PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU use Coconut Oil?

Pages : [1] 2

Stagecoach
March 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
One of my favorite threads to browse was the coconut oil thread... so here's another!

How do you use coconut oil?

I use it for a bizzilion things!

I like to spread a couple drops on my damp hair and bun it for a big boost of moisture.
I like to soak my hair in it over night for a deep oil treatment.
I oil my hands, and run them down my braids to add gloss.
I slather it on my face for super soft skin the next morning!
And when I'm gonna be in water, I'll thoroughly oil my hair, then braid it, and oil the braid again... that seems to keep unwanted chemicals out for at least a little while.

eadwine
March 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I grab a table spoon and put a bunch on, then slide a lot off so I have just a bit more than a filled one.

Smear that in my hair and preferably let sit overnight in a bun. Works wonders for my hair :)

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 06:09 PM
It makes the most amazing moisturizer!!!! I use it on my legs right after I shave, and I don't get nearly as much stubble as I did before. I also use it on my tattoos, it helps keeps the color brighter. I use it on mild burns, I cook in the kitchen a lot, sometimes it happens, it really helps. I use it as a facial moisturizer as well. Eye make up remover. As well as of course, on my hair. :)

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I use it after washing as a light leave in, and reapply repeatedly as needed. I also use it for scalp massage, either alone of one of the formulations with herb extracts in.

I do long soaks with it......apply it so heavily it looks wet and leave it days before washing, topping up morning and evening to keep it saturated.

I use it as a light after washing moisturiser, and slather it on before bed and do a bit of a facial massage.

I oil my nails and cuticles with it. And moistirise my hands.

I cook with it.

And i miosturise my body skin with it.....oooooh and my underarms to prevent post shave rash and keep them deoderised.

coppercurls
March 7th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I do all the stuff the previous posters do & then some! I add it to SMT's, Take off my make up with it, add it to my bath water, and use it on any area that has dry skin & occassionally I even cook with it.:p

royalscorpio
March 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
What, some of you guys COOK with it????

Goodness. What a thought!!!

*grin!*

eadwine
March 7th, 2008, 06:19 PM
It's quite yummy you know! :)

ChloeDharma
March 7th, 2008, 06:25 PM

*grin!*

Try it with the virgin stuff next time you cook a curry.....it's delicious!

jojo
March 7th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I use it as an overnight oil, face moisturiser, I eat 2 tablespoons a day normally in my morning porridge or on toast, great in a jacket potato too. It helps get rid of candida of the gut and is very good for people with thyroid problems. I couldn't lose weight for love nor money started to eat it and have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and I guess anything which is good enough to eat is good enough for my hair!

i will get back with a link

eta link - http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/vandenbrekel1.html

TammySue
March 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I normally use it as a pre-conditioner. I put it on the total length and then go about doing chores for awhile and then wash as usual.

I also use a small amount to smooth through to keep static at bay.

Curlsgirl
March 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Mostly as a leave-in after washing and conditioning. Sometimes I mist and add some more before I do an updo or braid too but in the winter I use avocado a lot more for that.

thunderlilies
March 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Wow! I had no idea you could use coconut for so many things! I need to use it more, looks like. Think I'll try the moisturising leave-in idea first... :)

squiggyflop
March 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
One of my favorite threads to browse was the coconut oil thread... so here's another!

I like to spread a couple drops on my damp hair and bun it for a big boost of moisture.
And when I'm gonna be in water, I'll thoroughly oil my hair, then braid it, and oil the braid again... that seems to keep unwanted chemicals out for at least a little while.
my hair is really greasy as is so i seldom add oil... but there is nothing better for my legs (ive got a skin condition that causes tiny bumps on my skin).. i once tried to put a tiny amount of the oil on my face and woke up with the worst most painful acne on my face... the pimples were deep and im still waiting for them to go away a week later. ugh i look like a highschool freshman with all these zits on my face...
i do like to sometimes use coconut oil with my camellia oil for a hot oil deep treatment.

Patrycja
March 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I use it in my mister along with aloe,distilled water and a drop of some EO.I'm with the many others that use it for heavy oilings.I prefer a light light oiling of coconut after I wash to anything else.

CaraLynn
March 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
My hair doesn't like coconut oil.....and I can't stand the way it smells so I don't use it at all!! Wish I could, though.....

Snowymoon
March 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
My skin loves the stuff. :o I mix it with a little Sweet Success Oil and add it to my hair in small amounts every now and then.

Stephanie
March 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I make a mixture of coconut oil with some rose oil in it and use it as a pre-wash conditioner (less than I use pure shea butter, though), and as a leave-in/smoother on my freshly washed, damp hair. For non-hair uses, I use it all over my face and body. I use a lot of high strength chemical exfoliators on my face and the coconut oil with rose is very soothing and healing.

The coconut oil, by the way, is virgin. Refined coconut oil has a completely different (bad) effect on my hair and skin.

feralnature
March 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Here are some interesting articles on the benefits of coconut oil that I had bookmarked:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

http://www.coconutoil.com/ray_peat_coconutoil.htm

Stephanie
March 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Here is an interesting article on the benefits of coconut oil that I had bookmarked:

Oooh! Speaking of! I read that and a few other articles on the benefits of coconut oil about a year ago and started taking three tablespoons a day. My body temperature is regularly lower than "average" and I've always had a problem with steady, consistent energy levels. Anyway, after only a couple of weeks, I noticed a HUGE difference in my body temperature (I thought I was going crazy or having hormonal swings for no reason!) and I was no longer practically falling asleep in the afternoon. I found that losing weight got easier, too. I'd read about it and while everything made sense to me, I was skeptical about how it would affect me. I won't go without it now. Also, my cholesterol improved a bit (not much room for improvement, but I did get lab work done that indicated that the coconut oil was definitely NOT adversely affecting me). I won't be without the stuff anymore. Love it.

feralnature
March 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Oooh! Speaking of! I read that and a few other articles on the benefits of coconut oil about a year ago and started taking three tablespoons a day. My body temperature is regularly lower than "average" and I've always had a problem with steady, consistent energy levels. Anyway, after only a couple of weeks, I noticed a HUGE difference in my body temperature (I thought I was going crazy or having hormonal swings for no reason!) and I was no longer practically falling asleep in the afternoon. I found that losing weight got easier, too. I'd read about it and while everything made sense to me, I was skeptical about how it would affect me. I won't go without it now. Also, my cholesterol improved a bit (not much room for improvement, but I did get lab work done that indicated that the coconut oil was definitely NOT adversely affecting me). I won't be without the stuff anymore. Love it.

Stephanie, that is all good to know. I edited to add an additional link , I think we were posting at the same time. I have a friend who has done some research and she claims that coconut oil is responsible for keeping the people of the south seas looking young.

Naluin
March 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I use coconut oil everywhere: hair, lips, hands, face, legs. It's quite the all purpose moisturizer.

I haven't gotten around to eating it, though. I haven't found a way to incorporate it into my diet. Maybe I'll put it in my oatmeal.

blackcat905
March 8th, 2008, 04:01 AM
I apply coconut oil to the length of my hair, comb it out, plait it and then wash it out a couple of hours later. Sometimes I leave it in overnight and I also cook with it.

Boudicca
March 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
I apply it to fairly wet hair, comb through, plait, and then pin it up and leave it. I try to do this for 24 hrs minimum. I use quite a lot too, by hair seems to soak it up.

I like it for knees and elbows too.

ChloeDharma
March 8th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Stephanie.....my sister has been taking it it porridge almost every day and has lost i think 3 dress sizes, but she's definately alot slimmer than before. Unfortunately i don't really like porridge so the only way i gret to eat it is in curries.....but i'm hoping to find a way to eat it daily, it's apparently good for diabetes too and boosts the immune system and healing rate, both of which i could do with.

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Coconut oil is made up of MCTs- medium chain triglycerides. For the first week or so of regular consumption, your body *does* process them slightly differently than other fats/oils and there is a small metabolic increase. Your body adjusts after about a week however and there is no more actual boost.

Still, if you were short on healthy fats to begin with, it will still help you that way.

yogachic
March 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I apply to damp hair after a wash, leave it there until my next shampoo.
I eat a tablespoon on toast with a little sugar, its the only way I can stand to eat it. I have since run out and need to get a new jar, I noticed that I was never sick, while taking it, but once I stopped I did get sick, so I must get back to eating it every day.

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Stephanie.....my sister has been taking it it porridge almost every day and has lost i think 3 dress sizes, but she's definately alot slimmer than before. Unfortunately i don't really like porridge so the only way i gret to eat it is in curries.....but i'm hoping to find a way to eat it daily, it's apparently good for diabetes too and boosts the immune system and healing rate, both of which i could do with.

Its great in a lot of foods Jacket potatoes, mixed in veg, as a spread on toast/bread, in smoothies you can put it in anything some eat it straight off the spoon!

royalscorpio
March 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Its great in a lot of foods Jacket potatoes, mixed in veg, as a spread on toast/bread, in smoothies you can put it in anything some eat it straight off the spoon!

I have been thinking about doing this for a long time... but do you eat the virgin, or the unrefined?

Rain
March 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I usually use it to take off makeup at night. Sometimes I use it in my hair to detangle. Sometimes I use a lot of it in my hair as a pre-wash treatment. I tried it as leave-in but it was either not effective or made my hair look oily. I couldn't seem to find a middle ground there. But I love the stuff and always have it on hand since first trying it about a year and a half ago.

Carolyn
March 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I use it as a leave in applied to wet hair. I warm a tiny bit in my hands and apply it by smoothing it on to my wet hair concentrating on the last few inches of hair. I also use it on my hands, elbows, and feet. At night I use it as an overnight eye oil. Someone over at TBB said it helped with her dark circles and I'll try anything to diminish mine.

Ohio Sky
March 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Coconut oil mixed with Shea butter is the best thing ever for my skin and for overnight treatments on my hair.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I use it to pre-poo overnight
In my deep conditioner and homemade recipes
on my wet ends to define my curls and keep my hair soft
To moisturize my skin
And for scalp massages

I've read that raking a couple of tbsp a day can help with weight loss, anyone every tried this?

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I use it to pre-poo overnight
In my deep conditioner and homemade recipes
on my wet ends to define my curls and keep my hair soft
To moisturize my skin
And for scalp massages

I've read that raking a couple of tbsp a day can help with weight loss, anyone every tried this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1357&postcount=25 ;)

It's not going to do anything magical for weight loss. There's a small metabolic boost while your body adjusts to processing the medium-chain triglyceridies that make up coconut oil, but it passes after about a week once your system catches up.

That said, it's a healthy fat and if you have trouble getting enough fat in your diet, it's a yummy way to take it in.

jojo
March 8th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I have been thinking about doing this for a long time... but do you eat the virgin, or the unrefined?

the virgin is supposed to be better, its worked for me. I got diagnosed with borderline hypothyroidism and nothing worked for me until i tried this not only has it been good at reducing my weight but my skin and hair feels much softer. It takes about 2 weeks to kick in and you might put a few pounds on before as your body adjusts but they come off with more besides. I have much more energy and my cholesterol has dropped from 9 to 4!

also you may get a few spots at first, but again they go its just adjusting.

~*BeautyWitch*~
March 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
^^Thank you Elfling, sorry I usually answer first then read the whole thread, I didn't have enough post to edit it after I saw your answer :o

Rzilynt
March 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I soak my hair in it as a pre-poo. If I am bunning, I will use it in my hair. My hair drinks it up. keeps it very soft.

