PDA

View Full Version : How Much Conditioner do you USE?

Pages : [1] 2

GlassEyes
June 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
As a curly-haired person, I use a lot of conditioner. Actually, even for a curly haired-person, nevermind a FINE haired one, I use a ton of conditioner.

Everyday, I use a palmful of conditioner for my CO wash. And that's just the 'shampoo' part. I then take another palmful after and slather my hair with it, sometimes using more. Then I rinse that, and add another FULL PALMFUL of conditioner as a leave-in. Sometimes I use nearly as much as I do for a wash as a leave-in.

Then I apply a leave-in conditioner ON TOP OF THAT. :p:p So I'm curious, am I alone in my freaky amount of conditioner usage? I'm not even shoulder length, and I can go through 2 bottles a week...but usually they last two. Usually. Thankfuy they're cheap and I recycle.

Lately I've been debating going without the washes everyday and just doing the leave-in most of the time, but meh. Maybe when it's longer. xD;

jessie58
June 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM
Whoa, I don't use 2 bottles a week but I do use a lot of conditioner. I diluted my Nature's Gate conditioner and so I use handfuls of that to wash, but only on my scalp. Then I use a couple of handfuls on my length, using AG Ultramoist, which is not cheap.

My hair is BSL and has been layered and thinned so I only have half the hair that I had before. Strangely enough, I used less product when I had more hair.

After the shower I also use a leave in conditioner, AG Fast Food. I've just started this routine a few weeks ago but I do use a ton of conditioner!!

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well, the super cheap conditioner I use to wash with feels somehow rough to me, I need to use 2 or three handfuls to wash! To condition, I use at least one good palmful on my crown but my length is thinner and I use a thicker conditioner on them so only a dollop slightly larger than a quarter. Sometimes I'll use a pea sized squirt as a leave in but lately I've just been using a few drops of oil as a leave in.

Laurel32
June 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
I go through about 2-3 conditioners every month and I always CO. I almost exclusively use V05 I love V05 because it is very cheap and works like a charm! I usually rotate through my V05's.:gabigrin:

Dars
June 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Roughly a full cupped handful, possibly more, for an entire CO wash with my curly BSL hair. Lately I've been only washing once a week to stretch the conditioner out......it's so expensive (to me). :(

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 21st, 2009, 10:49 PM
I also use about a cupped handful every time I wash

KiwiLiz
June 21st, 2009, 11:11 PM
I used to use half a handful and then smidgen of leave in. I recently bought alchemy conditioner, since it's expensive I'm trying to use less, I use maybe a third of what I used to use.

Melisande
June 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
I use about 2 teaspoons, no more. I CWC - the first teaspoon goes into my wet ends, then I wash with diluted shampoo, do my catnip rinse, wich I rinse out with diluted conditioner (only on my lengths). The Alverde conditioner I use is rather rich and I prefer to dilute it with water, a bit of citric acid and sometimes honey.

My hair is straight, and the cuticle layer of the hair is intact, far as I can see. So I don't need much conditioner.

Bene
June 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM
about 2 full handfuls after i shampoo, i think

AnnaMarie
June 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
Lots :D I CO and CWC once a week and I use about a half a bottle of conditioner each wash, so a bottle a week. But V05 is cheap enough that I don't feel too bad about it :o

Carolyn
June 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
For a CO wash I use about 1/5 of a bottle of VO5 or WR. I'd guess that's 2-3 handfulls. For the second condition in a CO wash maybe 4 T. I do that 3-4 times a week. Sometimes 5. I don't often use a leave in.

Tap Dancer
June 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I use about 1/3 of a bottle of VO5 to CO wash. I need to use a lot of conditioner before I can even reach my scalp because my hair is thick. Then I use a generous amount of conditioner on my length after I've rinsed the VO5 out.

AJoifulNoise
June 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
I use about two 14 oz (I think that's about right) bottles of conditioner every 2 weeks. At a heaping palm full a day. Those are my main CO conditioners. Then there are some I use once or twice a week. Those last longer, 1-3 months depending on which one I am favoring.

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
I don't CO, but with my Alaffia conditioner, I use an 8oz bottle somewhere in the realm of 2-4 weeks with my hair at shoulder length and extensive oilings. I use about a handfull, or so per day depending on how dry my hair is. On the virgin parts of my hair, I could probably use a tablespoon ,but on the bleached/blowdried parts of my hair, it just sucks it in(And handfuls of oil! I did a deep oiling last night, 1/2 cup of olive oil. The top was soaked with oil, but the bottom looked blondeish, and only slightly oil after 10 minutes! XD Darn naturally dry scalp and hair!)

Copasetic
June 22nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
If I am washing my hair with the conditioner, I use about a palm full to start, and then I will add a bit more if I fee like I need it. So about 1.3 palm-fulls total. To condition when I am in the shower, I use about a golf ball sized amount. I find I need a lot to be able to comb my hair easily. And then when I use my usual leave-in, I use about a twoonie sized amount (that reference makes sense if you are Canadian). But when I use my Giovanni leave-in, I only use a tiny bit because its quite a bit more expensive than the other products I use, and I am on a budget :p .

RoseRedDead
June 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Judging from your guys' estimates of personal use, too much. :eek:

I tend to use about 1/5 to 1/3 of a bottle of conditioner for each CO wash (2x a week).

Methinks I should try using less... maybe I'm cleaning my hair too thoroughly, and that's why it's so dry.

swanns
June 22nd, 2009, 12:09 PM
I wash about three times a week, and one bottle of conditioner usually lasts about two weeks or so. I do think I use lots.

Longlocks3
June 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
I CO, almost everyday. Maybe I skip a day once a week. I use A LOT though compared to everyone else so far.

I put a handful on my scalp and two to three handfuls on my length.....And sometimes it feels like I need more on my length.

kwaniesiam
June 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
I used to go through gallons of it when I was a CO washer, but since I started using CV shampoo bars I rarely even need to condition. If I do, just a tiny squirt of Giovanni TTTT from the ears down, or a bit of VO5 chamomile conditioner works well for me.

teela1978
June 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
I shampoo and condition, and I use a thicker conditioner every time. I probably use 2-3 tablespoons. Not a whole lot. I probably go through a bottle of conditioner every month or two.

masterofmidgets
June 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
A family-size bottle of Suave (about 22 oz?) lasts me somewhere in the range of 10 days to two weeks. I wash three times a week, usually, and I use a lot of conditioner each time - two big palmfuls on the length on either side and one palmful on the ends. I like to have enough conditioner on that I can fingercomb all the tangles out in the shower without any difficulty. And my hair's pretty dry, so it just soaks it all up - I can use a third or a half of a bottle of a thicker conditioner (I swap out Suave with Nourish Spa once in a while) without overconditioning at all.

neon-dream
June 22nd, 2009, 03:56 PM
A LOT. Haha :P

curls2grow
June 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I easily use a handful, and I even put it on my scalp. I figure I need to use enough to condition the thirsty little bit of length that I have, and get slip for scalp massage. I have used to little and my hair looked and felt sad. I use Suave and more expensive stuff because I like to rotate weekly.

Peter
June 22nd, 2009, 04:40 PM
I don't use much conditioner... three decent-sized blobs each CO wash, which is once a week.

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Nope, you're not alone. It takes me a while to go through a bottle of conditioner, maybe a month, but I do use a lot with each wash. I do CWC, so it's about half a palmful for the first application, then a whole palmful for the second. Thank God for cheap conditioner.

rose_in_bloom
June 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Usually I S&C -- I use a large palmful of conditioner, or however much is enough to coat my hair (just from the ears down).

Duchess of Erat
June 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
I use about 2 palms full of conditioner after each wash (I wash about 2x a week). I put one from the ears down and the second I use to really saturate my ends, they need it.

rapunzhell13
June 23rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
I use a lot, especially if it's cone-free (and it usually is). I use 3 big globs and a little extra on the ends. My shampoo to conditioner ratio is about 1:3.

