around half my life. My hairdresser kept telling me that I needed my hair cut shorter everytime I went for a trim. She told me that (at 15 years old) I was far to old to have my hair longer than my chin, and should have it cut into a nice bob. Well, being an impressionable teenager I believed her. I kept my hair short for the next 16 years despite dearly wanting longer hair.
Last year I got married and you should have seen the styles that hairdresser suggested to me! They where hideous! I looked bald! So I ditched that hairdresser and decided to grow my locks. I got to shoulder length for my wedding and styled my own hair for the big day. I loved it and havent looked back since. Im not too old to have the hair I want, nor are you. Ladies on this board have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen. You can have that too, cos beautiful hair has nothing to do with age. Your hair is beautiful and very well cared for. I only hope I can have hair as nice as yours some day too :)

Gabrielle
April 10th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I think an important aspect of being grown up is not to make foolish, hurtful comments just for the sake of hearing yourself talk!

TammySue
April 10th, 2008, 04:33 AM
How rude!
One of our attorneys said to me one day "Don't you think you're too old for that long hair?"
I said "NO, look at Jane Seymour and Crystal Gayle."
"Yeah, but they are celebrities," he said.
I said "So what? So am I!" :D

sahiba
April 10th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Gosh!! That really was rude of him.

Lixie
April 10th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I like how he tells you not to be rude. He probably thought he was being funny. :rolleyes: Well done for standing up for yourself and managing to be polite at the same time! Your hair is beautiful, glad you can put his pathetic comment aside and keep growing. :D

Lamb
April 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM
we bumped into this man who we vaguely know, enough to say hi to.
Well, I guess now you know him well enough not to say anything else but "hi" to him.
HE is the one who should grow up. What kind of an immature, childish-aggressive person would say such a thing to a woman he barely knows???

FrannyG
April 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Yes, I've noticed that to men of that generation any woman above 30 "should" have shorter hair, and yes, APL is consider long by many people.

I agree that it was a personal comment and inappropriate, but just shrug it off. Look how easy that is. :shrug:

CitznMag
April 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Just curious, was the old fart (and I say this not because of his age, but attitude--my husband is 60 and no way an old fart ;) ) bald and perhaps jealous of your lovely mane?

Never ceases to amaze me the rudeness of some people, which is a good thing--we never want to become desensitized to rudeness.

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I really hate when people make rude comments. And the idea that womens' hair has to be short above a certain age...pfah! Just wait till my hair is long, thick, and wavy, and I look like a WITCH, bwahahaha!

That man is a moron, and I am sorry he hurt your feelings.

going off topic, slight hijack...

Last summer I was jogging with my Ipod on, when an old lady (with her dog) stopped me. She was gesticulating and staring at a "missing cat" poster. I politely stopped to see what was up, and she began a rant about how Asian people really steal pets so they can eat them. They drive around in vans, according to her, and snatch cats and dogs to serve in their restaurants. Oh, and they all come here and take our jobs, too. WTF?!?!? I thought this kind of racism went out ages ago...but apparently not, here (where I come from is over 50% Asian in parts, i grew up with Japanese, Chinese, Korean friends, so she struck me as particularly ignorant). Well, I responded by telling her that I'm a foreigner living here too, that I hate hearing racism or xenophobia here in the neighborhood where I live, that it's rude and unacceptable, put my headphones on, and jogged away. Later I realized it was indeed the bossy, bored old lady from across the street!

People of that generation are so quick to call younger people rude, but I always notice it is the 60+ people - especially the men - who are the rudest of the rude.

end hijack. ;)

Jason
April 10th, 2008, 08:04 AM
What a disgraceful display of impropriety! He made it even worse by not apologizing when you clearly let him know you were offended. It's nice that we have this haven here to escape from people like that.

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
With people inclined to give rude comments, if it's not one thing, it's another. I was once wearing an orange-red sweater - very vivid - and an elderly man in the grocery store told me I was "wearing that color wrong."