Elfling
March 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
^^Thank you Elfling, sorry I usually answer first then read the whole thread, I didn't have enough post to edit it after I saw your answer :o

Oh pish, no problem! I didn't mean to come off know it all, either- I've just been really up on coconut oil lately.

Hella
March 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Because I have fine and thin hair I can't really use loads of oil, and heavy oilings don't work for me. I use coconut oil after every wash on wet hair that isn't dripping wet. I take about two to four drops, rub in my palms and then gently massage into my hair from the ears down. Sometimes when my hands are extremely dry I use coconut oil as an overnight moisturiser.

Misso
March 8th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I soak my hair with it before shampoo. Not every time though.

lovingmyhair
March 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I usually oil my hair with it. I also mix it with my deep conditioners.

Darian Moone
March 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM
I put a light amount on my hair after washing, I use it on my skin - especially on my legs after shaving. It seems to help prevent or at least minimize, those ugly red bumps from shaving. I usually put a vitamin E/A&shea butter balm on my lips, but sometimes at night I put coconut oil on my lips instead. It smells so great and I taste yummy when DH kisses me. ;)

Elfling
March 9th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Hmm, after shaving is a cool idea.

I guess I never posted how I use it!

-deep conditioning coconut oil only treatments
-deep conditioning coconut oil/conditioner mix treatments (these always give me awesome results)
-lip balm, especially before bed
-healthy dietary fat

I always buy the coldpressed, extra virgin stuff that actually smells like coconut. It's delicious.

Silver & Gold
March 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
I had it on hand long before I joined this group because I cook with it. Now I use it for many things already listed by others.

Now that I think of it, I've always had a very well stocked kitchen with various oils, spices, herbs, etc. But my kitchen has a way of slowly creeping up the stairs into my bathroom as I use many things I cook with on my hair and to bathe, etc.

So does anyone want to hear about the time I turned myself a fine orangey/golden oompa loompa color with turmeric?

herbgurl82
March 9th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I use coconut oil in my hair as a prewash oiling, sometimes as long as overnight (on both damp and dry hair), a pea sized amount on my damp ends after washing, and a little on ends at night to make it easier to braid. I also use it on my very dry feet and ankles at night, with socks on so my sheets don't get all greasy. :p

have since run out and need to get a new jar, I noticed that I was never sick, while taking it, but once I stopped I did get sick, so I must get back to eating it every day.

After reading this, I think I might start cooking with it! I wonder if I could use it for a toast spread if I mixed it with peanut butter or something to hide the texture... I am assuming this is the unrefined stuff, right? All I have right now is the refined.

So does anyone want to hear about the time I turned myself a fine orangey/golden oompa loompa color with turmeric?
Me! Me!:lol:

girlcat36
March 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Unfortunately, my hair and face do not like coconut oil. It makes my hair stringy, crunchy, frizzy, and makes my face breakout.
It's an awesome body moisturizer. I swear it makes me sleep better when I apply it before bed.
It's very good on toast and popcorn. I tried putting it in my protein shake but that was a disaster. It wouldn't blend with the rest of the ingredients so I was drinking coconut oil chunks.

ChloeDharma
March 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Lol yeah :P

Elenna
March 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
[quote=TammySue;404]I normally use it as a pre-conditioner. I put it on the total length and then go about doing chores for awhile and then wash as usual. [quote]

I use coconut oil as a pre-conditioner too.

One-fourth teaspoon from "Wilderness Family Naturals" Coconut Oil. This is a really good product. It smells good too. This is the first coconut oil that I really like.

Elenna

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/elenna_2007/Elenna-10-14-2007-4mos-LHC-small.jpg

Silver & Gold
March 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I had it on hand long before I joined this group because I cook with it. Now I use it for many things already listed by others.

Now that I think of it, I've always had a very well stocked kitchen with various oils, spices, herbs, etc. But my kitchen has a way of slowly creeping up the stairs into my bathroom as I use many things I cook with on my hair and to bathe, etc.

Lol yeah :P

Well, let me start by saying that I'm often willing to be my own human guinea pig . . . I use my own body for many experiments that later end up benefitting my family . . . at least the successful ones.

So early this fall I was looking into many different natural bathing methods and also a way to use an abundance of turmeric I had on hand for cooking. I read how in India turmeric is mixed with oil and used as a face/body scrub that not only exfoliates but the turmeric itself has properties that is healing to skin. I believe I also read something about it also being used to remove unwanted hair.

Now I will admit that I did read somewhere a caution about fair skinned people taking on the yellowish color of the turmeric but that this wasn't a huge issue for dark skinned people. But I reasoned . . . how bad could it be?

So I jumped into my shower with my turmeric and oil body scrub and applied it to my dry skin - A L L over. I do yoga so I had no trouble reaching all those difficult areas on my back . . . I'm nothing if not thorough.

After I really worked and scrubbed and felt I was polished clean, I began the rinsing.

OMG, there was a vivid yellow wash running off my body, hitting the walls and shower curtain and running down the tub. My bathroom tub, tiles and curtain is white . . . well, it WAS white. But I wasn't all that concerned, it would wash off. But I was amazed how the yellow just kept coming. The more I rinsed, the more the yellow river flowed. I though there would be no end to it.

Finally, blissfully, I got to the point where the water was running clear. There were some yellow stained areas at the bottom of the tub and on the tiles and curtains but I knew that would come off with bleach if I had to resort to that.

Then I drew back the shower curtains and looked across at the mirror over the sink for the 'reveal'. I shouldn't have been surprised and yet, somehow I never quite imagined it. I expected, perhaps, a bit of a yellow glow. But I was more of an orangey-golden tone and nearly glowing with it. Oompa Loompa came to mind and I actually started playing the little Oompa Loompa song in my mind as I gazed in amazement at my new complexion.

It truly was funny as all get out. Thank heavens I was home alone. I jumped back in the shower and began washing again with lots and lots of lathering and scrubbing.

When I emerged again I was still a pale yellow but nothing that my husband even noticed. He is a man . . . not the most observant creature on the planet.

So I had a private chuckle and a good story to share with my friends who already know me as a crazy old lady because my motto is, "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it."

kwaniesiam
March 9th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I use it mainly as a skin moisturizer. It works wonders when combined with shea butter.

Lasiren
March 9th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I rub a very tiny bit into the length of my hair for added sleekness during the day, although I prefer almond oil when I have it. I also use loads of coconut oil in a braided bun if I'm going to be swimming.

Stephanie
March 9th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Silver & Gold...you are a riot. :rollin:

lengthy_locks
March 10th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I guess I didn't even know coconut oil existed. Where can I get some, and how much can I expect to pay? The stuff sounds amazing! :p

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I buy Spectrum Naturals Organic Virgin Coconut Oil at the grocery store. It's hidden quite well in the same section I find olive oil.

I use it pretty much the same way others do: on my face, in my hair, on my body, and in food.

I particularly like to mix it with a little jojoba oil and slather it on my body & face while I'm in the sauna. The heat really helps it penetrate and I have really, really soft skin.

I also make a mixture of coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter and just the tiniest bit of honey and pour it into the little tiny jars that mineral makeups came in (thoroughly cleansed, of course), and I use that stuff for lip balm, hand & cuticle moisturizer, for taming the frizzies and for lightly oiling my ends after washing.

Tapioca
March 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
I buy Spectrum Naturals Organic Virgin Coconut Oil at the grocery store. It's hidden quite well in the same section I find olive oil.

I use it pretty much the same way others do: on my face, in my hair, on my body, and in food.

I particularly like to mix it with a little jojoba oil and slather it on my body & face while I'm in the sauna. The heat really helps it penetrate and I have really, really soft skin.

I also make a mixture of coconut oil, shea butter, mango butter and just the tiniest bit of honey and pour it into the little tiny jars that mineral makeups came in (thoroughly cleansed, of course), and I use that stuff for lip balm, hand & cuticle moisturizer, for taming the frizzies and for lightly oiling my ends after washing.

Can we get a recipe, please?

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Can we get a recipe, please?

Well, of course!! Why didn't I think of that myself???

Equal parts coconut, shea and mango butters ( I used about a teaspoon each). A little honey. For this quantity I literally used a drop out of my little honey bear squeezie bottle.

Warm the whole thing up and blend it really well, then pour into the little wee containers and stick them in the freezer for 10 minutes while you clean up.

Beware though, this liquefies at body temperature, so don't stick the little wee container in your pocket or you'll have a real mess (kinda like when my "water" bra sprung a leak!!! uh-huh, really!!! I discovered that a water bra contains NO actual water).

I'd love to find a way to make this much more solid, like a lotion bar, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I guess I didn't even know coconut oil existed. Where can I get some, and how much can I expect to pay? The stuff sounds amazing! :p

Your grocery store might carry it in the oils section, or in the 'natural/organics' section if it has one.

If that fails, your local health food store should have it, or be easily able to order it for you.

I know several on here order it off the itnernet, so that's another option.

Which ever way you choose, you want to look for 'cold expeller pressed, virgin coconut oil', it will be solid below 76 degrees F. and smell very coconutty!

Stagecoach
March 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd love to find a way to make this much more solid, like a lotion bar, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Perhaps melting some beeswax and coco butter would help? That's what I do for making lotion bars.

Silver & Gold
March 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Silver & Gold...you are a riot. :rollin:

I'm glad someone gets a kick out of my silly @ss.

I can be a moron but I'm seldom boring.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I use it on my hair mixed with olive oil as a pre-shampoo treatment. I read somewhere that it actually works better with olive oil than alone, but I'm not sure if it's true. I think I read it on beautybrains.

I mix it with honey and spread it on toast. It's delicious with honey. Sometimes I sprinkle a little cinnamon on top too.

I use it for the KP (little bumbs) on the backs of my arms. I read on wikipedia that it heals KP and I was skeptical, but the bumps went away two weeks after using it with daily use. Who knew?

I use it on my legs after shaving. I love how it feels on my skin. It makes it really soft and smooth.

I use the extra virgin unprocessed kind. It smells wonderful. Love it. Never want to be without it.

Mahars
March 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM

If you don't find it at the store, you can get it on Amazon. I use Nutiva and I love it. It's fantastic. I rave about it so much that they should pay me for advertising.

khyricat
March 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I get it at Meijers..

I use coconut oil in several ways... as a moistrizer on my skin post bathing, a tiny bit in my hair after washing, but mostly the hibiscus tea is my leave in.. and in FOOD...

I can't have dairy, and coconut oil is a wonderful replacement for butter in a ton of items, it even works in baking more like butter..

as a dietetics student, there are a lot of good and bad health things about all oils, and coconut oil has some benefits and some detriments, as far as I am concerned- everything in moderation. I do keep seperate containers in the bathroom and the kitchen though, so I don't have to worry about contaminating the stuff I cook with!

unrefined is best on body, refined works well in the kitchen if you don't want the slight coconutty flavor... and my hubby appreciates it too.. he's even started cooking with it!

Amie

Lexie
March 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Nothing fancy here... I cook with it sometimes and use about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in my hair while it's still a bit wet after a washing.

quidscribis
March 13th, 2008, 06:17 AM

*grin!*
Try it with the virgin stuff next time you cook a curry.....it's delicious!

Virgin coconut oil is part of what gives Sri Lankan curries its distinctive flavours. With curry leaves, of course. :) VCO is wonderful as a cooking oil with a higher smoke point than most other oils and a lovely flavour. It's the only cooking oil we have in the house, and we use it for everything, including deep frying and sometimes in baking in the place of butter or margarine.

We also use VCO for machine oil. You know, locks that are rusting and such or hinges that squeak. :) That, in addition to using it on hair and skin, which is traditional here.