Shadow
June 23rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
I've found that I dont really use much more conditioner than I normally would. I've mostly stopped using shampoo, unless it's very diluted and used after a heavy oiling but otherwise my conditioner usage has remained the same as when I did use shampoo. I use about a tablespoonful (my hair is only shoulder length and not very thick).

JamieLeigh
June 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
I wash about every 3 days or so (sometimes more often, depending on the level of exertion and sweating during the day), and I use about 1/4 a regular-sized bottle of Suave conditioner every time. That's about 2 whopping handfuls, which is enough for my scalp and length. My hair is classic length and fine/medium, if that makes a difference.

EvaSimone
June 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I use between 1-2 handfuls after I shampoo. My poor hair is pretty damaged and it needs a lot of conditioner to detangle.

Anje
June 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
I use roughly 2 palmfuls for each CO wash. One for the scalp, one for the length. A family-size bottle of Suave lasts me roughly 1-2 months.

Teakafrog
June 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM
1-2 heaping cupped handfuls for CO wash (suave or VO5) on scalp and fingercombed through, then a palmful of thicker richer stuff for actual conditioner afterwards from ears down. Probably a couple bottles of the cheap stuff a month, the 'regular' conditioner lasts a couple months, since I don't wash every day.

LadyLongLocks
June 29th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Maybe 1/4 cup before and after I shampoo. Sounds like a lot, but I only wash every 5-6 days.
Without conditioner I would not have long hair!

dulce-de-leche
June 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I use a handful but I recently tried Pantene beautiful lengths and i loved the way it left my hair.I know.I know,I know there are alot of people here that say it's really bad for your hair.I really liked the results and it was the 2 in 1.

theshadowpuppet
June 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM
A 20 oz VO5 lasts me about 10 washes, I guess. I like to slather the length of my hair as much as the scalp, since I CO.

misspriss
June 29th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I get 7-9 uses from a family size Suave. I CO every few days, so condish lasts about 3 weeks or 4, I don't know. A regular size Suave maybe 5 uses?

I use 1.5 handful for CO washing my head, and at least 1-2 more for the length. I'm at BSL btw.

Flotsum
June 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
My hair is curly so I load up on conditioner and I use a leave-in.

getoffmyskittle
June 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Two bottles a week?

Gracious. :bigeyes:

I don't know exactly how much I use, but I was a COer until yesterday, and a regular-sized bottle (16oz? 20oz? *clueless*) lasts at least a month.

teela1978
June 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I use a handful but I recently tried Pantene beautiful lengths and i loved the way it left my hair.I know.I know,I know there are alot of people here that say it's really bad for your hair.I really liked the results and it was the 2 in 1.

I think the 'pantene is really bad for your hair' thing is a myth. It works for some people and it doesn't work for others, just like anything else. The ingredients really aren't any different than other conditioners out there.

Heavenly Locks
June 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
A typical bottle of suave or vo5 lasts me ... :thinking: about a month? I am a COer and I use 3-4 palm fulls to get all my hair saturated...

GlassEyes
June 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Two bottles a week?

Gracious. :bigeyes:

I don't know exactly how much I use, but I was a COer until yesterday, and a regular-sized bottle (16oz? 20oz? *clueless*) lasts at least a month.

A little bit exaggerated on my part, but I use a lot of conditioner. XD; If I don't, my hair revolts.

If I had to make an actual guess, it'd be more like a bottle of suave (the family size) will last me about two weeks.

lavenderblue
June 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
mmmm.....that's a lot of conditioner, I think the amount of conditioner you use in week wil last for at least two months for me :)
I use a little and it depends on the band of conditioner I use. My AO honeysuckle rose I use very little of (like a teaspoon), my wella kruidenbalsem I use al little bit more of (a tablespoon). I learned less conditioner works better for me.

Lexibeth
July 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
I use a little more than a palm full, unless it feels dry, then I use 2 palm fulls. I like to use different conditioners, depending on my mood. I've recently started CO and the jury is still out after only a week.

hennaphile
July 1st, 2009, 02:29 AM
Oh ya, I do too. I actually tried a conditioner today that left MY hair oily... that has never happened in my life. I'm going to dilute it :P

marzipanthecat
July 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
I get through a lot of conditioner. I wash my hair around once every two days, and use a BIG palmfull of conditioner normally (around 50ml). It's not expensive brands I use - at the moment I have a lot of Elvive because it was on buy-one-get-one-free. I normally have to use some sort of conditioner or my hair just turns into a huge snarly knot.

I don't tend to use leave-in conditioners because they make my hair feel kind of weighed-down, and also I don't find they make my hair any nicer.

Also, if using this much conditioner works for you, hey, carry on!

rach
July 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
depend on the thickness of the conditioner . thick conditioners about a handful, normal conditioners 2 handfuls, week cheap conditioners more. enough that it coats my hair well.

sweet*things
July 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Maybe a quarter sized dollop? I S&C 2-3 times per week. I've got waist length hair, but it's fairly thin so handfuls would be overkill. I put it on from ears down, wait a minute or two for it to soak in and "soften" the hair and then give it a light rinse.

Eden Iris
July 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
My fine, wavy hair does not love conditioner, but I do need a little to detangle. If I'm using a shampoo bar, I use about a dime-sized glob, just enough to cover my ends, and then I follow with vinegar rinse. If I use liquid shampoo, I'll use about a tablespoon to cover all my hair.

I don't normally use leave-in, although I have been experimenting with Fox's recipe (conditioner and coconut oil and shea).

Ryanne
July 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM
A handful a week, I think. The cheap kind now.

mhiap
July 1st, 2009, 02:15 PM
I go through about a bottle a week doing CO washes maybe 4 times a week. If it's a thicker conditioner, I'll dilute it then it might last up to a week longer. Hooray for cheapo conditioners!

may1em
July 2nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
As CO wash - three handfuls of the cheap stuff. As conditioner, two handfuls of the cheap stuff or one-two scant handfuls of the good stuff (depending on whether I'm using cheap stuff only on the length, saving the good stuff for the very ends, which I do if I'm washing 3 or 4 days after my last wash, as opposed to 6 or 7 - in which case I'll use more good stuff on all the length). Usually followed by a grape-sized amount of the good stuff as a leave in.

Cheap stuff = VO5
Good stuff = anything heavier.

LittleOrca
July 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I use about a cupped handful, and I mean only the palm here, not the fingers as well. I am trying to use less that I used to and add more if needed instead of making the whole tub a slippery mess. It also helps me feel like I'm saving money.

daeana
July 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
due to fun new airline travel restrictions, i learned that i use over 3oz of conditioner per wash; probably closer to 4, but since i didn't have that much... didn't actually know this before. :p fortunately, i only wash once a week at the most.

Ash
July 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
For my CWC days, I use about 2 palmfuls of the first conditioner (helps to get out the oil) and 1/2 to 1 palmful of the second. On CO days, I use around 2 palmfuls of the stuff.
1st conditioner - Kiss My Face MissTreated
2nd conditioner and CO - Giovanni 50/50
Unfortunately this tends to get kind of expensive after a while, but the cheap chemical products make my hair fall out. :(

free_hug
July 3rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
A palmful for CO, every 3-4 days. So far I was quite worried i'm using way too much on my otherwise short hair (and when i use more than the palmful, it does make my hair a bit dryer), since i used a lot less when a shampooed as well. But now that i see the amount of the others, i feel relieved :D

paper
July 3rd, 2009, 04:55 AM
I use about 1/4 bottle of condtioner for CO and thats it! I CO twice a week. I've been trying different condtioners but I really like the suave coconut.

Addy
July 3rd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I ususally hold the bottle over my head and squirt it all over! :D

Nah, I'm just kiddin. I ain't that big of a conditioner hog but I do use a good bit to CO. I usually fill my palm up, fingers and all and then go back for more if I think I need it. :D

HisForever
July 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well, I shampoo and condition, so after shampooing I use 2 pumps of my Kirkland conditioner, then after I get out of the shower I put in a pump of leave-in.

