PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU use Coconut Oil?

Pages : 1 [2]

akilina
February 8th, 2010, 09:23 PM
I wish i had coconut oil >.< my mom makes soap and uses it in it and over the summer and when i still lived at home I'd sneak into it :]

ambism
February 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I use it when I'm giving myself/somebody a scalp massage. It feels really good (to me and them).

Lorien
February 9th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Oh what don't I do with it.. lol

I do cook with it because it holds heat very well and the body assimilates it, unlike olive or other hydrogenated vegetable oils which spoil in the heat and storage.

I use it to cleanse my face, just rub it on and wipe off, best cleanser I've ever used..

Use it to moisturize my skin when needed, for wounds also. And of course I've started to use it on my hair with lovely results :)

I buy mine at the health food store to ensure it's organic and untreated.

Arrow Juniper
February 10th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Awesome thread! I'm a newbie who just got my hands on a jar of extra virgin coconut oil for the first time last night. I think I used way too much! I tried spritzing my hair with water and oiling up my ends before bedtime. Think it will wash out with conditioner only or should I shampoo?

sibiryachka
February 17th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Someone must have held a light bulb over my head last night, because it suddenly occurred to me to use it to clean the insides of my cat's ears. Oddly specific, you might say... The thing is, she needs thyroid medication 2x/day, which comes in a transdermal cream (much easier than pills!). We put it on the inside of the ear, and as you might imagine it leaves considerable residue, so the ears need to be cleaned out every other day. We've been struggling for months with wet wipes and washcloths - no surprise that she hates having something wet and clammy in there. This morning I tried the coconut oil, and it works like a dream! It was actually more effective than the soap & water I've been using, cut the gunk in one pass, and DK didn't mind it at all.
I swear this stuff is magic.

kimi
February 17th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Someone must have held a light bulb over my head last night, because it suddenly occurred to me to use it to clean the insides of my cat's ears. Oddly specific, you might say... The thing is, she needs thyroid medication 2x/day, which comes in a transdermal cream (much easier than pills!). We put it on the inside of the ear, and as you might imagine it leaves considerable residue, so the ears need to be cleaned out every other day. We've been struggling for months with wet wipes and washcloths - no surprise that she hates having something wet and clammy in there. This morning I tried the coconut oil, and it works like a dream! It was actually more effective than the soap & water I've been using, cut the gunk in one pass, and DK didn't mind it at all.
I swear this stuff is magic.

Oh, that's a great idea! My old lady kitty just got started on the thyroid cream as well, and the stuff just seems to gunk up on her as well, so I'll try the coconut oil as well. I like to give the sweetie as many treats as possible - she deserves them - and a nice ear massage seems like a good one as well as a good way to clear off the old med goop too. Thanks for the suggestion!

zen_oven
February 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I don't use it regularly, but I do like coconut oil. I usually use it if I give myself a scalp massage. Not a bad prewash treatment either.

tinker bug
February 17th, 2010, 10:08 PM
It occured to me recently to ask: Do y'all use food-grade coconut oil generally? Has anyone tried the "Blue Magic" brand coconut oil for hair? I used it and have had TERRIBLE results. If anyone has tried it can you tell me if food-grade coconut oil is similar, or if you get the similar results? Somehow the only place I can find food-grade coconut oil is about an hour and a half away, just wondering if I should continue searching for it or if my hunt is futile...

cmcwell
February 17th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Whip it up with some cocoa butter and avacado oil. Miracle.

Katurday
February 17th, 2010, 11:41 PM
When I use Virgin Coconut Oil, my hair has no oily simptoms other than moisture, so naturally I go wild when applying it as a daily oil to my ends. I've stopped recently due to it being winter, but will continue as the warmer weather rolls in. I use it as an overall body moisturizer, and made the people in my house use it as a lip balm when they have chapped lips. I'm scared when it comes to using it in food...but I'll give it some thought. I also use it as an eyebrow moisturizer and an eyelash/eye area oil, due to me having the tendancy to be a little flaky there.

Hana
February 18th, 2010, 03:06 PM
When I use it, the night before I wash my hair I slather it on, from my ears down, so it looks greasy, but I tie it up, sleep on it.
In the morning, I wash it out.
Since doing this, I've noticed my hair feels less "thirsty", if that makes sense. it feels more plump and alive, kinda like a recently filled hot water bottle. which probably makes no sense. anyways.

I also use it after I've washed my hair! while its still wet. I put about just under a penny's worth, melt it in my hands, and gently run my fingers through my hair. Thats it. It works wonders, puts my waves under control, makes it shinier, GAH. its just wonder stuff.

never thought of using it for body moisturiser. Maybe i will, although at this rate I may have to buy myself a coconut tree, haha!

Kya
February 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
In addition to putting it on my hair and skin, I've discovered that it is wonderful in baked goodies.

Centelleo
February 19th, 2010, 08:50 AM
I just recently discovered coconut oil through Darcy's Botanicals Coconut & Hibiscus hair oil and I LOVE it! I mainly use it to smooth my hair every morning instead of using a styling product. I love the smell and a tiny half-dime sized drop is enough to smooth frizzies/strays and impart shine without greasiness. After about five days of really light oil glossing, my hair comes out super soft when I wash it. I don't even need to use conditioner anymore!

I'm still a little wary of oiling when wet. I have bad memories of some terrible olive oil experiments that I can't seem to shake.

In addition to putting it on my hair and skin, I've discovered that it is wonderful in baked goodies.

If you're going to use it in cooking, please make sure you get virgin coconut oil and not the refined stuff! The refined oil is hydrogenated, which means it is full of the bad trans fat. Virgin coconut oil is the oil with all the internal health benefits.

La Luna
February 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I have never used coconut oil at all until I found this forum - I am certainly going to use it from now on! I used it a few days ago by cooking some curry leaves in it, then rubbed cool solidified oil into the scalp - than washed my hair the next morning. It looks like my hair likes it a lot! Thank you for such a great useful thread!!!! :cheese:

Xandergrammy
February 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
I've been using monoi oil on my hair and skin for years and DH just bought some extra virgin coconut oil. The taste and texture is very yummy to me, but I've read so many conflicting opinions about the health benefits/risks of eating it that I'm not sure what to do in that regard. It also smells heavenly, so even if I don't eat it, I'll be using it on my hair and enjoying the benefits and the lovely smell.

Centelleo
February 22nd, 2010, 10:30 AM
The taste and texture is very yummy to me, but I've read so many conflicting opinions about the health benefits/risks of eating it that I'm not sure what to do in that regard.
It depends on what kind of health benefits you want to receive from consuming virgin coconut oil. If you want a candida cleanse, you should start off very slowly (<1 tsp daily with food) so you don't experience a massive candida die-off. So long as you're consuming the virgin unrefined coconut oil in moderation (<1 tablespoon/day), you shouldn't experience any adverse effects to your cholestrol levels. In fact, it's supposed to lower your bad cholestrol level and raise your good cholestrol levels!

Centelleo
February 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry to double-post but I came across this information:

The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils. Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.

1. Rele AS, Mohile RB. "Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage." Journal Cosmetology Science 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-92.

This makes me wonder if the people who've used coconut oil and found it to be "too drying" are perhaps protein-sensitive?

For those of you that use coconut oil on your face and body, do you notice any acne or milia arising from the application?

La Luna
February 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM
For those of you that use coconut oil on your face and body, do you notice any acne or milia arising from the application?

Centelleo, I have not seen anyone complaining of acne arising from using the coconut oil, in fact, quite the opposite. Look here http://www.highonhealth.org/coconut-oil-is-an-awesome-natural-acne-treatment/ or even the video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBDJpdFoSo :cheese:

*Aoife*
February 26th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I use it as a heavy leave in and it leaves my length very silky. I use it on the ends on my braids because they get very dry.

I'd like to try it in food but I associate it with my hair so I don't think I could cook with it.

chopandchange
February 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I use it sometimes as a body lotion or a hand lotion. I love slathering it all over as a treat. I used to eat it in my porridge but I got bored of doing that.

I would love to use it on my face, because it smells so yummy and the idea of using something natural appeals to me, but, sadly, it gives me spots even if I get just a tiny smidgeon on my face. :(

cardamom
March 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
mix virgin coconut oil with body moisturiser(1:1) and aplly it all over body after a bath.your skin will glow!

apply...i mean:D

sugarpixie10988
March 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm in love with this stuff! I got a jar of virgin coconut oil about a month ago and I've already gone through most of the jar. I use it as a body moisturizer, I put it in my hair after a shower, lip balm, deodorant, I moisturize my nails with it, and I recently started eating it on toast too! I also LOVE the smell, after I put it on I can't help but sniff myself, hah. I didn't notice it breaking my back out, but it does break my face out :( . I've also introduced my mom to it, she loves it for her hair as well!

Lizard301
September 12th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Oh, I use it for EVERYTHING!

I cook with it almost exclusively instead of using other oils
I moisturize my face with it daily
I use it after I shower from head to toe (it's AMAZING for cracked heels, which I haven't had in almost a year!)
I use it in my mist bottle along with sea salt and aloe vera gel (to keep the salt from drying my ends)
I put it in my coffee
I use it as a pre and post conditioner
I use it to take off my makeup
... and I keep a small container of it on the nightstand as a massage oil/ intimate lubricant:eyebrows:

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I use coconut oil in my hair before I wash, for scalp massages and for my dry ends after washing. best tip I ever got!

Daniella123
September 12th, 2010, 03:25 PM
... and I keep a small container of it on the nightstand as a massage oil/ intimate lubricant

hahahahaha! same!

Tom Steinberg
September 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I usually apply coconut oil to my hair before I go to aikido class. Besides the obvious good effects, it helps to keep the hair in place :)

Antipodienne
September 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Sweet---through September 19th only this site is having a 60&#37; off sale on coconut oil. Five gallon bucket is only $95!! This might be worth it for some of the chronic users. :)
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/expeller-pressed_coconut_oil.htm
They have organic, too!
I don't have enough length to warrant buying this, but whoever does wins the prize for Quirkiest Purchase as a Result of LHC Membership. BOY would we have some good stories for the noobs a la "Remember when so-and-so bought the five gallon Bucket 'O' CO?" :cheese:

McFearless
September 18th, 2010, 12:24 AM
I LOVE using coconut oil a little every day. I feel like it absorbs so well when I don't overwhelm my hair with a lot of oil. A drop of oil everyday gets absorbed and makes my hair soft.