The virgin coconut oil is unrefined. And yes, eat the virgin coconut oil. I wouldn't eat refined coconut oil if I were paid.

I'd love to find a way to make this much more solid, like a lotion bar, so if anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.Beeswax will do the trick very nicely. I've made an UnPetroleum Jelly before using... 8 parts oil to 1 part beeswax. Had to check. The ratio can be varied, of course, depending on the oils you use and how solid you want it to be, so experiment, but this will give you a starting point anyway. :)

rossjen
March 16th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I use coconut oil mainly as a body moisturizer, and occasionally as a face cleanser on its own. I only started doing that recently though, so I'm trying to work out if it gives me breakouts.
I would love to use it on my hair, but every oiling experiment I've tried has not worked out well, so I'm more than happy to use it for my skin. I've had the same jar of unrefined oil for six months, it's amazing how far you can stretch it.

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Silver and Gold.....that shower image of the yellow never ending had me laughing out loud!
Thanks for that :D

Faepirate
March 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Does anybody else find that coconut oil smells really WEIRD after a couple of hours if you put it on your face? O_O

It's fine if I use it on hands, body, hair.... but on my face it starts to smell very very strange indeed after a while!

wintersun99
March 16th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I use it lightly on my ends, after a wash. I use it for skin moisturizer especially on the nail cuticles, I also use it on the body during winter when my skin is quite dry, also use it for head massage. Love the coconut oil!

hrimfaxi
March 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I pretty much just work a bit into damp hair after showering, especially if I've decided to forgo conditioner. Works wonderfully! Also if my ends are being a bit crunchy, I'll dampen them and work in some coconut oil, which softens them right up.

ChloeDharma
March 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Does anybody else find that coconut oil smells really WEIRD after a couple of hours if you put it on your face? O_O

It's fine if I use it on hands, body, hair.... but on my face it starts to smell very very strange indeed after a while!

Funny you say that, i find it the other way around, on my face and body (i sometimes use it as a deoderant on my underarms) it stays that nice fresh coconut smell....but in my hair it can after a night with it in, develop a slightly different smell, until i slap more on.

JasmineDaisy
March 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question, does coconut oil have protein in it? I would like to try this stuff on my hair.

stepha
March 19th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I use it on hair, face and body. Also oatmeal, fry my morning egg with it and as "butter" on popcorn. It tastes better than butter to me and I do have a problem with not getting enough fat. Well, did. The 4 eggs a week and twice a week popcorn have pretty well fixed that.
For body and hair uses I like to add almond oil. It's my favorite smell!

khyricat
March 19th, 2008, 02:44 PM
per the USDA- there is NO protein in PURE coconut oil.. and most oil we talk about here is pure.. to be sold as an oil it has to be in the states.

On the other hand, coconut meat- raw, has 3.33 g of protein per 100 grams, but even that isn't much. And coconut milk as a generic category has 2.02 g per 100grams

Amie

JasmineDaisy
March 19th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks Khyricat! I saw some coconut oil at walmart so I guess I will pick a jar up when I have extra money.

addikted
March 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Besides on my hair, I slather it on my DRY body before getting in the shower, seems to really help with my dry skin. Be careful though, can make your bathroom floor really slippery! After my shower, I also apply it sparingly to damp skin to seal in as much moisture as possible.

JasmineDaisy
March 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wow I just applied coconut oil in my hair and I am in love. This stuff works wonders for my hair and I hope it will stay that way. :cloud9:

missy60
March 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I use it alot for almost everything. Hair, lips, body which has seen the most improvement with this oil. I now use it while in the shower I apply it generously to my wet body then blot dry with a towel. I havent had any dry skin problems on my body this whole winter which is very unusual for me.

JasmineDaisy
March 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
I bought refined coconut oil that needs to be refrigerated. Do ya'll just scoop some out and put it in a container and let it warm up in the microwave or should I just leave the whole jar out until some of it starts melting?

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 09:08 AM
I just store it at room temp, no problems, and if its liquid thats great, if not, I take some out and rub it in my hands, then use.. (for body applications) for cooking, I use it solid like I would butter if I used that.. actually I use coconut oil in place of butter in a lot of things.. since i can't eat things made with butter without killing myself.

Choccielocks
March 21st, 2008, 09:32 AM
I use coconut oil for practically everything, can't get enough of the stuff! I adore the scent, carries me off to more tropical destinations, far away from rainy england!
* Use it on lengths of damp hair as a leave in
*Melt it and mix thoroughly with aloe vera and apply to skin and dry hair as a de-frizzer
*Put on my hands and feet overnight (with socks on) (my feet, not hands!)
*Use it to wash my face using oil-cleansing method
*Put a dollop in the bath, soak, then when I get out, i'm covered with a light coating all over
*Put pure oil on dry elbows and knees
*Overnight heavy hair oilings

Did try eating it and loved it but never really got into the habit. Must try again!

I'm really lucky because a healthfood shop at the end of my road sells organic virgin CO quite reasonably.

intothemist1999
March 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I usually use the token "fingernail size" on my damp length. I've recently started using a bit more than that to see if it makes a difference.

I would like to use it as a cleanser but my face is prone to break-outs and blotchy bits if it gets too oily.

I tried eating it but felt almost a bit "grainy" to me and seemed to bother my throat. Not long after I got a throat infection, which may be why it was bothering me (and I can't imagine it caused it, but who knows). I was told to be careful because the funny texture in my throat MAY be allergy-related, but since I use it on my hair and hands, and I continued eating it mixed with peanut butter it and it didn't bother me, I don't suspect an allergy.

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 09:47 AM
I doubt it caused it, but there are different types, and the ones that are grainy, I won't use in the kitchen.. but they are fine on my body..

intothemist1999
March 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
My hair doesn't like coconut oil.....and I can't stand the way it smells so I don't use it at all!! Wish I could, though.....

The first stuff I bought was from the grocer's and has no smell at all.

The virgin c. oil I bought at a health store definitely has a coconut smell to it.

Susancnw
March 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Isn't it the yummiest on toast?

Susancnw
March 26th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I use LouAna's for external use and plan to get some virgin to cook with and eat...although I have tried taking a TBL in mid-morning and afternoon to fight munchies and it works really well. And my energy level i up also.

Beesweet
March 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I prefer cheaper stuff from the Asian grocer's that actually smells like coconut to cook with.
Try it with some scrambled eggs. I put it over rice with kimchee, if I have leftover rice.
Sounds gross, but packs a tasty wollop in the morning.

redhead_rachel
March 29th, 2008, 03:02 AM
I don't as yet, but I'm about to go wash my hair and use it as a conditioner! First time coconut oiling!! *excited but a little nerous*

Girltron
March 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM
I melt a 14 oz container of coconut oil in a bowl of hot water. Then I add in:
2 oz EVOO
1/2 oz jojoba oil
5ml my favorite BPAL

I pour it into a sterile glass bowl that has a lid and let it solidify.

I use a clean spoon to scoop some into a smaller glass jar that I use, so I'm not dipping my fingers into the big container. I use this blend for lots of things:

I have very dry skin, so after bathing I moisturize with regular lotion and then "seal" it in with the oil blend. I also rub the oil blend into my damp hair after a shower. No matter how much I use, it all absorbs in by the time my hair is dry. I also use it on dry hair to detangle, before BBB'ing. It's scented beautifully, so I rub it into the wood on the inside of my dresser drawers to help perfume my clothes while keeping the wood conditioned. To smooth my feet, I use one of those metal cheesegrater type callous removers, then glob tons of moisturizer on my feet and follow it up with lots of my oil blend. Then I put on a pair of socks and sleep with them on. Next morning, my feet are sweet smelling and soft! If my scalp is very dry, I dabble my fingertips in the oil blend and massage my scalp with it. I also use the oil on my cuticles and to help remove henna from my fingernails.

I also use plain coconut oil in my henna blends. It makes application much smoother, and possibly helps prevent dryness.

JKRBeloved
April 4th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I melt a 14 oz container of coconut oil in a bowl of hot water. Then I add in: 2 oz EVOO, 1/2 oz jojoba oil, 5ml my favorite BPAL. I pour it into a sterile glass bowl that has a lid and let it solidify.

What a great idea! I love the semi-solidness of coconut oil. I never thought of mixing it with other oils and scents. Thanks.

GlassEyes
April 4th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I use it in a similar way to Girltron, minus the EVOO. But now I may add that in...

I use a very, very strong cleanser for my skin (10% benzoyl peroxide, I think), and I use kimberlily's cononut butter mix on my skin to moisturize it at night (it makes me skin too shiny to wear during the day). I also put some on my skin prior to cleansing.

I obviously use the mixture in my hair too, after applying a leave in.

JKRBeloved
April 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I eat 2 tablespoons a day normally in my morning porridge or on toast, great in a jacket potato too. It helps get rid of candida of the gut and is very good for people with thyroid problems. I couldn't lose weight for love nor money started to eat it and have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and I guess anything which is good enough to eat is good enough for my hair!http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/vandenbrekel1.html

Jojo, thanks so much for this information. I had no idea it was healthy. Makes sense!
Feralnature, I just came across the sites that you also posted. SO interesting! I love learning these new (old?) exciting ideas.

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I use coconut oil all over my body and face, nommmms.

I happen to be hypothyroidic, but I've never tried using coconut oil internally to help that. Thanks for the links, I'll definitely try it :)

lavenderblue
April 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I tried coconut oil on my hair, no success. it gets a crunchy dry look. so I used it on my skin and I use it in the kitchen it tastes yummie!

sahiba
April 5th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I use to use only coconut oil on my hair first but now I mix it with castor oil for my hair. I make banana chips in coconut oil. And I also use it on my 2 yr. old son ,for his hair and also on his body .

filiadeluna
April 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
RE: using it on the face: has it made anyone break out?

The thought of any kind of oil on my face scares me. I don't have super oily skin (more like combination), but I do get the occasional zit or two.

ysmalan
April 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Coconut oil is my favourite. :cheese:

I use it on dry hair:
* I lube my comb with it, before combing my hair through
* I use it as a deep treatment before washing
* I oil my ends with it whenever I feel like they need it

And on wet hair:
* I put a bit of it in my ends and lengths after washing

And I use it also for the skin:
For my face and body I prefer Jojoba oil, but
* I slather it on my lips as a lip balm :silly:

JKRBeloved
April 5th, 2008, 10:29 AM
OH, YUM! I tried it on toast today with honey. Wow. Can't believe I've been missing THAT treat all my life. I'm thinking I'm going to get a jar just for the kitchen now.

GlassEyes
April 5th, 2008, 10:50 AM
RE: using it on the face: has it made anyone break out?

The thought of any kind of oil on my face scares me. I don't have super oily skin (more like combination), but I do get the occasional zit or two.

I have oily-ish skin (I honestly don't know whether it's oily or combination, but I digress) and after I use an acne cleanser, I appy it to my face.

It's made my acne better than making it worse. I don't use my acne prescription anymore and my skin is more clear than it was when I was using it.

Lizbot
April 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I will use a dab here and there to help with fly aways.
I will soak my ends in it for a hot oil treatment.
If my scalp is being ornery, I'll rub some onto my scalp with the pads of my fingers. This also helps me relax quite a bit.
I'll add a small amount to my ends after a shower to keep them happy.

harley mama
April 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I use it as a skin moisturizer and a leave in conditioner.
I also cook with it on occasion!

Riot Crrl
April 5th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I usually use it in a deep treatment, over something more watery like conditioner or aloe juice.

Xepher
April 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I use it after washing as a light leave in, and reapply repeatedly as needed. I also use it for scalp massage, either alone of one of the formulations with herb extracts in.