ZaBasDa
July 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
If I would CO, I would use at least two handfuls and actually probably three of conditioner to get my hair clean.

As it is now, I'm doing s+c and washing my hair about once a week or longer. I go through my bottles of V05 in about 4-5 washes. But I am using it for conditioner and leave-in.

allege
July 3rd, 2009, 10:13 PM
When I CO I use a ton of conditioner, usually half a bottle.

Now when I do a scalp only wash which I do about once a week twice if needed I use a quarter size dot of JASON Lavender Shampoo and an equal amount of JASON Tea Tree Scalp Normalizing Conditioner mixed together in my palm and applied to my scalp.

Moonstruck
July 4th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I use conditioner only as a conditioner, not for COing... and the same 16oz bottle has now lasted me over 6 MONTHS with it being maybe 1/4th done. So maybe next year around this time I'll contemplate getting a new bottle.

GlassEyes
July 4th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I use conditioner only as a conditioner, not for COing... and the same 16oz bottle has now lasted me over 6 MONTHS with it being maybe 1/4th done. So maybe next year around this time I'll contemplate getting a new bottle.

Lucky you.

*Rose Red*
July 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I use one bottle (250ml) of conditioner in approximately 3 months. I wash my hair 3 times a week.

sweet*things
July 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
You guys that use a lot of conditioner, do you need to use that much, or is it just habit? I only use a little bit (nickel to quarter sized amount) and my bottles will last 6-9 months (until long after my hair and I are sick of them ;)). I condition from my ears down and I feel like I'm getting plenty in there. I've got fine, straight, smooth hair, so maybe that eases distribution? I usually use product that is at least as thick in consistency as Pantene or Nexxuss conditioners, although I'm no longer using those.

I'm curious, you've all got gorgeous hair, and I'm wondering what changes I can make to fix mine up.

ladylibra
July 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
You know what helps GlassEyes? Watering down your conditioner. At least, it works well with V05 and TJ Nourish conditioner... you can water it down to 50% and it will still work great. And if you add other goodies to your conditioner like I do, it works even better. Honey and olive oil thicken watered-down conditioner up very well. This is what I do now, because like you I use a LOT of conditioner.

Also, I use my regular conditioner as my leave-in. As in, co-wash, rinse, add more conditioner to length and ends of hair, comb through. So, that justifies why I use so much too. I don't really use any other products, so I don't feel bad buying up 20 bottles of V05 when they're on sale for $.66 a bottle. I don't care if the cashier gives me funny looks. :laugh:

Um... and apply in sections! I find it is hard to saturate my entire head with conditioner. But if I do section by section I can get away with using about half as much, believe it or not.

That's all the helpful tips I have. I still go through a bottle of V05 a week during the warmer months, but it could be sooooo much worse! :laugh:

Alia
July 4th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I use, maybe, a palmful and a half twice a week. When traveling, those little single serve bottles just don't cut it, so I fill up two or more 2oz bottles with conditioner, just so I won't be forced to use whatever might be available at my destination. One time, the only one there was one of those screaming blue rinses for gray hair. :uhh:

Aries_jb
July 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I used to be very heavy handed with my conditioners. I would use a palmful for my length and a palmful for the top of my head. Then when I started using more expensive ones, I couldn't bring myself to put that much in my hair. I felt like my money was literally going down the drain. Now, I find a small quarter-sized works pretty well for me. I doubt I ever really needed to use so much in the first place. My hair is not particularly long or thick, though.

GlassEyes
July 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You know what helps GlassEyes? Watering down your conditioner. At least, it works well with V05 and TJ Nourish conditioner... you can water it down to 50% and it will still work great. And if you add other goodies to your conditioner like I do, it works even better. Honey and olive oil thicken watered-down conditioner up very well. This is what I do now, because like you I use a LOT of conditioner.

Also, I use my regular conditioner as my leave-in. As in, co-wash, rinse, add more conditioner to length and ends of hair, comb through. So, that justifies why I use so much too. I don't really use any other products, so I don't feel bad buying up 20 bottles of V05 when they're on sale for $.66 a bottle. I don't care if the cashier gives me funny looks. :laugh:

Um... and apply in sections! I find it is hard to saturate my entire head with conditioner. But if I do section by section I can get away with using about half as much, believe it or not.

That's all the helpful tips I have. I still go through a bottle of V05 a week during the warmer months, but it could be sooooo much worse! :laugh:
That is good advice. I worry about usign olive oil and adding honey in though, because I use my conditioner as leave-in too and I don't want greasy hair. MAybe if I keep an unedited bottle.

Also, I dilute my more expensive conditioners. xD My hair can't take overly-thick stuff. I've never watered down my cheap stuff though...I'll give it a shot!

Paniculata
July 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Hmm .. enough that its getting expensive ;)

Condition/wash/condition = about 1/4 cup I would say. I wash every second day so go through a 400ml bottle of V05 every two weeks or so.

Btw: we must have very different V05 here in New Zealand as it costs me $5.99 a 400ml bottle .. not what I would call cheap! But then again, I am cheap :)

mwedzi
July 6th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I probably use 1-2 handfuls each time, but I only wash once a week generally.

Arctic_Mama
July 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Maybe a palmful, at this length? I could use more but my conditioner is fairly expensive, so
I stretch it a bit!

batteredcakes
July 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I only use a palm full of shampoo and about 2-3 palms of conditioner. I always buy a regular size garnier shampoo bottle then a big bottle of conditioner.

prettigurl
August 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I use a bunch too. I use 2 to 3 dollops of conditioner during my cowash and sometimes I use about a quarter sized amount as leave in. Then I add a real leave in on top of that. I could easily go through a bottle a week if I cowashed daily, but I only co every other day.

Shiva
August 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I don't use conditioner anymore.

Naamah
August 8th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I CO and I use about 1 to 2 handfulls of conditioner every time I wash. Currently I wash my hair every other day, but I'm trying to do every 2 days to make my conditioner last longer.

Laylah
August 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
I use conditioner only as conditioner, once a week. So not that much. I've had the same bottle for several months and am only about 1/4 way through.

As for oil, I can use more than plenty. For leave in everyday, I use a three quarter size amounts of olive oil for the length of my hair. I don't even know how much I use a pre-wash.

Lady Mary
August 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I use anywhere from a silver dollar sized to two of those, depending on how my hair feels while I'm conditioning it.

redcelticcurls
August 9th, 2009, 02:30 PM
It depends on the quality and type for me.

A bottle of Suave wouldn't get me through a week.

A bottle of AOHR lasts me for 4-10 weeks (depending on the season) because I need less of it.

My Knot Today gets used quickly because it is my detangler and also my leave-in.

Medievalmaniac
August 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
wow...I don't think I use enough! lol A bottle of conditioner can last me aboujt a month and a half, I wash three times a week or so and then use about a palmful of conditioner with each wash. Hmmm....maybe I should try upping the ante, since some of the hair I love best on the LHC boards is responding with such large quantitites!! (Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right...? ;op )

redcelticcurls
August 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
A little bit exaggerated on my part, but I use a lot of conditioner. XD; If I don't, my hair revolts.

If I had to make an actual guess, it'd be more like a bottle of suave (the family size) will last me about two weeks.

We curlies are conditioner needy, that's all. :D

Marika
August 10th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I always thought I use a lot of conditioner but apparently I don't!:D I use about half a palm of conditioner after shampoo. When I CO, I use a handful of conditioner on scalp and half a palm on my length.

Monsterkitti
August 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I'll use between 1 and 2 big palmfuls of a cheapy conditioner but as I only wash weekly it doesnt really add up to a lot, a bottle might last a month or 2 .

EtherealOde
August 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
A lot, but I have 3 different types of conditioner now. Probably about 1/4 cup to CO, then a tiny bit more as a leave in, about a half teaspoon mixed with a couple drops of jojoba oil. Deep treatments use less, because I'm not using it to clean my scalp. I generally clean my hair 2-3x per week, less if I don't have plans to go anywhere and don't feel a need to look great.

dernhelm
August 10th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I use a palmful for my wash, another palmful for my rinse-out and a little less for my leave-in. My hair loves conditioner:inlove:

GlassEyes
August 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
It depends on the quality and type for me.