Say what?

khyricat
April 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM
heh- my mom and grandmother are the biggest critics and I have officially decided to stuff them when it comes to hair- according to them the fact that I have long hair is innapropriate because I am over 20.. I've given in and cut it a few times over the years, not directly to them, but I know I would have tried to find an alternative if it wasn't for their garbage.. now I stand up to them and point out that they complain when its short because its thin, and it takes LESS time and energy to care for it now.

atlantaz3
April 10th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Don't feel bad - the last time I saw my DAD he told me I was too old for all that hair. He even went so far as to ask if I was growing it down to my a$$? He's 81 - what can you do!
(Wonder what he will say when it is that long...):p

AJoifulNoise
April 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
You know what's funny, though? Honestly, from what I've observed, becoming an adult means you can do a lot of the stuff from your childhood that you weren't allowed to do... And no one can tell you not to (and if they do, you don't have to listen because you're an adult!). For example (kinda gross): If my stepmom is full, she'll continue to lick the flavor off of her favorite chips. And, she can do that because she bought the chips.

Some people just want to get old and cranky...

I present a comic to illustrate my point:

http://xkcd.com/150/

I know this is kinda off topic. But, I don't really understand the whole "grow up and straighten up" mentality. I still sit on the floor to put on my shoes and socks. I collect My Little Ponies. And, heaven forbid, I grow my hair long. And will continue to do so for as long as my hair will grow. :p

My suggestion is to completely ignore that person. You're the adult, you get to decide!

Kunzang
April 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Sigh...it's times that that when you need a good hair joke. My step-mother does it for me - whenever I see her, the first thing out of her mouth is always some comment about my hair. The last time she said I looked like a witch (I took it as a compliment). I've often wondered why long hair evokes such strong negative reactions in certain people. Jealousy? Are threatened about something? The ones that get me are the little children that come up to the store and ask my why my hair is so long. I tell them my name is Rapunzel.

jesamyn
April 10th, 2008, 09:49 AM
UGH. You are right, none of his business.

At the risk of being offensive to some on the boards, I have noticed that some people believe that being older DOES entitle them to make such comments. My father is one of those people. There are things he comments on now that he would never have done so when I was younger, and it applies to other people as well. I am appalled in general when people think they're entitled to say such things. I handle my father (and his wife also) by smiling and saying...nothing. They find it very disconcerting that I won't 'take the bait'.

Arashi
April 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think this man should grow up and and get out of other people's personal business. :rolleyes:

And who the heck decided that one must have a certain hair length for a certain age? I'd really like to meet them, and give them a good whack on the head. Long hair, on all ages, is not only beautiful but perfectly valid if the person who has the hair growing out of their head thinks so. Sheesh. :luke:

Lady Godiva
April 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
"You say that *I'm* rude? Guess you would know about that, wouldn't you?" :mad:

You never know. He may remember the altercation and henceforth might think twice about saying such things. :twocents:

Other nice comebacks:

" 'Grow up' you say? I think that at my age I am old enough to determine how I'm going to wear my hair."

"Huh, as if my hair affects you in any possible way."

"Not that I really care to know this, but why in the world do you care about my hair length, of all the ridiculous things for you to concern yourself with?!"

Elizabeth
April 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM
At the risk of being labeled a “crazy feminist”, I think long hair is identified with the Feminine (not the female sex exclusively, just the principle), and is therefore a threat to men who don’t like women, and women who are uncomfortable with being women.

My hair isn’t really long at the moment, it was longer last summer before I did a big cut to eliminate damage, but when it was I got some of the rudest comments from other women. Most of whom had VERY short hairstyles. Not my taste, but I would have never felt entitled to attack THEM.

Okay, end of rant. :)

Xandergrammy
April 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
just wait until i got my xandergrammy killer braid, i will be armed and dangerous!

That's the spirit!! :gabigrin:

prosperina
April 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
At the risk of being labeled a “crazy feminist”, I think long hair is identified with the Feminine (not the female sex exclusively, just the principle), and is therefore a threat to men who don’t like women, and women who are uncomfortable with being women.

My hair isn’t really long at the moment, it was longer last summer before I did a big cut to eliminate damage, but when it was I got some of the rudest comments from other women. Most of whom had VERY short hairstyles. Not my taste, but I would have never felt entitled to attack THEM.

Okay, end of rant. :)

Yes! Exactly. I was thinking this as I was reading the rest of the thread. I find that grumpy confirmed old bachelor types who are disgruntled with women or don't like them (despite being straight--since gay men are usually more tolerant) are sometimes the ones making rude comments about long hair. And a certain type of woman (those who have issues with what they might think is traditional femininity) also make these comments. It's weird.

biggeorge
April 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I have noticed that some people believe that being older DOES entitle them to make such comments.