I do long soaks with it......apply it so heavily it looks wet and leave it days before washing, topping up morning and evening to keep it saturated.

I use it as a light after washing moisturiser, and slather it on before bed and do a bit of a facial massage.

I oil my nails and cuticles with it. And moistirise my hands.

I cook with it.

And i miosturise my body skin with it.....oooooh and my underarms to prevent post shave rash and keep them deoderised.

Does it really keep the armpits from getting smelly? I seem to stink no matter how many times I wash my armpits and put on deodorant, I even use baking soda sometimes to keep the smell at bay but it doesn't last long.

As for my methods I just tie my hair up, slather the ponytail in coconut oil, then bun it up and wear it all day at work.

BrianaFineHair
April 8th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Tonight was my first try with organic evco and I already love it. I like it much more than evoo for my ends. I put jojoba on my scalp and evco on the ends.

I hope the co does not break my neck out or face, because I will be sleeping tonight with it in my hair. I do the oil cleansing method using a mix of castor and sweet almond oil with wonderful success. I hope the co won't cause facial skin problems. IF it did, I still like it so much that I'd use it during the day and wash before going to bed.

lisanoemi
April 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Here are some interesting articles on the benefits of coconut oil that I had bookmarked:

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/

Wow!! I'm gonna go to my local health food store to get me some VCO, I had no idea coconut oil had so many good uses! I'm glad I ran into this thread! I used to eat raw coconuts regularly growing up in Puerto Rico (it's the best snack ever) and I was always healthy! Maybe moving to the states and changing my eating messed me up, I always get sick (colds, allergies, digestive problems..) I'm going to try this oil and I will let you guys know if it makes a difference.
I have some Parachute coconut oil here I use on my hair from time to time, I'm going to try using it regularly also.
Thank you for the info!!!:cheer:

Eden Iris
April 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM
LIke many others, I use a bit of coconut oil on my hair after washing. It also seems to improve my daughter's eczema and my husband's psoriasis. Not a cure, but the skin looks and feels better afterward.

Bellatrix
April 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I use it on the ends of my locks. Occasionally I'll use it as an ersatz night eye cream.

may1em
April 10th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I use a fingernail's worth of it mixed with a drop of jojoba oil on wet hair, or a fingernail's worth on dry ends. I also use it as a lip balm (this is a new thing, though, I seem to like it).

I'm interested in learning more about cooking with it. I looked at the sites that said how good it was for you - but I'm taking them with a grain of salt because they seem to have been produced by the coconut industry, which would have a vested interest in more people buying coconut oil. Even if the research they're rebutting was funded by other oil industries, I'd rather see some data from an impartial source. And 3-4 tablespoons of oil a day seems rather excessive to me. That's up to a quarter cup, and that doesn't count any fat you might get from other dietary sources.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Does it really keep the armpits from getting smelly? I seem to stink no matter how many times I wash my armpits and put on deodorant, I even use baking soda sometimes to keep the smell at bay but it doesn't last long.

As for my methods I just tie my hair up, slather the ponytail in coconut oil, then bun it up and wear it all day at work.

Yup, well it definately does me.....and i remember other members said the same thing before. I must be honest though, i don't really suffer with BO, i can get away with not putting anything under my arms after showering and not smell the next day, but i also use a tea tree natural cleanser there too.
But seeing as coconut oil kills bacteria and the odour is caused by bacteria it makes sense that it would work. I should add, i use virgin coconut oil there.

khyricat
April 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM
btw- as a dietetics student- there are some very well known dietetics researchers who espouse coconut oil for its nutritional benefits.. given that, and that I had to watch a tv episode about it for one of my classes with an interview with a lady I find fascinating for all her other research, I think its a good thing..

one interview with mary enig:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-616494190219208343&q=mary%2Benig&total=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

She is talking more about transfats, but mentions saturated fats like coconut oil in this one..

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_G._Enig
has a section on coconut oil especially

I do know that she is considered controversial, but her research is respected by others in her field.

Newniepg
April 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I bought a tub of coconut oil the other day, haven't used it on my hair yet (am saving it til after I use up my cone conditioners) but i put some on my legs after shaving. It seems to keep the bumpies away. I am having a bit of trouble with the concept of 'melting' it. Doesn't it just absorb into my hands if I leave it to go liquid in my palm?

Xepher
April 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Yup, well it definately does me.....and i remember other members said the same thing before. I must be honest though, i don't really suffer with BO, i can get away with not putting anything under my arms after showering and not smell the next day, but i also use a tea tree natural cleanser there too.
But seeing as coconut oil kills bacteria and the odour is caused by bacteria it makes sense that it would work. I should add, i use virgin coconut oil there.

The jars I have don't say virgin, they say 100% coconut oil...is that the same thing?

khyricat
April 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
well some will absorb into your hands, especially if they are dry, but they only take so much, the rest can go anywhere... I cover my entire body post bath with it...

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
The jars I have don't say virgin, they say 100% coconut oil...is that the same thing?

Ummm probably not....Virgin Coconut oil tends to like to make a big deal that it is ;)

It might still work though, best thing to do is give it a go.....the difference might only be that you smell of nothing there as opposed to smelling of coconuts.....but smelling of nothing is much better than BO hey, and if it works you could always add an essential oil or 2 for scent.

chrissy-b
April 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I use it as a finishing protector after my leave-in, a deep oil treatment and as part of my scalp massage oil. My hair loves coconut oil and I can apply it to both wet and dry hair for the same effect (which isn't true for other oils on my hair). I also use it on my face occasionally, and I use it to cook with.

Diamondgirl2003
April 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I just purchased a jar and after I showered I put on my wet hair by just running my finger across the solid top. As soon as I touched it, it melted and got oily quickly. A a lil' goes a long way so the excess on my hands I rubbed on my just shaved legs. Then after realizing that felt nice, I got some more and rubbed all over my body left me smooth and glowy!! My skin just soaked it up so before I left the house I wish I had put more! Also when my hair dried I mixed some with my dove define texture molding cream and placed between my index and middle finger and flipped my layers. My dove texture cream is a thick cream so the coconut oil was a great addition, and it moisturized my ends all the while!!!

My jar also says 100% Pure All Natural. I also says Non Hydrogenated 0g Trans Fat per serving does anyone know if it is Virgin Coconut oil? The brand is LouAna.

flapjack
April 20th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I use it on the ends of my hair before bed about twice per week. I use it to moisturize my face several times per week (I switch between this and vitamin e oil) and I use it in perfumes. I also use it as deodorant.

Hayat
April 21st, 2008, 01:04 PM
I just got a jar of 100% Extra Virgin Coconut oil this afternoon, and I have already covered my body in it. Seems like an excellent body lotion, as my skin absorbed it right away, and it seems to leave my skin really nice and smooth. I also put a little bit in my hairs ends (in dry hair), and I tried it also for my nails and cuticles.

So far, this oil seems like a really good all-round oil :)

Will try it later as a pre-wash treatment, by massaging my scalp and leave it over night. Will also try it as a leave-in for my ends after washing. Then I will apply when hair is still wet or damp. Excited to see the results!

(And of course I'll try it on my BF - that poor man, he has to live with me experimenting all this stuff on his hair and body... :D)

WritingPrincess
April 21st, 2008, 08:01 PM
So far, I've only used it as a leave in from one wash to the next. However, I haven't figured out how to put enough on without it being too much.

n3m3sis42
April 23rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
I mostly use it as a moisturizer for my face.

I occasionally use it on my hair, mostly when my hair is wet. I've found that if I oil my hair when it's not wet, it takes multiple washes to get it all out. And even if I just suck it up and deal with the greasies so as not to disrupt my wash schedule, my hair ends up feeling sort of dry after that.

So I've found that just a tiny amount on damp hair every now and then is best for me. :)

Oh, and DUH, I use it to oil my horn comb.

(And I am so trying that suggestion to use it as an underarm deodorizer. Thanks, ChloeDharma!)

SweetPea88
April 26th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I use Spectrum Organics Unrefined Coconut Oil (http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=205)...

-for heavy pre-wash treatments
-for lightly oiling my ends after washing
-for a face moisturizer
-on my feet before I go to bed (I wear socks on top and this works like magic!)
-on my nails and cuticles

feralnature
April 28th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees centagrade so those of you who are having trouble with clumps just need to warm it a small amount...then it has a very nice texture for hair or eating. I take my oil by the tablespoon by mouth and it is nice and melty. If the house gets chilly, it hardens.

asantegold
April 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I use coconut oil by:
- adding it to my deep conditioners (often)
- moisturizing my skin with it (occasionally)
- as a pre-poo (occasionally)

kwaniesiam
April 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Everywhere for everything. Hair, skin, makeup remover, to moisturize and keep my nails healthy, and it's awesome on popcorn :)

Gecko
May 2nd, 2008, 06:04 PM
I use it as a treatment before washing my hair and I'll add a little bit to leave-in conditioners.

Nynaeve
May 2nd, 2008, 06:21 PM
I miss my coconut oil.
When I finally get my car fixed, I'm going to have to go by the hippie store and get some to slather all over myself, mainly my hair. My hair misses it so much!!!!

n3m3sis42
June 16th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I finally tried coconut oil on toast this morning (as suggested by some people on this thread). All I have to say is YUM! It's like butter, only lighter (tasting) and more flavorful!

khyricat
June 17th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I've been doing the underarm thing.. it works!! and no more chemicals.. thank you!

curly girl fla
June 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I have Tree of Life 100%Organic Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil. That's all it says in the ingredients. But there's no smell at all. I would like to use this as an overnight deep treatment-is this the right stuff to use, and is it ok to slather it on dry, not cleansed, hair or is it better if I shampoo first? Thanks much!

busnutmedic
June 17th, 2008, 09:05 PM
After reading this thread (and since tomorrow is wash day) I just went and slathered some on my hair :D

Bonnie

khyricat
June 18th, 2008, 06:19 AM
as to coconut oil on hair.. for ME it doesn't work on dry hair.. just gives me crunchies, but it doesn't need to be clean hair, just damp, so steamed after a bath with hair up, or a mist from a mister is enough...

mommy2one05
June 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
I just bought a tub yesterday. It just says 100% coconut oil. It does not say extra virgin. Should I refrigerate it since it is hot enough that if left at room temperature most if not all of the tub will melt? I was disappointed that mine does not have a "coconut" smell.

n3m3sis42
June 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
I just bought a tub yesterday. It just says 100% coconut oil. It does not say extra virgin. Should I refrigerate it since it is hot enough that if left at room temperature most if not all of the tub will melt? I was disappointed that mine does not have a "coconut" smell.

My understanding is that it won't hurt the coconut oil any if it melts at room temperature. It's plenty hot here in Atlanta, but I guess we run our air conditioner fairly heavily and our bedroom (where I keep my coconut oil) is very well shaded. So far, my coconut oil has stayed solid.

I can't imagine that keeping it refrigerated could hurt it, though.

burns_erin
June 23rd, 2008, 08:22 AM
I keep mine refrigerated. Then just chip bits off and rub between my palms to warm. It keeps me from using too much.

Belisama
June 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM
I use coconut oil on my ends at night, as the bottom few inches is all the remains of my time when I used bottled dye, so they dry out quickly. The coconut oil absorbs during the night the next morning my ends feel wonderful. Soft and silky. Unfortunately I am not as mindful of doing this nightly as I should be, :rolleyes: but when I do remember, I am quite happy.