I also do a heavy soak overnight if I plan on using shampoo. It prevents my hair from getting stripped.

dragonmyst
September 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I started putting it in my 8 year old daughters extremely dry hair and her hair has gotten super soft and silky. Absolutely gorgeous!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/dragondanger/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00243.jpg

I use coconut oil for soapmaking and salve making and some cooking, I buy mine from Bramble Berry which is an online soaper's & cosmetic supply store. They sell it by pound bot gallon HOWEVER I discovered that a 1 lb jar of virgin coconut oil that costs $9 - $12 at the local health food store costs only about $4.00. They also have a huge(imo) supply of other exotic oils & butters.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Coconut-Oil-P3196.aspx

Qucik question, do any of you have issues with it melting? My jar of it was sitting in our kitchen (warmest room in the house) and has totally melted :S. Should I put it in the fridge?

Quixotica
September 18th, 2010, 10:45 AM
. Eye make up remover. As well as of course, on my hair. :)

You can use it as an eye makeup remover?! Who knew?!

swivelhop
September 18th, 2010, 11:35 AM
My hair had some sort of revolution against coconut oil. :luke:
Luckly I had only put a little in a jar in the bathroom the rest went to the fridge.:cool:
So I tried to make cookies with it and made a sort of .... oatmeal raisen blob. (note only butter, is butter):cookie:
So I tried to use it with eggs and.... (note only butter, is butter).:sun:
Then I wondered if someone that eats so much meat and butter should eat coconut oil.:puke:
Its now nicely fueling my porch lamp.:D

Basdomo
September 19th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hi all,
I put it on as a deep oil treatment overnight, pre wash when very dry, dry skin!! I also cook with it.
I see alot of amazement about that but its great for your skin too when used taken in. I also use it instead of butter on my bread and i must say my skins been better than ever before!
(i used to have an extremely dry scalp but thats over!!)
x Nikki :cheese:

Khiwanean
September 19th, 2010, 03:40 AM
I do heavy oilings with it before I shower.

I use a little to smooth down flyaways when I have my hair pulled back.

I also cook with it.

jackie75
September 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I use it my mister bottle mixed with water & conditioner, use it for light oilings, and as I type this, my hair is soaked with it for a DT. When I lived in a colder climate, it was absolutely heaven for my raw, cracked and bleeding hands.

I also make batches of homemade bisquick with it. It's works wonderfully!

Drynwhyl
September 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM
For those of you with stretched ears, I found coconut oil moisturises them and feels much better than any other oil I tried (jojoba, for example).

I think there's nothing I don't use it on :P

CrisDee
September 20th, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have a jar in my kitchen and another in my bathroom. LOVE the taste and smell of it! In the kitchen, I use it instead of butter on my veggies after cooking. In the bathroom, I use it mostly to moisturize my skin after a shower - my hair's too short to oil just yet :)

Carolyn
September 20th, 2010, 06:46 AM
This is such a good thread with great information. I had no idea there were so many uses for coconut oil.

Crazycatlady
September 20th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I started putting it in my 8 year old daughters extremely dry hair and her hair has gotten super soft and silky. Absolutely gorgeous!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/dragondanger/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC00243.jpg

I use coconut oil for soapmaking and salve making and some cooking, I buy mine from Bramble Berry which is an online soaper's & cosmetic supply store. They sell it by pound bot gallon HOWEVER I discovered that a 1 lb jar of virgin coconut oil that costs $9 - $12 at the local health food store costs only about $4.00. They also have a huge(imo) supply of other exotic oils & butters.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Coconut-Oil-P3196.aspx

Qucik question, do any of you have issues with it melting? My jar of it was sitting in our kitchen (warmest room in the house) and has totally melted :S. Should I put it in the fridge?
Yes, I wonder the same about my jar melting. My first jar said to keep in the fridge, but this one (Spectrum, unrefined) says it's not necessary. But mine stays melted in the kitchen cabinet. I've been wondering if it will stay as fresh like this. Maybe someone will reply with advise. :confused:

baaaad_kitty
September 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Coconut oil here is used for cooking. It's in so many shampoos and products. I guess because you don't go very far without seeing a coconut tree.

1. cooking
2. overnight treatments
3. my dogs
4. massage oil

When I was little I had dandruff and my mom would rub it into my scalp and I really would not like the smell. Smells like food.

CaliforniaAnne
September 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I use a whole bunch of it on my hair before I wash it. I then leave it in for most of the week, topping it up at the ends in the morning and evening. I shampoo it out once a week (when I get to wear my hair down!) If there's excess on my hands, I smear it on my skin, which feels luxurious! :D

goddessbound
September 20th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Lawd knows I love coconuts! The oil, milk, cream, water AND the jelly! they all taste soo good! Growing up in the islands we used it for everything!!

In my deep moisturizing/protein treatment: eggs + mayo + coconut oil + Olive oil

In my leave-in treatment: aloe vera juice + coconut oil + jojoba oil + Knot Today cream

In my after-shower skin oil: coconut oil + castor oil + jojoba oil

Underarm deodorant and anti-bacterial

a morning tonic : drink 1 teaspoon daily

and...

I cook with it, of course!

wvgemini
September 20th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I use it on my hair (lightly before putting it up for work, or heavily for overnight), I use it as an all-over moisturizer, I add it to my OCM and will occasionally use it instead of jojoba for face oil.

I haven't cooked with it yet, but I've been wanting to do a curry when the weather gets cooler ... mmm.

swivelhop
September 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Yes, I wonder the same about my jar melting. My first jar said to keep in the fridge, but this one (Spectrum, unrefined) says it's not necessary. But mine stays melted in the kitchen cabinet. I've been wondering if it will stay as fresh like this. Maybe someone will reply with advise. :confused:

Mine says its okay to keep out of the fridge but that it melts between 71 and 76 F. I use it so slowly I just have a litttle pot outside the fridge with the main container chilled. It turns into a solid rock in the fridge, not like butter consistancy.

Tabula Rasa
September 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I just bought a huge jar of Nutiva coconut oil! I should be getting it by the end of the week. I am very excited to try it, as so many of you have had such great results.

hippiechick1976
September 20th, 2010, 04:34 PM
This may come across weird but it is a wonderful lube as well. I use it for everything literally:)

jackie75
September 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
This may come across weird but it is a wonderful lube as well. I use it for everything literally:)

I 'm glad you shared that! :o I never thought of it....I hate the commercial chemical crap.

loralie
September 20th, 2010, 08:08 PM
I 'm glad you shared that! :o I never thought of it....I hate the commercial chemical crap.

Just don't use it if you're using latex condoms!!!! Especially if you're relying on them to do their job. Something about coconut oil makes the latex break down and they can break, careful! ;)

jackie75
September 20th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Just don't use it if you're using latex condoms!!!! Especially if you're relying on them to do their job. Something about coconut oil makes the latex break down and they can break, careful! ;)

Whoa, thanks for letting me know.

Gosh, who knew coconut oil to be so versatile? lol.

Maddy25
September 21st, 2010, 07:55 AM
My hair is still shortish, around shoulder, if I use oil I usually cover all of my length and tuck it up in a hat for a day :) This way I get a very deep treatment and no one can see how heavy the oil is. Then when you wash it out that hair is so soft :)

RadiantNeedle
September 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
Actually, this might not be true.
I've done a bit of looking around on this subject. We're told 'Oils and Condoms = Bad'. Why? Because its easier and safer than saying 'Some Oils and Condoms = Bad, but some are fine!'. If you instill a society with a blanket statement to get the idea across, the less likely it will be that they'll do something disastrous, right?

In actual fact, its petroleum based lubricants and oil products that are especially bad with latex, as they degrade the materials. But its so much easier to say 'dont use oils with condoms', because you can remember it, as opposed to 'dont use petroleum based lubes but certain vegetable lubes are fine'. This point is very well explained in this article here:
http://the217.com/articles/view/coconut_oil_and_condoms

There really isn't sufficient research to date to prove that coconut oil eats through latex like petroleum lubes. Not that I've found yet, anyhow. From Wikipedia (and yes, I know Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate!):
"Artificial petroleum based lubricants such as petroleum jelly can increase the likelihood of breakage and slipping of Latex condoms due to loss of elasticity caused by petroleum derived lubricants. Natural plant based oils generally do not have this effect."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_lubricant
'Generally'... Not yet sure in the case of coconut oil, but I'm still digging around, finding info!

I'd highly recommend coconut oil as a personal lubricant to people sensitive to glycerin, parabens, petrochemicals, and other additives that are usually found in water based lubes. Of course, in the effort to promote safer sex practices, I'd also recommend they use it with polyurethane condoms just to be more certain that the condoms will be effective. If they're fluid bonded with their partner/s and birth control isn't an issue, then hey! Go nuts.

I'm using it as a lubricant because I'm sensitive to glycerin, and I don't want to have to deal with all the clean up involved with silicone products, which are great and have their place, but can be a pain. PLUS! I think that I might be replacing my after-shaving/after-waxing lotion with coconut oil, because its JUST THAT GOOD, and my skin loves it! I've had absolutely zero problems! Its the most versatile product I have ever come across, and I am in love!

In2wishin
September 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM

I have had coconut oil go through many hard-liquid-hard cycles and I have never had it go bad even when it took me over a year to use it up. If you are concerned, you can do what others have suggested and keep a small amount in the cabinet and keep the rest in the fridge.

Intransigentia
September 21st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Mine is solid in winter; liquid in summer, and goes through multiple phase changes in spring and fall. The jar is big enough that it's been through a few of these.

Incidentally, for non-hair applications, the refined kind (that doesn't have such a coconut smell) is good for western non-dessert cooking too. For example, the other day I made a beef stew and used coconut oil in the frying pan where I seared the meat cubes before adding them. No coconut flavour in the stew, and no sticking in the frying pan.

proo
September 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
It's great for making popcorn! Super yummy.

ooo
September 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM
I melt a bit of the oil in my hands and run them through my hair. I guess that's the regular way to do it.

<3OnHerSleeve
October 16th, 2010, 09:28 PM
proo I'm a big popcorn-lover, I've got to try it with coconut oil now! yum, sounds guuuuud :)

Sookie
October 17th, 2010, 05:32 AM
The oil and the water don't mix together as we all know. So here is the question i 've been thinking a lot : If your hair is damp and you put oil how is this suppose to work? Doesn't the oil get blocked from water? If it does then the moisture is only surface and not deep.
Oh and something else.. If the hair has silicones then is it useless to put oil, because of the build-up?

Astarte_1980
October 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I only use it for my hair

nemileo
October 17th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I guess someone would say that the oil in damp hair helps locking in moisture? I prefer to apply it in dry hair though, but mostly beacuse that I dont like the stringy look when oiled hair dries.

