PDA

View Full Version : I could not believe my eyes

lil_irish_angel
June 21st, 2009, 05:14 PM
I went in for a 3 inch trim today and walked out with 6 inches :agape::mad:, which I showed the lady on the comb for my trim.. it was to be no more than 3 inches. I was at TB and NOW I am barely at WAIST:steam... I am so upset:pins::justy::angry:.... Yes I know there is nothing I can do about it.. I can barely get a chinese bun to stay now or any of the new buns I have been using for the last 6 months.:(:(:(:confused:

Has any one else had that problem

Bene
June 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
oh man, that bites the big one. did you ask her why she felt the need to take off so much?

Speckla
June 21st, 2009, 05:22 PM
Yes, I have. My hair has never been that long but I went in with BSL hair and came out with above the shoulders. :( And I mean above the shoulders curly where it was BLS curly before. I'm sorry that happened to you!

lil_irish_angel
June 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
She look gastly after I asked her what was she thinking. She said she cut what i asked her. I said I asked for 3 inches even though my hair did not need it. There was no reason why she need to cut it that much shorter than I showed her. My hair is my pride and is lovely, she even commented as to how soft and silkie and how healthy it was.

The manager just looked at me and stated " well Im sorry that happend. And that was it.

CindyLea1
June 21st, 2009, 06:02 PM
Check out my photos in my profile. You will see the big chop of '09

I agreed to let my sister trim up and even out the ENDS!! In one fell swoop she hacked off 15 and a half inches! I went from classic to bra strap. I'm here for you girl!!!

Themyst
June 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Every single time I used to go to the salon.

I stopped going many years ago - it seems they cannot help themselves.:(

Quixii
June 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
Wow! That's awful! I would have been so horrified.
I think long haired people need to make sure they go to long hair friendly trimmers, or trim themselves, because people seem to be too snip happy. =(

hennaphile
June 21st, 2009, 06:10 PM
@#$#@$#@$@#$

We really need an LHCF mob with torches and pitchforks to protect our members from such atrocity.

lora410
June 21st, 2009, 06:18 PM
The last time I went to a salon they hacked me from shoulder to 2". I went in there for a re-layering

hellkitty
June 21st, 2009, 06:31 PM
Aaaaand now you know why I never get my hair cut.

When I was in high school, I had waist length hair and I went in for a wee bitty trim. ONE INCH I told her. I held out a ruler to show her what an inch was. She does her thing (this is extra evil/upsetting because I'm terrifically nearsighted and didn't have my glasses on to see the slaughter earlier) and suddenly I notice she's cutting hair at about my boobs. Which back then were definitely above my waist.

When I not-so-politely inquired what the h*** she thought she was doing, she told me she was giving me 'layers, for volume'. And then looked at me as though I were stupid.

I did not ask for layers. I asked for a trim. Not butchery. I never wore my hair down and as many ladies here with 'layers' know, growing them out again can be a royal pain in the butt.

I was unhappy. I didn't pay for that trim.

Nor did I pay for the time the girl was cleaning up around my pixie cut with the razor, turned her head when someone called her name, and mowed across the front of my head.

That was the final straw. No more professionals for me, thank you.

My mom can't even be trusted--last year I told her she could trim off two inches. She took five. Her excuse? She didn't like my fairy-tale hemline.

Yeah, I've learned this lesson--three times it took me, but I learned. No one touches my hair with scissors but me. I don't care if the ends look ratty. I don't care about volume, or style or my hemline.

I just don't ever want to cry after a haircut again (and oh, yes, with the pixie disaster, I cried. For an hour!).

Hugs. I can only tell you that they do their worst, but your hair will triumph over all of them!

HK

Addy
June 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
OMG! BTDT and soaked the t-shirt in tears! :wail:

The last time it happened was in Aug 07' and I am finally getting to where I was before that disasterous day with many trims to get rid of the layers. That stylist hacked my hair from BSL to above my shoulders with layers that hit the tips of my ears. All I'll say is never again!

