PDA

View Full Version : Rude comments about hair.

RancheroTheBee
June 22nd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Red hair really does attract attention. Sometimes, it kind of attracts the wrong attention. Sometimes I think that redheads have a reputation for having bad tempers because we get so fed up with people mentioning our hair color all the time that we snap. Or, at least that's the way it is with me. I've received a number of lewd comments and catcalls, all concerning the color of my hair. Just today, some old man made some connection between the hair on my head, and the rest of my hair.

I feel kind of bad because I feel like I brought this on to myself because I choose to make it this color. At the same time, it's the color that looks best on me, I think.

Also, I feel like I should be able to stick up for myself and say something like, "Shut up," but I never do. I just hang my head and don't say anything at all, because in real life I can be pretty shy, especially when the other person is being, quite frankly, rather threatening.

Okay. Thank you for letting me rant.

Quixii
June 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
That's awful. =(

The only rude comments I can think of about my hair colour is when people start telling dumb blonde joke. Which I actually don't find offending; they're obviously jokes and not mean. But then people do the whole, "Oh, WHOOPS, you're blonde! Oh silly me, you must be so offended." thing and that's just more offending to me, for some reason.

The connections people make between hair colour and the people are just awful. I don't understand that at all.

Bene
June 22nd, 2009, 02:13 AM
Just today, some old man made some connection between the hair on my head, and the rest of my hair.

what really gets to me is how people think it's acceptable to make those sorts of comments :mad:

Unofficial_Rose
June 22nd, 2009, 02:30 AM
I've had red hair but never for long enough to endure those sorts of comments. It is amazing what people think it is acceptable to say to another person. As for the pervy old man, well, ugh!

It really amazed me but, some people have treated me quite differently based on the colour of my hair. When it was highlighted, blonde hair I was often patronised, but got a lot of superficial attention from men. The sort who want to sleep with you without being your boyfriend! :rolleyes:

Now I'm dark, no-one ever talks down to me. People actually take me seriously, I get treated much better, and attract nicer men, on the whole.

I have to admit I was shocked at how much difference it made. :mad:

I don't know what your best response would be to these people, because anyone with manners that bad - well, I don't know if they're worth your time.

Almandine
June 22nd, 2009, 02:31 AM
When my mother was picking up boxes of dye for my most recent dye job (I wasn't even there!) the cashier had the nerve to LECTURE her on "allowing your daughter to do that to her hair".

Some people are unaware of their place in relation to the line.

Deimos
June 22nd, 2009, 02:47 AM
People can be so rude, I'm sorry you have to deal with this :( I think red hair really stands out, there are not that many redheads. I think the same goes for blond in most countries (not mine though)
I have one tip for you: mp3 player. Really. I got tired of people commenting on my clothing all the time and tired of being nice to them. If you listen to music you don't hear comments and people are less likely to talk to you.

free_hug
June 22nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Yeah, this is frustrating, and ridiculous.

But it's not a typical hair issue. Dumb/rude people are everywhere, and what's worse, a completely normal and nice person can temporarily become one under the wrong circumstances. And then if it's not red hair, then it's blond. If it's not hair, then body, or dress, or other aspects of look, if it's not the look, it's being a woman, or being a man, being young or old ...

For someone rude anything will do as a pretext. And yeah, i know about the "rest of the hair" issue of redheads, my best high school gal always had to take them :P and it feels disgusting. Only if it wasn't your red head, it would be anything else, and they'd still manage to be disgusting. And there's nothing else to do but ignoring the poor losers. Honestly, at the end of the day such behaviour is nothing but pathetic.

free_hug
June 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Oh and just one more comment. I took a look at your profile. Yor bright red is actually stunning :) i hope its just as obvious for nice people who keep flattering the color and waves.

Melisande
June 22nd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Maybe you should practice a sneering stare-down for such situations. there are simply no words to waste on creatures who say such things to you, but if you can manage to give them the very cool disgusted treatment, it should help to protect you and give you a better feeling.

This kind of behaviour is absolutely unheard of. I read a number of times that you women get this kind of remarks. Where did these men grow up, in the gutters? This is too rude for words.

You know, there is a comfort in getting older. With less attention overall comes also less undesirable attention. First of all because older women are considered less attractive but also because nobody would dare make that kind of remark to a woman of my age. Because I would come over him like a ton of bricks - exploding bricks. When I was young and insecure, I also hung my head and said nothing - but I learned that there is no reason why others should allow themselves to speak to me in an unacceptable manner.

You have my complete empathy, and I wish I could send you a protective spirit. The Romans believed that man have a genius who protects them, and women have a juno. Something like a gender-specific protective guardian angel. I would send your juno to a taek won do course - to knock out such kind of people. Oh yes.

longhairedfairy
June 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM
When my mother was picking up boxes of dye for my most recent dye job (I wasn't even there!) the cashier had the nerve to LECTURE her on "allowing your daughter to do that to her hair".

Some people are unaware of their place in relation to the line.
I would have called the manager to reprimand the cashier. That's completely unacceptable behavior.

As for the perv, I think I would probably just ignore it (and not even look in his direction) because he wants to get a reaction.

shwankie
June 22nd, 2009, 06:17 AM
Oh, I am so sorry to read what you had to endure from that old pervert! *hugs*

I, too, have gotten a lot of remarks like that. As a natural, very light blond, people I don't know for some reason assume not only am I stupid, but that commenting on if the "drapes match the carpet" is perfectly okay. I have the decided advantage that I was professionally trained to rip people apart verbally, and do so every time something like this happens (including catcalls, etc.).

I have no idea when this kind of crap became appropriate, but there was honestly a time I refused to go to the store alone because it just wasn't worth it. DH had to go with me so I could get anything done, and not spend it either talking to a manager or dealing with morons coming on to me. (Note: I think am pretty, but I am not by any means a super-model or breathtakingly stunning. Nor do I dress at all provacatively (sp?). I am pretty sure these kind of attentions have little to do with me, and are far more likely to just be idiots who do this for fun)

I also noticed, when I dyed my hair light brown, I too was taken far more seriously, and got less of that kind of attention from men, which was great. But, I don't like dying my hair, I think it's pretty it's natural color, and I like myself as a blond. I shouldn't have to hide my genetics because people are stupid.

It's a very sad commentary on our society that hair color can determine how a person is treated. Maybe I am just getting old.

ladylibra
June 22nd, 2009, 06:32 AM
I have one tip for you: mp3 player. Really. I got tired of people commenting on my clothing all the time and tired of being nice to them. If you listen to music you don't hear comments and people are less likely to talk to you.

Amen to that! Shoot one day on the bus my MP3 player died... and I still left the headphones in, just so people would leave me alone. :laugh:

Sorry to hear about all you blondes and redheads having trouble. That really is sad, that people are so classless in this day and age. :( If a random guy were to ask me if the curtains match the drapes... well, I hope my friends have bail money that night... :mad:

GlassEyes
June 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
I'll admit, I've made quite a few of these comments, but mostly to two of my friends, one of whom is a natural light redhead, and another who's a natural blonde. They usually just laugh it off and hit me.

I don't think anyone should be ashamed of whatever hair color they have, and if you get hair comments, tell the person to kindly screw off. : D I think I did that a few times when I had dyed hair, but I didn't really care enough to remember.

Redheads are hot. XD

Edit: Ohhhh. I keep forgetting the comments I get about my hair. People used to ask if I had a jheri curl, which I didn't care about before, yet now find insulting.

Madame J
June 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Amen to that! Shoot one day on the bus my MP3 player died... and I still left the headphones in, just so people would leave me alone. :laugh:

I don't like to listen to music when I'm riding the subway because I like to be aware of my surroundings. But I was tired of guys sitting down and striking up conversations with me just because I was a female alone on the train, so I took to bringing just my earbuds and tucking the jack end into my purse, so that it looked like I was listening to something, but I could in fact hear everything going on around me. I imagine just leaving the loose end visible would also have reduced the number of people who wanted to talk to me, too.....

skydancer7
June 22nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
Here's a simple solution for ya, that comes with a story of mine. It takes a little bit of courage, but it's easier if you are already p*ssed off:

I was walking down a busy sidewalk and some 20ish year old guy commented on my hot a$$. I looked him straight in the eye and with a cold, scolding tone said "that's inappropriate". Turned and walked away.

He immediately started apologizing.

Simple, direct. No name calling. Just clear communication about what is and is not acceptable.

It felt good to confront that situation and get an apology out of it.

If in the future some old perv makes an inappropriate comment, you could simply say "thats very rude". But make sure you say it with no real emotional investment. More like you are simply informing him for his information. Otherwise he gets something out of it.

Pegasus Marsters
June 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM
I guess I'm so scary that people don't want to make comments about my hair colour. :lol:

Kiraela
June 22nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I don't like to listen to music when I'm riding the subway because I like to be aware of my surroundings. But I was tired of guys sitting down and striking up conversations with me just because I was a female alone on the train, so I took to bringing just my earbuds and tucking the jack end into my purse, so that it looked like I was listening to something, but I could in fact hear everything going on around me. I imagine just leaving the loose end visible would also have reduced the number of people who wanted to talk to me, too.....