I use my coconut for my face, witch is actually quite oily in some parts and very dry in others. (it did wonders...no more s** expensive facial creams! I am so happy!) I also use it for body butter all over the place, and for sore nipples after breast feeding. I use it for a carry-on hand lotion and for my dry lips. And it removes make up very well. It is all over the place!! Even inside (through my foods)

Hatsumomo
October 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I coat my hair in it the night before washing it and occasionally use it on my skin.

anthonyswife
October 17th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I put a big glob on my ends after I wash and every night before bed.

I put a little on my length/ends before combing.

I warm it and mix it with olive oil for scalp deep treatments (and add honey to the same mix for my length).

I massage a little into my scalp about an hour before washing to get rid of my dandruff.

I use it on my body instead of lotion after the shower.

I mix it with shea butter and glycerin for a nice balm for my feet.

Astarte_1980
October 18th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I just rub it in my hands and do it in my dry hair before I wash it.

MarshMallow
October 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I slather my hair until it's dripping wet, leave it in for a few hours and then wash it out. I also add a bit of it to brown sugar to use as a face wash in the shower, for some odd reason it smells like brownies =D

Zindell
October 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM
How do you use coconut oil?

A teaspon coconut oil/fat in my morning tea.
Very healthy properties :)

anthonyswife
October 18th, 2010, 01:56 PM

A teaspon coconut oil/fat in my morning tea.
Very healthy properties :)

That's cool! I tried that a couple years ago but couldn't get over the oil slick on top of my coffee. That neat that someone else does it too and likes it. :)

WinterInBloom
October 19th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I don't do much different than anyone else, but after reading more about coconut oil's properties I think I should eat at least a tablespoon full a day. Might solve half the problems I have. ;)

Right now I use coconut oil and aloe as my moisturizer. I just get some of both on my hands then rub together to mix. It's super moisturizing, and it soaks in fast. I had a rash on my arm that popped up out of nowhere, it looked a little like raised welts but it never itched. It hung around for two months and none of my natural remedies would make it go away. I settled on rubbing some aloe on it once in a while to give it light moisture, then I started mixing the aloe with coconut oil for my full body moisturizer. The rash went away in a week once I'd made that change. Never did find out what caused the rash in the first place though.

WinterInBloom
October 19th, 2010, 01:23 AM
I'm wondering, would coconut oil make a good base to make garlic oil for ear infections? Just a thought. :)

duh_its_Sarah
October 22nd, 2010, 10:04 AM
I use it on hair, face, lips, feet, body and I eat it on toast or just in a spoon.

I also mix cinnamon oil and coconut oil and freeze it for a great lip plumper!

tja
October 22nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
The jars I have don't say virgin, they say 100% coconut oil...is that the same thing?

Does your coconut smell like toasted coconut? If it doesn't say "virgin" you might still have 100% coconut oil but you might have the one derived from the copra (dried coconut). The "virgin" kind comes from the grated fresh coconut and it's supposed to be the purest version of it, with higher antimicrobial power.

Sagi1982
October 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
I use it as desodorant. :D
Works fine!

Jadewtch
October 22nd, 2010, 09:54 PM
One of my favorite threads to browse was the coconut oil thread... so here's another!

I use it for a bizzilion things!

And when I'm gonna be in water, I'll thoroughly oil my hair, then braid it, and oil the braid again... that seems to keep unwanted chemicals out for at least a little while.

This sounds like a brilliant idea! I'll have to try it the next time I go swim. I hate that dry crunchy feeling I get when I'm in the pool.

duh_its_Sarah
October 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
I have to remember to wash with a no cone conditioner when I try to get it out next time. I always have a problem getting it out with shampoo. Always.

Lunakitty
October 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Wow! This is what i currently use coconut oil for...

Prewash conditioner

This is what I am going to try...

Body moisturizer
Dietary suppliment
Cooking :)

Awsome can't wait to see the results!

sanfen
October 26th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I like it on toast. :D

duh_its_Sarah
October 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
^amen to the toast. yummy!!! with some watermelon and pinapple as a side! 12 grain toast. YUM!

Intransigentia
October 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I wanted to make a crumble-style top crust for a pie the other day, and discovered I was out of butter. Coconut oil did give it a different flavour, but it was a yummy one!

mrs_coffee
October 26th, 2010, 05:25 PM
I cook with it, use it on my hair and skin, and make deodorant out of it.

It's super simple to make and it works great. My daughters and I all use it.

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrow root powder OR corn starch
~5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil

1. Combine baking soda and arrow root powder in a bowl and mix with a fork.

2. Start with about 4 tablespoons/one-fourth cup of coconut oil and add the coconut oil to the baking soda mixture, working into a paste.

You can put the deodorant into a small container with a lid.

Eolan
October 29th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Oh, how I wish that coconut oil would work on my hair! I so LOVE the smell! But unfortunately, it just coates my hair, making it greasy. :( I works okay on my skin, though...

Sooze
October 29th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I just wanted to add, I've been using coconut oil as a pre-wash treatment for about the last six weeks after joining LHC.

I love it, but last night, I sloshed on more than usual - quite a lot more.... left it about an hour instead of my usual hasty half an hour, and I can't believe today even how much more soft and shiny my hair is - I didn't think it got any better than that!! My hair almost looks like it did when I was a kid (well, not stylewise or lengthwise, you understand - just healthywise). I can't stop touching it (I know, I know - hands off!)

Incredible! Hooray for coconut oil! :D

duh_its_Sarah
October 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM
how much did you use and how long is your hair?

FullMoonTrim
October 29th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Coconut has saved my hair. Before a wash I will put a little water on my hair and then put coconut oil on the whole thing. I will leave on anywhere from 1 hour-overnight. I usually shampoo it twice to get it out.

I will also put coconut oil on my face and neck for extra moisturizing.
I used it in when I made my own lip/skin treatment (I melted coconut, castor, calendula flowers, olive oil & beeswax and made a salve).

Sometimes I will just put coconut oil on my braid and wear it out that way if my ends feel really dry.

Sooze
October 29th, 2010, 01:20 PM
how much did you use and how long is your hair?

I used over a tablespoon - my hair is just past collar length and curly. I really am amazed at the difference - I was happy enough with it before, but all day I've kept touching my hair, and I've had so many people today tell me my hair "looks great!" Unbelievable!!

IcarusBride
November 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
It works wonders on my dark circles!

enni
November 6th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I grab a table spoon and put a bunch on, then slide a lot off so I have just a bit more than a filled one.

Smear that in my hair and preferably let sit overnight in a bun. Works wonders for my hair :)

Eadwine your avatar (kitty) is so sweet. :D

I use small amounts of coconut oil on the tips of my hair and I use more on my daughters hair for conditioning. She has curls so I find it more useful for that.

I tried treating my hair overnight and work to the cat trying to eat my hair!!! If I ever do it again I'll have to lock him out!

remidosi
November 9th, 2010, 06:58 PM
This is the thread that made me register. Thank you all!

I tried coconut oil in my damp hair after a shower. It took a long time to absorb, but when it did my hair was so soft and smooth! Seems like I need to tweak the amount a bit yet, but I think it'll be an integral part to my routine from now on.

I tried it in my tea yesterday. Love the taste, can't quite get around the oil slick. I'll be trying some coconut popcorn tonight - that sounds *amazing*!!

gotzbrainz
November 9th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I use mine for overnight deep treatments, daily oiling over damp hair, as a skin moisturizer and on my baby's chapped face from drooling.

gossamer
November 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I found this article (http://www.thesweetbeet.com/coconuts-nutrients/) online about the benefits of coconuts, not just the oil. It included this fascinating fact about the oil's properties:

Contains high levels of the “good” fat, lauric acid which helps ward off viruses. Breast milk is the only other food with anywhere near the same levels.

Right now I wash my face with it (modified OCM), use it on the ends of my hair weekly, and all over my body after particularly hot, drying showers. Haven't integrated it into my diet but I'll definitely consider more coconut milk based recipes, I think!

Octave
November 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Usually use coconut as a leave-in before washing my hair. Used to use a small amount as well on damp hair, but I just found out that Aloe Vera gel works better when it comes to defining my waves and it helps fight static. ;)

fairystar32
November 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I love coconut oil
I havent been using it as much lately and my steady weight has increased!!! Not sure if its connected so will up the intake again and see :)

I also use it on my hair, face as a moisturiser and for cooking

Jordan S.
December 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Anyone ever try a wash using only coconut oil?

LaurelSpring
December 19th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I put it in smoothies and cook with it. Putting a little into a cup of hot chocolate is pretty awesome too. I pretty much gave up on using it on my hair with the exception of a coating before swimming or as part of my shea cocoa butter mixture that I do use on my ends. Alone it just mostly turned me into a grease pit and my hair doesnt really need any more oil. I like my buttered ends better.

Artsy
December 20th, 2010, 12:21 AM
I have coconut oil mixed into my shampoo, my bodywash (my skin finally stopped cracking all over) and into my favorite lotion. I also use it as a leave in on my hair on a warm day. Also if I am doing a soak in my tub, I just put some in the water:p

Kaeita
December 20th, 2010, 12:59 AM
I love this thread, I've gotten some great ideas from it, particularly eating the oil for health benefits.

I picked up my first jar of coconut oil today, and wasn't I surprised to find a local store that carries it! This town doesn't have much, but it has coconut oil!

We've only just gotten home, but my son has already stirred 2 teaspoons into his dinner, and keeps raving about how yummy it is. I can see that jar being empty by the end of the week. It is quite delish. It's Melrose brand, and the jar says "This is a organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil which is produced within one hour of opening a coconut by villagers using the Direct Micro Expelling (DME) process. This oil retains the natural aroma and flavour of coconut. " It does have a very faint aroma and flavour, and very slight coconutty texture, and is a very light oil at room temperature.

I haven't gotten to try it on my hair yet, not sure how it will go. My hair's shoulder length, so not much will be needed I think, and with all the storms we've been having, it's not dry at all. I'm looking forward to seeing how I'll go with it at the pool, so might try to go swimming sometime soon.

terrylillyd
December 20th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I use it in my hair overnight (I alternate with Olive Oil and Jojoba oil), I use it as a moisturizer on my face AND I eat about 2 tablespoons a day. Love coconut oil!

2peasinapod
December 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM
I use it after clarifying and whenever my hair feels dry. I warm it up with my fingers and out it on my hair, focusing on the ends. Then I distribute the oil evenly with a nylon brush.

missmorbus
December 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I use it as a prewash conditioner and then again as a leave in after washing. I also use a little on days that I don't wash my hair.

I think I'm going to have to try it on my chapped lips. :D

Mina83
December 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
I use coconut oil before washing my hair.
Actually, I use a as a prepoo, and I apply some oil on my ends after the was

Mina83
December 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
after the wash *

x0h_bother
March 3rd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I just read about using it in oatmeal....am trying soon! sounds yummy!