I'd be beyond pissed... :mad: infact, I was. If I didn't have kids to care for and could spare an assult charge, that girl wouldn't have hair! :scissors:

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
THAT is exactly the reason I don't leave my stylist.. :/ I'm soooo afraid of this happening. I've asked for a trim and ended up with more than 3" hacked before.. I'd be fuming if I walked out 6" shorter though!

my current knows my growing goals and advises a trim every now and again when she sees breakage.. since I chemically dye my hair I let her trim a couple times a year.. but she knows I am trying to reach classic length and supports me.. I've even gushed about this place to her.. Dunno if she joined but if she did, Annie I love you!!

Longlocks3
June 21st, 2009, 07:33 PM
@#$#@$#@$@#$

We really need an LHCF mob with torches and pitchforks to protect our members from such atrocity.

I can just see it now, we will go to a salon as a group. A minimum of 5 members must be watching during the cut. If the stylist tries to go shorter, we attack! :p

Honestly, I've never had a horrible trim like this! I would flip out on her, your a much more levelheaded person than I!

Natalia
June 21st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Wow im so sorry that happened to you :grouphug: . I think some hairdressers think when you say 3 inches you mean 3 inches over what they deem as "bad" hair. I have only let 2 hairdressers touch my hair since i was a kid and some random hairdresser chopped my the probably BSL (haha funny to say about a 7 - 8 year old) to up above shoulder when i had been dragged in for a tiny trim only to even up my ends. I left screaming and crying and it took me till i was i think 17 to try again. My luck she did a great job but moved across country like 3 months after my first cut :rolleyes: . In between that time i had family cut it (ok one was finishing beauty school at the time but she is still family :p ). I also let one other hairdresser do it she did a good job on the bangs usually and my face framing layers but she wouldnt listen to me so i quit going to her. Now i just have my mom trim it when i need to. I want to learn to self trim but i want my hair to be in a nice hemline first so i have something to go by. I dont want to trim for a while since im losing so much hair shedding :( . If ic ant have thickness i will keep my length as long as i can. Im still very far away from my goal

HeatherLarsen
June 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
I am so sorry. Feel better :(

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Yup, I had waist length asked for a couple inches off and walked out with shoulder length!!!!! I was all quiet and polite and gave a tip! Meh, if I could do it over I certainly would have said something and I DEFINITELY wouldn't have paid for it!! :rant:

Charlotte
June 21st, 2009, 08:42 PM
As I read these comments, my mouth is open wide in shock and horror! :blueeek: Why do some hairdressers do these things? Maybe they're jealous???

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
That's just rotten. I always show my hairdresser exactly how much to trim and then, make her show me how much she is going to trim. It's worked for me. Past experience tells me that some stylists are just scissor happy. I wonder if some keep chopping to "fix" mistakes they've made.

So sorry you had such a lousy experience.

smerrie
June 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
UGH how terrible!
I had a similar experience once, I had taken FOREVER to grow out texturized layers - and finally had all of my hair to one solid length. I went back in to get some regular layers (to a new hairstylist) and she cut loads off - and then whips out the texturizing scissors and starts snipping all over before I even had a chance to tell her no! I'm still growing that one out.. :(

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
This is why I adamantly REFUSE TO GO TO any other salon that my mother or any well meaning acquaintances refer me to. The salon that I have currently been going to religiously for the past 2 and an half years is called the Paul Hair Salon right here in Brooklyn, and they never force you to do anything that you yourself would never consider doing. This salon is one of those rare places that actually asks YOU what YOU want, unlike those pompous, high and mighty salons that tell you "need layers and bangs and ohhh highlights would make you look much better looking instead of that awful dark color you have now". I haven't once been scolded into getting a trim, Lily my trusted stylist can intuit that when I feel ready for one I'll let her know. I go in there for the Nigelle LX intensive deep treatment every 6 to 8 weeks(do try it if the salon in your area does this treatment, its heavenly on your locks!), and for a professional pin straight blowout since at home I almost always let my hair airdry and every needs to pretty themselves up for a change!

