PDA

View Full Version : Help! I don't know how to wear my hair for my wedding!

Auryn
June 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ok, I need some help ladies :D

I'm getting married in November. I'm planning on having a mantilla style veil and haven't a clue how to style my hair.

I can't go to a stylist as the ceremony is going to be at 7am on a Sunday morning (yay for sunrise ceremonies :D )

My biggest problem is that I'm currently growing out my last dye job from just over a year ago. My roots are about 4 inches (just above my chin) and in most photos it looks horribly white trash to me. I've got 3 choices and I'm not sure what to do. 1) Cut out all the dye now and hope it grows fairly quickly between now and November. 2) Go to a colorist and get them to color the ends to match my natural color. or 3) Leave it alone.

I could have my aunt french braid it for me, as she is AWESOME at braiding. She used to braid her daughters' hair all the time.

I'm just not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

redcelticcurls
June 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
It might be a minority opinion, but I'd go to a good colorist and try to match a little more closely.

catfish
June 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Hmm:hmm: Maybe your second option is good to get the length dyed to match your natural roots and then in October get a little trim?

I don't recommend hoping for super growth if you plan to cut it now, but by dyeing it you could wait and see:shrug: just an idea.

On the other hand, if you plan to wear it up then it wont matter too much.

I do suggest this...do whatever it takes to ensure that you feel beautiful on your wedding day. :twocents:

catfish
June 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
It might be a minority opinion, but I'd go to a good colorist and try to match a little more closely.

Haa haa we posted same time, I agree:D

Quixii
June 21st, 2009, 10:43 PM
I agree with trying to get your dyed part to match your natural part. Like catfish said, then you can feel free to get a trim, but you won't feel like you have to.
I also agree with doing whatever makes you feel most beautiful. Do you want it all up, or just some parts?

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM
Honestly, I would go to a salon and dye it to match your roots then baby the heck out of it. The dye will make the transition seem a lot more natural and then just get trims until your ends are nice and healthy.

Bene
June 21st, 2009, 11:50 PM
i'm gonna go with the dye match option, and treat the dyed part extra nice. unless you're willing to chop it all off and walk down the aisle as a short haired bride.

tarn
June 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Yep, I agree too!
These are the pics you are gonna look back on for years to come. After growing it to this point, I would just try to match the colour up so it blends. Once you cut it you realy do limit your hair options... APL or longer is a great length for many bride styles, but too short and your options are really narrowed.
You can always go in for a few hairstyles with it how it is now, that way you can make an informed choice based on how you know you want to wear it. You may even find a style that suits the staus quo.

concrescence
June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 AM
I agree with the dye to match option, too. And not just because of the wedding. Unless the hair really is on its very last leg, I think it looks a lot nicer if one dyes it one last time to match the roots. I'm not a huge fan of the two-tone look (unless it's done that way on purpose, and that's usually canopy/underlayer not roots/ends), especially dark roots with blonde ends. I think that having it all one color usually makes it easier for the person growing it out to stick to their guns and be happy with their decision.

The wedding just gives you extra reason to dye. Those pictures will be around a long time, you'll feel more confident, and it will give nosy overly helpful and opinionated family and friends one less thing to bug you about.

Gothic Lolita
June 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I'd go for the dye-job too. I don't know what your virgin color is, but maybe you can even make it just a semi-permament color and still look very natural an lovely. I wouldn't cut it all off, you have so much more possibilites with longer hair and I, personally, would want to be proud of myself even years after my wedding when I look at he old photos.

And honestly: Is all about the bride's looks..... Everyone's firsyt qestion is about the dress and how she wore her hair :D

chelssix
June 22nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
I think you should go to your colorist- those pictures will be around forever, and you should look however you want.
I think having your aunt French braid it could be nice.

Madame J
June 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
I would color and consider wearing a wrap bun low on your neck to go with the mantilla-style viel. Seems like it would look right together. And a wrap bun is softer and more feminine, in my opinion, that tightly twisted buns. They always look so elegant when I see pictures here.

velvetcat
June 22nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I'll be watching this thread too, since I'm renewing my vows to my DH and want to wear a mantilla.

I like the really soft styles, lots of loose curls.

As for your hair, it would be a bit longer than APL by the time of your wedding, maybe close to BSL. That will give you lots of styling options. What hairstyles do you like, not considering the veil.
What does your dress look like?

Auryn
June 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Now to find a colorist :D

And a semi-fuzzy pic of my dress for those that are curious. I'm not wearing the veil I want in the pic, but it is very similar to the one I'm looking at.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/Sharay98/Dress020.jpg

It has a chapel length train that's rather flowy ;D

longhairedfairy
June 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I would recommend going to the colorist to get the ends matched to your natural color. This way you can still keep the length and you'll have lots more style options.

ETA: Oh, that's lovely! You'll look great at your wedding, whatever you choose!

embee
June 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
I'm with the others, match your roots best as possible and keep it long as possible so you have updo choices. Trims are *always* available, but growing time for a special event is hard to come by. ;)

I'm for the low bun myself. It's so sophisticated looking and will show off the mantilla very well.

I think a sunrise wedding sounds *lovely*, and then a nice breakfast after.... almost wish I'd thought of that for myself. ;) Then you have all day to visit with out of town friends, go where you are planning to go for your wedding trip, no travelling in the middle of the night, it just sounds like a really good idea.

hellkitty
June 22nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
With the curl in your hair (that is natural, right? ENVY!) I think you should do something that utilizes that. A Gibson tuck style with tendrils around the face and neck to soften it up, maybe? Nothing 'messy' or sloppy looking, but there's something about a loose curly tendril or two that just screams 'romantic' to me.

My escapees are straight like cat whiskers. NOT romantic.

HK

Auryn
June 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
With the curl in your hair (that is natural, right? ENVY!) I think you should do something that utilizes that. A Gibson tuck style with tendrils around the face and neck to soften it up, maybe? Nothing 'messy' or sloppy looking, but there's something about a loose curly tendril or two that just screams 'romantic' to me.

My escapees are straight like cat whiskers. NOT romantic.

HK

Yup the curl is natural with s tiny bit of help from sleeping with it braided. I'm definitely thinking a few loose tendrils will be part of the style. I'll have to look up the Gibson tuck and give it a try to see if it works well with my hair.

Bunnyhare
June 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM
I also would do the dye match..do you feel more beautiful with half ups or all up or all down?? what does your fiancee like your hair to be? It is all about you 2 that day so feel like a princess and don't chop!

klcqtee
June 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I would say go to the colourist. If your hair is darker than your dye job (I assume it is) then I would go to a colourist and ask for some "Lowlights" to help blend it, without risking damaging your hair too much more.
Also, I think it would be beautiful if you did it in a half updo, comb straight back, with some loose curly tendrils by your temple, then large barrel curls on the bottom part. Then you can put your hair in a beautiful little bun (the half up part) and find some awesome hair toys that match your wedding theme or flowers. Maybe some baby's breath pinned in, and using a ribbon to tie your hair back (or to cover the hair tie!) Oooh it'd be pretty!

Okay. That's my vote. Good luck!

thankyousir74
June 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Another vote for the dye!

sklent
June 23rd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I'm also voting dye!

And a half-up :)