Chetanlaiho
March 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM
I use it for deep oil treatments, for leave-in, and for adding shine to braids. I use it as a skin moisturizer on particularly dry parts and even as a make-up remover xD (believe it or not, it removes my waterproof eyeliner better than the stuff marketed as waterproof make-up remover).

crewsemarg
March 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Am just new to this community and am enjoying it so much. I just found this post today and have only made it about half way through all of the pages but needed to say that about 6 months ago I started making my own soap. The last batch that I made had coconut oil in it. Well, to make a long story short our daughter in law just asked me the other day for another bar, because her skin felt so soft and luscious after using it. We all (even the hubby) love it and it will be my go to recipe from now on.

I will be trying cocoa nut oil on my muffin in the morning! Learn something new everyday!!

kylarosee
August 22nd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mostly as a pre-wash conditioner. Its nice for smoothing out the hair as well.
I hadn't thought of using it as a margarine substitute in foods, like the previous poster, I may have too soon..

emelnd
August 22nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Popcorn! A mix of coconut and truffle oil!

AnnaJamila
August 22nd, 2011, 10:18 PM
I just used some to do the whole oil shampoo thing and while I didn't quite get the right proportions it feels really smooth. It's so staticy, though! When I combed it it litterally floated out into the air which was really odd as I've never seen it do that before!!!

Raiscake
August 23rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
I use coconut oil for post-was oiling.
I use it as a lip balm.
I mix in a tablespoon into my egg treatment.
I use it as a makeup remover.
I take a tablespoon when my throat feels itchy.

Yay coconut oil!

Scarlet_Heart
August 26th, 2011, 09:06 AM
After I wash my hair, I rub some on my hands, work it into my ends and then comb it all through my hair. Then I just bun it and forget about it until it's dry.

ETA: Oh! And I just tried putting some in my henna mixture and WOW it made such a difference. When I washed my henna out, it was automatically shiny and soft, whereas my hair is usually a little on the dry side right after a henna.

Signe
August 26th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hair detangler/conditioning
Lip balm
Eye makeup remover (seriously, the best thing I have ever tried for this purpose)
Skin lotion
Food-- It is an incredibly stable cooking oil with a high smoke point (so it doesn't become carcinogenic even at high temps) and it is also a great butter substitute for vegans etc.
Healing cuts/ stopping itchy bug bites

ButterCream
August 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Long time since I had a jar, I really need to get one again, ASAP!

Anya21
August 26th, 2011, 01:08 PM
i warm up two tablespoons of coconut oil, mix it with condiotioner, cover my hair with it, cover it with foil and leave it in over night when i wash my hair the next morning, it leaves my hair very soft and condtioned.

stacyyyy1972
August 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I do all the stuff the previous posters do & then some! I add it to SMT's, Take off my make up with it, add it to my bath water, and use it on any area that has dry skin & occassionally I even cook with it.:p

Yay.thats what I was looking for, someone who ads it to the smt. What amount do you put in (:

Auburn_locks
August 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I did my first overnight deep condition with coconut oil last night and WOW so smooth and shiny today after washing it out! I think I will need to wash it a little sooner than usual from being greasy, but that might be mainly because I can't stop touching it! :D

It's also delicious in thai curry (and probably other curries too!) and on toast with honey. I haven't been quite brave enough to eat it on toast on its own yet, but I hope to try it in the next couple of days! Must try popcorn as well as I usually cover it in butter. Awful, I know!

I also tried frying some bacon in it today to see if the coconut taste went in and thankfully it didn't so I might switch it for my main frying oil. Yum :)

stacyyyy1972
August 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Oh my..I Just used it for the first time and put a tad in my hand with just a bit of water and rubbed my hair down and my hair loves it I am a believer..rinsed out an old product dish with a lid and put some in to take to work. And it removed my mascara without burning my eyes!!

Clem_Dela
August 29th, 2011, 10:52 PM
mmm I love making sugar scrubs with coconut oil... it makes my legs feel silky smooth and awesome!

I mix it with lavender oil and rub it on stretch marks each day. i've definitely been seeing improvement there, marks are fading and shrinking, so happy...

I use coconut oil as a leave in condish sort of thing. but i definitely don't use very much!!! the first time i used coconut oil, I used it as a normal conditioner in the shower... what a nightmare.... it took three washes to get it all out. My hair has never been softer, though :P

I also mix a little coconut oil into my homemade shampoo.

Megz
August 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I think coconut oil has to be my favorite products. Unfortunately, I'm running out of it! :rolleyes: I order mine (Nutiva) from Amazon, although I may give Tropical Traditions hair treatment a try for deep conditioning.

Cooking
I've only really fried with it, which gives pretty much anything a nice, golden brown color. It also seems to keep things from burning so easily (handy, because I get distracted easily). I've only really used it on grilled cheese sandwiches and quesadillas (yes, there's a cheese theme).

Skin
- Makes a great all-over moisturizer. I once ran out of sunscreen when I had to go to an an air show. I have light brown skin tone, and tend to get tan/very dark quickly. When I got home, I noticed that my skin was a nice, golden brown hue, even and with no tan lines. Made me think of how it fries nicely when cooking lol.

- Works on warts over time (saturate and cover with a bandaid), which I think might be due to its anti-viral properties.

- I have spa night once or twice a week, and love to put this on as a face moisturizer after I do facial peels/masks.

Hair
I mostly use it on hair (relaxed, BSL, thick, still slightly curly/coarse), primarily as a leave-in right when I get out of the shower. I don't coat my hair, but rather treat it like a shine serum so that it doesn't get crunchy. I put it on after my actual leave-in (BWC) in order to seal, and then just let it air dry.

I also like to make a mix with coconut and a little amla oil (mineral-free), which I mainly focus on my scalp and ends. For the ends, I just put a tiny, tiny amount on after the leave-in and coconut, at least during the dry summertime, since my ends need extra help and softens. The scalp I might do at night or before my shower, depending on how I feel. It also got rid of my dandruff, along with help of a new showerhead filter (super hard well water).

I'm trying not to shampoo and condition on a daily basis lately, but have to get it wet to detangle and spray bottles don't make much of a dent in my thick hair. I'm just now starting to massage a small amount the mixture on my scalp before daily showers (without saturating), leaving it to sit for a bit, then I usually will put more on my ends. I shower in lukewarm/pool temperature water (at least in the summertime lol) to avoid stripping my hair with hot water.

This keeps my dry scalp moisturized, and the oil runs down my hair so that I can gently detangle without conditioner all of the time, but doesn't feel greasy - just clean and moisturized. I also rinse with vinegar once a week after my deep conditioner to lock it in, so I think might help to prevent oil buildup/dullness. My hair feels much better and less coarse. Kind of a happy accident, since I originally was doing the massage bit for hair growth doh. I'm still trying to sort when to co-wash, but aiming for twice a week max and a rare shampoo.

chou
August 30th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I put it in my breakfast oatmeal with dried cherries. Also, in curries. It tastes very coconutty in a good way! I also use it on my hands and cuticles. My hair does not like it at the moment. It is not helping my protein over-load induced dryness though because apparently it acts as a protein treatment? Made my hair very crunchy.

Megz
August 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
If there is protein, there's very little, although it's said to help reduce protein loss. There are some companies, like Tropical Traditions, that have some with more protein in it (for hair treatments), which I guess is based off how they make it to have more solids. My Nutiva says 0&#37;, if that helps. Crunchiness for me usually only happens if I put too much on while my hair's still wet. Temperature may also affect that. I put very, very little on and don't have a problem (about a dime's worth). Brushing it through (if you use one) might also help.

Alacris~
August 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
I use it in my hair for heavy oiling or just when it feels dry.
On my body and face it works wonders too.
Sometimes I use it to bake an egg.

There is one use I haven't seen in this tread yet (mayb I just didn't see it), but it's great as a lubricant too! Because it's a product of nature, it's better for both man and woman than the most fabricated lubricants.
I'm sorry if this is weird to say... but I wanted to share it :P

julierockhead
August 31st, 2011, 11:09 AM
There is one use I haven't seen in this tread yet (mayb I just didn't see it), but it's great as a lubricant too! Because it's a product of nature, it's better for both man and woman than the most fabricated lubricants.
I'm sorry if this is weird to say... but I wanted to share it :P

Not weird at all! Nice that it tastes and smells nice and is good for ya too :eyebrows:.

Clem_Dela
August 31st, 2011, 08:43 PM
okay i just starting eating it! it's super weird by itself but I keep mine in my bathroom and i don't wanna take the entire thing downstairs and make it with toast or something.. so i just scoop some out with two fingers and eat it.

it takes me a minute to actually stick the stuff in my mouth. it's really weird. it doesn't really have a flavor... like an oil form of water.

hoping to reap the benefits from this, like some people said it was anti viral and made weight loss easier...? we'll see! :D

sibiryachka
September 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM
okay i just starting eating it! it's super weird by itself but I keep mine in my bathroom and i don't wanna take the entire thing downstairs and make it with toast or something.. so i just scoop some out with two fingers and eat it.

it takes me a minute to actually stick the stuff in my mouth. it's really weird. it doesn't really have a flavor... like an oil form of water.

hoping to reap the benefits from this, like some people said it was anti viral and made weight loss easier...? we'll see! :D

Same here - I've read it can help to lower cholestrol, so I'm giving it a try. Now, what to do with that half-jar of refined LouAna? Save it for use in body care products where I don't want the smell of coconut, I guess...

Megz
September 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Ha, you're braver than I am. I usually fry with it (I keep a separate jar in the kitchen, just so there's not as much contamination), though I sometimes put a tiny dollop in my coffee or tea. A bit oily, but my lips felt great - bonus! Just remember not go too crazy with it, since it's also anti-fungal and you don't want to get rid of the "good" fungus our bodies need. Small amount should be OK though.

Clem_Dela
September 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
ohh, in tea... i never thought of that! i think i'll try that this afternoon.

I also tried the scalp massage this morning- i use a mixture of coconut oil and lavender oil. I think Jasmine would make it smell nicer, though; probably gonna pick up a bottle of that as soon as i can.

sibiryachka
September 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but have heard it works well in smoothies. And on popcorn, yum!

SilverMcFly17
September 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM
Not sure if any of this has been posted yet.. So here it goes. I use coconut oil literally from head to toe. Also all over my kids. DS got scratched by our family cat and I put coconut oil on it and in 3 days it was gone, can't even tell it was there.

From my experience ingesting coconut oil is a NO NO with the refined. TMI warning, It is a painful colon cleanse. That happened with less than a Tablespoon of the refined. I have been taking 3 tablespoons of EVOrganic Coconut oil with absolutely no ill effects. And it was helping me lose weight. (I ran out and need more)

I have tried and tried to use it as a leave in condish but it does not work for my fine hair. It looks like I poured baby oil on my ends. :( But it is great as an overnight DT.