However, this weekend I discovered that coconut oil under my eyes is not a good thing. I had recently read that someone used it to help with dark circles and thought to give it a try to see if it would do any good. Well, with one application, my nose ran all day long, my eyes kept watering up and tearing down my face, and my eyes felt heavy and tired. :-( It was a rather miserable day. Didn't put any on the next day, not one issue. Definitely will be sticking with sunflower oil for my face. Glad I figured that out before I tried using it all over my body for a lotion alternative.

Ohio Sky
July 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I love to use coconut oil on my skin as a moisturizer, but I find it takes a really long time to soak in. Anyone else stay greasy for an hour or more when you use it?

sibilum
July 8th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I have been using it on my hair for the past year. My hair is in great condition and split-end free! I remember my hair (which is naturally dry) was very prone to split ends. I use in light oilings between washing and an occasional heavy oiling overnight.

Now, reading all these posts I will try eating it too, I also have to loose all the weight I have gained after I went back to college last year.

dor3girl
July 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM

I LOVE all your tips! I haven't tried coconut oil on my face (just EVOO)...sounds interesting!

Lady Verity
July 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM
This is probably a very obvious question, so feel free to ignore or delete it, but...

Does it weigh your hair down or make it appear greasy if you lightly oil it without washing it out? I'm light-blonde and it tends to be obvious in a negative way if I have any product in my hair. I've ordered some coconut oil so I'm looking forward to experimenting.

flapjack
July 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
It does make the blonde in my hair appear darker (kind of like when it looks when it's damp) when it's in. Especially in the first 12 hours or so. When my hair soaks it up, it's back to the normal color.

julya
July 9th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I just picked up some coconut oil today, and wow, it sure smells great! I oiled up my hair pretty heavily and braided it for the night. Hopefully at least some of it will soak by morning as wash day is still a few days away.

tiny_teesha
July 9th, 2008, 04:45 AM
I use it to lull my bird into doing party tricks...he looooves coconut oil!!

brixxgirl16
July 9th, 2008, 11:00 AM
I 1) put it on my braid tassels to protect the ends
2) use it in cookies that have coconut for an extra flavor boost
3) apply it to my hair before I go to bed for a little more moisture in the morning
4) use it as lotion/body oil
5) melt some in my bathwater to make it smell nice

Elanor
July 10th, 2008, 10:59 PM
-I use it as pre-poo / pre-CO
-I put it in my ends to protect them
-I sometimes add it to my conditioner
-I use it as body lotion and nail cream
-I eat it on my oatmeal - yum!

lady_hero
July 11th, 2008, 09:06 AM
What a great thread, Stagecoach!

I use Cocoanut Oil on my ends after I CO. I also use it as a lotion on my skin. I have horrible exema (sp?) and cocoanut oil seems to clear it up quickly.

Faepirate
July 12th, 2008, 07:26 AM
brixxgirl16 I do like the idea of melting it in bathwater! I imagine that's nice a moisturising as well. Ooooh I want a coconutty bath now! :D Maybe I will try this tonight.

I use coconut as a pre-wash oily smothering (so much my hair practically drips with it!).

I also use it sparingly between washes on the ends. I put enough on just to give it a sheen but not make it stringy, then I put my hands under running water and use my hair as a towel to make it very slightly damp.

I use it on my skin as kind of a shaving oil when I shave my legs and armpits (my skin is sensitive and reeeeally doesn't like store-bought shaving cream).

I don't use it on my face, ever. It makes me break out something awful. Plus, itchy. Bleh.

I use it on the soles of my feet after a shower. Still not sure if this does anything. I haven't been doing it for long. But my feet are really dry so I thought I'd give it a go, since nothing else seems to be working.

I used it as a deororant for a while. It worked ok, mmm coconutty armpits. :]

Mine is unrefined so I cook with it too. Sometimes. When I remember. Usually only when I make Indian or Thai dishes. But I'd happily use it for baking as well.

That's all I can think of right now. I do love coconut oil. :) But for my hair it only seems to work if I use it either very sparingly or massive amounts of it i.e. soaking it! In between those two extremes, just no. Hair rebels.

Goose
November 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
From reading several posts - it looks like people may have different methods of using coconut oil... I am interested in trying some of them....Please share your method

(ex: on dry, wet, damp hair...root to tip or ends only....overnight or just a little while....how often do you use it)

You get the drift.....I need steps please :D Newbie here...

eadwine
November 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Just the ends lately, I do that in the morning on dry hair and then put the hair up and leave it all day. Next morning I feel the ends and if they are feeling a bit dry still more goes on and repeat. I wash it out once a week, and my hair loves this :)

It doesn't matter if the ends look very greasy, I do a braided nautilus bun so the ends are hidden under it :)

Aisha25
November 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I use coconut oil on dry hairs and on scalp and I apply alot too so I am not really good for following:o.Applying it to wet hairs does not work for me. Even after head bath I have to wait till they dry to apply oil:).

Dolly
November 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I try to deep oil about once a week. I do this in the evening, before bed, and leave it in overnight. I apply heavily on my hair from the ears down, and then either braid it or put it in a bun near the top of my head. Take it down and wash the next morning. Whether you do it dry or wet is going to be a matter of trying both and seeing what works best for you. My haier does best when I apply it to dry hair.

RocketDog
November 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I use coconut oil in my honey treatment, and then I do a once-weekly deep oiling with plain refined oil as well.

I spritz my hair with water then apply about 1/4 cup of oil, concentrating on the ends, keeping the oil about 2" off my scalp. I then bun/twist my hair up on the crown of my head, secure it with a little claw-clippy, and go to sleep. I shampoo and condition the following morning, paying special attention to shampooing my scalp while just letting the suds rinse down the length of my hair - I try to keep at least a little of the coconut oil in my hair to help tame frizzies (I'm curly-wurly and prone to flyaway fluff).

I found that applying it to just-damp hair works best; when I applied it to dry hair it made my hair feel 'crunchy' and it didn't seem to penetrate the shaft, and when I apply it to WET hair it's too messy.

jojo
November 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
For me I apply my oil (coconut and sweet almond are my favorites) like one drop rubbed between my hands and applied to the bottom 3 inches, this I do on dry hair every morning. Once a week I wet my hair and apply oil on my scalp and heavily on my hair, I leave overnight and then wash out in the morning.

Periwinkle
November 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I made a thread about dry ends a while ago and received advice to only oil on wet hair. That has helped me, so now I oil my hair with a fingernailfull (though I do have long nails) of oil when it's about 75% wet. Occasionally, I oil before my next wash and mist afterwards.

In the past, I've oiled much more heavily than that, but I think that dry oiling and cold weather just isn't a good combination for me.

AJoifulNoise
November 12th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I scrape a little out of the jar, rub it between my hands, and apply it from my ears down after I wash my hair.

lyria
November 12th, 2008, 12:08 PM
HI there fellow newbie!

I did my first coconut oil experiment a few weeks ago and loved it. I use "spectrum" coconut oil for a deep conditioning treatment before showering it all out.

I scooped about 2 table spoons from the jar and put tham in a short glass. I put the glass in a bowl full of hot water so the water would slowly warm and melt the coconut oil without mixing into it. As the oil melted I rubbed it between my hands to work out chunks and then spread over my hair from roots to tips concentrating on the ends. I put the whole mess up in a loosly held jaw clip under saran wrap and a shower cap. I left this in for about 7 hours (one great way to make 7 hours of paper writing more rewarding!)

Afterwards I showered shampooing twice (to make sure there was no residual oil) and then using conditioner. I shower befroe bed and sleep with wet hair, but when I got up the next morning my hair was soft and shiny (and didn't smell like coconuts - though my room did for a few hours).

good luck and let us know what works!:cheer:

Eryka
November 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Generally I use Coconut Oil as a deep treatment. In the past when I've used it after a shower just as a leave in its been a bit heavy. Then again, with winter here that may be a good thing.

On the subject of dry or wet, I can do it both ways but it seems to work better damp. Its not something I always have the patience for but, it does work.

In my experience, Coconut oil requires more time to work than other oils, at least on my hair. I get the best results heavily oiling for 2 days before wash. Just my experience though.

Eden Iris
November 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Once or twice a week (more if the weather is dry) I scrape a fingernailful out of the jar, rub it between my palms and gently glide them over the last six to eight inches of my hair. If it's wash day, my hair is toweled dry; otherwise it's only slightly damp from the shower steam.

Experiment! Worst thing that could happen is you get some deep conditioning you didn't expect, and it all washes out.

Melisande
November 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I use coconut oil only mixed with other things. Cocaloe creme, i.e., coconut oil mixed with aloe vera gel, is very good for my ends. I whipped it up myself and it's good. There are two store bought coconut oil products that I love and use regularly.

Dabur Vatika is coconut oil with Indian herbs and plant extracts. It has a strong, citrusy scent and it's wonderful for deep treatments of scalp and hair. It makes my hair stronger.

Monoi Tiare is a mixture from Tahiti with flowers and vanilla. Somehow the ingredients of the flower (or the vanilla??) make the oil much softer and gentler than normal coconut oil (that makes my hair crunchy and stringy). I love it for my ends and also for my skin.

I use oils on damp or nearly dry or totally dry hair. My hair loves Dabur and Monoi oils in every setting.

My experience with oils is that your hair changes, and so does its reaction to oil. If one thing doesn't work today, don't insist. Try it again in three months. My hair reacted to every drop of oil with extreme stringiness when I began my experiments with oil. Today, it sucks oil up and tolerates much more kinds of oil. I have no rational explanation for this phenomenon. But for a newbie, it might be an encouraging piece of information. Don't throw any new oil away, it might come handy in another month or two ;-)

GibsonGirlV
November 12th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I've been using coconut oil for about a year now and It has been absolutely splendid. There are several different ways to use it, and different techniques work best for people with different hair types.

If I want to deep condition my hair, I use the technique where I put some in a shot glass and sometimes add other oils such as jojoba oil or olive oil, then heat it up a bit. I don't measure it or anything. I usually spritz my hair with water first so it's slightly damp, then I saturate the length of my hair with the warm oil. I leave it in anywhere from an hour or so to overnight.

to "oil" my hair after showering when my hair is about half dry (maybe more maybe less), I scoop a tiny bit of oil with my fingernail and rub it between my palms so my hands are glossy, then I rub the oil into my ends. I tend to do this mostly in the winter because in the summer humidity it barely takes anything to make my hair look stringy and too oily.

Of course I also love to slather coconut oil all over my body. I even use it on my face sometimes (i've never had a problem with it clogging pores). It is truly one of the most wonderful hair/body products I have ever come across. I don't know how I lived before it.

Of all the oils I have tried so far (olive, jojoba, sesame, sweet almond) coconut oil is my favourite. It doesn't make my ends brittle, it doesn't weight my hair down, and it doesn't make it stringy looking. It just makes my hair soft and shiny.

CaityBear
November 12th, 2008, 02:29 PM
I usually use the coconut oil after my shower when my hair is still wet. I usually shower in the morning. Sometimes I put it on dry hair for the night.

Fantak
November 12th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I usually use it on dry hair but will sometimes put a little on wet hair (when I do I still have to put more on when it's dry).

I split my dry hair into two sections and scrape about a nail size amount of coconut oil out of the jar. I warm it between my hands and then run my hands through the first section of hair concentrating on the ends. Sometimes I'll add a little more oil to make sure the ends are well oiled. I then do the same for the other section.

I then do a heavy oiling before washing, which usually includes my scalp. I'll leave this on for anything from 5 minutes to an hour depending on the time I have.