Sarah4983
June 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM
I wonder if some keep chopping to "fix" mistakes they've made.

That was my guess, psvzum!! haha I was going to post that as a joke, but honestly, it could be an issue I'm sure... if they were trying to trim it straight, oops, that sides a little too long, then a little shorter.... before you know it you've lost 6 inches :(

BlackfootHair
June 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM
I had a stylist continue to cut my hair in the exact opposite way I asked. Until my hair was way shorter than I wanted. UGH. What is so frigin difficult about "blunt ends, layered to flip under". I mean, it's not like I said it in Spanish. I'm not sure I'd know how to say it in Spanish. I could get my point across though, if I wanted to though. lol

Nyghtingale
June 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I am so sorry that happened to you. Last time I went in for a trim, they took about 7" off. I was so upset. The hairstyler actually walked off halfway though the cut. That was when I realized something was wrong.

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Oh and lil irish angel, if that had been me I would have refused to pay the full price of the haircut. I definitely WOULDN'T have tipped the stylist I can tell you that much, and I would have a firm talking to with the manager that one of his/her stylists is incompetent and doesn't know how to treat their client right. I follow the age old motto that the customer is always right, if I only want a dusting then you will greet me with a smile and do exactly what I AM PAYING for you to do. Don't BS me with "ohh you would look much better with layers to frame your face" or the "your ends were so damaged that I just had to shear off the last 6 inches". You want a loyal client, then you have to pay attention and give me exactly what I want.

I'm sorry you became another hair horror story, for the time being I would recommend that you do S&D yourself and next time do thorough research about the next salon you want to try, make sure their stylists are long hair supporters and not sadistic scissor freaks.

vindo
June 21st, 2009, 09:30 PM
I am sorry that happened to you! I would file a complaint..definetly!

The most I ever had "chopped" was 2 1/2 " instead 1"..

Check out my photos in my profile. You will see the big chop of '09

I agreed to let my sister trim up and even out the ENDS!! In one fell swoop she hacked off 15 and a half inches! I went from classic to bra strap. I'm here for you girl!!!

Wow...why would a sister do such a thing...:rolleyes:

As I read these comments, my mouth is open wide in shock and horror! :blueeek: Why do some hairdressers do these things? Maybe they're jealous???

I think jealousy is a possibility..or they think they know whats better for you.

This is why I adamantly REFUSE TO GO TO any other salon that my mother or any well meaning acquaintances refer me to. The salon that I have currently been going to religiously for the past 2 and an half years is called the Paul Hair Salon right here in Brooklyn, and they never force you to do anything that you yourself would never consider doing. This salon is one of those rare places that actually asks YOU what YOU want, unlike those pompous, high and mighty salons that tell you "need layers and bangs and ohhh highlights would make you look much better looking instead of that awful dark color you have now". I haven't once been scolded into getting a trim, Lily my trusted stylist can intuit that when I feel ready for one I'll let her know. I go in there for the Nigelle LX intensive deep treatment every 6 to 8 weeks(do try it if the salon in your area does this treatment, its heavenly on your locks!), and for a professional pin straight blowout since at home I almost always let my hair airdry and every needs to pretty themselves up for a change!

Sounds like a good place..if I ever need a stylist again..^^..
But so far I have been fine trimming myself.