I wear big 'regular style' headphones, so it's more obvious that I want to listen to my music, not their dumb comments.

I've also jumped in when I saw a youngish girl getting hassled because of her red hair. This old perv was hitting on her, kept getting in her way when she tried to walk away, etc... I walked up, gave him the patented 'glare of doom' and said something along the lines of 'Is there a problem here, miss? Do I need to call a security guard for you?'. He thought I worked in the store, so he took off. Grr.

Fethenwen
June 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
If in the future some old perv makes an inappropriate comment, you could simply say "thats very rude". But make sure you say it with no real emotional investment. More like you are simply informing him for his information. Otherwise he gets something out of it.
Wow, this is something I need to remember. Getting upset is what the old perv/idiot wants, I haven't thought about that.

WaimeaWahine
June 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
I'm sorry for anyone and everyone who has ever had to deal with rude remarks of any kind. People seem to have forgotten their manners.

One of my worst ones was where a man at a bus stop simply assumed because of my hair color that I was Hispanic. When I ignored him he assumed that I didn't speak any English and began taunting me. You just have to let it go and hope for fewer contact with idiots.

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Here's a simple solution for ya, that comes with a story of mine. It takes a little bit of courage, but it's easier if you are already p*ssed off:

I was walking down a busy sidewalk and some 20ish year old guy commented on my hot a$$. I looked him straight in the eye and with a cold, scolding tone said "that's inappropriate". Turned and walked away.

Simple, direct. No name calling. Just clear communication about what is and is not acceptable.

LOVE THIS!!!! ^^^^^^^ Also I would add that IF they apologize, don't say "That's okay" because it certainly is NOT. Just simply say, "Thank you" or something to that effect or nothing.

GlennaGirl
June 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
I wear big 'regular style' headphones, so it's more obvious that I want to listen to my music, not their dumb comments.

I've also jumped in when I saw a youngish girl getting hassled because of her red hair. This old perv was hitting on her, kept getting in her way when she tried to walk away, etc... I walked up, gave him the patented 'glare of doom' and said something along the lines of 'Is there a problem here, miss? Do I need to call a security guard for you?'. He thought I worked in the store, so he took off. Grr.

What a kind thing for you to do! :blossom:

ReddishRocks
June 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
I get those comments sometimes as well. For me, the thing that people have ALWAYS noticed about me and my hair is its color. I'm really lucky to have such an awesome natural color, but it's definitely not been easy...

In elementary school, my mom put my hair in braids often, so I got all the Pippi Longstockings jabs. In high school, there was a particularly rude upperclassman that thought it was funny to call me "fire crotch." In retrospect, that was kind of funny, but it made me very uncomfortable at the time. And, of course, it was totally inappropriate!

When someone makes an inappropriate comment to me now, I give them my stone-cold "Are you really that stupid?" look. I just blank my face - relax all the muscles, tilt my chin down and to the side, raise my brows a bit, and stare. It's really important that your mouth stays in a straight line - no frown, no half smile. Sometimes, if I'm really on it, I'll say, "Are you done?" :D Yes, it takes practice, but I'm fortunate enough to have a younger brother to practice on. ;)

Kiraela
June 22nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
What a kind thing for you to do! :blossom:

The poor girl couldn't have been more than 14 or so, and just looked so flustered and scared that I couldn't help it! Thinking back on it it might have been a bit dangerous, but it worked out for the best anyway.

Reddishrocks, I like the "Are you done?" line! Another favorite is "Wait, What?" if it's a minor offense, or the more irritated version, (said in a very cold voice - we're talking the type that would freeze saltwater - and a raised eyebrow) "Excuse me?"

RancheroTheBee
June 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
:) Thank you all for your kind words.

Yes, I think next time I'll try the exasperated "Excuse me?" response. I really don't want to change my hair, but I sure don't want to put up with rudeness from strangers.

I wish I could carry the LHC around in my pocket all the time.

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
It's amazing just how rude people can be, and yet we are always concerned about our responses.

ladylibra
June 22nd, 2009, 02:11 PM

I like this... much more mature than what I would've said/done. Maybe I'll try this first and see if it works. If not, I'll go back to Plan B - completely ridiculing them back. :laugh:

Bunnyhare
June 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
captain Jack Sparrow would say "sticks and stones ,love"..don't let those people bother you, as already stated, it would have been something else or probably was someone else too, Your hair is beautiful! I liked the MP3 idea! recorded books rock!

kam984420
June 22nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
People seem to have forgotten their manners.

Thats no joke. I had a guy that i've known for a few years now and he was really rude when i saw him tonight. He accused me of being a long haired hippy since im a guy thats growing his hair long. I was really rude back to him and told him I could say something about him and he wouldnt like it. That was before they threw me out of the office since they were afraid a fight would break out.:(

NamedForTheMoon
June 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
It's amazing how people can be so insane over hair that's not theirs. It's okay to be insane over your own hair, but for another person to go so out of their way to be rude over hair... It's just baffling to me!

Is this mostly in America, or do the non-US Longhairs get this sort of treatment, too?

RancheroTheBee
June 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
It's amazing how people can be so insane over hair that's not theirs. It's okay to be insane over your own hair, but for another person to go so out of their way to be rude over hair... It's just baffling to me!

Is this mostly in America, or do the non-US Longhairs get this sort of treatment, too?

Well, I'm Canadian, but I guess that's not too different*. :( Sadly, I think people can be rude all over the world.

*: Except that you guys can buy liquor in the grocery store, and I think more Americans say 'frosting', as opposed to 'icing'.

Natalia
June 22nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I understand your fustration. I am a natural blonde who decided i wanted to go dark brown (and found it really does look better on me). I did it between semsters around christmas and when i went back to classes my new professors took me alot more seriosly! I work very hard in school to keep my GPA pristine and kept being brushed off. I thought it was becasue i was younger than anyone else in class but i figured (pardon me if this sounds like bragging, i dont intend to) that since i was always in the top 5 of my 65 person classes i would be taken more seriosuly. Well apperantly all i had t do was dye my hair :rolleyes: . I had one of my old prfessors a semester or two later sure enough took me seriosuly the second time. Gues sim glad i like how dark looks on me. Now all i have to compete with is being young, female, human rights/enviornmentally minded, longhair :p

theshadowpuppet
June 22nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
I've gotten many comments over the years about my hair being crazy colors.

Most saying I'm doing it for attention. Which was not the case, it was for my personal enjoyment, of course.

Torrin Paige
June 22nd, 2009, 08:51 PM
I'm a strawberry blonde, so I get the usual redhead comments..plus the blonde ones...yay me! I used to blush when someone would say something pervy to me (ahhh, I was sweet and innocent once) now I get rude and pervy right back at them. As it's only men that I've ever gotten the pervy comments from, I glance at their crotch and sigh, "Ah yes, it's as I suspected. I've found that men lacking in a certain department feel that it is necessary to overcompensate by asking rude questions of ladies. While you will never know if the carpet matches the drapes, I know that the next woman you are intimate with will be sadly disappointed. Poor girl." And then I smile and walk away. Is it rude? Yes. But it makes me feel better and I feel like not "fighting back" makes them think it is okay to say such things to women. It is not okay. Hopefully I've saved at least one girl the blush I used to get.

Juneii
June 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
that's lame, I always thought red hair was beautiful.
maybe it's some form of jealousy? not many people have that color and I'd do so much to have that as my natural hair color.

JewelsSparkles
June 29th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Ooh, Torrin I LOVE your response!

(Off topic, but I'm also in the LJ longhairs group with you - I'm da_shpoon, but I don't post there much because I'm still learning, so I prefer to just read & watch your tutorials!)

Für immer
June 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Oh, how annoying! But it's not only you "red-heads" who gets targeted like that.
Me myself has blue hair, so naturally, I hear some "nice" jokes sometimes,
but it's nothing to be bothered with, you know what I mean?
Don't pay attention to those geeks who obviously lack guts.
In case their "jokes" can be considered as really offending, I think you should say at least something, but that's your decision, not mine.

strwbrry dakri
June 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
At some point, I remember reading here (or some other forum) that in answer to rude comments, the person would smile sweetly at the ignoramus who made the remark and ask, "Did you really mean to say that out loud?"

People who make these comments do it because they are rarely ever chastised in any way for it. Yes, America is the land of free, but that doesn't excuse deliberate rudeness.

LadyLongLocks
June 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
If you are too shy to comment back, type up something to hand them regarding your hair.
Be ready!

or maybe just print the definition of RUDE, CRUDE and MEAN etc and then add your 2 cents.

I printed up stuff about Not donating my hair along with some links!:agree:

Velvetbyrd
July 28th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Neighbor just told me I should get a bob.
He said because my hair looks to sophisticated.
I'm not sure if he was being rude or giving me a compliment.
He also said something about dying it blonde and getting a Harley.

WHAT!!!:patrol:

brickworld13
July 28th, 2015, 12:18 PM
:brains: :brains: :brains: Quite a zombie this one is.

LemonadeCandy
March 26th, 2021, 11:47 AM
Reviving this because I'm quite sick of rude hair comments myself and just wanted to rant somewhere!