This is a very useful LHC article on hair oiling I hope it helps ^.^
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71

maliha
November 12th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Coconut oil is something i am using since forever i can remember,,
I use it on dry hair and wet hair both ,,applying it in moderation on scalp and lengths both..
It makes hair strong and glossy :)
Its a good practise to follow hot towel after applying oil,,
Hope you find the best way which suits you :)

Chromis
November 12th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Coconut oil on hand. Hand on hair. Done!

I use a dab of the fingertips in it when it is liquid or a small scrape when solid, then rub my hands together. I apply to scalp daily to smooth frizzies and to the rest of my hair when I recall to or else it just gets brushed there from the scalp.

Oberon88
November 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I sort of have the same question as the OP, but coconut oil sometimes makes my hair crunchy. Why is that?
I love it for my skin though. I have the driest skin in the world and it really helps.

Calanthe
November 12th, 2008, 11:25 PM
I use it on dry hair only and then mainly on dry ends. One or two drops is way enough for me as more weighs my hair down. Ususally I run my hands downwards from the ears right down to the ends after oiling the ends, simply to use up the rest of my oil still on my hands.

Fantak
November 13th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I sort of have the same question as the OP, but coconut oil sometimes makes my hair crunchy. Why is that?
I love it for my skin though. I have the driest skin in the world and it really helps.

Different types of hair reacts differently to different oils. Coconut oil is one of the few oils scientifically proven to be penetrate hair, this may be where your problem lies. Maybe you need an oil that provides a protective coating rather than one that penetrates the hair.

A lot of people on LHC who haven't had success with coconut oil seem to have had success with jojoba oil. In the end it really is all trial and error and what your hair doesn't like in the winter it might love in the summer ^.^

Bianca
November 13th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I use it on damp hair so it holds in the moisture, That's what I heard anyway :p It works great. I got a compliment from my mother after I started using it. She wants some too now :)

chickpea
November 13th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I mostly use coconut oil before washing, saturating my hair with the oil and leaving it in for a few hours.

When I use cassia for a conditioning treatment, I like to add coconut oil & honey to the mix. If I just use cassia with water my hair feels crunchy after.

plainjanegirl
December 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM
My legs are so not liking the cold weather. Wonder if coconut oil will help them. I am gonna have to try this.

liz08
December 8th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Coconut oil is just great stuff. It's of course great as a moisturizer....sometimes use it before washing and conditioning, and sometimes in place of regular conditioner. It's also great as a skin moisturizer (and contrary to what you might think, it is good for the skin and will not make the face oily), for use after shaving, for cooking, and on and in food. It's good in coffee or tea, or in smoothies. There are so many health benefits to taking it.

sibylla
December 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Before washing day a drench my hair from roots till tops with Coco nut oil and sleep with it. I massage my hair for a long time befor going to bed. On washing day I wash the whole hair with henna scampoo and leave aloe condish in for 10 min before ACV.

RedFrizz
December 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM
I'm in love with Coconut Oil :love:. I use it in deep oil (leave it in my braided hair over night) & hot oil treatments, I wash my face with it, use it as a moisturizer for face and body, use it as a leave-in for my ends and as a pre-wash oil-soak, cook with it, feed it to our cat (she loooves it and it makes her fur so shiny and healthy) & spread it on toast. Absolutely fantastic stuff :) Oh, and also I mix it in my henna-mix for extra moisture. And I make soap out of it!

Lady Verity
December 13th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I use it on the surgical scar on my leg. It's fairly fresh - only about a month old - and since I've been rubbing coconut oil into it, it's been healing uber fast. I read it's meant to reduce scarring.

I also comb a little oil through my hair when it's damp and slather a lot on before bed, braiding it before sleep. Are the results meant to build up over time? I'm yet to see any exciting results.

venividibxtchy
December 13th, 2008, 06:00 AM
My legs seem to like it, but my hair does not -- at least not on a day-to-day basis. I've used it for deep treatments, but I always end up using too much, and it ends up being two washings before my hair feels "right" again. I also am not fond of the smell in the long-term (at least, to wear out), but I don't really mind it as a treatment.

How much should I put in a bathtub full of water for moisturizing purposes? If I don't measure, I'm sure I'll overdo it.

Jiffa Jaffa
December 20th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I regularly oil my hair, either with coconut oil or almond oil and leave it in for a good few hours - however, I have to shampoo at least twice to make sure I have washed it all out, so i sort of feel like i am stripping away all the moisture that the oil has given me and my hiar doesnt really feel that moisturised afterwards. I must admit that I tend to use Lush liquid shampoos to wash out oil which have quite a lot of citrus ingredients in which may contibute to the dryness... i have SLS free shampoos but i dont think these wash out the oil very well at all in my experience. what do you all use to wash out your oil?

LawyerGirl
December 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I use it all the time.... on dry hair, on wet hair... my hair really loves it. Usually I will take a little and smooth it over my hair before I go to bed, and then shower in the morning. I also use it on my face and body, and my skin loves it too.

Linda K
January 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM

How much are you putting on your hair? Could it be too little?
I eat it in/on everything - even in my coffee - anything to ingest it!
I have some in a flip top bottle. When I start the shower, I fill a large glass with hot water, drop the bottle in to warm while I adjust the temp and shower. Then a quarter size in the palm does my 'upper' half. I then swipe down my hair before getting another quarter size puddle to finish - then swipe through my hair again. It has saved my damaged straw feeling hair from that thing that goes 'snip, snip snip, snip ..." :D

I believe a big part of the benefit comes from using it in my diet. About a year after starting, I didn't worry about getting oiled when done with the shower. BUT: When I ran out it only took 2.5 months for cravings & itchy skin to come back, hair got drier feeling even though I stepped it back up the shower.
(I only use Tropical Traditions-Phillipines. My supplier had trouble getting it in the gallon bucket so it was back-ordered over 3 months.)

Side note: It's also a metabolism & weight regulator. It's hard to get back into that routine again

Linda K
January 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
[quote=jojo;396]I use it as an overnight oil, face moisturiser, I eat 2 tablespoons a day normally in my morning porridge or on toast, great in a jacket potato too. It helps get rid of candida of the gut and is very good for people with thyroid problems. I couldn't lose weight for love nor money started to eat it and have lost 9lbs in 3 weeks and I guess anything which is good enough to eat is good enough for my hair!

JoJo: I agree the health benefits are tremendous. No sinus infections for 2 years! No itchy skin or cravings!
I lost 80lb in 18-24 months. Minimum of 5 TBSP/day. Even in the coffee. Whatever it took to get it ingested. The focus was on steamed veggies with some meat. Yes, a sloppy greasy burger and fries from time to time. I crept up a little this fall when I was out for 4 months - hard to get the veggie intake back up :o. 2 sinus infections and 2 rounds of anti-biotics. We know what that does with Candida! I bought a 5 gallon bucket this time. 1 gal last about 3 months. I get mine here - most consistent product. (Never a rancid bite!) : http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

GlassEyes
January 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I use it on my hair for oilings, in SMT's, mixed in Fox's Shea Butter Leave-in, and on my face. ^_^

The extra virgin is good mixed with honey on toast as well. Or pancakes. xD

rapunzhell13
January 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I use a small amount on my damp hair. It makes it sooo soft, not to mention smell DIVINE. :cloud9:

Fairlight63
January 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM
Where do you buy coconut oil at? I looked in the grocery store (Piggly Wiggly) here & I didn't see it. I looked in the isle where they sell Olive Oil.

Chromis
January 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
I found a new use for coconut oil (to me anyhow lol)! Adhesive remover! I had to wear a 48-hour Holter Monitor with involves having sensors attached all over your upper torso. They use the same ones as the stress tests so it is *very* strong adhesive and pretty waterproof. By smearing on coconut oil as I peeled them off they were much easier and less painful to remove!

I'm a wuss about even band-aids so I'll be using this trick again! It also removed the residual sticky goop wonderfully too :D

AJoifulNoise
January 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Where do you buy coconut oil at? I looked in the grocery store (Piggly Wiggly) here & I didn't see it. I looked in the isle where they sell Olive Oil.

I got mine at a local health food store.

Loviatar
January 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
I keep 2 kinds. The refined fractionated liquid stuff that smnells of nothing, and a huge jar of virgin organic stuff that smells of coconut and is solid.

The liquid stuff I use at my BF's place to oil my night braid, and sometimes I use a dab on wet hair. I once tried removing eye make up with this stuff and OMG the pain. Never again. I can and do however use it around my eyes and on my face as a night oil.

The solid good-smelling kind I use for:

moisturising my KP areas on my upper arms (this is really good, my bumps are disappearing with CO and salt or sugar scrubs)
rubbing into wet hair (it drinks it up much better than the liquid kind)
oiling braids for shine
oiling post-shave legs and other areas, but not underarms for some reason
pre-shampoo oilings, although I prefer avocado or some other thick liquid oil for that
facial moisturising poil under my regular cream
hand moisturiser
oiling my horn combs and wooden sticks

And I sometimes nom a bit, too, as it tastes yummy. Haven't progressed to properly eating 2 tbsp or whatever, but I plan to. Sadly BF thinks it tastes of soap :lol:

Arfed
January 22nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
You can get it off of EBay, which is where I got it from.

HennaFaerie
January 23rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
I've used coconut oil before for massage, but never really used it for skin or hair until tonight. I AM IN LOVE! :heartbeat I soaked my hair with it for about 3 hours and used my poo bar to wash it away. I cannot believe the difference! It's so soft and shiney, and suprisingly not stringy and oily looking. I also used it on my body, except for my face (I use aloe only on my face). My skin is so quenched - I'm lovin' it!

lynnala
January 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM
It makes a great deodorant! Has mellie posted in this thread yet? She uses it all alone as a deodorant, I use it mixed with baking soda. Mellie also discovered that coconut oil made a persistent rash disappear. I also use it for everything else, hair, face, body.

KatKeRo
January 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
It makes a great deodorant! Has mellie posted in this thread yet? She uses it all alone as a deodorant, I use it mixed with baking soda. Mellie also discovered that coconut oil made a persistent rash disappear. I also use it for everything else, hair, face, body.
When I use it as deodorant I use it also without baking soda or anything in it.
When I shave my armpits it's also great to calm the rashes.

Sissy
January 24th, 2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-Oil-54-Ounce/dp/B000GAT6NG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1232830394&sr=1-1
That is the coconut oil I use. I use it all over my body and hair a couple times each week. I use it before bed by applying it to my whole body and hair. I drench my hair with it and then put on a shower cap and do heavy overnight oilings. It really works a treat for me!

Katla
January 24th, 2009, 04:31 PM
... That's a lot of uses for coconut oil :surprise: I just bought a jar of the stuff and I was worried it would take so long to use it all that it would get nasty before I got to the bottom of it. It looks like I'll get busy trying out some of those ideas instead, now.

Sissy
January 24th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Could it be the quality of coconut oil you're using? Cheap Superdrug coconut oil made my hair a bit crunchy at the ends. I didn't know how much better real cold pressed, organic, unrefined coocnut oil was until I tried it recently. Now my hair never feels crunchy with it.

Elphie
January 24th, 2009, 08:39 PM
... That's a lot of uses for coconut oil :surprise: I just bought a jar of the stuff and I was worried it would take so long to use it all that it would get nasty before I got to the bottom of it. It looks like I'll get busy trying out some of those ideas instead, now.

I thought the same thing when I first bought mine, rather than winding up with a jar that could go rancid before ever finishing it, I found other uses that I can't live without now! Just finished my first in only a few months and went out for my second.

Katla
January 25th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I thought the same thing when I first bought mine, rather than winding up with a jar that could go rancid before ever finishing it, I found other uses that I can't live without now! Just finished my first in only a few months and went out for my second.