As one of the resident Old Farts on this board, I must respond with YES YES YES! http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/e106.gif

Although age and experience does entitle one in some areas, never is it an excuse for rude comments and bad manners. As an older male growing out my hair, I have come to expect comments at some point in time, and have some retorts on hand should they occur.

I agree with some of the other posters about the "it's none of your business" response, along with "I don't appreciate negative and rude comments about my personal appearance" to begin with. If feeling bolder, one could say "My hair length is a personal choice that I can change as I see fit. Too bad you don't have the same options with your nose (ears, etc)". That will stop conversation dead in the tracks usually, and you are doing nothing more than responding to them in the same manner that they commented to you.

Another one of my favorites when asked why I don't cut my hair or maintain it short is "I've seriously thought about it, but every time I'm about to do so I see a cut like yours and realize how bad I would really look". Put them on the spot!

A little milder approach would be "I much prefer being an individual that can make my own choices than being one of the crowd". Same implication, but just not said out loud.

One of my favorite quotes of all time is from Winston Churchill, after being rudely accused of being drunk at a party one evening:

“You are drunk Sir Winston, you are disgustingly drunk."

"Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are disgustingly ugly. And tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober.”

You have to handle it how you feel comfortable.

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Just curious, was the old fart (and I say this not because of his age, but attitude--my husband is 60 and no way an old fart ;) ) bald and perhaps jealous of your lovely mane?

Never ceases to amaze me the rudeness of some people, which is a good thing--we never want to become desensitized to rudeness.
LOL!! actually yes he is bald unless you count the attractive (not) comb over he had going on!! your old fart comment made me LOL thats what my husband called him!!:)

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I really hate when people make rude comments. And the idea that womens' hair has to be short above a certain age...pfah! Just wait till my hair is long, thick, and wavy, and I look like a WITCH, bwahahaha!

That man is a moron, and I am sorry he hurt your feelings.

going off topic, slight hijack...

Last summer I was jogging with my Ipod on, when an old lady (with her dog) stopped me. She was gesticulating and staring at a "missing cat" poster. I politely stopped to see what was up, and she began a rant about how Asian people really steal pets so they can eat them. They drive around in vans, according to her, and snatch cats and dogs to serve in their restaurants. Oh, and they all come here and take our jobs, too. WTF?!?!? I thought this kind of racism went out ages ago...but apparently not, here (where I come from is over 50% Asian in parts, i grew up with Japanese, Chinese, Korean friends, so she struck me as particularly ignorant). Well, I responded by telling her that I'm a foreigner living here too, that I hate hearing racism or xenophobia here in the neighborhood where I live, that it's rude and unacceptable, put my headphones on, and jogged away. Later I realized it was indeed the bossy, bored old lady from across the street!

People of that generation are so quick to call younger people rude, but I always notice it is the 60+ people - especially the men - who are the rudest of the rude.

end hijack. ;)

i 100% agree! and you could never look like a witch in a million years x

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
That's the spirit!! :gabigrin:

LOL!! watch this space!! you know you are my braid idol, i think you should throw yours over the pond, its long enough i will give his a$$ a whipping!!

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 11:34 AM
“You are drunk Sir Winston, you are disgustingly drunk."

"Yes, Mrs. Braddock, I am drunk. But you, Mrs. Braddock are disgustingly ugly. And tomorrow morning, I, Winston Churchill will be sober.”

[/quote] that is just pure class, love it and so very true!

SHELIAANN1969
April 10th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Wow, what a horses arse!! Maybe you can ask him (if you see him again) why doesnt he grow up and quit the combover fakeout?? lol

I see he got the bull po'd, he was lucky he wasnt mauled by you!!

He was just jealous, what a crab...

mommy101405
April 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Is he married? He's probably just jealous that his wife doesnt have such lovely long locks to enjoy. :)

MemSahib
April 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Oh my, your friend has trouble with impulse control, doesn't he? I am seeing this more and more, where people don't seem to be able to keep back hurtful comments toward others. You don't make yourself very well loved by your fellow-man if you constantly say things like this to people. My personal approach to such ill-conceived attacks is to take the high road of politeness. Why demean myself to this man's level? Rather, pity him for his social ineptitude and move on.

