PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* My hair is just so.... Fragile.

bahannas
June 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
... And I'm not quite sure if it's from past damage or of it's just my hair type. I've always had fine, thin, and straight hair, although this year it's gotten quite wurly (pretty sure it's those lovely teenage hormones).
I baby my hair, and yet I still hear snaps, crackles, and pops. When it's wet and I massage my scalp, I hear little popping noises around my roots. I *think* I have a lot of breakage, but the ends don't look damaged or tapered so it's hard to tell.
I'd really like to try henna/cassia in the future, but it's a pretty intense thing for me to jump into right now. Are there any other strengthening treatments that I can try? I'm pretty much open to anything. :P

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
You might try SMT and oiling.. if you really have a lot of breakage you might try regular trimmings (every 3 mos or so) just until you have the fuzzy icky ends off.. S&D helps too. There are tons of threads here about deep conditioning, protein treatments, and oiling.. I've mostly found though that the only way you can truly find what your hair loves/hates is trying them. Everyone's hair is different but we can all learn from eachother :)

What worked for me was joining the hair up for a month challenge, nightly oiling, sleeping on a satin pillow case (or using a satin sleep cap), and pretty much stop using any kind of heat tools on my hair. Good luck!! :)

bahannas
June 22nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Thank you for your support, Cherry Sprinkle!

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
My hair sounds like it's snapping even when no hairs are snapping. Sometimes hair just sounds like that. Check and see if hairs are breaking when you hear a snap. If it's a shed, the ends have a little white bulb on them(out of the scalp) generally, rather as if it's a snap, it will look similar on the ends as on the top. That being said, I have very damaged hair! If your hair looks healthy, feels healthy and doesn't seem to have breakage, I doubt it's much to worry about. Just keep on being fairly gentle and such and you'll be fine!

Deborah
June 23rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Your hair looks really lovely in your photo. I sure don't see thin or damaged hair there. I wonder if you are maybe just being a little hard on yourself. :flower:

bahannas
June 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Deborah, you're right about that! I'm always a bit too hard on myself. My hair really isn't that damaged, no splits or any of that. I think I just work myself up about the little things. :rolleyes:
And thank you for the complement, by the way!

Fractalsofhair, thanks for your support as well. :blossom:

RoseRedDead
June 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Maybe your hair is just dry, and the noise is magnified because of it? I know for one, that when my hair is dry it is NOISY.

BlndeInDisguise
June 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
I have the same problem, but my hair has gotten quite a lot better.

Have you done the "stretch test"? Take a shed hair from your hair (preferably wet) and wrap it around your index fingers so it doesn't slip and pull it gently. If it stretches and when you let up on the "pressure" it shrinks back like elastic, you're good to go. If it breaks right away, you need moisture. If it stretches, but stays all stretched out, you need protein.

It's possible you need either protein or moisture--or both. I know using protein has helped strengthen my hair.