PDA

View Full Version : 8 Hair Myths Debunked

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Here's an article that everyone should read. I'm sure many of you already know most of these tips, but everyone should be well versed in them.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/8-hair-myths-busted-471933/

Nitika
June 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for sharing the article. It's always good to review.

Natalia
June 21st, 2009, 07:27 PM
Hmmm my browser isnt working right now. i will hae to make sure im up to brush later

HeatherLarsen
June 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks LOL :)

Stubborn
June 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
what exactly should one apply after the cold water rinse to seal?

Locke
July 3rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone had more insight on what is said in there.

The part I'm mostly interested about is what they're saying about the ponytail. I'm not sure I get what they mean by "wearing a ponytail in the same place".

Coriander
July 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone had more insight on what is said in there.

The part I'm mostly interested about is what they're saying about the ponytail. I'm not sure I get what they mean by "wearing a ponytail in the same place".

Wearing a ponytail in the same place = if you always wear a high ponytail on the same spot on your head, or if you always have the tie on the same area of hair.
HTH :) (I'm guilty of doing this from time to time lol)

Bunnyhare
July 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
I always thought it was funny that people said getting hair trimmed makes it grow faster...and then they say "i don't know why my hair never grows past my ears":0) thanks for the link!

ZadenWillowfyre
July 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM
The only part that concerns me is this: "Make sure the cuticle remains flat by applying a deep conditioner or silicone-based product to seal it."
Cones' have been shown to weigh down hair and make it brittle. Most of us here seem to try and avoid it.

ericthegreat
July 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, someone actually revived my thread! I thought it was lost forever in LHC post heaven.

Locke
July 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Wearing a ponytail in the same place = if you always wear a high ponytail on the same spot on your head, or if you always have the tie on the same area of hair.
HTH :) (I'm guilty of doing this from time to time lol)

Hrm, this bothers me because until my hair is long enough, I don't have much choice when it comes to tying it, it must always be close to my neck (mostly because of the bangs that are still too short). And it says it cause permanent baldness? :/

WritingPrincess
July 3rd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey, they got 99% of that right! We must be influencing society! :tongue:

teela1978
July 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
The only part that concerns me is this: "Make sure the cuticle remains flat by applying a deep conditioner or silicone-based product to seal it."
Cones' have been shown to weigh down hair and make it brittle. Most of us here seem to try and avoid it.

Well that's not really true. Some people find that cones do a fabulous job of keeping moisture in, keeping hair easy to detangle, and keeping it really shiny.

Some people do find that cones don't work for their hair, but based on the overwhelming use in commercial beauty products I would say that they probably work well for the majority of the population.

teela1978
July 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Hrm, this bothers me because until my hair is long enough, I don't have much choice when it comes to tying it, it must always be close to my neck (mostly because of the bangs that are still too short). And it says it cause permanent baldness? :/

Unless you're doing a REALLY tight ponytail you shouldn't have a problem. To my understanding traction alopecia is usually seen with repeated hair extensions, which are tied in very very tight in the same spot.

thankyousir74
July 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Wow, someone actually revived my thread! I thought it was lost forever in LHC post heaven.

Haha, this actually made me giggle a bit, as I have had the same feeling (the whole LHC post heaven thing)

Yeah, the majority of the article was a given for LHCers but the traction alopecia caught my eye too... :took elastic off and keeps wishing that she could find a nice hairstick:

Coriander
July 3rd, 2009, 07:21 PM
I would think that as long as you don't have your ponytail so tight that it looks like you got a cheap hack-job facelift in the darkest, dimmest remotest regions of a back alley, then you should be okay. :p

RavennaNight
July 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Well that's not really true. Some people find that cones do a fabulous job of keeping moisture in, keeping hair easy to detangle, and keeping it really shiny.

Some people do find that cones don't work for their hair, but based on the overwhelming use in commercial beauty products I would say that they probably work well for the majority of the population.

:agree: Resident conehead raises hand and agrees. Moderation is key, don't over do the cones and clarify every once in a while and you will be fine. Also, cones are great for those who like hair down.:)
/end militant coneheadedness.

GlassEyes
July 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
This has been posted before.

Also, some of the article is crap; like the recommendation for dye.

GlassEyes
July 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Don't worry about it. Unless you're pulling a lot and it HURTS you won't notice it.

It's really reserved for the crydon facelift/things that chav's wear. Now if you're wearing it THAT tight, you'll have issues.

Locke
July 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the advices, at least I know now I'm not just accelerating my (maybe? who knows) baldness.

ILoveLongLocks
July 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
excellent information in there.

Vampire Girl 95
July 4th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Those are some really intresting tips. I could really use a few of those. I

ljkforu
July 5th, 2009, 12:36 AM
what exactly should one apply after the cold water rinse to seal?
I rinse my hip length straight hair with cool vit c (i.e. acid) water rinse and then cool water while gently stroking the hair with the cuticle then I throw a towel around it and let pressure take out the water.

I love cones, I have soft water and never get a build up. Every cones to his own :D (oh, the cones come before the rinse. I only use them when my hair tells me to otherwise I use V05. If my hair feels like straw I use cones. If it doesn't I don't.

I should probably note that I only use bar soap/shampoo on my hair, as many people feel that cones and bars are a disaster. (not for me)

Try stuff that is reasonable and keep what you like and through away the what you don't, or balance what you use for when you need it.