That sounds great :D Almond oil I'll get used in no time (my hair loves it before a wash) but I'll admit I did spend a while staring at that jar of coconut oil and thinking I'd never get through it if I only used it for braid-shine.

Sihda
January 25th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I love my coconut oil! I use quite a lot of it in wet hair to define my curls. When applying it I don't need any perfume. It's fragrance is just gourgeous! I wish it was edible! :D

plainjanegirl
January 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I love my coconut oil! I use quite a lot of it in wet hair to define my curls. When applying it I don't need any perfume. It's fragrance is just gourgeous! I wish it was edible! :D

I think coconut oil is edible. People use it in cooking and also some use on their toast instead of butter.

Sissy
January 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think coconut oil is edible. People use it in cooking and also some use on their toast instead of butter.

mmmm... coconut oil. If you buy the food quality coconut oil it is edible. Mine is extra virgin, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil and it's quite nice smelling and tasting.

Speaking of recipes for it... I wonder how baby carrots with coconut oil instead of butter/margarine would taste? Anyone ever tried using coconut oil instead of butter for their cooked veggies?

LittleLlama
January 25th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Speaking of recipes for it... I wonder how baby carrots with coconut oil instead of butter/margarine would taste? Anyone ever tried using coconut oil instead of butter for their cooked veggies?

There's a book called Nourishing Traditions which calls for "raw" and "whole" ingredients. I think coconut oil is a primary substitute for a lot of things.

KatKeRo
January 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I also make a sugarscrub with my coconut oil: half coconut oil, half brown sugar.
Scrub your body when still wet from the shower and rinse. Afterwards you have soft skin.

Sissy
January 25th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I also make a sugarscrub with my coconut oil: half coconut oil, half brown sugar.
Scrub your body when still wet from the shower and rinse. Afterwards you have soft skin.

oh, that sounds lovely!! :)

Elphie
January 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Excellent idea about the scrub! I like finding more ways to use it!

Leia's_Advocate
March 18th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I use it on my hair as a leave-in conditioner

I use it on my lips as a simple solution for chapping

I use a little on my face before washing it to help clear out blackheads, and I put a little on afterwards for dry spots

I also use it as a massage oil - leaves skin super-soft afterwards. My boyfriend loves it. This might be TMI, but on a similar note it actually makes a really good personal lubricant(I hear you shouldn't use it with condoms, though).

janeytilllie
March 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I love coconut oil :crush:its one of the main things I use in my beauty routine :)
I use it for

1. conditoner and leave in for my hair
2. I oil my ends every night with it
3. Face moisturizer
4. Lip Balm
5. Make up remover
6. I use it on my dog tobys' coat
7. I eat it! YUM!
8. Body lotion
9. Hand, nail and foot cream
10. deodorant

Milui Elenath
March 19th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Wow! Someone read my mind. I was looking up coconut oil the other day and didn't have time to sift through LHC many threads. :) I've come back today and see this. :D
It's been great to read what you are all using it for, the body scrub is a great one - I usually use castor sugar with cleanser, I never thought to use oil.

I used to use coconut years ago I don't know why I stopped but I will be off to the health food shop on Sat to get some more.

BTW I read in my internet searches coconut oil is good for Alzheimers.

Wind-in-Tree
March 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Very good thread! It is interesting to see all the different uses for coconut oil.
After reading about it on this forum, Santa brought me a jar of unrefined, organic coconut oil which I use everyday now. And I am very hapoy with it, would not want to be without it anymore.
I do have a question though, maybe it has already been asked but I have read through half of the replies and did see the same question pop up twice but no answer to it.
Besides I am impatient, working on that by the way :eyebrows:.....

My question is: How come some of the coconut oils seem to smell great and "coconutty" and some don't.
Mine smells like nothing or has, maybe very vaguely, a nutty smell.
I would love to smell more "coconutty" .

What makes the oil actually smell like coconut, or not?

AcadieAnne
March 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Another 'as a leave-in' person here. Love this stuff. Beats the pants off of Extra Strength Frizzease, Biosilk, and all the other junk I used to use. DH says it is the best thing I've ever put on my hair, and I'm inclined to agree.

SmellyJelly
March 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I use it before I shampoo and a very little after, I find it works well with my hair :)

SmellyJelly
March 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Very good thread! It is interesting to see all the different uses for coconut oil.
After reading about it on this forum, Santa brought me a jar of unrefined, organic coconut oil which I use everyday now. And I am very hapoy with it, would not want to be without it anymore.
I do have a question though, maybe it has already been asked but I have read through half of the replies and did see the same question pop up twice but no answer to it.

My question is: How come some of the coconut oils seem to smell great and "coconutty" and some don't.

Mine starts to smell horrible if I have left it on for ages, I heard that the organic coconut oil doesn't smell bad. Also I heard that if it smells like coconut it's had a perfume added to it. :)

GlennaGirl
March 19th, 2009, 11:25 PM

I LOVE the smell of my coconut oil. It smells exactly like macaroons. I use EFAGold.

princess
March 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
We use it in our cooking too. Nowadays just using it for seasoning like adding a spoonful to cooked vegetables in coconut gravy or heating a spoonful in the pan adding mustard seeds to it till they spluter and crackle and adding it to curries. It gives a wonderful flavour.

We used to deep fry using coconut oil but not any more.

Other than that it is used as a base for making herbal hair oils for oil massage and bath.

RancheroTheBee
March 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I used to use it as a straight leave-in, but it left my hair crunchy. Then, I started putting into a massage-oil recipe I came up with, and having it on my scalp is pure heaven.

:laugh: It's also great in soup!

(Seriously. If you get those canned chicken noodle soups, put some coconut oil in it. It makes it taste like butter and chicken. Nice!)

tabitie
March 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Re lauric oils like coconut and breast milk:

[quote=Elfling;1357]your body *does* process them slightly differently than other fats/oils and there is a small metabolic increase. Your body adjusts after about a week however and there is no more actual boost.quote]

Elfing, where is the data that proves this?

Studies show breast-fed babies are less likely to be obese than non, as adults. This would suggest the effects of lauric oil deficiency are permanent and don't just "adjust" away. Likewise for adding them back into your diet as a supplement.

It seems there is quite an overwhelming anecdotal tide in favor of this weight loss angle, and it doesn't just go away in a few days. Where is your proof to the contrary?

tabitie
March 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Well, let me start by saying that I'm often willing to be my own human guinea pig . . . I use my own body for many experiments that later end up benefitting my family . . . at least the successful ones.

So early this fall I was looking into many different natural bathing methods and also a way to use an abundance of turmeric I had on hand for cooking.... Now I will admit that I did read somewhere a caution about fair skinned people taking on the yellowish color of the turmeric but that this wasn't a huge issue for dark skinned people. But I reasoned . . . how bad could it be?

Happened to me too, Silver-n-Gold. I kid you not. "HOLD THE TUMERIC!"

Didn't look as good as a fake tan either... because fake tan's aren't greenish.

Took about a day to wear off, with lotsa scrubbing.

creativehoney
May 12th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I just got some for my hair and the container was huge. I'm glad I found this thread, I was looking for more uses!!
My first new use for it is lip gloss!! Put it under lip stick. Works awesome.

creativehoney
May 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ok I posted before I finished reading this thread...I'm on page 8 can't stop reading this I'm totally intrigued
and so I am outside and this bee will not leave me alone...I have cco in my hair right now. Its like stalking me or something!! Gosh, I wanted to try honey n my hair but if a bee is stalking me over cco I'm wondering what it will do for the honey!

Anyways, big ups to all of you for these tips they are amazing!!
I think I want to try them ALL!!
And if bees are attracted to me over the cco so "bee" it haha (as long as it doesn't sting me.)
Its so worth it!

Madame J
May 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
It makes a great substitute for butter in baked goods because it has a rich flavor. I want to try it as an oil to cook veggies and meats for curries.

But, yeah, beauty-wise. I rub a teeny bit on the ends of my hair after I wash it. I use it as a body moisturizer. I use it to tame my eyebrows and define my eyelashes before I curl them. I mixed coconut oil with tea tree oil for a facial moisturizer and deodorant.

I used to use it as a pre-oil treatment, before I got NightBlooming's Triple Moon oil. I want to get some clove and peppermint oil and see if I can make my own version of Tiger Balm with coconut oil as a base instead of petrolatum.

That's about it for now.

JKRBeloved
May 13th, 2009, 10:20 PM
My first new use for it is lip gloss!! Put it under lip stick. Works awesome.

Awesome idea! Can't wait to try it. Actually, I'm getting up right now to try it. Thanks.

SimplyLonghair
May 13th, 2009, 10:37 PM
It seems like I find more ways to use it almost daily. I am in love with how it makes both my hair and skin feel. For me though I really love the virgin oil so much better than the refined. I love the smell and it seems to soak in better for me. :D

GoddesJourney
May 13th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I prefer to put a lot of it throughout my hair and braid it the morning of the day I'm going to wash it. Then I take a long walk in the sun with my dog and then shower it out when I come home, trying not to rinse all of it out. I have actually put it on my dog's hair after a bath because I had to blow dry her. We went to the beach way to late in the afternoon for her to be able to air dry outside before coming back in. We use the unscented on for our skin and hair (my mom and I and sometimes the dog).

We use the food grade one for cooking vegetables, crepes, etc. It handles higher temperatures from what I understand. Also, it's really good spread like butter over fresh bread. Sooooo tasty. I can't get enough.

:D

creativehoney
May 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Awesome idea! Can't wait to try it. Actually, I'm getting up right now to try it. Thanks.

Good, hope it worked. I think it makes the lipstick go on smoothly and when it absorbs it makes the lipstick set. I wear very light ones and they tend to wear away quick, but for some reason mine stays on longer if I do this first.

Fethenwen
May 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have also noticed the benefits of using it as a lip gloss/lip balm. I also cook with it, mostly when I make thai food.
I use it on my hair like an overnight treatment, but I have yet a bit of problems with it. Maybe I use too much... it is really hard to wash out of my hair. I look like a grease ball for two days :(

Edit: like today is one of those days

creativehoney
May 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I use it on my hair like an overnight treatment, but I have yet a bit of problems with it. Maybe I use too much... it is really hard to wash out of my hair. I look like a grease ball for two days :(

Edit: like today is one of those days

I stay away from my roots with it and I noticed if I put it on nearly dry hair I can see if im putting too much.
I do a tiny bit at first then wait till it dries and more if it needs it.
I cowash only and mine out and it comes out all the way....

Maybe Try that. I read somewhere in here that conditioner actually works better for getting it out all of the way.
:)
I want to start cooking with it too. I'm gong to try some brownies with cco and flax seed meal in the place of the oil. I
Can't wait to see if they come out with a coconut flavor!

Fethenwen
May 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hmm yeah, I just read about the CO wash thing. I think I will try to wash it with just that next time after an oiling:)

Good luck with the coconut cooking!

Evilynn
May 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Hmm, I suppose skipping the CO last night after trying to wash out the coconut oil from my hair wasn't such a smart idea after all. :P I look like an oil slick, except on the left side of my canopy where it seems to have absorbed more oil (that is the most damaged part of my hair, so I suppose that makes sense).

I had no idea it could be beneficial for Keratosis Pilaris! Now I'm going to exchange the EVOO (or thistle oil) in my sugar and salt scrubs with EVCO and see if it improves the bumps on my arms.

Brilliant thread. :)

creativehoney
May 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hmm, I suppose skipping the CO last night after trying to wash out the coconut oil from my hair wasn't such a smart idea after all. :P I look like an oil slick, except on the left side of my canopy where it seems to have absorbed more oil (that is the most damaged part of my hair, so I suppose that makes sense).