Coconut oil has also been claimed to cure HIV and Aids, Fibromyalga, Arthritis, Acid Reflux.. All kinds of things I can't remember right now. Google it or go to Earthclinic.com and search it. It's amazing.

OH I almost forgot. I cured an abscessed tooth with it. I still need a root canal, but the pain and pus sack is gone.:cheese::cheese::cheese:

Clem_Dela
September 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I haven't tried this yet, but have heard it works well in smoothies. And on popcorn, yum!

My family always uses coconut oil to pop popcorn! It works wonderfully. best popcorn i've ever eaten :eyebrows:

Ha, you're braver than I am. I usually fry with it (I keep a separate jar in the kitchen, just so there's not as much contamination), though I sometimes put a tiny dollop in my coffee or tea. A bit oily, but my lips felt great - bonus! Just remember not go too crazy with it, since it's also anti-fungal and you don't want to get rid of the "good" fungus our bodies need. Small amount should be OK though.

I just tried it in tea and my lips feel so good! better than any chapstick i've used. this'll be a regular for me :)

SilverMcFly17
September 1st, 2011, 01:42 PM
Shoot, I almost forgot. I use it as butter in cookies and all kinds of baked stuff. My picky DH is none the wiser and I'm a happy woman. HAHAHAHA:demon:

Megz
September 2nd, 2011, 03:20 AM
I'll have to try that in the cookies. Glad the tea worked out, Clem_Dela.

Just as a head's up, I just bought some more Nutiva (http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_2)on Amazon (am literally scraping the jar). I noticed they have a promo code going on for this month for 10% off the 15oz 2-pack, which is listed on the page if anyone's interested (assuming US-only). Can also get 15% if you subscribe, which I think can be canceled at any time and set at certain intervals. Came just shy of $13 for 2, no tax.

Clem_Dela
September 2nd, 2011, 07:36 AM
I get mine for $5 at H.E.B :-) I don't buy the "organic" stuff though. Just pure, unrefined coconut oil

chelseamichelle
September 2nd, 2011, 08:01 AM
Even though I bought it for my hair, I use it almost exclusively as a moisturizer. When I get out of the shower I slather it on my arms and legs and sometimes face.

I find it too thick and heavy for my fine hair, and I can never wash it out completely so it just builds up.

Clem_Dela
September 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
yeah, my hair gets very stringy if i use it too frequently... now i don't use it more than a few times a week. Tried the scalp massage the other day and couldn't shampoo it all out of my hair.

however, my poor damaged hair drinks the stuff up every time i use it, even though it looks stringy afterwards.

my skin loves it too! quite a lot

xovictoryxo
September 2nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
i put it in my hair although my hair always looks greasy even if I use just a little bit,
It is great in my daughters hair
I use it to moisturize my body and lips - never thought for my lips however,
wonderful ideas in this thread i had to suscribe! very interesting about using it as an aid for weightloss

cmg
September 2nd, 2011, 08:40 PM
it takes me a minute to actually stick the stuff in my mouth.
Ughh, it would take me considerably more than a minute to get the oil down. I couldnt eat anything with a fatty taste like this :justy: But it is great stuff in the hair or mixed as a shower-gel.

I have tried and tried to use it as a leave in condish but it does not work for my fine hair. It looks like I poured baby oil on my ends. But it is great as an overnight DT.

It works really great with my very fine babyhair, used in all sorts of ways. I think it might work better for 2:s and 3:s rather than people with straight hair. People with straight hair are less prone to having porous and dry hair than curlies, unless chemically treated of course.

Mixture for a shower gel:
(Not actually gel-like or anything posh, just an idea for perfume allergic people like myself)

1 tablespoon perfume-free liquid dishwasher (or Prell or something)
1 teaspoon glycerine (=glycerol, =propantriol)
85 ml coconut oil (or palm oil or rapeseed/canola oil)

Mix this in a bottle/jar
Shake or stir from time to time during first 24 hours

If you use a runny oil instead of coconut oil, it will stay fluid at room temperature and can be squeezed out from a dispenser. CO stays fluid above 22-23 degrees Celsius.

You can scent this with some 20 drops of your favourite perfume oils
You may also use almond oil or EVOO, but then take up to 5 ml less oil, it gets a little thick I think.
It might be a little drying for the face for most people, but I can use it there also because I´ve had "oily teenager skin" all my life. This is the only way I can use coconut oil on my skin. I get pimples if I use it pure. I also get pimples when it gets in contact with my neck during overnight treatments. It´s comedogen. :cool: My hair loves it though. I can put practically half a jar in it overnight and it´s gone in the morning.

I buy coconut oil in thaifood shops, pay about 3 Euro for a 500 ml jar. In the healthfood shop I have to pay more than 20 Euro for the same stuff. Ridiculous!

Clem_Dela
September 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
i'm getting used to the flavor. The fatty flavor doesn't bother me too much. I guess it's cause I'm American :P

mathnerd
September 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM
This may have already been asked/answered else where, but I haven't found it, so I thought I would ask here. I've recently started using coconut oil. For the most part just light oilings before bed. My question is: when using conditioner to remove heavier oilings, do you just put the condition on your "dry" hair and leave it for an hour or so, or is it better to wet the hair before putting on the conditioner?

Thanks!

Columbia River
September 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Face, hands, melt with chocolate chips for ice cream shell...and my favorite "butt balm" or to heal diaper rash.

Columbia River
September 4th, 2011, 11:38 PM
...does it wash out easily if you oil your hair with it?

Alacris~
September 5th, 2011, 02:47 AM
It washes out really easily on my hair.

I just tried scooping some oil out of the jar en eating it. I should keep using it with baking, because I still feel sick. I guess it's the fatty and weird consistency.

katienoonan
September 5th, 2011, 02:53 AM
I left my tub at my old house when I was moving out... :(

BUT! I used to use it for:
Soothing itchy legs after shaving
Removing all waterproof make-up (works like a DREAM! I use olive oil now..)
Soothing the Keratosis Polaris on my upper arms
Oiling my brows and lashes
Massaging my boobs and bum (for growth and softness!) :couch:

It was pretty waxy on my hair so I used it for all sorts of other things... it was a great investment!

:wethree:

PixxieStix
September 7th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I have used coconut milk all my life for making food, and a few weeks ago picked up my first jar of Nutiva organic, virgin, unrefined coconut oil, and have found a few uses for it:

-A few drops over my hands and run through my hair for added shine (still working on whether it works better for me dry or damp) and as a leave in conditioner.

-Mixed with brown sugar for a yummy body scrub in the shower.

-All over body moisturizer after a shower (will need to try soaking in a bath with it soon!)

-I use it to moisturize my face at night, and even though I have combination acne prone skin (not a clear day in my life since I was 14!), it has reduced my breakouts. SOOOO happy about that!

-Mix it with mashed avocado and honey for a deep conditioning treatment that leaves my hair feeling heavenly!

-Eye make up remover.

-And, of course, I eat it! It's soooooo yummy, I can't resist a few small spoonfuls a day and joked with my FH that it might replace ice cream in the house. I'm going to try using it for baking in the future, and see how it goes using it to replace EVOO in a few instances.

I only started eating it a few days ago, and hope in a few weeks I see even more improvement in my skin, which has always been super dry. It does take quite a while for it to soak in topically , so if I attack from both sides I hope to see the skin I've always dreamed of. I used to have an almost no fat diet (just due to eating habits, not because of a diet or anything) and with the addition of other healthy fats, am hoping to improve my skin and hair over time.

And for me, it washes out of my hair nicely with CO, if I use a lot it takes two rounds of CO, but always leaves my hair feeling super soft and shiny.
-

cmg
September 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
i'm getting used to the flavor. The fatty flavor doesn't bother me too much. I guess it's cause I'm American :P
Have you tried peanut butter in your hair yet? :D

My question is: when using conditioner to remove heavier oilings, do you just put the condition on your "dry" hair and leave it for an hour or so, or is it better to wet the hair before putting on the conditioner?

Thanks!
To me it makes more sense to wet it, so that you can lather up some foam. Depends on the conditioner used of course, but they all have some washing agent that works with water. And after some rubbing and massageing it can stay in the hair for some time (I need no more than 5 minutes, but I've heard of people leaving it in for half an hour) so that the stuff can react with the dirt/oil. Then you can lather up some more right before you rinse it all off. This makes it more effective, I think.

...does it wash out easily if you oil your hair with it?
For me, yes. Never any problems with CO or BS. My hair sucks up most of it anyways.

PixxieStix: Have you ever tried coconut milk in your hair? I am working up my guts to try something new next hairwash maybee

bookworm_10
September 7th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I put it on my hair as a prewash treatment. And use it on my feet to take care of the really dry skin

Lissandria
September 8th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Got my first tub of Virgin coconut oil today. Was a little concerned it would make my fine hair too oily, but so far so good. Love the way it feels on my ends. I have also being using it as lip balm. It smells f****** godly!

Clem_Dela
September 8th, 2011, 07:10 AM
mmm. I may buy a jar of the virgin stuff. i just have the straight, pure coconut oil.. it was a few dollars cheaper :~)

PixxieStix
September 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
PixxieStix: Have you ever tried coconut milk in your hair? I am working up my guts to try something new next hairwash maybee

I have, but only in a mask. I used it on my baby brother's WL hair, my fiance's hair and my little sister's hair for a 2 hour conditioning treatment (but not myself for some reason?) when I went home last, and the results were AMAZING on all of them. My baby brother even said he was going to keep doing it because he liked the results so much. (Sometimes I don't know how on earth he got his hair so freaking long with as much neglect as he has put it through (shampoo every day, rips through with a brush, hair elastic in the same spot every day, no braiding at night or silk pillowcase, etc.)) But, when I mixed 1 can coconut milk, 1 smashed ripe avocado and about 1/4 cup honey, I left it in for an hour to hour and a half and HOLY **** my hair has never been that soft and smooth in my life!

Lissandria
September 9th, 2011, 04:45 AM
mmm. I may buy a jar of the virgin stuff. i just have the straight, pure coconut oil.. it was a few dollars cheaper :~)

If you like coconuts, the smell of the virgin stuff most definitely is worth the extra money :D

xovictoryxo
September 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Well, let me start by saying that I'm often willing to be my own human guinea pig . . . I use my own body for many experiments that later end up benefitting my family . . . at least the successful ones.

So early this fall I was looking into many different natural bathing methods and also a way to use an abundance of turmeric I had on hand for cooking. I read how in India turmeric is mixed with oil and used as a face/body scrub that not only exfoliates but the turmeric itself has properties that is healing to skin. I believe I also read something about it also being used to remove unwanted hair.