Kirin
April 10th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm a little astonished actually, since when does a man want a woman to cut their hair? I've heard this comment made by women to teenage boys, but to women? Never.

chrissy-b
April 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM
what an ego that guy has on him to think that you wanted to hear his opinion in the first place. Kudos to you for saying what you did to him. I don't think I would have replied so politely. I might have said, "When are you going to F off and mind your own business?"

Laululintu
April 10th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I probably would have said something along the lines of "I fail to see how MY hair is any of YOUR business." Either that or I would have given his comb over a very evil glance :p

Druid of Alba
April 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM
How rude of him! And then he says that YOU were rude? What's HIS problem! I'm sorry to hear that. Your hair is beautiful! :)

Alaskanheart
April 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
OMGosh, what a weirdo. Is APL that odd in England? Its fairly common for adult women to sport APL hair in the US.

That annoys me so much when people think they can make any comment regarding your appearance, and think its completely acceptable. The one that always pisses me off is when people comment on my genetic determined skinniness (not anorexia), and say "you need to eat more".

Your not the only person who has noticed that older people seem to be much ruder than even teenagers. I think they either get too lazy to care about manners, or think they have earned a right to be rude because they have been here longer.Unfortunately age isn't the only factor in determining wisdom.

I think you answered back with a great response. I would have been so taken back that I probably would have kept quiet or mumbled something to just be polite.

A few years ago, I was playing poker with my husband and a few of our guy friends, and the subject about one of this guys wifes friends getting breast implants, didn't bother me I just kept out of it, and suddenly this jackass friend of my husband asks "so Kim are you going to get implants"? I was so stunned that I just said "I don't think so", but thinking back I wish I would have said something like "Well Chris if you really think I need them, then I will take out a loan, and cut my body open just so you think I am more attractive"" Oh and bye the way when do you plan on getting liposuction?"Oh well.

Sorry for the slight hijack, those type of comments just really Piss me off.

DrkAngel
April 10th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I totally agree with most of the comments here. Plus I think the best reply to one of those rude comments is always a counterattack. Trust me, you'll end up getting more and more imaginative with practise. Just don't try to explain your reasons, quickly think of something to say and snap it at him. :whip:

Someone who doesn't take you seriously doesn't deserve your explanations on why your'e growing you hair. That applies to friends and family too. Besides, when they get at you like that they are missing one hell of a chance to get their hair in better shape through your knowledge on haircare ;) I've come to the conclusion that most of these rude comments against long hair come because of envy or some strange need to identify you as "not in the norm", which wierdly makes them feel assaulted by your individuality. Sorry I got carried on... :rolleyes:

WritingPrincess
April 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
. . . little children that come up to the store and ask my why my hair is so long. I tell them my name is Rapunzel. I don't see why that bothers you. But I love your answer!

AshleyP
April 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I actually do have to agree with this comment:

"People of that generation are so quick to call younger people rude, but I always notice it is the 60+ people - especially the men - who are the rudest of the rude."

At my last job (KMart), there was a man who had retired from working there, but came back out of boredom. He works as the door man now. He's ALWAYS without fail, so rude to me. Mostly me, I have noticed many times. Granted, he never said anything about my hair, but would make comments to me suggesting that I am stupid. Like last week, I went to the same KMart and he still works there. He handed me a paper and I stopped to look down at it and after about 5 seconds he says, "You do know how to read right...?" It could have been funny if he didn't say it in such a rude tone with such seriousness and I was there with my mom, so I just rolled my eyes and ignored him for the most part. I couldn't stand him when I worked there because he always made comments to me infront of other people about things I was doing, basically implying I was dumb. Drove me crazy. I was the only one who he'd do it to the whole time I worked there. :shrug: Though, there are plenty of VERY nice older men too. I've had some older man customer buy me a candy bar when I worked at KMart for no reason (of course, it was given to me with a wink :o ) But, when it does come to rudeness, some of them seem to be the most blunt about it.

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 04:42 PM
With people inclined to give rude comments, if it's not one thing, it's another. I was once wearing an orange-red sweater - very vivid - and an elderly man in the grocery store told me I was "wearing that color wrong."