A bottle of Suave wouldn't get me through a week.

A bottle of AOHR lasts me for 4-10 weeks (depending on the season) because I need less of it.

My Knot Today gets used quickly because it is my detangler and also my leave-in.

We curlies are conditioner needy, that's all. :D

XD I feel better about my usage now.

I find I use less now that I'm using a heavier conditioner after my CO wash, actually. I use both AOWC and GVP Conditioning Balm after my rinse, and I only use about a quarter-size of the former, and maybe three quarters of the GVP per wash. I wash everyday though, so it adds up.

I still use at least a palm of suave. I feel like I have to. xD; But I use less in general now that my hair retains moisture for more than a day. :rolleyes: The joys of porous hair. Or mostly porous, I think.

rusika1
August 10th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I use about 1/4-1/2 C of Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, which is really thick. I apply it from the jawline down, then separate my hair into strands, making sure to coat them all. Leave it in whilst doing all my other shower stuff, then rinse out the (extremely diluted) shampoo and conditioner and follow with ACV rinse.

Jinx2234
August 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I CO and I use 3 or 4 handfuls of cheap conditioner each time I wash my hair.

Teacherbear
August 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
If I am using my Giovanni conditioner, I use about a half-dollar size (maybe a little smaller). If I am using cheap conditioner for CO, I use 2, maybe 3 full palms. But I only put on one application of conditioner for my CO (I put on enough to get my scalp slick and almost lathery, then apply a bit to the length - I leave it on for a minute or two - then I rinse the whole thing out. Then I apply my leave in (less than the size of a dime).

heynormy
August 10th, 2009, 11:49 PM
As a wavy, I think I use way too much conditioner! Maybe about a palm full or less. I'm still working out the kinks!

Chanterelle
August 11th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Not much - about a teaspoonful on the length from ears down, after shampooing the scalp.

liseling
August 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Oh yes, I use quite a lot of conditioner. I CO, then put more conditioner in, then use more with leaving in and styling. Maybe you should try brands that have bulk sizes available? order the small bottles first to try them out, but then you can buy the huge X-gallon bottle and be set for months! I've done this and I love not having to get anything from the store for ages and ages. Plus it's usually cheaper in bulk and saves packaging!

redcelticcurls
August 11th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I wish Kinky Curly Knot Today came in a gallon size.

GlassEyes
August 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
They do have an uber refill available on their website...I think it might be close to a gallon?

It's like, 44 bucks though.

redcelticcurls
August 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM
They do have an uber refill available on their website...I think it might be close to a gallon?

It's like, 44 bucks though.

Yeah, I've seen that, but it keeps running out.

Ah, I'll check again next payday.

Rentlle
August 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
hihi I use to much XD
i use a half a hand full :D
It just smell's so nice, and can't be bad for your hair.. right??
and.. I cWC
so that's a hand full :)
every three days, i think :)
+
a bit for leave in :)
or maaaaaaaaany for deep-nourising.. but then I leave in for a couple of hours :)

Angharad
August 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I think it's about a handfull conditioner. When I use the Hauschka conditioner I use half a handfull because the stuff is sooo heavy that a little goes a long way!

SHELIAANN1969
August 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I probobly use 3 to 4 bottles a week, I use around 1/2 a bottle each time I shower, which is daily.

Then I use several leave in methods as well. Last night I used Biolage, then Monoi Oil, then Dabur Vatika. I am really mositurized! Sometimes I have to add several pumps of leave in, 2 to 3 times to get my hair where *I want it to be*

I have over 50 bottles and 4 1/2 gallons of conditioner, not to mention about 15+ leave in products, oils, mixes etc.

I am actually debating making another purchase of AO Lavender conditioner from Puritans Pride, in excess of 50 bottles, because it is 10$ for 6 bottles right now.

I am insane, I know, very obsessive, but it's my hair! ;)

SHELIAANN1969
August 14th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Oh lord, I just read the whole thread and I feel like a conditioner hog! :D

mira-chan
August 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
If I'm using all herbs or a herb CO (methi or hibiscus) then none. If shampoo, or sometimes herbs then quite a bit for a wash. Not as much as a curly but getting there. A palmful or two of rinse out at least and some leave in on top of that. Then the day after I oil, so I don't use conditioner for the week. The bottle last me a while due to the spacing of washes and herbs.

pixiedoo
August 14th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I use loads of conditioner, at least a large handful everytime I wash. I use about 5 bottles of conditioner to every 1 bottle of shampoo.

Rhiannon7
August 17th, 2009, 06:34 PM
i am so bad.....:p i use 5-6 palmfulls of conditioner whenever i wash my hair. that's almost half a normal 22.5 fl. oz. bottle of conditioner. and that's the not cone type condish, if i use a cone condish like pantene i use 4 palm fulls. buy alot of condish all the time, per month i buy abt. 7-10 22.5 fl. oz. of condish. maybe that's why my hair will not grow? drenched the hair follicles, but still i can see from my roots that it does grow. just don't see it when i measure.

amyapple329
August 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I think the 'pantene is really bad for your hair' thing is a myth. It works for some people and it doesn't work for others, just like anything else. The ingredients really aren't any different than other conditioners out there.

I have used Pantene for years and have never had a problem. I have been using the Beautiful Lengths line since it came out and love it. I use the 2 in 1 then follow up with a huge handful of conditioner. Sometimes I repeat with another large handful of conditioner. I go through a 24.5 oz bottle about every 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

liseling
August 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM

As far as I know it would only be 'bad' for your hair if it doesnt agree with silicones, or alternitively if your hair doesnt like the sulphates in the shampoo occasionally needed to get the cones out of your hair.

eternallyverdan
August 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
My goodness, people! That is a lot of conditioner! I wash my scalp with WhisperingWindzFarm whipped soap and I'm currently using HE Long Term Relationship to condition the length. I use MAYBE an almond-walnut sized amount for my length, and even when I CO I don't use any more than say, a shot of espresso worth of Suave or V05. My hair is about classic, BTW.

ademtce
August 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM
i think use the least amount of anyone on here (i could be wrong) but now i none.
but if detangler counts (a spray) then 6 sprays per wash or should i say post wash.

peachrose
August 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I've found the perfect conditioner for me but it's not cheap. I pay about $16 (CAD) for a bottle of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. It's really thick though and the bottles actually feel insanely heavy so I feel like I am getting my money's worth. I use about a twoonie sized amount each time I conditioner (I use shampoo bars on my scalp) which is about twice a week. I go through one bottle in about 4 months. For the non-canadians that would be a dollop about an inch and a bit wide. :cheese:

Fractalsofhair
August 20th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Now that my hair is nearly all undamaged, I use maybe a handful of conditioner per wash, on the days I use it.

I use a shampoo bar most days, with a vinegar rinse. Since going off the pill, my scalp is more oily(in a good way!!!) so it's not in desperate need of conditioner every day in the summer.

When my hair was bleached and blowfried, I'd go thru a bottle of super rich conditioner every 2 weeks or so. Now, I use Whole Foods 365 most days, in the big bottle, and use my Alaffia when my hair needs a treat. XD

thankyousir74
August 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I use maybe one palm full every time I CO. About twice a week, that is. It may not be as much as some of you ladies, but it's enough for my brother to notice a significant drop in his conditioner level when I stayed at his house :lol:

Aisha25
August 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Too much!!

NiAosSi
August 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I use tons of conditioners. There are bottles everywhere! I even have two bottles of V05 in the fridge. They come in handy when it's hot outside and my head is sweaty/hot!

Sammybunny711
August 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I use a TON (I'm a COer.) Even with my pixie hair, I use about a palm-full and a half each wash (every other day.)

sana junaid
August 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
full palm but my hair feels still dry :(

Flynn
August 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
A good palmful or three per wash (every 2-4 days), plus a dab extra (a 20c piece size... don't know what to compare that to in US currency) as a leave-in.