These comments first started when I was about 13 so I learned to snap back at them, and let me tell you - people are not pleased when you talk them back! I've had especially bad reactions to my responses by male co-workers.
I'm naturally blonde (started henna only a week ago) so all of the comments I've gotten so far were because of my blonde hair. (I'm saying this because I've seen redheads in other threads thinking they are alone in this: you are not!)

It makes me so angry that someone has the audacity to ask the drapes/curtain question, or to ask me to cut my hair to donate it, or whatever. Another thing I've seen people do is try to make someone feel bad if they dye their hair (especially if it looks very convincing/natural)!

Can't people just mind their business? :horse:

Eastbound&Down
March 26th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Reviving this because I'm quite sick of rude hair comments myself and just wanted to rant somewhere!

These comments first started when I was about 13 so I learned to snap back at them, and let me tell you - people are not pleased when you talk them back! I've had especially bad reactions to my responses by male co-workers.
I'm naturally blonde (started henna only a week ago) so all of the comments I've gotten so far were because of my blonde hair. (I'm saying this because I've seen redheads in other threads thinking they are alone in this: you are not!)

It makes me so angry that someone has the audacity to ask the drapes/curtain question, or to ask me to cut my hair to donate it, or whatever. Another thing I've seen people do is try to make someone feel bad if they dye their hair (especially if it looks very convincing/natural)!

Can't people just mind their business? :horse:

It might stir the pot, but if your coworkers are making those inappropriate comments, you can make record of that with your companies HR team. That's harassment, especially if it has happened more than once.

lapushka
March 26th, 2021, 03:18 PM
It might stir the pot, but if your coworkers are making those inappropriate comments, you can make record of that with your companies HR team. That's harassment, especially if it has happened more than once.

Definitely. Bigger business: definitely lodge the complaint! Smaller business, especially if someone higher up in rank: tread carefully.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

ArtOfNoot
March 26th, 2021, 04:12 PM
My father likes to tell me not to do the “horse girl thing” when I tell him I want to see how long my hair will grow. I always just crack back with something like “thank you for your hair opinions, bald man” or “maybe I should just shave my head too”.
He’s been rocking the shaved look for about 2 years now.

Eastbound&Down
March 26th, 2021, 04:19 PM
My father likes to tell me not to do the “horse girl thing” when I tell him I want to see how long my hair will grow. I always just crack back with something like “thank you for your hair opinions, bald man” or “maybe I should just shave my head too”.

I'll happily be a horse girl, heck I'll even get the horses haha

Arciela
March 26th, 2021, 04:21 PM
I've e gotten rude comments about my red/auburn hair all while growing up. Other kids used to throw spit wads in my classic length hair and call me "the mermaid" or Ariel, as if thats an insult :laugh:

It's crazy too, because those same kids who did that all ended up asking me out later. I was like nope, remember how cruel you all were to me? Well now it's my turn to reject you. :flower:

LittleHealthy
March 27th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Ha! I had a rude comment recently, well, more of a rude/hurtful conversation.... "Wow, your braid is tiny, what's the point of having it long when it's that thin?" I don't think she meant harm but ouchhhhhh..

LittleHealthy
March 27th, 2021, 03:01 AM
I've e gotten rude comments about my red/auburn hair all while growing up. Other kids used to throw spit wads in my classic length hair and call me "the mermaid" or Ariel, as if thats an insult :laugh:

It's crazy too, because those same kids who did that all ended up asking me out later. I was like nope, remember how cruel you all were to me? Well now it's my turn to reject you. :flower:

Oh, the spit balls in your hair... that is disgusting... and by far it reflects upon a different time where spit wasn't carrying covid :D

BuddhaBelle
March 27th, 2021, 05:39 AM

Ohhh I get the same from my boyfriend! He pokes fun at me for looking like a horse girl. I don't mind it toooooo much but I don't have any fun comebacks like you.

Dark40
March 27th, 2021, 08:53 AM
Red hair really does attract attention. Sometimes, it kind of attracts the wrong attention. Sometimes I think that redheads have a reputation for having bad tempers because we get so fed up with people mentioning our hair color all the time that we snap. Or, at least that's the way it is with me. I've received a number of lewd comments and catcalls, all concerning the color of my hair. Just today, some old man made some connection between the hair on my head, and the rest of my hair.

I feel kind of bad because I feel like I brought this on to myself because I choose to make it this color. At the same time, it's the color that looks best on me, I think.

Also, I feel like I should be able to stick up for myself and say something like, "Shut up," but I never do. I just hang my head and don't say anything at all, because in real life I can be pretty shy, especially when the other person is being, quite frankly, rather threatening.

I'm a redhead dyed and I've also heard that term many years ago that people with red hair have a bad temper, and I've always felt like telling them, "That's not true," "I don't care what you say I have a nice temper." I'm a natural brunette dark brown to almost black. But, I honestly don't think that redheads natural or dyed have no hot temper. I met a natural fiery redhead girl in high school, and she was sweetest person you'd ever want to know. Because, as she saw me walking home as she was catching the school bus she would always speak to be, and say, "Hi."

Dark40
March 27th, 2021, 08:57 AM

That is just awful! I remember in college one of my professors told me when I had red dyed hair that redheads are hot tempered and they are always angry and have a lot of anger. I wished that I had told her, "First of all, I am not a natural redhead," and second of all, "I am not hot tempered or don't get angry easily or carry a lot of anger inside of me," and this professor was a natural dark-haired or brunette like me.

I don't blame you for rejecting them after the way those kids treated you when you had your red/auburn hair growing up.

Hellebore
March 27th, 2021, 04:15 PM
Ha! I had a rude comment recently, well, more of a rude/hurtful conversation.... "Wow, your braid is tiny, what's the point of having it long when it's that thin?" I don't think she meant harm but ouchhhhhh..

Oooooh this one makes me mad. I have thin hair that makes a tiny braid, and I've gotten comments like that my whole life.

To the hurtful person I might have said, "wow, your comment was pointless. What's the point of commenting if you have nothing relevant to say?"

Kat
March 27th, 2021, 09:10 PM

HA, I love it. What did they do when you said that?

I've become a fan of asking someone, "Why did you say that/why did you think that was an appropriate thing to say/why do you think that's not a rude thing to say/whatever applies." Ask them seriously and expect an answer. Either they'll get uncomfortable in a hurry, or they'll have to think about what they said and realize why it was rude/stupid/inappropriate...

(Luckily, I just don't really get comments. I'm not pretty enough for men not to look through me as if I don't exist, and women haven't bothered to make snarky or obtrusive comments about my hair for a few years now... Unfortunately, even if I did have occasion to use it, I might not-- when people make rude or inappropriate comments, I tend to be too shocked at the time and only think of the perfect comeback later... I need to practice so the comeback is knee-jerk rather than me just being flabbergasted...)

Ohhh I get the same from my boyfriend! He pokes fun at me for looking like a horse girl. I don't mind it toooooo much but I don't have any fun comebacks like you.

Okay, now I'm wondering: what is a "horse girl"?

LittleHealthy
March 28th, 2021, 03:09 AM
Haha, Kat!!
Your suggestions of a response are spot-on. And, me too, I'm always a little shocked and I'm the one who thinks about the conversation later on... all the things we could have said :laugh:

lapushka
March 28th, 2021, 04:06 AM
HA, I love it. What did they do when you said that?

I've become a fan of asking someone, "Why did you say that/why did you think that was an appropriate thing to say/why do you think that's not a rude thing to say/whatever applies." Ask them seriously and expect an answer. Either they'll get uncomfortable in a hurry, or they'll have to think about what they said and realize why it was rude/stupid/inappropriate...

(Luckily, I just don't really get comments. I'm not pretty enough for men not to look through me as if I don't exist, and women haven't bothered to make snarky or obtrusive comments about my hair for a few years now... Unfortunately, even if I did have occasion to use it, I might not-- when people make rude or inappropriate comments, I tend to be too shocked at the time and only think of the perfect comeback later... I need to practice so the comeback is knee-jerk rather than me just being flabbergasted...)

Okay, now I'm wondering: what is a "horse girl"?

Yeah! ^^ Color me confused too. :hmm:

GordonMurphella
March 28th, 2021, 05:04 AM
That is just awful! I remember in college one of my professors told me when I had red dyed hair that redheads are hot tempered and they are always angry and have a lot of anger. I wished that I had told her, "First of all, I am not a natural redhead," and second of all, "I am not hot tempered or don't get angry easily or carry a lot of anger inside of me," and this professor was a natural dark-haired or brunette like me.

I don't blame you for rejecting them after the way those kids treated you when you had your red/auburn hair growing up.

Um, seriously?

And I have no clue as to what a horse girl is either. Odd thread folkses :) But don't listen to me.

Bugg
March 28th, 2021, 05:28 AM

I love this so much :inlove: .. not the fact they were mean of course, that's awful, but the comments that turned out to be compliments and being able to reject them later, that's amazing :o

Kids in school used to put chewing gum in my hair, that was easier to get out than the blu tac though.. the chewing gum remover the nurse would use just made the blu tac even sticker. My mum had to keep cutting it out :(

Bugg
March 28th, 2021, 05:29 AM

That would really touch a nerve with me too :( Why can't people just be nice ..