That was my guess, psvzum!! haha I was going to post that as a joke, but honestly, it could be an issue I'm sure... if they were trying to trim it straight, oops, that sides a little too long, then a little shorter.... before you know it you've lost 6 inches :(

That really does happen, I have worked in a salon as a teen..:o

Darkhorse1
June 21st, 2009, 10:06 PM
I think everyone has had this happen. I had this happen to me when I was growing it long as a kid. In Gr 6, I had it almost to waist, then a hair dresser's version of a 'trim' was to cut off at least 2 inches, leaving me at bra strap length. I cried after and said I was NEVER going to a hair dresser again. Thankfully, my hair grew fast. By Grade 7, it was back to waist and by Gr 9, it was tailbone. I only let my father 'neaten' my ends/micro trim for me, but that was it. My next trauma was I was growing out sun-in/lemon juice coloring so I went back to waist/midback and I went for a trim and they cut it to my shoulders. I cried and hated how I looked for years. I vowed to NEVER trust a hair dresser again. Once it got to midback, I got it trimmed and was VERY specific to the ladies who did it. They totally understood. I then found a hair dresser with long hair. :D

She has a comb marked on how to trim long hair so I don't get more cut than I want.

I would have told the manager I was not paying for something that was done wrong.

Hugs!!!!

RancheroTheBee
June 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
That's completely horrifying. I can't understand why she would do that at all.

I've only had one bad salon experience; the rest have done exactly what I asked, one even giving me helpful advice on how to grow out hair properly.

I'm really sorry that happened. Is it part of a chain at all? Perhaps you could complain higher up.

Bene
June 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
i've only had chop-happy stylists when i was younger and my mom would take me to the salon. since i was a kid, no one would listen to me when i said, "just half an inch"

that doesn't happen to me anymore. i make a point of coming into the salon with freshly washed hair, still wet, i talk to the stylist before i sit down. i say "half an inch, no layers, no blow drying", and i keep saying "half an inch" and showing that amount with my fingers. i've gone so far as to hold my ends up and show what half an inch is, this continues until the the stylist agrees "ok, ok, half an inch!"

and then i watch them like a hawk through the mirror. and i ask to see what they snip off the first cut, they know i mean business.

Themyst
June 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
I never complained when this happened to me - except for look obviously disappointed - what can they do? It's not like giving me my $20 or whatever back is going to cure it. Hair extensions, maybe? I guess that's about all they could do to get your length back ... but they're not going to foot the bill for that, surely.

Perhaps finding out why this seems to happen so often would lead to a better solution. Do the hairdressers just think people don't care about their length? Are they taught that they know best and should just cut hair the way they think it should be? Could it all just be chocked up to mass incredible misunderstandings? :hmm:

C_Bookworm
June 22nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
@#$#@$#@$@#$

I love your idea! I can think of a few makeover shows to visit while we're at it...

spidermom
June 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM

Yes - like anything else, some stylists are very bad at what they do. My DD had to jump out of a chair mid-cut once because the stylist started cutting layers with the scissors held horizontal. She was making DD's hair look like roof shingles! But she kept saying "oh, don't worry, I can fix this." Thank goodness DD was so assertive that there was enough hair left to cut/style at a different salon. (PS - no, we didn't pay.)

hennaphile
June 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM
I love your idea! I can think of a few makeover shows to visit while we're at it...

YES! :patrol:

Oh did you see that beautiful woman with that to-die-for knee length hair hacked off??? :agape:

Sure it looked good after, but the implicit assumption that having long hair is bad STANK.

So many people would KILL to have those gorgeous locks.

We should do our own makeovers... where you get LONG hair :eyebrows:

WavyGirl
June 22nd, 2009, 01:57 AM
@#$#@$#@$@#$

LOL. I'll bring a ruler and magnifying glass in case they say they can't see the tiny gradients we're pointing out. Oh, and one of those big sponge hammers so I can beat them with impunity if they get snippy. (pun intended ;))

It sounds funny, but maybe taking a friend with you the first time wouldn't be such a bad idea. Especially if you can't see what's happening in the mirror without specs. I have had this happen before and you have my sympathy. My usual hairdresser commented the last time she trimmed my hair that what she'd really like to do is cut it back to my shoulders. I told her in no uncertain terms that she'd lose a customer for sure if she took off more than half an inch. She managed to restrain herself, but now I'm thinking I might need to get me a new stylist anyway.

longhairedfairy
June 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
This is why I only trust my mother to trim my hair.

rach
June 22nd, 2009, 04:47 AM
:angry: why , why, why do they feel they have the right to do this?