Madonna-Fan
August 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
In comparison to you I use almost no conditioner :hmm:.
I dilute my conditioner 2 dabs on 100 ml water,
so I spend 1 bottle of conditioner in about 3 months .

Reptilia
August 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
I use a palmful for CO wash, and then another palm for the length, thats it!

Elphie
August 22nd, 2009, 06:07 PM
I go through about two bottles a month right now during the summer and I'm CO about 5 days a week.

dukkelisa
August 22nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Too much conditioner and my hair gets limp and flat. I shampoo, then add one does of conditioner, let it set while I wash up and then rinse it out. I oil or use leave in conditioner in between washes (about once a week). Mostly my braid and tail.

Asocialisten
August 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
1/4 of a bottle every time I wash my hair, much to my mothers dismay as we really don't have a lot of money and with our economy it can get expensive.

Flynn
August 25th, 2009, 12:41 AM
1/4 of a bottle every time I wash my hair, much to my mothers dismay as we really don't have a lot of money and with our economy it can get expensive.

I buy a very plain, unscented and basic one by the litre from a health-food shop, for AUD10 a litre, which is pretty cheap for conditioner. Why not see if you can find something similar?

juliaxena
March 30th, 2010, 08:18 AM
I was reading a magazine and it said to use no more than table spoon of conditioner, not even considering lenght. Table spoon? I use a handful and my hair is still quite short. How much conditioner do you use in one wash?

-j-
March 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Magazines say all kind of things about hair and skin care and cosmetics...

I use a 1/2 handful for my short hair but it took at least 1-2 handfuls when my hair was long. Of course this depends a little bit of the conditioner as well. Some conditioners just go with a lesser amount and some "vanish" into the hair, no matter how much you put.

marikamt
March 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I use a lot....... at least 2 handfuls for almost waist length, also, I CO, so I saturate the hair prior to shower, then use 2 handfuls in shower to 'wash', then I have another one I use after 'wash' to detangle.....

lillylonghair
March 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM
For me it depends. If I'm using something coney,I don't use too much. Although it probably is more than a tablespoon. If I'm Co-ing,then I'm using something non-coney,I can use quite bit. Maybe a good handful or two.

Magazines..... Jeez I just read an article that said to throw your makeup brushes in the dishwasher.

Hana
March 30th, 2010, 09:22 AM
about a 2 inch diameter circle of condish.
sometimes i'll use more, if my hairs thirsty it just sucks it all up and demands more, but thats been happening less and less with more regular oilings.

Hana
March 30th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Magazines..... Jeez I just read an article that said to throw your makeup brushes in the dishwasher.

erm - what? harsh chemicals for plates to wash delicate fibres for your face? nuh-uh.
i wash my make-up brushes under a tap with a weeny blob of shampoo. works wonders.

-j-
March 30th, 2010, 09:29 AM
OT

And I read one that said "if your foundation cream looks too yellow on your skin, it is just too light and you have to get a darker shade"(!!!). Sorry for the off topic, but you canīt definitely believe everything magazines say...

3azza
March 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I use at least two handfulls of conditioner, and i don't care for what the magazines say. My hair loves it and that is all that matters.

hmmm
March 30th, 2010, 10:16 AM
It depends on what kind of conditioner I'm using. I've found heavy ones to make my hair greasy. It also depends on how much oil I used before and what shampoo I washed it out with. I say go with whatever works for you, there's no standard for how much conditioner is 'correct' to use.

Forever_Sophie
March 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I heard someone on Oprah say something similar about shampoo (use a quarter size - :eek: - and just add water if it seems too little), and recall Rachael Ray saying she wishes they'd make shampoo bottles way bigger than conditioner because she uses soooo much and ends up with all this conditioner left over! :agape:

Anyway, I use at least 2 handfuls of conditioner. Cones and all LOL

kittensoupnrice
March 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I think it also has a lot to do with hair type.
I know that if I tried to use even a full handful, let alone TWO handfuls of conditioner, that my hair would be limp and lifeless until the next time I shampoo, regardless of how much I rinsed.

Nowadays, I just use a vinegar rinse and skip conditioner entirely.

ZaBasDa
March 30th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Most days I use 3-4 handfuls of conditioner and then a little bit more for a leave-in, but it just depends on the hair.

Kaijah
March 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM
One tablespoon? :laugh: :lol: :rollin: :spitting:Silly magazines.

I usually CWC, I use probably two large palmfuls for the first conditioner with a smidge of shampoo, and then three or so for the second time (varies on the thickness/richness of the conditioner). Then I use at least a tablespoon worth of conditioner/oil/shea butter as a leave in.

AJoifulNoise
March 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I probably use 3-4 tablespoons per wash.

Juliannaissance
March 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I use a big handful glob of Mane n' Tail Conditioner. Makes my hair way soft the day after! Really shiny too. :cheese: :bounce:

Aeren
March 30th, 2010, 12:37 PM
I use one tablespoon, BUT a very big one ;) and I use my home-made contioner. In comparison with commercial conditioner, mine is really heavier. When I was using commercial conditioner I nedded at least 2 tablespoons for shoulder lenght.

SimplyViki
March 30th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Hmm, I've no idea. I apply it about a tablespoon at a time... but I keep on applying it until my hair feels nice and slippery and saturated. :shrug: Could be anywhere from 1-3 palms full, I guess.

TXbarbie
March 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
When I went to a new salon last week, the girl used shampoo twice on my hair - and twice ran it through the length. She then barely used any conditioner and then told me how tangly my hair was.

Since I CO, I use maybe 5-6 handfuls of conditioner in total each time.

dollhouse
March 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I purchase the Suave Natural conditioners (Family size!!) and nearly use up 1/2 the bottle (5-6 tea spoons) with each CO wash. Then again my hair is coarse and unruly, and I need that much to tame it into shape. So I guess it does depend on hair type.

petitepraline
March 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I use about 1/4 of the bottle and I know thats alot but my hair likes it :D

Jeni
March 30th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I use at least 3 to 4 tablespoons of conditioner (each C).

I've heard the tablespoon amount of conditioner before and even when I had short hair I ignored it. My hair likes a lot of stuff, if I'm buying it I figure I can use as much as I want.

curlycrown
March 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I used to use about half a bottle of suave coconut and about 1/4 the bottle of Tresemme. I have really thick and curly hair so I have to saturate my hair in order to get enough slip to detangle.

Fractalsofhair
March 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
I've heard no more than a dime, but I use probably 2-3 palmfuls depending on the conditioner, and how dry my hair is. If I just clarified, I'll use more, if I'm CO washing, probably a bit less.

Carolyn
March 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Magazine article writers are generally full of it. They are getting paid to say something. The sad thing is people read these articles and think they have read "the word". They think it's all true if they read it somewhere :rolleyes: This is just another example of people need to learn to think for themselves and have a little common sense. If you know your hair needs more than 1T conditioner, use more. Simple, huh? :D There is so much BS out there.

I doubt the author of the article knows about CO washing so I'm assuming they are saying 1T conditioner after using shampoo. That would never work for me. My hair eats up conditioner. I'm going to guess that after washing with shampoo (when my hair wants more conditioner than after a CO wash) I'll use 2-3 handfulls of conditioner. I start at the roots and work it down adding more as I go. I make sure my hair is COATED with conditioner. Lots of conditioner makes my hair happy and I want happy hair.

shockinglength
March 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I use one tablespoon, BUT a very big one ;) and I use my home-made contioner. In comparison with commercial conditioner, mine is really heavier. When I was using commercial conditioner I nedded at least 2 tablespoons for shoulder lenght.

How do you make your conditioner?

sweet*things
March 30th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about starting a thread with this topic! I think I'm the weirdo using almost nothing. I only use about a teaspoon of conditioner, and I only use 2 or 3 drops of shampoo. It takes me FOREVER to get through a bottle of anything. I just don't need more than that to get through my waist length fine, straight hair.