Neorago
March 28th, 2021, 05:34 AM
RE: Horse girls:

When I was a kid there was an advert of a song that went something like "I love horses, best of all the animals, I love horses, they're my friends!". School kids used to sing it to my best friend because she lived on a farm and was horse crazy. The stereotype is that "horse girls" are obsessed with horses and are a bit nerdy. For some reason women with long hair are thought to have been "horse girls" as kids and I guess we're seen as obsessed with hair as they are with horses?

Urban dictionary definition:
Horse girl
A girl who wears t-shirts with horses on them and tapered denim pants, has really long hair in which they braid and fasten with a scrunchie in the back of their head, will "gallop" on the track during gym class, is only friends with other girls who like horses and will look down on you because you are not a horse.
The woman I worked for used to be a horse girl, she had an entire wall full of just pictures of her with her horse and always talked about the weekends she would spend riding them.

Bugg
March 28th, 2021, 05:44 AM

When I was a kid there was an advert of a song that went something like "I love horses, best of all the animals, I love horses, they're my friends!". School kids used to sing it to my best friend because she lived on a farm and was horse crazy. The stereotype is that "horse girls" are obsessed with horses and are a bit nerdy. For some reason women with long hair are thought to have been "horse girls" as kids and I guess we're seen as obsessed with hair as they are with horses?

Horse girl
A girl who wears t-shirts with horses on them and tapered denim pants, has really long hair in which they braid and fasten with a scrunchie in the back of their head, will "gallop" on the track during gym class, is only friends with other girls who like horses and will look down on you because you are not a horse.
The woman I worked for used to be a horse girl, she had an entire wall full of just pictures of her with her horse and always talked about the weekends she would spend riding them.

:uhh: Que awkward realization ... when I was a little girl I loved washing my hair in the shower and pretending it was a horses tail, and I would literally gallop everywhere ..

I think I may have been a horse girl :disbelief :laugh:

Kat
March 28th, 2021, 09:09 AM
Oh, I was absolutely into horses as a kid-- still am-- although I don't really fit the stereotypes... and my hair has nothing to do with it!

(In the U.S., I think a person would be more likely to be stereotyped as either a hippie, or a conservative Christian {or, for some odd reason, in some areas, "Amish" even if nothing else about the person suggests it, and I've never figured out if the person making the comment *actually* thinks the person is somehow Amish, or is just trying to make a not-as-clear-as-they-think insult about how the long-hair is "old-fashioned"}.)

Tinyponies
March 28th, 2021, 01:48 PM

Horse girl
This is new to me too, and brilliant... ahem

Dark40
March 29th, 2021, 10:37 AM
Um, seriously?

And I have no clue as to what a horse girl is either. Odd thread folkses :) But don't listen to me.

Um yes, seriously!

I bet you don't have no clue as to what a horse girl is either. I don't either. This is an excellent thread! :)

wishy
March 29th, 2021, 11:08 AM

Ugh, your hair is beautiful I'm so sorry someone said that to you. I'm very sensitive about how how thin my hair and this kind of comment would really cut me.

WinterMayhem
September 14th, 2021, 04:18 PM
Before he had a brain injury in November, by boyfriend's hair, which is a lovely light chestnut color when he's been in the sun s lot, his was probably about a 1b and MBL. Guys with long hair rock. (Too many 80's glam bands, I bet.)

WinterMayhem
September 14th, 2021, 04:26 PM
ETA: I messed everything up as I'm about as tech-savvy as an armadillo.

Before he had a brain injury in November, by boyfriend's hair, which is a lovely light chestnut color when he's been in the sun s lot, his was probably about a 1b and MBL. Guys with long hair rock. Too many 80's glam bands, I bet.

As for rudeness, my mother's sister told me that I should cut my hair and donate it like she did. (It was between BSL and WL.) When I told her I liked my hair and intended on keeping it, she told me I was selfish.

Then there was one guy on another (unrelated) site that saw a picture with my hair down, who suggested something filthy. Suffice it to say I told him off in THE most scathing way possible and blocked him.

RebekahE
September 14th, 2021, 06:30 PM
I'm just over here laughing my butt off about the "horse-girl" thing. I've been into horses all my life, started riding when I was 4. Still have them, all through this time I've had long hair and braids. I would only hang out with other horse girls when I was younger and went through a teen phase where I had no friends at all, but I didn't care. I was too busy doing what I loved: training horses.

WinterMayhem
September 14th, 2021, 10:00 PM
I was at horse camp when I was a little girl, so I guess I'm a "horse-girl", too. 😊

We were in town doing our laundry one weekend, and one of the girls had her hair in braids. A lady passing pointed it out to her little girl. "Oh, look what long, pretty hair she has!" Then I looked at all the girls on show day with their pretty, neat french braids and me, with my lousy, curly hair shoved into a hairnet, so horses are what inspired me to grow my hair!

ZoeZ
September 15th, 2021, 01:24 AM
I'll admit, I've made quite a few of these comments, but mostly to two of my friends, one of whom is a natural light redhead, and another who's a natural blonde. They usually just laugh it off and hit me.

I don't think anyone should be ashamed of whatever hair color they have, and if you get hair comments, tell the person to kindly screw off. : D I think I did that a few times when I had dyed hair, but I didn't really care enough to remember.

Redheads are hot. XD

Edit: Ohhhh. I keep forgetting the comments I get about my hair. People used to ask if I had a jheri curl, which I didn't care about before, yet now find insulting.

I know this is an old thread, but... not okay, even with friends. This would take anyone off my friend list for 1) being rude and 2) being creepy. For both sexes.

Belgrade Beauty
October 1st, 2021, 01:51 PM
Random scumbag at work: 'I bet it would be so good for pulling"

Kathie
October 1st, 2021, 06:05 PM

That's really far from appropriate.

AmeerahKhanNot
October 2nd, 2021, 12:55 PM

Some people have to make everything inappropriate for no reason :rolleyes:

baanoo
October 2nd, 2021, 02:45 PM

“Hello, Human Resources? I’d like to file a complaint about inappropriate s**ual comments in the workplace.”

Hellebore
October 2nd, 2021, 03:39 PM

I don't have anything clever to say. I just want to fight this man.

Although, this might be a good situation where I would say, "what do you mean?" and make him awkwardly explain himself.

Hellebore
October 2nd, 2021, 03:47 PM
Oh, I have kind of a funny rude comment from a few years back.

When I was 28-ish, I used a henna blend that turned my brown hair a vibrant red. My little brother, who was seven at the time, remarked that I looked like a clown when he saw it. I thought his remark was hilarious and offensive in the way only children can get away with. The next time I saw my other brother (26-ish at the time) he commented on my hair being red, and I remarked that our youngest brother had called me a clown when he saw it.

My brother replied with a smirk, "well, young children are often fairly observant."

:steam

Kathie
October 2nd, 2021, 05:28 PM

Although, this might be a good situation where I would say, "what do you mean?" and make him awkwardly explain himself.

This! It would be nice to see this person marinade in the awkwardness that they deserve.

Kat
October 2nd, 2021, 05:43 PM

I was thinking my response would be, "...right before I punch you in the face," but I think I like the potential of making him explain more...

cadaverinna
June 22nd, 2023, 02:42 PM
I'm lucky I barely ever get rude comments nowadays, and when I do, it's clearly jealousy, but when I was younger... Oof.

I was an alternative teenager and I started my first hairstyling course somewhere around 15, so you can guess what kind of sheananigans I was up to. Had every single colour under the sun, side shaves, undercuts, "exotic" hairstyles etc... Some people were angry at the sight of my hair, even classmates at the course I took, which was the opposite to common sense, since you'd think they'd be more knowledgeable about all that.

This occasion was probably out of jealousy, since this person had the brassiest hair w the most chewed up ends I had ever seen. I had a bright blue bob w baby bangs and was working in the training salon my course had. They were extremely focused on professionalism and you had to "swallow frogs", as we say, when a client made a comment on you. This girl wasn't even my client, she was a friend of another hairstylists's client, and the last two started commenting positively on my hair, but this hag just says w disdain on her voice "Yeah, I had that kind of colour when I was a kid, but I'm a normal person now". I just smiled and later on offered to give her a quick haircut while she waited for her friend and she was clearly offended. Love it.

The more conservative crowd was a lot more vocal, though. Even about when my hair was natural, but "too long". I'd answer w "I'll get it cut, then", and they'd complain about how ruuuuuuuude I was. Geez.

Greengable
June 22nd, 2023, 03:49 PM
There are people like this. I always answer them, lol, not the kind of girl you can tell anything man... So I hope they will think it twice before telling anything to other women.

ArienEllariel
June 22nd, 2023, 04:14 PM
I'm lucky I barely ever get rude comments nowadays, and when I do, it's clearly jealousy, but when I was younger... Oof.

I was an alternative teenager and I started my first hairstyling course somewhere around 15, so you can guess what kind of sheananigans I was up to. Had every single colour under the sun, side shaves, undercuts, "exotic" hairstyles etc... Some people were angry at the sight of my hair, even classmates at the course I took, which was the opposite to common sense, since you'd think they'd be more knowledgeable about all that.