Now I will admit that I did read somewhere a caution about fair skinned people taking on the yellowish color of the turmeric but that this wasn't a huge issue for dark skinned people. But I reasoned . . . how bad could it be?

So I jumped into my shower with my turmeric and oil body scrub and applied it to my dry skin - A L L over. I do yoga so I had no trouble reaching all those difficult areas on my back . . . I'm nothing if not thorough.

After I really worked and scrubbed and felt I was polished clean, I began the rinsing.

OMG, there was a vivid yellow wash running off my body, hitting the walls and shower curtain and running down the tub. My bathroom tub, tiles and curtain is white . . . well, it WAS white. But I wasn't all that concerned, it would wash off. But I was amazed how the yellow just kept coming. The more I rinsed, the more the yellow river flowed. I though there would be no end to it.

Finally, blissfully, I got to the point where the water was running clear. There were some yellow stained areas at the bottom of the tub and on the tiles and curtains but I knew that would come off with bleach if I had to resort to that.

Then I drew back the shower curtains and looked across at the mirror over the sink for the 'reveal'. I shouldn't have been surprised and yet, somehow I never quite imagined it. I expected, perhaps, a bit of a yellow glow. But I was more of an orangey-golden tone and nearly glowing with it. Oompa Loompa came to mind and I actually started playing the little Oompa Loompa song in my mind as I gazed in amazement at my new complexion.

It truly was funny as all get out. Thank heavens I was home alone. I jumped back in the shower and began washing again with lots and lots of lathering and scrubbing.

When I emerged again I was still a pale yellow but nothing that my husband even noticed. He is a man . . . not the most observant creature on the planet.

So I had a private chuckle and a good story to share with my friends who already know me as a crazy old lady because my motto is, "I'll try anything once, twice if I like it."
:spitting:this had me in tears! lololol!
I drank a teaspoon of tumeric in my milk to heal me after I had my c section, Not sure if it worked, but it was tasty anyhow ;)

xovictoryxo
September 9th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just bought some certified organic Virgin Coconut oil, cold-pressed unrefined (Brand is NOW Healthy foods) from the health food store. WOW what a difference from the stuff I bought in the grocery store, I was wondering how some of you ate the oil as the other bottle I have is terrible bland with 0 taste, but now... ooh wow, tastes and smells wonderful, makes all the difference in the world!! :) :disco:
What in the world will I do with the rest of that unloved unsmelly un tasty coconut oil? lol

this will be me tonight :) :stirpot:

xovictoryxo
September 13th, 2011, 11:15 AM
i want to report that I used this coconut oil as a moisturizer and my blemishes have dissapeared!

Buffy
September 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
@ xovictoryxo Wow, that's amazing!!! Maybe i should try it!

I asked my mom to buy me a coconut oil , and she brought me one, from the pharmacy.

It's not in its proper container, it is actually in the pharmacy's container and there's only a hand writen label saying "coconut oil"

It's scentless.

I used it on my hair and it seems to work amazingly!

Now, the thing is, for those of you who have tried the "extra virgin coconut oil" and the scentless one, have you noticed a HUGE difference?

Could it be that it's actually doing nothing for my hair, except for adding the shine (which any oil would give) ?

To sum it up, is there a HUGE difference between the extra virgin and the regular scntless one?

Buffy
September 15th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Ok, i'll make another try: When you use coconut oil on your face as a moisturiser, do you use it on dry face? Without any kind of cream underneath?

wooliswonderful
September 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I ran out of shave gel & I've been using coconut oil to shave my legs since about a week & a half ago. I like being able to actually see what I'm doing. My legs are soft & smooth & I haven't had to use a separate lotion. I think they're actually softer than the old way. :)

I've also been using the oil to wash my face when I wear make-up and as an overnight pre-wash treatment . My hair hardly tangles anymore when I wear it down, and I've only had to finger-comb the past week. :)

xovictoryxo
September 15th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I tend to put the oil on my face after I get out of the shower or after I wash my face, and its always at night time.
My skin is remarkably clearer and actually brighter. :)

swearnsue
September 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I like to give a little CO in the doggies food. I also oil them after I oil my own hair. I tried putting some on the kitty but she didn't appreciate it, just gave me a dirty look, per usual.

Buffy
September 16th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Thank you @xovictoryxo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=14708) :)

sibiryachka
September 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
I like to give a little CO in the doggies food. I also oil them after I oil my own hair. I tried putting some on the kitty but she didn't appreciate it, just gave me a dirty look, per usual.

Try letting her lick it off your hands. Eating it will benefit her skin & coat; I learned this from my Italian-American BFF who adds olive oil to her pets' food - their coats are always fantastically glossy and soft.

My cat Missy has learned to recognize the sound of my coconut oil tin and comes running for a lick whenever she hears me open it. :p Luckily for me she seems not to like the taste of coconut, so she'll only eat the less-expensive refined stuff that has no flavor.

xovictoryxo
September 16th, 2011, 11:51 AM
ok I have been taking 2 tsp a day for a week and my jeans fit looser already. wild!!
I think I am going to order a big tub of it. One tiny jar wont be enough for long. lol

ssjhotau2
September 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I use it to oil my hair over night before a wash.
I use it on my hands as a moisturizer and I used it on my tummy for stretchmarks.

greentealeaf
September 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Let's see...
-scalp massage
-deep conditioning treatment
-deodorant
-moisturizer
-daily in green smoothies
-lots of raw dessert recipes
-on eyebrows and eyelashes
-eye makeup remover
-hubby eats it on popcorn

Coconut oil is just one of those magical things...:cloud9:

hisprincess
October 29th, 2011, 01:04 PM
How do you all store your coconut oil? I've had mine about 3 weeks. The first week it was its normal hard consistency, the second week there was a small liquidy puddle at the top, and today I opened the can and it was completely liquid (right before I spilled it all over the floor!). The heat is up in my apartment today due to the crazy October snow in my area, but still. Does your coconut oil normally melt? And do you think that makes it less effective or anything?

SilverMcFly17
October 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Coconut oil has a lower melting point than other "hard" oils. It is completely normal for it to become liquid above 77 degrees c. It does not reduce it in quality or effectiveness at all. Coconut oil has a very long shelf life even if subjected to fluctuating temperatures. If you prefer to use it hard then store it in the refrigerator.

hisprincess
October 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Oh good, thanks! Now I just have to buy some more. :o

dili
December 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM
i use it in my scalp and massage
in my whole body ( but not in my face, it makes me break out) it makes my body really soft, i have dry skin specially in the winter, and i stoped getting crazy stretch marks in the back of my knee
i soak my hair with it and leave it overnight and wash next day
i put a little bit in my lenght after i co wash
everyday in the end of my hair, to prevent split ends
a little bit in the curls when it open, to shape them back
in my nose scar, it really helped, now i dont have a ``bump`` scar, its a little bit dark in the area

omnivore
December 4th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Everywhere and in everything! Currently I have a jar of it sitting on the fireplace hearth to soften for after-bath lotion. I use it on my face and in baking. I soak my ends with it when I remember. Sometimes, I put in on oatmeal instead of butter. Ummm...highlight --->We use it in the bedroom, too!

Neya
December 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I want to get coconut oil but I'm very acne prone(including scalp). I know it's listed as very comedogenic, but is that refined or unrefined? Which version is least comedogenic? And does it smell like coconuts?

So far I've used sweet almond oil(love the smell, but didnt make hair feel much better) and a mixture of avocado & jojoba which I love but have to be careful not to get on scalp or face.

Ashenputtel
December 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I want to get coconut oil but I'm very acne prone(including scalp). I know it's listed as very comedogenic, but is that refined or unrefined? Which version is least comedogenic? And does it smell like coconuts?

So far I've used sweet almond oil(love the smell, but didnt make hair feel much better) and a mixture of avocado & jojoba which I love but have to be careful not to get on scalp or face.
If you have to be carefull with jojoba and avocado, I would not even consider coconut oil near your face.

The extra virgin version is very penetrating, it's great for the body.

jesis
December 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I realized recently that if I oil my hair pre-wash with coconut oil, it makes my waves more pronounced, have more of a solid pattern, less tangly, and more shiny! Yay!

Annibelle
December 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I use it on my ends occasionally. SO uses it to combat dry skin under his beard and as a lip balm! :)

Chetanlaiho
December 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
What d&#243;n't I use it for? xD I have two seperate jars, one in the bathroom for moisturizing, I use a bit on my ends during the week, a pre-wash DT, in a pinch as body lotion, use it on my KP arms and cheeks and if I remember stretch marks on my inner thighs. I have another one in the kitches for putting it on peanut butter sandwiches/crackers and I use it to bake/fry(?) food.

Amazinggrace
December 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have never used coconut oil, but after reading this thread, I am going to pick some up the next time I'm at the grocery. It is amazing, that it has so many good properties. Thank you for the information.

dmarie16
December 7th, 2011, 04:15 AM
popping popcorn!!!! Yummy

Zenjam
December 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I take a bunch of it and put it in my hair. Put my hair up in a knot, and sleep with it in overnight :)
And then I just wash my hair as normally in the morning.

BlondieHepburn
December 7th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Oh, coconut oil! The best multi-purpose oil I've ever discovered. Just a few things I use it for:

• Hair (duh)
• Skin (entire body incl. face)
• A substitute for butter on my toast (It's delicious!)
• Nightly on my eyelashes
• An ingredient in my homemade lip balm
• My husband and I love it for personal reasons :agree: hehe

And it's inexpensive! Oh, coconut oil, I love you.

JuliaDancer
December 7th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I use a little bit on my ends to keep them from getting dry, sometimes I soak my hair in it and braid it overnight before wash days, and I use it as makeup remover and body lotion.

kidari
December 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
it's awesome in place of butter when making french toast : )

cubiczoeconia
December 15th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I have my first coconut oil DT on my head right now! I'm excited to see the results after perusing this thread.

dmarie16
December 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I love the smell of coconut, so I try to use it in any oil mixture I use to make it smell better. I like it in SMT, but just a small amount if I don't plan to wash afterwards. I do a heavy oiling with coconut oil if I plan to use an herbal paste. You would think it would block the absorption of the herbs, but it really doesn't! It makes the wash out easier.:)

AlabasterAlice
December 16th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Am I in the minority here or do other ladies use it as lube too?