Garnet66
March 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I CO so I usually use about 4 huge blobs, then I use a coney condish and use about two good handfuls for that. My hair loves cones and I'm happy to supply it with all it needs. Even when I had basically no hair I couldn't get away with only using 1 tbsp. Most magazine articles have no idea what's really best for hair.

naereid
March 31st, 2010, 01:49 AM
Rachael Ray saying she wishes they'd make shampoo bottles way bigger than conditioner because she uses soooo much and ends up with all this conditioner left over! :agape:
Before LHC that would ALWAYS happen to me too! :scared: Me and my mother would often complain to each other about that very thing. We would say they should make the condish bottles smaller, too. No wonder, because I used shampoo two times at every wash, and just a little bit of conditioner in the end...

Athena's Owl
March 31st, 2010, 02:32 AM
I would estimate that i use about 100 mL of conditioner a wash.

Note: That's the dose applied directly to my scalp for the CO wash, the dose saturated through the length for detangling, and the quantity I use as a leave-in.

Tomato
March 31st, 2010, 08:09 AM
One tablespoon????? :rollin:Sorry, but I consider this a very gross generalization.
It depends on the lenght and amount and thickness of your hair.
I wouldn't mind not having to use more, but 1 tablespoon just would not be enough.
Use as little as you must, just to carefully treat your hair.
Using not enough yields no results, induldging in conditioner orgies is money down the drain.

Locksmith
March 31st, 2010, 08:46 AM
I think I use about a handful in total, but it depends how thick the conditioner is. I have to use more if it's thin and runny.

ChrissieM
March 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM
a tablespoon would be about right for a bob or shoulder-length hair, for me. I typically only use conditioner from the ears down. I use a big handful to condition my nearly-waist length, fine 3" circ hair. Any leftover on my hands after I've saturated the length is smoothed over my root area and bangs.

habioku
March 31st, 2010, 09:36 AM
WOW...you use your conditioner handful-wise? :bigeyes: Most of the time I didn't use any conditioner, but when I use one, I take only about 1 tablespoon for my waist lenght hair. So for me the assertion is right :D (But I have the hunch, that I'm the only one :lol:)

BelleBot
March 31st, 2010, 05:42 PM
I use at most a small handful. It takes me forever to get through bottles of conditioner and even longer to get through shampoo bottles. However everyone in my family starts thinking I don't use my stuff so they use it all up instead, so frustrating. I've taken to hiding it now.
So a tablespoon is probably about right for my hair which is tailbone length, perhaps a little more if it's been dry or tangly.

FrannyG
March 31st, 2010, 05:57 PM
I CO, so I use a couple of handfuls at my current length. I used more when it was longer.

GlassEyes
March 31st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Depends.

I can get away with two quarter-ish sized dollops of GVP conditioning balm, and about the same for AOWC, but if it's something like Suave, I need a good handful or so.

Cleopatra18
March 31st, 2010, 06:48 PM
LOL!
one tablespoon? for real ? i fill my palm with conditioner like 2-4 times everytime.i dont know if it''s too much or wat but my hair is fine this way.

MissMandyElizab
March 31st, 2010, 07:17 PM
wow! I dont think that would work for me when I CO i use half a bottle ...when i use my shampoo bars none.

Verybadhairday
April 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
I use quite a lot, I use two handfuls roughly, and no shampoo

deko
April 1st, 2010, 12:50 PM
The only condish I use about one tabelspoon at the time is Aubrey Organics White Camellia. Every other brand is used by handfuls. Even if I don't CO.

teela1978
April 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Usually about 1/2 a handfull after shampooing... maybe 2-3 tablespoons? On my hair at shoulderlength 1-2 tbsp would be plenty.

Aeren
April 1st, 2010, 02:04 PM
How do you make your conditioner?

I'm not sure it's the right tread to speak about that, but I use BTMS, oils, glycerin and panthenol to do my conditioner :).

Islandgrrl
April 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
When I CO, I use a lot - I'd say a couple of handfuls. Certainly enough to get my hip length hair squishy with condish! :silly:

If I'm using something suitable for leaving IN my hair, probably less than a tablespoon and only on the length.

Magazines...right. "No matter what length your hair." Okay, so I would use the same amount of condish as a person with a pixie. Uh-huh. Sure I would.

IndigoAsh
April 1st, 2010, 04:23 PM
for a conditioner with cones i use about a half a cup and for conditioners with no cones i use like a cup or more.

aef231
April 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Not too much for me... Maybe a tablespoon when my hair is BSL or longer. My hair is super fine though, and kind of slippery, so I don't need a ton. Right now I use maybe 1-2 teaspoons of watered down conditioner for my shoulder-length hair (I only use it from the ears down).

geosangel
April 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I can easily use about 3/4 cup and my hair isn't that long yet, but I do CO washes.

Kristin
April 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Oh my...way too much! Probably 1-2 handfuls when I CWC, more when I CO.:o

curls2grow
April 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Total amount is about a palmful for me. My hair drinks conditioner so I need a lot.

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I CWC, but my first C at the moment is really thick and lovely - I use just enough to make the length slippery. I'm at tailbone, and thats only about less than half a handful. But with another conditioner I used to use 2 handfuls!

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I do not use that much conditioner. My hair tends to be on the greasier side so I only use conditioner on the ends of my hair.

JenniferNoel
October 12th, 2010, 01:13 PM
A lot. I condition the roots, lengths, and ends twice after every shampoo, with about a palm-full of conditioner, and let it sit each time for two minutes. Before every shampoo, I've usually had oil or some kind of herbal blend on my hair for several days.

Mangachan
October 12th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Wow, seeing how much you all use makes me feel like I need to use more. After I dc once a week, I use 2 handfuls to brush through my hair and leave in.

Henrietta
October 16th, 2010, 10:15 AM
All together, during every single washing, it would be a palm-ful I think. A lot of the first C in CWC and then some for the second C and also some spray condish... But less than half of a normal kitchen glass.

aenflex
October 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Wow - CO must be pretty awesome in order for people to take so much time, use so much product and so much work/waste. I've never dabbled in CO, and with all the bottles needed and the increased waste, I don't think I'll ever try. I can't imagine using palmful after palmful in one shower. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I've seen the CO hair and it's very lovely. But I'll stick with my twice weekly poo and quarter-size dab of conditioner. One bottle of conditioner lasts me months at the rate I use it.

Crackaleen
October 16th, 2010, 10:43 AM
I've been alternating between a variation of CWC (I call it CRC - condition - rinse (with ACV) - condition) and true CO. When I CWC/CRC I use a lot more conditioner than when I just CO. For the initial steps of both I use probably around two to four palm fulls of conditioner, depending on how much of my hair I'm washing and how dirty it is. If I'm CWCing, I rinse that out, do an ACV rinse, and then use another palm full of conditioner diluted with water.

lillithnight
October 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I've just started to do CWC recently and for me that means 1/4 bottle of a cheapie like the
VO5 to cowash and detangle, and half a palm applied after i use my shampoo bar. I use around a half palm maybe a little less for my leave in. I'm not sure how much that really is,but my thick hair is happy with a combined full palm of a good thick, but nottoo thick conditioner.

bluesnowflake
October 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I use approx. a palmful to condition and then a quarter-sized amount of leave-in on the ends. I couldn't get the tangles out or a nice texture using less conditioner, because my hair is a little rough naturally.

summergame
October 16th, 2010, 12:01 PM
A handful for the first C and a handful for the second C :)

jojo
October 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have wavy hair and I am using VO5 at the moment as I am skint! but I use probably the size of a tangerine every time, I through about a bottle every 2 weeks. A salon sized Tigi moisture manic is my normal brand and that lasts me a good 5 months. Now oil I go through a lot more!

anthonyswife
October 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I use between 2-3 handfuls total, maybe more if I have tangles. My hair just absorbs all of it. I use around 2 for the first part of my modified CWC, detangle, shampoo (I shampoo with the conditioner still in my hair), rinse, then put another handful in and let that sit for the rest of my shower, and then after I rinse if my hair has been dry I put about a silver dollar sized amount in as a leave-in.