Say what? wtf? who has the right to tell you what to wear. the mind boggles, it really does!

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM
How rude of him! And then he says that YOU were rude? What's HIS problem! I'm sorry to hear that. Your hair is beautiful! :) is what is known as a ****** i hate people like this and like im 38 hardly passed it but even if i was what buisness is it of his??

jojo
April 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
OMGosh, what a weirdo. Is APL that odd in England? Its fairly common for adult women to sport APL hair in the US.

That annoys me so much when people think they can make any comment regarding your appearance, and think its completely acceptable. The one that always pisses me off is when people comment on my genetic determined skinniness (not anorexia), and say "you need to eat more".

Your not the only person who has noticed that older people seem to be much ruder than even teenagers. I think they either get too lazy to care about manners, or think they have earned a right to be rude because they have been here longer.Unfortunately age isn't the only factor in determining wisdom.

I think you answered back with a great response. I would have been so taken back that I probably would have kept quiet or mumbled something to just be polite.

A few years ago, I was playing poker with my husband and a few of our guy friends, and the subject about one of this guys wifes friends getting breast implants, didn't bother me I just kept out of it, and suddenly this jackass friend of my husband asks "so Kim are you going to get implants"? I was so stunned that I just said "I don't think so", but thinking back I wish I would have said something like "Well Chris if you really think I need them, then I will take out a loan, and cut my body open just so you think I am more attractive"" Oh and bye the way when do you plan on getting liposuction?"Oh well.

Sorry for the slight hijack, those type of comments just really Piss me off.

lol nice reply, what the hell is the world coming too, yep in my area every woman has dead short hair, dead being the objective word if you get my drift, omg theres like so many bad people and they pick on me, wish id just said F**k off! i would normally was in a good mood that day! but i did like the long hair comment, even if im not it still make my day!!

DecafJane
April 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I suppose you could always mess with him a little. Just stare at the top of HIS head with a worried/disgusted look on your face and say, "Um . . . yes . . .um . . . thanks for your . . . advice . . . . (*still staring at his "hair") . . . bye now."

;)

Short hair on most elderly women looks so bloody awful - I really don't understand why other people would WANT them to look that way??!

Angela_Rose
April 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Good for you for standing up for yourself. There's no reason he should have been so flat-out mean to you.
*i* think you have lovely hair.

Alaskanheart
April 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
lol nice reply, what the hell is the world coming too, yep in my area every woman has dead short hair, dead being the objective word if you get my drift, omg theres like so many bad people and they pick on me, wish id just said F**k off! i would normally was in a good mood that day! but i did like the long hair comment, even if im not it still make my day!!

It must be a trend thing in your area right now with the super short cuts?How silly to get comments like that for not following a trend.You would think people would be thrilled to see something a bit different than the same old thing, and react more positively.I'm sorry people pick on you.lol. Sometimes I feel picked on too, but I think its because I can give the impression of being "too nice", I'm really not overly nice, and easily taken advantage of, I was just taught to have manners and be polite to show others respect.If I am pushed enough though I can tell people to F-off, and I have, but dang when someone shoots a comment like that at you, it does take you by surprise.

I'm glad that someone acknowledging your hair as "long" made your day, at least the guy is someone who's opinion isn't important to you.

Happy growing!:toast:

sweetkandi
April 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I cant believe someone would make such a comment. And like angela_rose said, good for you for sticking up for yourself. I probably would have been too shy and P.Oed to say something back.

Nevermore
April 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
What a rude remark! God. I don't get negative comments on my hair, most people are too busy with my 2g ear lobes to bother with my hair XD.

longhairedfairy
April 10th, 2008, 11:10 PM
When is he going to grow up and learn some manners?

lynnala
April 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM
What a jerk! I'm going to remember this for the time when someone says the same to me. I'll try to remember to say; 'I'll tell you what. When you stop being an A-hole, then I'll cut my hair!'

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 11:30 PM
UGH!! That is SO typical of bullies!! You ask them to explain themselves and they try to put it back on you!!

What an ------e!!!

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM
My personal approach to such ill-conceived attacks is to take the high road of politeness. Why demean myself to this man's level? Rather, pity him for his social ineptitude and move on.

