PDA

View Full Version : winter or summer updos

Bluebell
June 22nd, 2009, 03:50 AM
Do you have updo's you do more in winter or in summertime?
I like low buns but I keep them for summertime because of high collars on wintercoats and thick scarfs make a mess of them.
And I don't like to wear my hair down when it's freezing outside, somehow I think it is damaging my hair.
Who else keeps some updo's for summer or winter only?

Poppy Seed
June 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
I know exactly what you mean about collars messing up buns! I have to say that while I don't really keep hairdos based on the season, I'm a LOT more likely to wear my hair down during the summer because the tops I wear are silky or smooth and therefore less tangle-creating....

I also don't vary my updos enough to be able to keep them for any particular season: bun for me either with stick(s), fork, ficcare or another random hairtoy...

hellkitty
June 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
In summer I can't *stand* having my hair on my neck. It's too hot! Plus, my hair gets sweaty--gross! So my hair is always in some kind of high bun in the summer.

In winter, I'm more likely to wear my hair in a Dutch braid. Yeah, the coat collars sort of frazzle it a bit, but it's the only style I know where I can wear a nice warm hat to keep the rest of my brain warm.

HK

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
I wear my hair more down in the winter to keep me WARM but when I do wear updos they tend to cover my ears! In the summer, I do mostly braids and don't cover my ears. That's it. :D

Bluebell
June 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm a LOT more likely to wear my hair down during the summer because the tops I wear are silky or smooth and therefore less tangle-creating....

Yes, that too!

JamieLeigh
June 23rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
I tend to braid more in the winter, and bun more in the summer....I don't know why that is, but I've noticed it. Maybe it's because I just now acquired new hairsticks I want to try out! :pinktongue:

Blue Willow
June 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
In summer I braid my hair more often and sometimes use a stick to wind it around. In the evening if its a little cooler, i'll wear it half up/half down and I use the little clips w/claws, twist it and then anchor into place.

Carrie Ingalls
June 26th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I don't really change my hair dos a whole lot based on season. In summer I wear it braided more simple because in summer I tend to be more active and braids leave me more free to do anything. I also don't like my hair getting really cold in the winter.

Copasetic
June 26th, 2009, 09:50 AM
In the winter I wear my hair in a braid a lot so that I can still wear a toque. But in the summer it's almost always in a high bun because its too hot to have it touching my neck or my face.

may1em
June 26th, 2009, 11:29 AM
The main difference for me is bun placement. In the winter my buns sprout out of the back of my head or are lower, so they can be worn with a hat (I have a special one with space for a bun). In the summer, I tend to do my buns on the crown and I'm also a lot more likely to wear a cloth headband or tie a scarf around my head headband-style. This gets the wispies off of my neck!

I also have one style that I never wear in the winter that I designed to allow air through on super hot days. That style is always accompanied by a cloth headband and is the best hot-weather style I know.

Oh, also I occasionally blow dry on low with a diffuser in the winter because frozen hair or waiting inside where it's still not that warm (we keep the thermostat low to save on heating oil) for my hair to dry aren't options.