I don't know why its not coming out of some of yalls hair.
I do cowash and don't even let it sit on my hair through my whole shower. And the coconut oil comes outta mine.

Maybe some of the shampoos contain cones??

I bet if you applied a little heat to the puffy side of your hair with the coconut oil on and wash the next day it would even it out.

I learned that the other day. I was freezing in here the other day when it was raining out and I was sitting in front of the little space heater, so I was like "I wonder if this heat would make my hair absorb the oil anybetter" so I was just sitting there on the floor in front of it bored anyway,
And I was letting the warm heat hit my hair all over (front and back, top and bottom) while finger combing through it and the next day after washing and my normal routine, my hair was all really flowing together nicely. I think it worked.

I don't know if I would recommend sittng under a heat dryer for too long because it can get really hot.
But I'm a newbie at all this so I could be wrong.

I should have proof read this before posting :p I've had to edit this twice already! Sorry about the errors.

cynthia.md
May 19th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I smooth a tsp or so over my hair from the ears down a few minutes before hopping into the shower on a wash day.

Sasha_S
May 19th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I use it as a shine syrum, and I also use it as an all-over body moisturiser if I'm feeling indulgent!

Nypsy
May 22nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I use it to heavily oil my hair and leave it overnight, to lightly oil my hair, as a deodorant, and I put it on my legs after I shave.

silviya
February 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
SO about 8 months ago i used to be obsessed with coconut oil. Because i cannot eat it straight but knew how good for you it was i bought it in a capsule form and took that.
Though my moms friend is a scientist. She used to work for Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Anyway she is very smart, scientist working in hospital under microscope and all that stuff. She is also very natural person she eats raw and use only natural cosmetics. So i asked her about coconut oil, and she said there is no medical/science proof that is good for you. In fact i am not sure what exactly she said, but something that it actually bad for you if you eat it.
Dont get me wrong i love coconut oil infact i have it on my hair for overnight treatment. But after what my friend told me i dont eat it as much anymore. I dont know who to trust no more. Whats written, or what is someone who is actually an insider and who knows more..
Just thought to share this..

rogue_psyche
February 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I oil before bed the night before wash day. If my arms and legs get ashy I use it instead of lotion. I prefer lighter oils for leave ins and on my face.

catysue
February 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM
SO about 8 months ago i used to be obsessed with coconut oil. Because i cannot eat it straight but knew how good for you it was i bought it in a capsule form and took that.
Though my moms friend is a scientist. She used to work for Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Anyway she is very smart, scientist working in hospital under microscope and all that stuff. She is also very natural person she eats raw and use only natural cosmetics. So i asked her about coconut oil, and she said there is no medical/science proof that is good for you. In fact i am not sure what exactly she said, but something that it actually bad for you if you eat it.
Dont get me wrong i love coconut oil infact i have it on my hair for overnight treatment. But after what my friend told me i dont eat it as much anymore. I dont know who to trust no more. Whats written, or what is someone who is actually an insider and who knows more..
Just thought to share this..

Because there are so many contradicting opinions on coconut oil and not a real, solid piece of evidence, you just have to go with your own personal experiences. If coconut oil was good for you, then it was good for you, there's no getting around that. But for some people it does absolutely nothing.

On topic... I use coconut oil in my hair, for both heavy and light oilings. I use quite a bit for heavy oilings, and usually leave it in overnight. I use it like cold cream to remove my makeup - massage it in and wipe it off, then I wash my face like normal. I always put a chunk in my bathwater. I'd like to try cooking with it or eating it but I'm not sure how to do that!

silviya
February 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Help I put too much coconut oil for my overnight treatment and now it cant come off. What to do?
I used conditioner twice and my hair is still oily and stays like sticks, straws if you know what i mean..

WHen u do those overnight treatments how much do you put?? My hair is long a little longer then my breast level. Lol :)

Aeon F.
February 3rd, 2010, 01:41 PM
Help I put too much coconut oil for my overnight treatment and now it cant come off. What to do?
I used conditioner twice and my hair is still oily and stays like sticks, straws if you know what i mean..

WHen u do those overnight treatments how much do you put?? My hair is long a little longer then my breast level. Lol :)

Silviya, how long did you leave the conditioner on before rinsing it off? You should use a lot of (no cone) conditioner and leave it on for a while before rinsing off. If you just put like a handful of condish on and scrubbed a bit and immediately washed it off (like what ones does with shampoo)- it's not enough to get a heavy oiling off.

silviya
February 3rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
I used Garnier fructis conditioner and i left if for 10 min? Do i need to repeat it for longer? Will that help

Aeon F.
February 3rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Which Garnier fructis conditioner? Some of them are no cones, but most of their conditioners have cones (which can lead to silcone build up on your hair and doesn't really wash out the oils). Good cheap no-cone condtioners are like V05, Suave.

I know for sure that Garnier's Triple Nutrition had no cones (I have that one), and I *think* their long and strong doesn't either (at least that's what I've heard..)

10 minutes should be fine, unless it's a super heavy oiling. If you're using a no cone conditioner, make sure you use lots of it and then maybe wrap your hair up (saran wrap, plastic bag, etc) and put it under a towel and go do something (read, watch tv) for like maybe 20-30 minutes before rinsing off, if you had a hard time getting it off with 10 minutes on.

sibiryachka
February 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
Mmmmmm, coconut oil... I'm going to try it as lip balm at once! What already I use it for:

*I put about a teaspoon in my bath water. I don't need body lotion for a whole week after that.
*Lightly oiling hair to tame flyaways/raspy ends
*Heavy oiling before washing, with just a light rinse-out conditioner afterward. Makes the hair feel like buttah.

redneckprincess
February 3rd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I cant even find the stuff to buy to use on my hair...sorry to hyjack the thread (at least its the same topic) but can anyone post a picture of their jar or tub or how ever it comes so I know what Im looking for? TIA

Aeon F.
February 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
the kind I use comes in bottles that look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Vatika-Coconut-Hair-150ml/dp/B000JWQ3NC

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-300ml/dp/B002TDM0UO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265250413&sr=1-6

(I think the 2nd link is their newer style of packaging)

Another commonly used brand I've heard people here say they use is called Spectrum (that's found at wal-mart, target etc) & is in a jar:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

And for me, for OP's original question- I use coconut oil as a deep treatment/soak before each wash.

christine1989
February 3rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
I replaced my store bought leave in conditioner with coconut oil and I LOVE it! I also like to melt some and put it in a small spray bottle to spray on frizz when im at school.

christine1989
February 3rd, 2010, 07:42 PM
For all of you who use coconut oil on your face- does it make you break out? It seems like an oil that thick would....

Madame J
February 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM
For all of you who use coconut oil on your face- does it make you break out? It seems like an oil that thick would....

Oh, indeed. Coconut oil has a high comedogenic rating, so it can contribute to breakouts. It's wonderful on my hair, but makes my face very angry. I do know plenty of people here have experiences to the contrary though.

silviya, you can eat coconut oil with other things. You don't need to eat a spoonful straight or else take capsules. My husband mixes it with his granola and milk in the morning. I've stirred it into oatmeal. My husband has found a clear improvement in his irritable bowel syndrome taking coconut oil, more so than with probiotic yogurt. I also use it as the oil to saute vegetables for curries and South Asian-style stir fries, or as a fat when baking muffins. Coconut oil and coconut milk make great substitutes for butter and milk when doing dairy-free baking.

redneckprincess
February 4th, 2010, 05:28 AM
the kind I use comes in bottles that look like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Vatika-Coconut-Hair-150ml/dp/B000JWQ3NC

or this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dabur-Vatika-Enriched-Coconut-300ml/dp/B002TDM0UO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265250413&sr=1-6

(I think the 2nd link is their newer style of packaging)

Another commonly used brand I've heard people here say they use is called Spectrum (that's found at wal-mart, target etc) & is in a jar:
http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

And for me, for OP's original question- I use coconut oil as a deep treatment/soak before each wash.

thanks...so is it a liquid and whats the diffrence between the organic, refined & virgin?

Othala
February 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
I slather my washed and dried feet in VCO and then soak them in plastic bowl filled with hot water. Great moisturisation.

little_cherry
February 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
I love coconut oil. Unfortunately I do not have the virgin coconut oil as I could not find it. That said, the 100% coconut oil I do have is great for my hair. I also mixed it with amla to scrub my face and left it on for 20 mins. My skin was fantastic!:)

Coconut oil on the feet is heavenly after scrubbing them after a bath. I usually wrap my feet in plastic wrap, put sock on and go to bed. Super smooth feet in the morning!

My legs get CO after shave and shower. It gets rid of my weird bumpy skin condition!

I use it to lull my bird into doing party tricks...he looooves coconut oil!! Really? What sort of bird do you have? I was wondering why my Green Cheek was licking my face after CO application!

Aeon F.
February 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM
thanks...so is it a liquid and whats the diffrence between the organic, refined & virgin?

It's a liquid at warmer room temperatures (70's), but colder- it's a solid. Right now in winter, mine is solid but come around summer time- it will be liquid all the time. If it's solid, it's easy to just warm a chunk up in your hand and it turns right into liquid.

the refining vs virgin has to do with they way it's made/processed, but I don't know the specifics of it.

BrightEyes
February 4th, 2010, 10:53 AM
I use coconut oil to do overnight oilings before washing. I also use a tiny bit as a leave-in. And I've been mixing some with conditioner and water in a spritz bottle for no wash days. I also use this on my daughter and her curls are so soft and bouncy.

I've also found that it helps with the chicken bumps on my arms. And if I have any left over on my hands, I'll rub it all over the rest of me. My skin so soft if I use it consistently.

Love the stuff!!

aaight714
February 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I love coconut oil for my hair, it's working great as a leave-in on damp hair. I would love to start eating it because of all the health benefits it's supposed to have, but i've tried it in tea, in orange juice, plain, and on toast and honestly it just makes me gag... i guess the gross oily feeling doesn't do it for me. Ugh just thinking about it makes me gag. makes me wish there was an easier way!

curlywurlygurly
February 4th, 2010, 07:02 PM
WOW! and here I was just using it on my hair. I use it for overnight DT; smear it on in evening and wrap my head and glad wrap and a towel and sleep in it.

However I'm definitely going to have to try a lot of these suggestions. Bit nervous on how it would go on my face - my skin is sensitive to a lot of things and breaks out at the sign of something it doesn't like.

curlywurlygurly
February 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
WOW! and here I was just using it on my hair. I use it for overnight DT; smear it on in evening and wrap my head and glad wrap and a towel and sleep in it.

However I'm definitely going to have to try a lot of these suggestions. Bit nervous on how it would go on my face - my skin is sensitive to a lot of things and breaks out at the sign of something it doesn't like.

Cheeks1206
February 5th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I just used some coconut oil for the first time last night. I'm not sure how I was living wihout it before! My hair seems to love it. I just put a little bit at the ends and about half way up my SL damp hair and even before it completely dried I could tell the difference it made. I'm going to take all the different suggestions from this thread and start using it for a lot more! I can't wait to do my first overnight DT with it.

florenonite
February 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I've got sensitive skin that's prone to breakouts, but I don't have a problem with using coconut oil on my face as long as it's a light application. Oddly, I can't use it on my back and shoulders without breaking out, though.

lotusheart
February 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I use it to remove makeup, on my body after showering, and on the ends of my hair. I also cook with it--it is great for frying eggs!

:cheese:

little_cherry
February 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=966281&postcount=34

Just thought I'd link the post I made earlier to here since I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced this! :)