Hey! I like that as a comeback! "I pity you for your social ineptitude!" He wouldn't have a clue ;)

ETA: "What a disgraceful display of impropriety!" And that one, too! :pins:

Gaelic Girl
April 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Moon him!! LOL

Ok...seriously...I didn't grow my hair till high school. I come from a small town and for some reason the male teachers and VP thought it was cute to pull the braid as they were walking by...with it!! So, by grade 11, I was wearing my hair in a high bun; they nicknamed me "Grandma" behind my back. grrrr

Anyway, I've had the same hair since my late teens and I've had the opposite experience. Whenever I've spoken of cutting for a change, people have gotten up in arms to an extraordinary extent. As though they had something invested in it!

I thought I'd chop at aged 30, but that milestone has passed and I realized that I really like this hair; this IS me. I don't think I'll ever have short hair. At least I've no desire to at this point.

Jojo, you handled yourself well. People act like fools without thinking sometimes...it means nothing. Try not to let it rattle you.

Enjoy your lovely, growing hair. Also, you have such a charming smile. I always enjoy your posts. :)

Cheers,
Gaelic Girl

intothemist1999
April 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM
There are things he comments on now that he would never have done so when I was younger, and it applies to other people as well. I am appalled in general when people think they're entitled to say such things. .

<<full impish mode>> Then again, at 46 years, I can see how having a few more years under my belt of being pissed at stuff, I just might let loose! :rollin: My friend told me that after 40 "ya turn mean". I'm very laid back, and I can see it starting already. I never say something (yet) but it's ALMOST out of my mouth these days :)

Give it another 25 years to wear down... ;)

Gaelic Girl
April 10th, 2008, 11:53 PM
<<full impish mode>> Then again, at 46 years, I can see how having a few more years under my belt of being pissed at stuff, I just might let loose! :rollin: My friend told me that after 40 "ya turn mean". I'm very laid back, and I can see it starting already. I never say something (yet) but it's ALMOST out of my mouth these days :)

Give it another 25 years to wear down... ;)

I totally know what you mean!! At 36 and in uni, I'm the most outspoken in my classes, which is a riot for this self-proclaimed diplomat!

I keep warning that by the time I'm 80 or so (I've female cousins that are 85, 88, 99, 100, 104 and still giving 'em hell)...I'll be wearing my purple dress, and have HUGE, white flowing hair, and I'll walk with the biggest stick anyone's ever seen! :p

longhairedfairy
April 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I keep warning that by the time I'm 80 or so (I've female cousins that are 85, 88, 99, 100, 104 and still giving 'em hell)...I'll be wearing my purple dress, and have HUGE, white flowing hair, and I'll walk with the biggest stick anyone's ever seen! :p

Me too! I’ll have a big, sharp stick… with obnoxiously prissy flower designs on it :D and I'll poke anyone who insults my hair:demon: :p

busnutmedic
April 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hahah! What a rude man. Take it as a compliment - I don't want people to say "She finally grew up and got boring." Noo way :D I know a woman who must be 40 and she acts like she's 20 sometimes (but not in a bad way!). We're great friends and she's loads of fun. I want to be fun when I get old :D (And have long hair!).

Bonnie

tiny_teesha
April 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM
My sisters and Aunty have been making these comments to me lately.
I'm not impressed but i will also not listen to them
They are also makeing the "your hair is thin at the bottom you need to trim it all off" But i tell them how i did that already last year and look where that got me? Thinner then before so i'd rather do it my way...its my hair anyway, if you dont like it look away! Lol
Yep.

Morag
May 1st, 2008, 11:15 PM
Well, at best he sounds socially inept. At worst, he's just an ass. There's probably not much you can do about him in either case. I'm glad you stood up for yourself, though. Every once in a while, even old curmudgeons manage to learn something.

Don't let him get you down, Jojo. Honestly, does anyone at all actually care what he thinks about your hair?

camillacamilla
May 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
:mad: Some people are so rude. Besides, I think cutting your hair can make you look OLDER. I stupidly gave my hair a good chop since I am in my 30s...that was a big old mistake. Made me look older and downright frumpy. I am growing it back out at least down to my waist, maybe longer than that. Anyone that doesn't like it? Too bad!