This occasion was probably out of jealousy, since this person had the brassiest hair w the most chewed up ends I had ever seen. I had a bright blue bob w baby bangs and was working in the training salon my course had. They were extremely focused on professionalism and you had to "swallow frogs", as we say, when a client made a comment on you. This girl wasn't even my client, she was a friend of another hairstylists's client, and the last two started commenting positively on my hair, but this hag just says w disdain on her voice "Yeah, I had that kind of colour when I was a kid, but I'm a normal person now". I just smiled and later on offered to give her a quick haircut while she waited for her friend and she was clearly offended. Love it.

The more conservative crowd was a lot more vocal, though. Even about when my hair was natural, but "too long". I'd answer w "I'll get it cut, then", and they'd complain about how ruuuuuuuude I was. Geez.

Goodness, what a lovely person she seems. I never really understood making mean comments about someone's appearance. Especially a style they've chosen for themselves. I don't know if it's jealousy or what. Regardless, blue with baby bangs sounds incredibly cute! I hope you didn't let it get to you much.

Kelp
June 22nd, 2023, 05:18 PM
Oh my goodness. This thread reminds me of the time I was working as a veterinary assistant when I had shoulder-length teal hair. It was a little faded, sure, but it was up and mostly under a bandana.

I went out into the waiting room, cheery as can be to take a cute labrador back, and as I go up to the owner she stares me down for a few seconds, turns to her little group of other ladies there with her and says, "Well I don't know if I want to give my dog to a girl with mildew hair."

Mildew hair. I was so taken aback that I just awkwardly laughed and reached out for the dog but even then she took another few seconds to scoff at me before she handed me the leash. It was so nasty, but I know she's probably a miserable person.

Dark40
June 22nd, 2023, 05:25 PM

Hey, I have been through the same thing you have been through with being a redhead also! My college professor also told me one time that redheads are known to have bad tempers. Well, I'm not a natural redhead but I always love to dye my hair red. Because, you're right...it does attract attention. But I've stopped caring what others say or think of my hair color being red. I've always felt like telling them, "It's my hair, and I can do whatever I want to it."

Nefcerka
June 23rd, 2023, 06:21 AM
I didn´t know this thread existed, but thank you all for sharing your experiences... though they were truly ugly in some cases, I am glad I am not alone. I cover my hair with a tube scarf when I go outside and this week I got a rude comment about my hair scarf from some clerk (comment was basically racist, comparing me to a Muslim).
I am never ready for such petty attacks on my appearance, and I can´t even think how I´d react if someone told me things some of you encountered.
Sometimes in the past, when I had long hair (waist to hip), and I usually worn it down (didn´t know what else to do with it) I got sometimes comments that I should cut it because it looked stringy and unhealthy (my hair is fine and not thick, and it was damaged a bit back then, still, those opinions were not asked for). And when I actually cut it once or twice in a short pixie and used henna, so it was a red pixie, I was automatically labeled "gay". As much as I hate it, that is what stupid society where I live believes - a young woman with short red hair is certainly gay (and I was called a guy several times).

Dark40
June 23rd, 2023, 12:32 PM
That's my main reason why I'm a, "Longhairlover!" Because, short pixie hair-styles make you look like a boy or a man. But a lady that has a daughter that can grow ankle length hair told me many years ago after she chopped all of her hair off up to shoulder length she told her daughter, "Long hair makes you look and feel a lot more feminine than short hair!" And, I agreed with her. In wish that's how long I want my hair to be.

spidermom
June 24th, 2023, 07:51 AM
I've seen hair that I thought was awful, but I'd never be rude to somebody. Some opinions are best kept behind closed lips.

cadaverinna
June 24th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Goodness, what a lovely person she seems. I never really understood making mean comments about someone's appearance. Especially a style they've chosen for themselves. I don't know if it's jealousy or what. Regardless, blue with baby bangs sounds incredibly cute! I hope you didn't let it get to you much.

What angered me was that she said that on my place of learning, she knew I couldn't talk to her in the same manner. I also gave her hair a few looks after that and she closed up like a shell.

I actually hated that hair lol There's this funny thing about hairstylist courses(the longer ones) that everyone leaves w a bob bc we'd practice cut and colour on ourselves hahah
It was an ear-lenght bob(shortest I ever had) w a shaved nape bc I ruined it w bleaching(I started the whole thing w dyed black hair) but didn't want to admit it lol The shade of blue was also too bright bc of my base colour, but I didn't want any more chemicals to darken it, so I walked around w an eye-sore pen ink blue

Lady Stardust
June 24th, 2023, 09:45 AM
That's my main reason why I'm a, "Longhairlover!" Because, short pixie hair-styles make you look like a boy or a man. But a lady that has a daughter that can grow ankle length hair told me many years ago after she chopped all of her hair off up to shoulder length she told her daughter, "Long hair makes you look and feel a lot more feminine than short hair!" And, I agreed with her. In wish that's how long I want my hair to be.

I guess it’s a matter of personal opinion. When I had pixie short hair I certainly didn’t look like a man and it didn’t make me feel any less feminine. If anything it made me realise that my femininity isn’t dependent on the length of my hair.

SandyBottom
June 24th, 2023, 10:24 AM
People can be so mean. I don't know if they just don't take the half a second to think how they would feel in the other person's position or if that's how they feel better about themselves, by making others feel small in some way. I remember standing in line in 5th grade, the smallest in the class with a case of dandruff that would not quit and the girl behind me looked down on top of my head and loudly announced, "Look! It's snowing...in (insert name here)'s hair!" I had very dark hair and these were big flakes. There was no hiding it. I was very shy back then and wanted to disappear and cry. Thankfully, I don't have dandruff anymore.

Kat
June 24th, 2023, 06:30 PM
I guess it’s a matter of personal opinion. When I had pixie short hair I certainly didn’t look like a man and it didn’t make me feel any less feminine. If anything it made me realise that my femininity isn’t dependent on the length of my hair.

I guess it depends on what you look like in the first place. I'm not feminine-looking-- my face isn't pretty or feminine, my body isn't feminine, and it's compounded by the fact that I dress more neutral (jeans/pants and t-shirts) than "girly"-- and I feel like long hair helps code me as more "female"-- I am absolutely certain that if my hair was short, I'd be mistaken for male far more often (it's bad enough that wearing my hair back means it looks very short or nonexistent from the front).

People can be so mean. I don't know if they just don't take the half a second to think how they would feel in the other person's position or if that's how they feel better about themselves, by making others feel small in some way. I remember standing in line in 5th grade, the smallest in the class with a case of dandruff that would not quit and the girl behind me looked down on top of my head and loudly announced, "Look! It's snowing...in (insert name here)'s hair!" I had very dark hair and these were big flakes. There was no hiding it. I was very shy back then and wanted to disappear and cry. Thankfully, I don't have dandruff anymore.

I was made fun of for it at least once, too. Of course, now I know it's sebhorrheic dermatitis (not that that makes it any better-- it's still dandruff) but still. I wasn't popular in middle/high school and that was just one more way for people to be mean to me.

foreveryours
June 24th, 2023, 06:51 PM

Yep :thumbsup:

RustyAl
June 25th, 2023, 10:53 AM
From time to time will get a guy that says "you need a haircut, men should have short hair". Which is something that always irritates me

cadaverinna
June 25th, 2023, 01:04 PM
From time to time will get a guy that says "you need a haircut, men should have short hair". Which is something that always irritates me

That's still a thing? Jesus... Do you get from younger people too, or just the older, more conservative crowd?

RustyAl
June 25th, 2023, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately there are some people still like that, have had a few younger people say that but generally the ones that do say that are always the older conservative types

Dark40
June 26th, 2023, 12:55 PM
Um, seriously?

Yes, seriously!

I don't either have no clue to what a horse girl is either. LOL, this is an odd threead LHCer :)

~MoonChild~
June 26th, 2023, 01:44 PM
I hate when people say "your hair is soooo thin" like it's such a terrible thing. Hair comes in so many textures and densities it bums me out that people want to make you feel less than for it. No reason to make people feel self conscious over something they can't necessarily control

Greengable
June 26th, 2023, 03:16 PM
I was told when I was a teenager that I was going to be bald. Not me ****ing bitch ��

Dark40
June 27th, 2023, 02:59 PM

Yeah, I also guess it's a matter of personal opinion as well. Well, pixie haircuts doesn't make every lady look like a boy. Or, make them feel less feminine. I bet it did make you realize that your femininity isn't dependent on the length of your hair.

jmrdelorean
June 27th, 2023, 06:40 PM
I’ve had some family members say I needed to cute my hair because I would never get a job with long hair. They were very wrong.

Nefcerka
June 28th, 2023, 01:49 AM
I heard a true story on a radio yesterday - a caller said she had had natural dark brown BSL hair and one day she decided to do something "fun" to it so she went to a friend - hairdresser and ended up with a buzzed blonde look. She liked it, but when she got home, her husband hated it and stopped talking to her altogether for a month. When he needed to tell her something, he told kids to tell their mum. I don´t know how they reconciled, because the story ended there.

Greengable
June 28th, 2023, 03:33 AM
I heard a true story on a radio yesterday - a caller said she had had natural dark brown BSL hair and one day she decided to do something "fun" to it so she went to a friend - hairdresser and ended up with a buzzed blonde look. She liked it, but when she got home, her husband hated it and stopped talking to her altogether for a month. When he needed to tell her something, he told kids to tell their mum. I don´t know how they reconciled, because the story ended there.