I cook with it, put it in my hair, and I may start taking it (by the spoonful) for a few weeks for health reasons.

maria_tasha
December 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM
While I just bought my first coconut oil a couple of weeks ago I just love it on my hair and skin. The only drawback is the price. Here virgin coconut oil is not as cheap: aprox: 4 euros (5 dollars) for 100ml (Speaking for a country where the minimum wage is less than 250 euros).
But my hair loves it so I'll keep on using it only for this.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I use it over braids for shine and deep co and I adore it in cooking :p i dare you to fine one person on the site who doesn't like it.

Neya
February 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I use it over braids for shine and deep co and I adore it in cooking :p i dare you to fine one person on the site who doesn't like it.

I *thought* i'd hate it. Seriously, anything coconut I've ever encountered I've been somewhere between meh-hate-GAG. The only exception ever being the smell of coconut milk (slightly). Yes, I even hate pina coladas... And most things with real coconut shavings.
Well I bought 2 jars from Trader joe's. I figured even if I hated it that I could use it for making soap or cooking in small amounts.
The smell of real coconuts, in such a light scent, is amazing.

Anyways, so far I use it in my hair after a shower, or for deeper moisturizing pre-shower. I've also rubbed it into legs/elbows. Really nice. I tried some on my face (possibly a bad idea) and started to break out - but I've done many different things lately with my skin so I won't say THAT was it.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I *thought* i'd hate it. Seriously, anything coconut I've ever encountered I've been somewhere between meh-hate-GAG. The only exception ever being the smell of coconut milk (slightly). Yes, I even hate pina coladas... And most things with real coconut shavings.
Well I bought 2 jars from Trader joe's. I figured even if I hated it that I could use it for making soap or cooking in small amounts.
The smell of real coconuts, in such a light scent, is amazing.

Anyways, so far I use it in my hair after a shower, or for deeper moisturizing pre-shower. I've also rubbed it into legs/elbows. Really nice. I tried some on my face (possibly a bad idea) and started to break out - but I've done many different things lately with my skin so I won't say THAT was it.

I love anything trader joes! I get my coconut oil there too, have you tried their shampoos? They are 110% natural :D

littleizz
February 24th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Haha, so glad to see that other ladies here use it... with a friend... ;) Other than that, I slather myself in it after showers and occasionally use it as a lip balm.

But it seems a lot of people put it on plain toast?? I'll have to try that!!

Neya
February 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I love anything trader joes! I get my coconut oil there too, have you tried their shampoos? They are 110% natural :D

I recently started going back there. I hadn't been to one since I was a little girl. I thought about trying the shampoos/conditioners but then I'm not going through much shampoo lately and I bought 12 bottles of vo5 recently (.70 sale @ normal grocery).

I do LOVE their %100 cranberry juice

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I recently started going back there. I hadn't been to one since I was a little girl. I thought about trying the shampoos/conditioners but then I'm not going through much shampoo lately and I bought 12 bottles of vo5 recently (.70 sale @ normal grocery).

I do LOVE their %100 cranberry juice

That is so strange I just bought 12 bottles of vo5 co as well! :)

whitedove
February 25th, 2012, 05:25 PM
:kitten:

I have just started using on my hair to reduce frizz and just noticed my cats fur is looking shiney too. My cat likes the smell so he jumps up, sits on my knee and gets fussed. With it being natural I am guessing it cant hurt him, just hope other cats dont bully him for being a pretty boy :P

blondyhead
February 25th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Other than using it for hair related stuff, i put in on my toast as a cholesterol free butter, then spread honey on top- LUSH :D!!

lostchyld
February 25th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I use it on wet hair in combination with my regular leave in as a pomade. It works really well on my curls. Today I just used the oil because I sat with conditioner in my hair for a couple hours this morning and my hair felt a little overwhelmed.

I also put it on my legs as a base coat after shaving. They get so dry that I smear Corn Husker's hand lotion all over them after shaving too. Or just try really hard to deal with fuzzy legs, which is getting unacceptable to me.

maborosi
February 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I usually use it as a pretreatment for coloring my hair with henna. That way, my hair is not dry afterwards, and there's no interference with the color uptake! Yay!

Otherwise, I don't use it for cooking or anything.

~maborosi~

amberpotamus
February 25th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Inspired by this thread, I decided to buy a jar of coconut oil to actually eat (I would have used the same jar I use for my hair, but I've been digging that out with my fingers for months... Eww). I'm doing two table spoons every morning on chocolate gram crackers plus almond butter... It's pretty delicious, and I can already say that my skin is looking nicer after only a week (and this is usually the worst week of the month for my skin, lol)! Can't wait to see what other lovely things it causes! (Dropping a few pounds is pretty high on my list of things I'd be delighted over!)

jbn
February 25th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I've been using coconut on my hair for a few months, but after reading this thread I now have other ideas. I have a hypothyroid so I guess I'll start eating coconut oil tomorrow to see if it helps. Our cats love it too.

Great ideas here.

jbn

Mesmerise
February 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I drink it in peppermint tea :p. I read about the benefits of consuming it (ie weight loss) so started doing it a few weeks ago.

I have NOT lost weight, but my skin is so much nicer! I used to have much drier arms and legs, and even my facial skin appears better too.

I am going to up my "dose" to 3 tbsp a day and see how I do.

I also put it on my hair occasionally, and use it as a moisturiser on my face. I am a little iffy about that though, as I've had more acne lately, and I've heard that coconut oil can clog the pores and lead to acne.

I don't really like to cook with it, as I don't like the flavour that it imparts to food... (unless it's a food that goes well with a coconutty flavour). However, I've been able to drink it in tea without too many problems!

akissandapunch
March 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hm. I bought some Tropical Traditions-brand virgin coconut oil over the internet about a month ago, and I really enjoy the way it feels on my hair, so in that sense it was a worthwhile investment, I guess....BUT--

I'm really disappointed about the smell. I actually adore the scent of coconuts; I would never get sick of that scent. In the jar, this stuff smells like macaroons. MMM. Unfortunately, it smells gross my hair or on my skin, like something kind of sour maybe. Or even like popcorn sometimes. Is the oil rancid? Should I ask for an exchange or should I just get through it by adding vanilla essential oil or lime? The expiration date printed on the jar is something like one or two years from now. I feel pretty disappointed because I thought this would be a really good brand, and I'm afraid to buy another brand for fear that it'd be a similarly disappointing purchase. D:

I have no idea what I should do; I can barely stand this unexpected smell!! I'd really appreciate any suggestions or advice, though.

einna
March 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I mostly use it for pre wash oilings and as a leave in. I have used it for cooking a few times to. This thread is very interesting, I think I will find even more uses for it now. :)

Scarlett brooke
March 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Some great ideas on here iv stopped using coconut oil but I should really make more effort. I'm trying to look after my hair but I get bored then colour it then bleach it then cut bits off it doesn't seem to be too bad considering the amount of abuse I give it blow dry flat irons heated rollers curling wand toners bleach bleach an more bleach! Poor hair

Zydrate
March 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I use it as a pre-wash treatment in cobmination with almond and castor oil and it does wonders <3. Also I sometimes use it as a "leave in" after I conditioned my hair with.

Zydrate
March 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=Zydrate;2029943]I use it as a pre-wash treatment in cobmination with almond and castor oil and it does wonders <3. Also I sometimes use it as a "leave in" after conditioning/QUOTE]

Bedhead
March 7th, 2012, 07:36 AM
My favourite coconut oil is Ojio. It's a raw organic coconut oil and smells wonderful. I use it to wash my face, but have also used it to remove heavy sebum when I was transitioning on WO. In this way, 15 minutes before I washed, I'd massage the coconut oil into my scalp and the top portion of my hair, and threw some on my ends for good measure.

neet
March 8th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I've been using coconut on my hair for a few months, but after reading this thread I now have other ideas. I have a hypothyroid so I guess I'll start eating coconut oil tomorrow to see if it helps. Our cats love it too.

Great ideas here.

jbn
hey,
i think virgin coconut oil ( 1 tea spoon full every morn in empty stomach) helps in regulating thyroid hormones. It gave me result ( i had lymphocytic thyroiditis known as hashimotto 's thyroiditis)

kionkichin
March 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yesterday i bought a bottle of coconut oil, i can't wait to use it!! First i'll use it on my ends since they're a bit damaged, let's see if it makes wonders :D

malwes
March 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I usually use it once a week, leaving on my hair 2-6 hours before shampooing (depending if weekend or working day). Sometimes I use a drop as a leave-in on my endings.

Malwes

BBdck1
March 13th, 2012, 03:53 AM
I use it after my hair is dry from a wash as a leave-in. Lately, I've been apply applying it more liberally as a pre-wash.

irishlady
March 13th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I apply it the day before I wash that night, on dry hair, or about 2 days before I wash and wear it up, I don't apply it to clean or wet hair.

afu
March 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM
I use it on my hair as either a pre-wash treatment, added to conditioner after clarifying and applying to damp hair after washing (usually use CO technique).

I also use it as a skin and facial moisturiser (everyone's skin is different, but as long as i only apply a little bit its amazing on my face, prevents spots and gives me an even skin tone).

I use it mixed with baby lotion to shave my legs, and also apply a bit afterwards too - works brilliantly :)

Tried it to cook with (try it in pancake mixture) but i don't really like the taste of coconut much

I've heard of people applying it to their eyelashes so speed up growth

SilverMcFly17
March 29th, 2012, 07:29 AM
afu, did you know you can get refined coconut oil that has no flavor for cooking? It does make amazingly fluffy pancakes. It's called LouAna and is about $6u.s.d.

afu
March 29th, 2012, 09:17 AM
silvermcfly - yeah im not sure if im that bothered about including it in my diet, i was just experimenting, but thank you. I've also heard that it speeds up metabolism when eaten regularly and as i'm borderline hyperthyroid and often struggle to keep my weight up i don't want to risk eating a lot of it

wavykisses
March 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I make deodorant with it. Some Shea butter, coconut oil, corn starch, rose petal powder, clay and baking soda best thing ever and it smells like marshmallows

janeytilllie
March 30th, 2012, 03:32 AM
My method as changed alot
First I use coconut oil as a leave in overnight treatment before washing. I apply a very heavy amount. My hair likes it better that way :)

I will alway apply alittle coconut oil on dry freshly washed hair and leave on.

afu
March 30th, 2012, 06:44 AM
also i mix it into my intensive conditioner to give it an extra boost, works great when left on for a few hours.

Also apply it before bleaching to chelate the free radicals produced by peroxide and reduce damage, worked a treat :)

xsweetpotatox
April 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM
I use it as an overnight pre-shampoo treatment once a week.

It's also great for cooking :D

leilasahhar
April 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM
This is the only oil that makes my skin glow..but only the unscented coconut oil does, don't know why that is but I find that the virgin coconut oil smells toooo sweet and causes me to break out.