RitaPG
October 16th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I've read Teri laFlesh's page, curls love contitioner huh? ^^

I use a handful of conditioner to comb the tangles in the shower, sometimes I add a bit more. Other than that I use one pea sized amount as a leave in to the ends when it's almost dry.
I use a drop on the ends every day as leave in, when I'm not in the mood to use coconut oil (too oily for winter time)

Loreley
October 16th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I usually S&C and I use more than a palmful. About one and a half. I need a ton because of the thickness. :p

triumphator!
October 16th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah I'm 19-20 inches and it seems like I use an impossibly large amount of conditioner too. I use a handful to CO the scalp and a handful to condition the length, plus a handful as a leave in. And a giant amount in SMTs.... :D

Scandinavian
October 16th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I use very little, else my hair just look awful. Mostly i just dont use any, cause it just makes my hair an awfull flat greasy stiff mess.
Now i have bought a leave in spray conditioner, i really hope that will help! Cause i want to use conditioner every wash.

Astarte_1980
October 17th, 2010, 05:43 AM
a lot like 2 hands

miss_giannina
October 17th, 2010, 06:41 PM
my hair is extremely dry and soaks everything up...i use a little over half a bottle ...which is why i cant buy expensive conditioners

lajsa
October 21st, 2010, 08:25 AM
I do CO, so I use quite a bit, but it depends on what kind of conditioner it is, and how easily it gets into the hair. My newest addition to the hair collection is some cheapo non-perfume-non-nothing condish, and it's really very slippery so it's easy to get into all parts of the hair = I can use less of it. I usually have about a handful for the scalp and the back of my head and a little less than that for the rest of the length. I only CO once since I don't have the money or time to use two conditioners... I reckon 'washing' with conditioner means I can use the same conditioner in the same application for both wash and conditioning. :p

Jezerellica
October 21st, 2010, 07:56 PM
Right now I CWC so quite a bit. A handful before wash and after. I have small hands though. I am finally out of high end so I am having fun trying different drug store kinds. It is fun! :D

Qwackie
October 21st, 2010, 08:03 PM
I use two bottles a month, I'll probably use like, four a month when my hair gets longer, though.

PiroskaCicu
October 21st, 2010, 08:17 PM
I use half a palmfull when I condition. I don't usually do CWC but once in a while I do, and then I use less conditioner.

baaaad_kitty
October 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
My hair eats conditioner.

BrightEyes7
October 25th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I use about 1 handful for the first C of my CWC. Then after shampooing I use about 2 handfuls.

But I don't go through 2 bottles a week. I wash every other day to every third day.... And I have a massive bottle o' conditioner from Costco!!

lara grace
October 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Wow I thought I used a lot. I only use a bit less than a palmful.

Intransigentia
October 25th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I dilute my conditioner about 50%, but then I just turn the bottle upside down over my head and squeeze. Probably a good 100 - 150mL.

ETA: In any case, depending how often I "wash" (CO) and whether I need to remove a heavy oiling or something, I'll go through a 800mL bottle of cheapie conditioner every two weeks or so.

Cheeks1206
October 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I use a large palm full of the garnier triple nourish to condition and then a quarter sized dollop as leave in. I've always thought I used an obscene amount of condish, but I guess I'm pretty normal!

XcaliburGirl
October 26th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I do several tablespoons of cheap conditioner diluted a little with water in my hand for my CO wash. Then I use a nickel- to quarter-sized amount of Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition for my second condition. If I want leave in, I use a small-pea-sized amount of GFTN or wipe off a little smidge from around the opening of the bottle.

If I'm doing a shampoo wash, it's a palmful of cheap conditioner on the head and a silver-dollar-sized amount of GFTN on the length.

Madora
October 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Tablespoon of the George Michael conditioner on the last 2 inches.

lpsqt60
October 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I use a lot too about 2 palmfuls and then several other products as leave-ins on top of the dollop of conditioner that I leave in already at the end of my shower.

AreWild
October 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I CO, but my preferred conditioner isn't cheap (Lily of the Desert Aloe 80 Organics) so I do what I can to mitigate the cost. My hair is dry to start with, so I can get away with washing somewhere between once a week and once every two weeks. I tend to do a deep treatment/modified SMT almost every time so I can dilute the conditioner. I use honey every time which I get inexpensively from an apiarist just a few blocks away. I also use aloe when I have it, a smidge of henna when I want to brighten up my color between actual treatments, cinnamon by the heaping spoonfuls because I love the smell, fresh yogurt (also local and cheap), and coconut milk. A 16oz bottle of conditioner lasts my husband and me three months or so.

pepperminttea
October 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I follow the CWC method. I use about half a palmful for the first 'C' and then two full palmfuls for the second. It's no wonder I go through so much conditioner, really. :rolleyes:

Wanderer09
October 27th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Around one or two palmfuls for every wash. It really depends on how thick the conditioner is, and how I'm washing my hair (S&C, CO, CWC, etc)

autumn_aqua
November 13th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I use 2- 3 palmfuls to CO wash- One palmful for the scalp, the rest for the length and ends. (till it's saturated.) I use Suave Naturals for the wash, then for the second C I alternate between a few favorites- and use about a palmful. I also use about 1/4 palmful of leave-in.

I've never really tracked my usage, but I do make it a point to pick up a bottle of Suave when I do my grocery shopping, usually every two weeks. I like to have plenty around so I don't run out! It's funny to contrast with my shampoo purchases- one small bottle of shampoo lasts MONTHS. :)

My hair is fairly curly, fine/medium, waist length.

Qadupae
November 15th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I use almost a palmful of condi every showering, but I dilute my condi so it lasts longer. My palmful is maybe almost 1/4 cup.

LouLaLa
November 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I stopped using it now my hair is no longer dyed. My hair dosent like it. I use a spray on one very occasionally, wierdly my hair is shinier an healthier than ever.

nb. I put honey on my very tips once every two weeks ish

feralnature
November 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM
2 big handfuls after shampooing. I slather, baby, slather. I soak all my hair in conditioner, except my head and scalp, and then wash my body, shave or whatever. Then I rinse the conditioner out, with cold water. I kinda leave a little bit in though, never completely getting all the conditioner out.

I use Suave Naturals Shampoo and Conditioner "Tropical Coconut" from the Dollar General and have used it for years. I get the other varieties when they are sold out of coconut. It costs 99 cents.

Lune d'Loup
December 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
People tell me it's too much but my hair needs at least half a normal bottle of Garnier Fructis oil repair condish to be able to detangle my hair. of course now that it is so short i just use enough to drench my hair. 1/4 bottle is enough, 4 hand fulls.

christine1989
December 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I use a small handful- just enough to cover all of my hair. I use a lot more though when I'm COing out oil.

ooo
December 12th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Everytime I need a good handfull for the c/o.

meggykins
December 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I just end up using small palmfulls of conditioner until it feels like my hair has been completely covered. (Usually ends up being 3 or 4 of those.)

miss_purple
December 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Now (healthy hair) I use about 2 palmful (1 before and 1 after shampooing).
Before trimming from BSL to APL (unhealthy ends) I used to use more Conditioner, triple quantity I would say. Thank God I trimmed it! My hair feels and looks much better. And I have more money in the pocket. :D

Kristin
December 13th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Way too much, probably. I use about 1-2 handfuls of my first CO conditioner (VO5) and then about half a handful to a whole handful of my second, heavier CO conditioner (Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition or Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat).

lapushka
December 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Depends on the conditioner. If it's coney, I tend to not need as much. If it's a regular conditioner like the GF triple nutrition, I'd say a small handful. :)

Fethenwen
December 13th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Interesting question, I use very little.
Sometimes none at all, I find the Indian herbs and oils to be conditioning enough. Sometimes I use a condish with wheat protein to give my hair more strength, about two teaspoons is enough. I just started using my Lush conditioner as a leave in, not sure if it makes a lot of difference, I put about half a teaspoon of it.