This is awful �� my boyfriend loves me even with shaved head. He also helped me to shave.

Jovana
June 28th, 2023, 04:15 AM
It is so mean!!! I heard some stories about it, but were a kind of brainwashing for cults, like "the length of your hair mensurate your value" or "it's your honor, operates miracles and your loved ones will disappear if you cut". Growing long hair (or cutting it) should be a choice, not a psychological torture.

floridaorchid
June 28th, 2023, 07:05 PM
Growing long hair (or cutting it) should be a choice, not a psychological torture.

Heavy agreed! The joy of growing hair is because it is a choice, same for cutting. I hope the OP in the story found comfort, and the husband wasn't so rude.

Jools69
July 2nd, 2023, 03:45 AM
The worst comments I’ve received have been from my own family, when I was a child. One, in particular was from my mother, who insisted that I should have short hair, even though I desperately wanted to have long hair. When my hair would reach armpit length, she would call it ‘rat tails’ and that it made my long face worse. She would then pressure me to get it cut. The times I relented and have it cut into a pixie to please her, I was then told I looked like a boy by my peers, especially when I wore shorts. On the flip side when my hair was long, my peers would say how they liked the way I did my hair. Looking back at photos of the times I managed to grow it, it actually looked quite nice and feminine.

Now at the age of 53 with hip length hair, my peers comment on how long hair suits me and how it’s in such good condition.

Ive learnt that comments and criticisms made by people actually says more about them, rather than the person it’s directed to.

embee
July 2nd, 2023, 07:48 AM
The worst comments I’ve received have been from my own family, when I was a child.

Wow. Are you my sister? ;) Rat tails, yes, I grew up with that. Also having lightening shampoo (as a little child!) and then permanent waves (stinking things). How many hours of curlers did I endure? Sitting quietly waiting for my hair to *dry* because it had been twisted into finger sausage curls and pinned in shape while damp. OMGoodness.

Kat
July 2nd, 2023, 08:22 AM
Heh, that reminds me of something I've probably shared here before. In middle or high school, I had an evening orchestra rehearsal. I washed my hair beforehand and went to the rehearsal with my hair not quite dry. Now, keep in mind that my hair tends toward stringiness, and of course this is worse when wet. I guess I didn't realize it looked bad until my friend-- friend!!-- said something to me like "what's up with your hair?" I told her I just washed it. "Oh," she said, "because it looks like you just crawled out of a rat hole or something." Wow.

Jools69
July 2nd, 2023, 12:06 PM
Heh, that reminds me of something I've probably shared here before. In middle or high school, I had an evening orchestra rehearsal. I washed my hair beforehand and went to the rehearsal with my hair not quite dry. Now, keep in mind that my hair tends toward stringiness, and of course this is worse when wet. I guess I didn't realize it looked bad until my friend-- friend!!-- said something to me like "what's up with your hair?" I told her I just washed it. "Oh," she said, "because it looks like you just crawled out of a rat hole or something." Wow.

Oh, this reminds me of my classmates in high school, thinking my hair was greasy, but was still damp from being washed in the morning. This was the 80s, when people wanted to have dry and fried hair look!

Jools69
July 2nd, 2023, 12:14 PM
Kat Possibly! :) Especially the perms in the 80s. I was forced/coerced into having a perm by my mother at the age of 13, when I asked to have my hair cut into a style with layers and curtain bangs/fringe. To be fair, the perm was well done and suited me, but I missed my BRA length hair cut short to a Lady (princess) Di length!

sarana
July 3rd, 2023, 06:04 AM
The worst comments I’ve received have been from my own family, when I was a child. One, in particular was from my mother, who insisted that I should have short hair, even though I desperately wanted to have long hair. When my hair would reach armpit length, she would call it ‘rat tails’ and that it made my long face worse. She would then pressure me to get it cut. The times I relented and have it cut into a pixie to please her, I was then told I looked like a boy by my peers, especially when I wore shorts. On the flip side when my hair was long, my peers would say how they liked the way I did my hair. Looking back at photos of the times I managed to grow it, it actually looked quite nice and feminine.

Now at the age of 53 with hip length hair, my peers comment on how long hair suits me and how it’s in such good condition.

Ive learnt that comments and criticisms made by people actually says more about them, rather than the person it’s directed to.

I've had almost exactly the same experience. I always wanted to have long hair, but my mom would call me ugly and "homeless-looking" and forcefully cut my hair into a short bob. Eventually I got so fed up with it that I cut it all off into a pixie.

Nowadays she says my long hair "looks nice". I think she may feel remorse over me having had severe depression for half my life :p

sarana
July 3rd, 2023, 06:14 AM
I find it upsetting that in every viral online post with someone with very long hair there's masses of people badmouthing how ugly they think the hair looks just because it's long, even when it's healthy. Are they bots, there are so many comment sections filled with this? Where does all the hate come from?

cadaverinna
July 3rd, 2023, 06:10 PM

That's awful. I got that a lot when I started playing w colour, but I can't fathom how it'd compare to experience that kind of thing about your natural hair, like something's wrong w you. Awful.

Nefcerka
July 4th, 2023, 03:44 AM
I find it upsetting that in every viral online post with someone with very long hair there's masses of people badmouthing how ugly they think the hair looks just because it's long, even when it's healthy. Are they bots, there are so many comment sections filled with this? Where does all the hate come from?

It´s not just about very-long-hair-hate. Some people, especially on social media, take pleasure in hating and trolling everything, however slightly different from their own entrenched beliefs. It can be long haired women today, short haired women tomorrow, you get the idea (there are billions of examples really and let´s not ever forget politics). I try not to visit comment sections on anything really any more.

leayellena
July 7th, 2023, 06:35 AM
Hello again after dealing with loss...
Anyway, rude comments:
1. Why do you need such long hair?
Me: Why do you need such short hair?
2. It's damaged.
Me: frizzy, for many reasons: dry because I need a wash, humidity, heat dryness in summer....
3. You don't do anything with your hair.
Me: must I?
4. How much shampoo...?
Me: shows the bottle and the last time I payed for it.
Person: 😳
5. Your hair is thin
Me: fine
6. You'll go bald.
Me: since ever. I'm 33 and I'm still not so going bald.
7. Dress your hair.
Me: dress yours and leave me alone.

tx jim hair
July 27th, 2023, 09:31 PM
some people make rude comments about my hair that don't understand i love long hair

Für immer
July 28th, 2023, 09:22 AM
Just a random bicyclist (a man) passing by while 20 year old me was sitting on a bench: "blue hair. *ha ha ha*"

Like, who asked of his opinion? I think I know what color my hair was dyed in without any remarks thank you very much! And it's rude to laugh. :steam

AuroreVesperale
July 29th, 2023, 07:34 AM
I'm often compare to The Grudge / The Ring / Sadako because I have long thick hair and a bitch resting face. And since I'm young, I'm treated like a witch. I kinda like that because I love this vibe, ut I know the people saying that don't have good intentions.

Fiorentina
July 29th, 2023, 01:37 PM
-Your white hair making you looking old, you desperately need some color now.-

Nefcerka
July 30th, 2023, 03:59 AM
I'm often compare to The Grudge / The Ring / Sadako because I have long thick hair and a bitch resting face. And since I'm young, I'm treated like a witch. I kinda like that because I love this vibe, ut I know the people saying that don't have good intentions.

A witch? Really? Just tell them you will curse their tongues off next time :D Your hair is beautiful.

-Your white hair making you looking old, you desperately need some color now.-

Oh no, Fiorentina, that is really rude. Do what makes you happy, there is no need to give in to the mainstream ideas. It is definitely rooted in my country too, that women should color their grays, but why, oh why?? (Because it´s sexist and because producers want to sell hair-dye.) I think that gray hair is beautiful and I won´t ever color mine. (I had considered henna, but I don´t want the orange roots and monthly upkeep, so I will be a proud gray head.)

tuanyiji
July 30th, 2023, 05:40 AM
Some people here will comment that untrimmed long virgin hair is "土/mud/dirt", it doesn’t necessarily mean dirty, but more like unfashionable, out of styles, rustic, dumb. The opposite of 土 is 洋, which means something from overseas/foreign, but not necessarily exotic, it basically means fashionable, smart, usually meant colored or chemically treated layered hair.

I’ve learned to answer such comments with: "Great, now I have more dirt/mud to fill my garden." Or "Is this amount of mud enough to bury your body?"

pumpkinsage
July 30th, 2023, 07:54 PM
oh tuanyiji, those are really good comebacks!

for me, i've also been called a witch for my wild curly hair and someone even once said that they thought my mom was the devil with her curly black hair blowing in the wind and he got scared of her.
there have been many other rude comments about my hair and appearance but i worry about upsetting others so i won't share them.