;)
"Lady Sahhar of the Night Jeweled Desert, Mistress of Moonlit Mountains in the order of the Long Haired Knights"

Vampyria
April 3rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
I use it as a pre- wash treatment and put it on the washed damp hair.

I use it when I have a cold on dry skin under my nose.

Steaks on coconut oil are just yummy and I put it in a curry if I don't have coconut milk.

And I also use it as makeup remover.

afu
April 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
i find that if i apply it on my face too close to my eyes i get really bad dry, itchy skin on that delicate under-eye region. Everywhere else it's fab to replace moisturiser!

nesser33
May 19th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I use coconut oil mainly as an overnight oil treatment for my hair. I put it in my hair, apply heat for a few minutes, wrap it in a shower cap, and sleep on it. I also rub the oil onto my arms and legs when my skin is really dry.

BunnyWabbit
May 20th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I mostly do it as an overnight oil treatment the night before cleaning also. I put a lot in, then do it up in a bun till morning. On occasion I also rub the excess on my hands into my skin, but for me it's too oily for use on my face, so I usually put it in my upper arms where i get the occasional dry red bump.

autumn leaves
May 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I use it on my face and my body more than my hair, but I sometimes apply it to my ends, either as an overnight treatment or for half an hour or so before I wash my hair.

SnowWhite
May 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I use it as a deep treatment for my hair and for regular oiling when my hair needs it.

But I use it mostly for my body and skin and as a deodorant. I've found the perfect skin treatment for my face:

I was looking for the right skin care routine for my face and wanted to go as natural as possible. I use coconut oil as a moisturizer.
I used regular cleansers but found that they were too aggressive. I switched to rinsing my face with water only, in the morning and evening. It still didn't work. So what I'm doing now to clean my face is taking a cotton pad with coconut oil and rub it gently on my face to remove dirt. Then I take clean cotton pads to remove the excess. It gives me a very soft, clean and clear skin. My skin used to be dry but it's very moistured now. The Coconut oil is my cleanser & moisturizer! And I listen to my skin and use it only when my skin needs it.
I rinse my face with water when I'm showering, every other day.
I thought that if NW/SO works for some for their hair, why do I feel 'forced' to use water on a daily basis to clean the skin of my face?

And coconut oil is very important for my hands. I love oil painting but I'm clumsy, so after painting I find that my hands are full of paint.. So I rub a large amount of CO on my hands. Now you can remove almost every paint, by washing your hands or removing it with a tissue!

BrightEyes
May 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I mainly use coconut oil as a pre-treatment before touching up my highlights. It seems to help protect my hair from some of the resulting dryness and damage. I haven't had any success with it as a hair moisturizer. Sometimes I use it as a night eyes cream. And when my DD5 got into my makeup it was fantastic at removing foundation and eyeshadow an inch thick:D

faellen
May 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I use it in a couple of ways for my hair.

I slather it on my hair (below the ears) and then tie up in a bun, cover with a shower cap and leave in overnight. Then wash my hair in the morning.

I will also use a very small amount when BBB'ing using the method in heidi's youtube video. I have to use only a little bit so my hair is shiny but not greasy.

As for non-hair purposes, my tattooist recommended coconut oil to aid in tattoo healing. Worked very well for me :)

Bibliotreka
June 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I use it instead of lotion, put it in my hair, and it's replaced my facial moisturizer as well. I love the stuff. Oh, and I use it instead of EVOO when I stir fry.

Tawnylioness
June 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM
i have been using a coconut oil that i bought from a health food shop, it says the only ingredients are the coconut oil...i bought a new bottle from an indian shop the other day and realised that this new bottle smells wonderfully coconutty, whereas my old bottle smelt of nothing really...i love this new one but makes me wonder what have i been using this whole time with the old one

goldnymph
June 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I have been using coconut oil for a couple of weeks now, and I keep finding new uses for it.

It's the perfect leave in conditioner for me.
It works great to detangle when I've done a WO wash.
Massaging it in to my hands and nails daily has made them very soft, smooth, and healthy.
Wearing my hair down sometimes leaves a slight coconut oil residue on my back and shoulders, and although initially it caused a bit of a breakout, once my skin became used to it the skin there quickly grew soft and healthy. As a bonus, whenever my boyfriend rubs my shoulders/back there is already a massage oil in place! ;)

hyettf16
June 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I use it heavily in my hair before washing.
After a shower I use it on my elbows and knees because they tend to get dry and nasty.

evieisocoolike
June 10th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Everything! :disco:

pandora114
June 10th, 2012, 06:36 PM
*blush* I use it after I shampoo, just a little near the ends of my hair. and I use it for *coughsexlubecoughhackblushwedontusecondomsatleast coughhack*

mighty hairball sorry

Tawnylioness
June 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM
*blush* I use it after I shampoo, just a little near the ends of my hair. and I use it for *coughsexlubecoughhackblushwedontusecondomsatleast coughhack*

mighty hairball sorry

Bahahahah! mmm coconuty :D

pandora114
June 11th, 2012, 04:50 AM
yup. Anti-fungal anti-microbial all around good. lol has more staying power and less sticky than your average water based stuff >.> Just not latex friendly. Great massage oil too. Can add other essential oils to it to give a warm or tingly sensation. Coconut oil, is there anything you CAN NOT do? (other than being latex friendly, that's a chemical impossibility due to the limitations of latex)

We don't use it in that way very often mind you...only after my surgery last year. I need to pick more up soon. Along with some more henna. I wish I could find stuff other than Colora around here *sigh* SOO GRITTY.

Astraea
June 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
It unfortunately makes my curls feel like straw, clogs my scalp and causes it to itch. It also clogs my face so it's a no-no as a face oil cleanser or emollient : (

I however love it for oil pulling and as a post-shower body oil : )

honeybunnie8
June 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I use it for deep conditioner, oiling my hair after I shower, on my skin but not my face..lube:p lol
I also use it on my baby as lotion, diaper cream and a smidgen in his hair sometimes.

Ambystoma
June 13th, 2012, 07:13 AM
You can add me to the Coconut Oil fan club! I use it for:
Pre wash overnight oilings
Post wash as a leave in treatment for my ends
Cuticle balm
Bath additive
Massage oil with yummy smelling EO's
Body cream for dry bits (especially applied heavily to feet under socks before bed)
and as a cat treat :D since kitty comes running when he hears me open the lid. Funnily enough, he used to be a huge shedder until he started eating it and now I can cuddle him without needing to change my shirt. Not sure if it's just coincidence but since I can't find any information suggesting it's bad for him, I'll keep letting him nibble it.

Also, I never thought to try it as an, erm, intimate aid before. Thanks ladies!:inlove:

Scarlet_Heart
June 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Anybody use Henna Sooq's Cocoveda Hair Oil (http://www.hennasooq.com/cocoveda-hair-oil/)?

I had been using Spectrum coconut oil and although it worked nicely, it made my hair kind of stinky. But the Cocoveda is cocounut oil with ginger, brahmi, bhringraj, henna, amla, methi, nagarmotha, neem, shikakai, and hibiscus. It smells awesome. :cloud9:

Since it smells so good, I like to use it after a wash. Rub a little in my palms and apply it to my hair when damp. Then I comb through and french braid. Wavy, shiny, fragrant hair the next day!

Tisiloves
June 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM
As a conditioning agent applyed after shampoo, but before conditioner :)

saffy2yrs
June 17th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I just bought some coconut oil, and was wondering how exactly to use it? Do you use it like conditioner - put it in your hands, work it through the hair. Or is it more over the outside bits of the hair, not worked through?

LadyTheta
June 17th, 2012, 04:16 PM
After hair washing/condition, or condition-only wash, I slather on palmfuls of coconut oil to my still wet hair, and wrap with a heated/steamed towel, for deep-conditioning.
I also apply coconut oil to the tassle of my braid, when dry.

Scarlet_Heart
June 17th, 2012, 06:26 PM
I just bought some coconut oil, and was wondering how exactly to use it? Do you use it like conditioner - put it in your hands, work it through the hair. Or is it more over the outside bits of the hair, not worked through?

Pretty much. When my hair is still wet, I like to rub some in my palms, work it through with fingers, then with a comb, french braid, and sleep. I get nice soft waves the next day.

christelia11
June 19th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I use KTC coconut oil for a deep oiling before washing...sometimes light oiling during the week...makeup remover...and to remove wax residues after I wax my legs.

elousays
June 19th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I use mine for hot oil deep conditioning mixed together with a few drops of EVOO and some herbs.

I also rub down my DBF's head with it to get rid of his flakies.

It is good for random uses around the house too, I just used it to remove a bunch of labels off of glass jars!

Tehillim408
June 19th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I use it on my length and ends. I like to apply it a bit more generously on wash day, and then a tiny amount just on the ends and lower length the rest of the week.

I also like using it as an eye makeup remover. I simply wash my face with a cleanser, and then use q-tips dipped in coconut oil to remove any eyeliner and mascara that didn't come off.

Scarlet_Heart
June 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Oh, I also like to use it on my legs after I shave. Makes them smooth and less itchy.

firevegan
June 20th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I use it to shave instead of shaving cream.

caadam
June 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM
When I DO have coconut oil, I use it for my skin. :) My skin really likes it. Hair—not so much. lol

SongofLove
June 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM
Oh god--after reading all these good things about coconut oil on here, I just bought some (cold pressed extra virgin from GNC - they had a buy one get one 1/2 off sale :D) and I just LOVE the smell and the feel of it! I put some into my freshly washed damp hair and I like how it's so light compared to olive oil--my hair seems to soak it up well. I braided my hair and I'm eager to see how it will be in the morning :) I tasted some too and it's really yummy!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas---after I see all that it can be good for, I'm glad I bought 2 jars...

hermosamendoza
September 13th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I used to put a tablespoon or two in my coffee each morning. Yummy.

bunnylake
September 14th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I like it on toast with some honey drizzled on top also.
Aaaand I like it in my hair overnight!

Here's a question. Does anyone know if fractionated coconut oil gives the same benefits to hair?

EndlessSunshine
September 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I put it in my hot cocoa, coffee, on toast, on my hair, on my face, etc....it is so nice.

kidari
September 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I mix my own body butters with it- I love the scent and it's antifungal properties to be used as a foot balm too

Drestic
September 15th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Coconut oil is my favorite thing! I use it on my skin after showering, on my hair the night before a shampoo, as a makeup remover, I whip the oil into a body butter with a hand mixer and I have also used it for oil pulling. Oil pulling was one of the most disgusting experiences of my life, I must admit, so I don't do it very often. I also use it when baking and for flavoring some homemade ice cream! Depending on how well you mix it into the homemade ice cream, there can be coconut oil chunks which get hard in the freezer and when you bite into them...mmm mmm. So good.