FarmGirl
December 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I wash once a week, and I use about one handful of undiluted Nature's Gate conditioner, starting at the end of my head (I make like I'm going to pull my hair back in a low ponytail, and that's where I start conditioning.) That's been working for me since I was 14 XD

I don't use any leave-in conditioner, as I find that it makes my hair feel sticky and I dont' think I really need it.

And, my hair is straight, rather thick, and hip length, if that makes a difference.

Wicked Princess
December 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'm happy to find this thread...I thought I was crazy for using a handful of conditioner during every wash despite the fact that I don't use the CO method!

Normally, I apply my conditioner to the ends, then slowly work my way up my hair, and apply any extras to the top of my scalp to help tame the frizzies (but I don't massage it into my scalp). Then I sit there and enjoy the water/finish washing/exfoliate for about ten minutes before rinsing it out. This tends to keep my hair plenty soft and relatively tangle free.

I do this roughly twice a week, and go through a "Family Sized" bottle of Suave every month. Thank goodness those bottles can be recycled!

Love23101
December 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I have SUPER curly hair, and I just use a little coconut oil to condition my hair. I use about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of coconut oil.

If you feel like you are using to much conditioner, deep condition with coconut oil. It's the best! And your hair will love it! (not to mention you skin too! I put it on my face and my face feels like a baby's butt!)

owlathena
December 15th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I use way too much! About a handful or so of expensive all natural, no cone, no sulfate conditioner. I condition my hair almost every day(I feel gross if I go a day without showering, but I only shampoo about twice a week).

kabelaced
December 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Two handfuls of V05 for the first C, and when I use my coney conditioner I use about a handful.

I actually just found that mixing my really thick coneless condish with the coney one helps it spread better, so does that make it technically four?

I'm still happy with the results :p

allurose
December 16th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm doing CWC right now, so I use a palmful for my length, half a palmful mixed in with my shampoo, and then at least another two palmfuls for the 2nd condition. Which, altogether, is about a million ounces it seems. I'm thinking about working out something other than CWC just for this reason. It uses SO MUCH!

myria
December 17th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I'm not too hard on conditioner.. a 600ml bottle lasts me a month and my 3mm lasts me about 6weeks.

girlthursday
December 17th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I use a lot of conditioner, probably much more than I need to. Every time I use conditioner I put about a silver dollar size dollop or more.

Jordan S.
December 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM
3 heaping handfuls. One handful for one side, another for the other, the third for my ends. lol. I have a problem.

LeahG
December 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I use a handful of vo5 for cowashing, and i often have to use more to get it all over my entire scalp or i get greasy spots. Then, i use another handful for my length. I go through 3-4 bottles of vo5 a month but its ok because its dirt cheap :) and since beginning CO 2 months ago and then CO without cones 1 month ago, my hair is like silk and so healthy, shiny and moisturized. My boyfriend keeps complimenting it:) love it!

Coan-Teen
December 18th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I use a full cupped handful, and my hair is barely brushing shoulder. I try not to think about how much I'll be using when I get closer to my goal. I only wash about three times a week. Sometimes two days in between, sometimes three, depending on whether I can get away with not washing. I'm slowly starting to stretch.

caadam
December 18th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I use... probably about a quarter cup
of conditioner every wash.
Not too much.

Anywhere
December 24th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I use a hefty handful as my CO, and a baby sized handful for my leave-in. Its a lot sure, but eh. My hair likes it and so I'm sticking to it.:p

Athena's Owl
December 24th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I CO wash with a couple of handfuls of conditioner (I do the wash routine twice.)

then I glop the combing conditioner on, you better believe it

my washing conditioner, i think I get 3 or 4 washes out of a bottle. combing conditioner is about the same. and then I add more for leave in.

liagibba
December 24th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I used 3 handfulls of conditioner (CO washing) and a bottle usually lasts me 3-4 weeks.

nellreno
December 24th, 2010, 08:58 PM
I use a few palmfuls to CO wash, and then maybe a palmful of something else for extra conditioning. This only happens about once or twice a week though.

Mirsha
December 25th, 2010, 01:51 AM
The length of my middle finger, which is about a coin sized amount if pooled together. That goes in the hair from the ear down and it's plenty, lol.

naturegirl321
December 25th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Not sure if this will help, but here they have refills of shampoo and conditioner. They don't come in bottles, but big sachets. That's what I buy, it sure cuts down on costs.

TheObscure
December 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM
If I had my way I could probably go through half a bottle a week... but I try to be conservative since I'm not the only one who uses it.

Snow White
December 27th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Once I got my hair hydrated I need less now. Maybe a palm full total (includes wash and leave-in). And I'm using them both diluted a bit.

Avvoltoio
December 27th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I am not using conditioner, i think my hair not need it or at least it not needed yet :)
btw my girlfriend use 200-300 ml in 2 weeks

indiana
December 27th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I use a HANDFUL each time I shampoo and then a little more on the ends after I rinse. Since I started being aware of taking care of it, my shampoo amount used has gone down in direct proportion to the uptick in conditioner amount used.

akuamoonmaui
December 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I use about 1/2 to a 3/4 palm full, depending on how much my hair needs it. I've started adding aloe juice to it (about 25%) to stretch it. My hair likes it and seems to lower the frizz factor.

Lianna
December 28th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I don't need conditioner every time I wash (sulfates), when I wear conditioner, which is about half the time, it's a ball with half inch circumference. Most times I don't use conditioner, I do a light oiling while damp. Only shoulder length now, so I'm sure I'll need more in the future. But I think it's because I use cones, no cones I used a palm full.

UltraBella
January 1st, 2011, 02:15 AM
I fill an 8oz cup with conditioner every time I shampoo my hair and I use every drop. A bottle of conditioner only lasts me through two washings. Ugh !!!!

Cowgirl16
January 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
I SMT 1-2 x per week so anywhere from 4-8oz a week. More if I've washed my hair that week. :shrug:

JuneBride
January 1st, 2011, 03:39 PM
I use at least an ounce every time I CO wash.

JuneBride
January 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
PS: I probably use more...but the reason I say an ounce is because I used a pack of Mega Moiusture today and it was a one ounce pack, I used every drop and probably would have used a little more if I had it. So bottomline...maybe 1.5 oz. each CO Wash ;)

Fufu
January 2nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
A coin sized amount..

CrystalStar
January 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
When I CO washed I counted for a bottle of conditioner lasting a week! Now that I shampoo and condition every 3 days rather than 2, I can count on a bottle lasting 3 months

tigr
February 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
After reading this thread, I realized that I've always used lots of shampoo (I love that "squeaky clean" feeling). But I'm quite stingy with conditioner. So I'm trying to be much more generous with conditioner now.

Yavene
February 28th, 2011, 09:24 PM
2 handfuls.

walterSCAN
February 28th, 2011, 11:12 PM
None, anymore. :D

I used to use about a half-handful, about 1/3 to 1/2 more than how much shampoo I used.

xoxophelia
February 28th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Wow I am surprised by how much some people use. To put it in perspective, I often use VO5 clarifying conditioner (it is pretty light and runny) and I only go through maybe a bottle every 6-8 months. It costs a dollar ^^

gthlvrmx
February 28th, 2011, 11:34 PM
thats is a lot of conditioner!! I don't even use that a bottle in one month, haven't yet since im afraid of over oily hair, though it may explain the dry ends sometimes. But hey as long as your hair is healthy :)

elbow chic
March 2nd, 2011, 10:32 AM
quite a lot if it's something thinner like a cheap suave conditioner. My hair's not even all that long but probably two palmfuls-- I use three times as much conditioner as shampoo.

leandrahime
March 5th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I also CWC, I use a palmful of VO5 or Suave, then a quarter-size dollop of poo, then a half-palmful of a richer condish. After my hair dries, I usually use a cone serum, but between washes, I oil.