Für immer
July 30th, 2023, 08:13 PM
These witch comments makes me have a flashback to when I was about 11 years old and was sporting a perm (that I was happy about), and some immature boys in my class called mé a witch on multiple occassions, just because my hair was at MBL and light blonde.
Don't remember what I thought about it back then, though I know I never reacted outwardly to their teasing.
But I do find those comments uppsetting now.

cadaverinna
July 30th, 2023, 10:04 PM
I get called a witch as complement on a regular basis. I'm worried now lol

Ylva
July 31st, 2023, 05:09 AM
In my teens, I was a huge 80s fan (especially the glam metal and hard rock scene), so I had a perm and teased my hair big. I got bullied a LOT for it - not just comments but people would also throw stuff into my hair such as eraser dust and one time, pie.

I am looking forward to blowdrying my hair big again soon, dressing up the way I used to back then (leopard pants, for example), and posting it all over my social media in celebration of these memories and where I am now. :)

AuroreVesperale
July 31st, 2023, 05:26 AM
A witch? Really? Just tell them you will curse their tongues off next time :D Your hair is beautiful.

Thank you ! I will do that, I'm such a weirdo for them anyway :lol:

for me, i've also been called a witch for my wild curly hair and someone even once said that they thought my mom was the devil with her curly black hair blowing in the wind and he got scared of her.
there have been many other rude comments about my hair and appearance but i worry about upsetting others so i won't share them.

That's awful to see that condemning witches is still a thing somehow. Maybe we're descendants of witches and people recognize that hahaha.

These witch comments makes me have a flashback to when I was about 11 years old and was sporting a perm (that I was happy about), and some immature boys in my class called mé a witch on multiple occassions, just because my hair was at MBL and light blonde.
Don't remember what I thought about it back then, though I know I never reacted outwardly to their teasing.
But I do find those comments uppsetting now.

I found them upsetting when I was young, but not anymore. People can be dumb.

I get called a witch as complement on a regular basis. I'm worried now lol

Well, it can be a compliment !

Braided Lady
July 31st, 2023, 10:03 AM
I would consider being called a witch in the Terry Pratchett sense to be one of the highest compliments, but I never have been. I do call another person that I highly respect a witch, and she has also read Discworld and takes it as a compliment.
It is terrible that people are still trying to insult others by calling them witches.

cadaverinna
July 31st, 2023, 10:28 AM
people would also throw stuff into my hair such as eraser dust and one time, pie.

WHAT? That's awful, how did that happen?? Out of the blue?

Fiorentina
July 31st, 2023, 10:51 AM
Oh no, Fiorentina, that is really rude. Do what makes you happy, there is no need to give in to the mainstream ideas. It is definitely rooted in my country too, that women should color their grays, but why, oh why?? (Because it´s sexist and because producers want to sell hair-dye.) I think that gray hair is beautiful and I won´t ever color mine. (I had considered henna, but I don´t want the orange roots and monthly upkeep, so I will be a proud gray head.)

You're so right Nefcerka, yes, it's really incredible what some people dare to say. For me it was a big affront beaten right in to my face.
Believe, I am very proud of my white hair :)
Regards
Fiorentina

Fiorentina
July 31st, 2023, 10:53 AM
Some people here will comment that untrimmed long virgin hair is "土/mud/dirt", it doesn’t necessarily mean dirty, but more like unfashionable, out of styles, rustic, dumb. The opposite of 土 is 洋, which means something from overseas/foreign, but not necessarily exotic, it basically means fashionable, smart, usually meant colored or chemically treated layered hair.

I’ve learned to answer such comments with: "Great, now I have more dirt/mud to fill my garden." Or "Is this amount of mud enough to bury your body?"

Thank you for telling us, tuanyiji, those comebacks are great.
Regards
Fiorentina

SandyBottom
July 31st, 2023, 03:09 PM
Last week I got asked by a guy at work if I was joining the Rastas because I had my satin bonnet on outside and I have a dark tan. He was attempting to be funny, not mean, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

pumpkinsage
July 31st, 2023, 09:39 PM
In my teens, I was a huge 80s fan (especially the glam metal and hard rock scene), so I had a perm and teased my hair big. I got bullied a LOT for it - not just comments but people would also throw stuff into my hair such as eraser dust and one time, pie.

I am looking forward to blowdrying my hair big again soon, dressing up the way I used to back then (leopard pants, for example), and posting it all over my social media in celebration of these memories and where I am now. :)

I think you should do whatever makes you happiest!! Right now, I'm super into the big curly 80s hair too and 80s fashion is so cool. I'm sorry they bullied you for that, that's just so awful. I hope you're able to dress the way you want. I'm sure you looked AMAZING in your teens!!

That's awful to see that condemning witches is still a thing somehow. Maybe we're descendants of witches and people recognize that hahaha.

I think being a witch is so cool and would be such an honor if someone recognized me as a witch in a positive light! Unfortunately, I would get called a witch to insult me. It was mainly because of my hair and my nose that I'd get those comments. It's just so rude to be calling someone that and saying it's a bad thing. But I've been called a witch in a positive way too! It's not all bad comments.

Nefcerka
August 1st, 2023, 02:08 AM
I would consider being called a witch in the Terry Pratchett sense to be one of the highest compliments, but I never have been. I do call another person that I highly respect a witch, and she has also read Discworld and takes it as a compliment.
It is terrible that people are still trying to insult others by calling them witches.

Once I´m fully gray I hope to have Granny Weatherwax hair! I love the scene in the Lords and Ladies when she takes down her tight bun and plucks one of her waist-length hairs to leash a unicorn! Or the scene in the Masquerade when she gets groomed for a party and the hairdresser asks her how she takes care of her beautiful hair and she says she makes sure there are no newts in the water!

You're so right Nefcerka, yes, it's really incredible what some people dare to say. For me it was a big affront beaten right in to my face.
Believe, I am very proud of my white hair :)
Regards
Fiorentina

Those people are most likely just jealous of your pretty hair, Fiorentina, and secretly wish they were just as brave not to color theirs. Don´t worry about them.
Have a lovely day.

Fiorentina
August 1st, 2023, 02:51 AM
Once I´m fully gray I hope to have Granny Weatherwax hair! I love the scene in the Lords and Ladies when she takes down her tight bun and plucks one of her waist-length hairs to leash a unicorn! Or the scene in the Masquerade when she gets groomed for a party and the hairdresser asks her how she takes care of her beautiful hair and she says she makes sure there are no newts in the water!

Those people are most likely just jealous of your pretty hair, Fiorentina, and secretly wish they were just as brave not to color theirs. Don´t worry about them.
Have a lovely day.

Thank you Nefcerka for your kind words :heart:
Regards
Fiorentina

embee
August 1st, 2023, 05:42 AM
I have two friends with very early white hair, one went white in her teens. Both have lovely hair and they don't look "old" as much as "exotic". :) My grandfather went silver very young and his hair was gorgeous! I did not know any of these folks when they were young, so do not know if they got snarky remarks or not.

Ylva
August 1st, 2023, 06:00 AM
WHAT? That's awful, how did that happen?? Out of the blue?

The throwing of stuff into my hair was a common method of bullying that several people did to me back then. The eraser dust was from a boy sitting behind me in class. The pie was on a bus on the way back from a school trip with the class. I don’t remember where or why but we all made pie that day. I’d actually had fun on that trip - one of the few nice school trips I had! But I guess the bullies had had even more fun and wanted to continue that by ruining my day, so one of the girls sitting a few seats behind me threw pie into my hair. I am a very patient and contained person and basically NEVER lose control of myself, but that time, I marched back there, furious, demanding to know who’d thrown it. Naturally, they didn’t tell me, and I suppose good for her because I honestly would have grabbed her by her hair with my left hand and stuffed the remaining pie down her throat with my right one. I was so upset by that event that I didn’t go to school for the rest of the week.

I guess that’s a good example of how anyone can go crazy if they get pushed and pushed.

I think you should do whatever makes you happiest!! Right now, I'm super into the big curly 80s hair too and 80s fashion is so cool. I'm sorry they bullied you for that, that's just so awful. I hope you're able to dress the way you want. I'm sure you looked AMAZING in your teens!!

Thank you for the kindness. :grouphug: :) Yes, now I’m able to be exactly what I want, even on stage, so I’m living my best life in that sense, and I believe the bullying helped because now I’m like, “If that’s the worst that’ll come out of looking a little silly in someone’s opinion, I’ll be just fine!”

I’m happy to hear you love the 80s aesthetic too!! Big hair all the way! :D

cadaverinna
August 1st, 2023, 02:58 PM
The throwing of stuff into my hair was a common method of bullying that several people did to me back then. The eraser dust was from a boy sitting behind me in class. The pie was on a bus on the way back from a school trip with the class. I don’t remember where or why but we all made pie that day. I’d actually had fun on that trip - one of the few nice school trips I had! But I guess the bullies had had even more fun and wanted to continue that by ruining my day, so one of the girls sitting a few seats behind me threw pie into my hair. I am a very patient and contained person and basically NEVER lose control of myself, but that time, I marched back there, furious, demanding to know who’d thrown it. Naturally, they didn’t tell me, and I suppose good for her because I honestly would have grabbed her by her hair with my left hand and stuffed the remaining pie down her throat with my right one. I was so upset by that event that I didn’t go to school for the rest of the week.

I guess that’s a good example of how anyone can go crazy if they get pushed and pushed.

Wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm the same as you, I ignore a lot of stuff(we call it "swallowing frogs" lol) but someone once cut a piece of my hair during class(the person sitting behind me as well) and I nearly broke his nose. Guess who got a suspension and who didn't!

Kat
August 1st, 2023, 08:43 PM
I have two friends with very early white hair, one went white in her teens. Both have lovely hair and they don't look "old" as much as "exotic". :) My grandfather went silver very young and his hair was gorgeous! I did not know any of these folks when they were young, so do not know if they got snarky remarks or not.

Yup-- I had a friend in college who I finally saw with her hair down (it wasn't that long, just that she usually wore it up) and realized that she had little strands of gray/silver all through her hair... it looked like she had strands of tinsel in her hair. Super-pretty.

Fiorentina
August 2nd, 2023, 02:49 AM
Ylva, I feel sorry you had such horrible experience. :blossom:
Regards
Fiorentina

Ylva
August 2nd, 2023, 05:01 AM
Wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm the same as you, I ignore a lot of stuff(we call it "swallowing frogs" lol) but someone once cut a piece of my hair during class(the person sitting behind me as well) and I nearly broke his nose. Guess who got a suspension and who didn't!

We use the frog expression as well! Usually as “letting frogs escape your mouth”, meaning you’re saying something you shouldn’t be saying. :D

Urgh, that’s awful!! It’s no surprise to me that you’re the one who got punished and not he…

Ylva, I feel sorry you had such horrible experience. :blossom:
Regards
Fiorentina

:grouphug: I think I have managed to turn it into strength now.

Braided Lady
August 2nd, 2023, 07:12 AM
'Letting frogs escape your mouth' reminds me of the fairytale where the mean stepsister goes to a magic well to get jewels falling out of her mouth when she speaks, which happened to her good but put upon sister, and instead winds up with toads and frogs hopping out of her mouth with every word she speaks
ETA
Because she only ever says rude things

Fiorentina
August 2nd, 2023, 01:21 PM
:grouphug: I think I have managed to turn it into strength now.

I am so glad to hear that and I'm sure you did, Ylva
Regards
Fiorentina

spirals
August 5th, 2023, 12:54 AM

Cutting your hair is assault. I hope it wasn't you who got into trouble but I suspect it was because this world is messed up.

Jools69
September 2nd, 2023, 03:23 AM

I’m sorry that happened to you. Kids (and even adults) can be so mean and it’s amazing how things like that stick with you.

Your post triggered a memory of a so-called friend putting staples into my hair with a stapler during class. Instead of the teacher asking who did it, I was told to just take the out!

Ylva
September 2nd, 2023, 03:37 AM
I’m sorry that happened to you. Kids (and even adults) can be so mean and it’s amazing how things like that stick with you.

Your post triggered a memory of a so-called friend putting staples into my hair with a stapler during class. Instead of the teacher asking who did it, I was told to just take the out!

Aaaaaaargh, that makes me so mad!! Sorry you had to go through that too. :(

ArienEllariel
September 2nd, 2023, 07:21 PM

Yikes! That sounds awful :(

spirals
September 2nd, 2023, 10:19 PM
I just remembered: I don't know if at the time it was the perm, my grown out wurls (that I didn't know I had, hence the perm), or just wild brushed out hair, but I got called mophead. I was told they could turn me upside down and clean the floor with me. I'm not even sure it hurt my feelings because honestly, the picture in my mind is hilarious. I think if it did hurt, it was because kids were picking up on the fact my crush didn't like me back and defending him or being on the offensive or whatever. Also at the time there was a mean rumor about me going around so this may have been teasing that was piggybacking on that. Anyway, I've see pictures of that perm and I looked like a 30-something teacher when I was in junior high. That's never the goal. I didn't even have long hair. It was just past shoulder.

I just googled him for kicks and realized that he has always looked like Matthew Perry/Chandler Bing. LOL!

Jools69
September 3rd, 2023, 02:36 AM
Aaaaaaargh, that makes me so mad!! Sorry you had to go through that too. :(

Yikes! That sounds awful :(

Thanks. I can’t recall if my hair was at bra strength length, or by then, I had one of the short ‘bubble’ perms of the early 80s. I had taken some of them out already before the teacher noticed them, when I went up to talk to her. I dread to think what damaged they caused.

Nefcerka
December 12th, 2023, 01:11 AM
Years ago I went to a hairstylist to have my hair done for a prom. I wanted it curled (tight curls) and loose with lots of volume. Little did I know that my thin fine hair will never ever hold a curl. The hairstylist fried my hair and used like a whole bottle of hairspray on me (that´s how it felt anyway), but by the time I got home and dressed (within one hour), all my curls were gone. By then it was too late to do anything about it, so I chose to wear my hair just straight and down (was about WL then). When I got to the prom, my then best friend and her mother asked me in unison: *Why didn´t you do anything about your hair??* It reduced me nearly to tears.
Years later (5 years ago) I wanted and had my hair cut into a very short pixie. There were days when it looked great on me and also days when I didn´t like it that much. But I was more or less content with my hairdo. The same "best friend", upon seeing me, baldly stated: *Don´t ever cut your hair again!!* It was delivered in a mean, condescending tone and it really hurt.
I don´t accept any such opinions about my hair from anyone these days. When one wants to criticize my hair, they should look into a mirror first. I daresay a person who is happy with their healthy hair won´t have a need to express such attitudes towards anyone.

Dark40
December 16th, 2023, 02:30 PM
I just remembered: I don't know if at the time it was the perm, my grown out wurls (that I didn't know I had, hence the perm), or just wild brushed out hair, but I got called mophead. I was told they could turn me upside down and clean the floor with me. I'm not even sure it hurt my feelings because honestly, the picture in my mind is hilarious. I think if it did hurt, it was because kids were picking up on the fact my crush didn't like me back and defending him or being on the offensive or whatever. Also at the time there was a mean rumor about me going around so this may have been teasing that was piggybacking on that. Anyway, I've see pictures of that perm and I looked like a 30-something teacher when I was in junior high. That's never the goal. I didn't even have long hair. It was just past shoulder.

I just googled him for kicks and realized that he has always looked like Matthew Perry/Chandler Bing. LOL!

Awww, spirals I'm so sorry you went through that. I remember when I started my first part time job one of my co-worker called me a mullet. Now, that was hurtful, and he was big weighing over 100 lbs., at the height of 6ft4in tall. If I was a mean person I could've called him, "Ugly,"lol or "Whale."lol

spirals
December 17th, 2023, 01:07 AM
Dark40,Thank you. It does make me laugh to think that his last name is Cherry and he looked like Chandler Bing. But it still bugs me a little. I hope he isn't a jerk anymore but in my head he'll always be how he was. Good on you for not sinking to your bully's level and calling him names. It's so tempting. I'm good at insults but I shouldn't be.

Todd
December 18th, 2023, 03:07 PM
The throwing of stuff into my hair was a common method of bullying that several people did to me back then. The eraser dust was from a boy sitting behind me in class. The pie was on a bus on the way back from a school trip with the class.

Kids can be so awful can't they! I remember being in grade school and I saw the kid in front of me put glue in the hair of the girl in front of him. Imagine the mess it must've made (on her hair AND her clothes, etc) once it dried.

Reminds me of those old plastic school chairs, which had two giant rivets on the back to hold the upright portion onto the chair legs. Anyone with hair long enough risked getting strands pulled out one at a time when they got caught by those rivets! I always wanted long hair even then but those chairs scared me.

Savvy
December 18th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Ive heard comments about my hair being "**** brown", "messy" (its curly) etc. The worst was when I worked the concession stand at a bowling alley and wore my hair in double braids- I was 16. Never wore my hair in double anything after that. The "handlebars" comments are so nasty.

I'm sorry people are so awful. Someone's hair color or style should not attract this kind of pervy attention!

Kat
December 18th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Reminds me of those old plastic school chairs, which had two giant rivets on the back to hold the upright portion onto the chair legs. Anyone with hair long enough risked getting strands pulled out one at a time when they got caught by those rivets! I always wanted long hair even then but those chairs scared me.

Oh my, yes! I had forgotten about that...

(Why do I even know that? My hair was no longer than shoulder length from age 8-9 until college... but I have a distinct memory of getting my hair caught in those things at least a couple times?)

Ive heard comments about my hair being "**** brown", "messy" (its curly) etc. The worst was when I worked the concession stand at a bowling alley and wore my hair in double braids- I was 16. Never wore my hair in double anything after that. The "handlebars" comments are so nasty.

I'm sorry people are so awful. Someone's hair color or style should not attract this kind of pervy attention!

EWWWW.

Why do people think these kinds of things are acceptable to say to strangers at all, let alone kids? Once in my 20s I was at an antique store and found one of those old loom shuttles (https://i.etsystatic.com/7710640/r/il/e47173/2648462672/il_794xN.2648462672_eawx.jpg) (I think that's what they are; at the time I wanted to turn it into a drop spindle). I was holding it as I finished browsing the store when a guy I passed leered, "What's THAT for?" Now, I used to look at least 10 years younger than I was, so in those days I looked like a teenager. Like, seriously, dude? You're going to say that to someone you don't know, period, let alone a kid? (I mean, at least it was all he said and I guess if I was too "young and innocent" for it, it would've gone right over my head. But, seriously?)