:grouphug: you poor thing

plan of action for future either get scissors or take this plan of action

I can just see it now, we will go to a salon as a group. A minimum of 5 members must be watching during the cut. If the stylist tries to go shorter, we attack! :p

or you could walk back and give her a peter gabriel , that'll teach her a lesson she won't forget- ;)
http://www.sapere.it/tc/img/Musica/Grandi_del_rock/Peter_Gabriel/gabriel_genesis.jpg

drquartz1970
June 22nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
Sorry to hear all these sob stories of haircut overkills occuring. It happened to me once where I got more then what I asked for cut when I only wanted a dusting. The hairstylist wore short bobbed hair.

Next time I visited the same Salon I only allowed one of the other staff there who had waist-length hair anywhere near me. After explaining to her how disappointed I was last time and how I didn't want a repeat she actually only trimmed it very slightly to get rid of split ends.

So on an instinctive level try to only have a hair dresser with long hair themselves to trim your hair as they obviously understand what it is like to want & value having long hair if they have it themselves. :eyebrows:

Savvyhorsez
June 22nd, 2009, 05:13 AM
Since situations I've been in as well as most of you, and situations such as this that I've heard of, I trim my own hair. I Will Not let anyone go near my hair unless it's to touch it. I don't even let anyone braid my hair unless it's someone I trust. Paranoid I know.:rolleyes:

SHELIAANN1969
June 22nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
I haven't read all the replies, but first off :grouphug:

Second, I would try to find a friend or family member to assist you with micro trims, the more they assist you, the better they become at micro trimming. :D

You can also do a self trim, nothing you do to yourself could *measure up* to the six inches that were lost, there is no way that you would trim that much, it's a win win situation for you if you self trim or have a friend help.

I know it sucks, I know you are completely bummed, just keep all this in mind for the next time that you need a trim.

Fethenwen
June 22nd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Wow, this still really amazes me. Why the heck do they do these things?? Is it just because they screw it up and need to take more length to make the hem more even, or is it because they think they know better and chops off more hair than what was asked :confused:

I've never had a really bad saloon experience, most hairdressers I've been too when I had long hair, were careful with it and asked me to be specific on how much I wanted cut off.
Last time when I went in and wanted my long hair cut off to a short hairdo, the hairdresser even wanted to make sure I was serious about it :p
The only times when I have had somewhat bad experiences were those times when I was not really sure what I wanted and did not explain clearly on what I meant, but I never went home crying. It is only now I have started to care about my length, I surely would be devastated if someone would cut off 6" now :mad:!

rovylern
June 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hugs to everyone who has had horrible chops! The last time I went in for a trim at a salon was awful, too...growing out a complete shave left me with an awful mullet-y looking thing and I told them I was trying to grow it long again. The shortest layer was just below chin length, except my bangs, and the longest was shoulder-length. I wound up with a choppy layered bob thing where the longest layer was mid-ear. I haven't been back since, I just trim it myself.

LaurelSpring
June 22nd, 2009, 10:28 AM

Honestly, I've never had a horrible trim like this! I would flip out on her, your a much more levelheaded person than I!

Actually this is probably a good idea! Take someone to literally watch your back. I quit going to salons just for the reason you mentioned. They always seem to decide to do whatever they want to do.

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Oh gosh sorry that happened to you! At least hair grows, and you know not to go back! I think the worst that I had was when I was a child, and I went in for one of my first haircuts(I must have been 4-5ish? Maybe younger?), and the stylist had broken up with his boyfriend, the owner of the salon. He seemed sad, but we didn't find this out until later, when the owner explained to us. I ended up with a bowl cut... A bowl cut on a young female just looks awkward! My mother got comments asking her why she was letting her son wear a dress and play with barbies... Of course, one time my boyfriend let his mother cut his hair when she was a tad tipsy(With family, after a party). He ended up with a very odd layered cut. He has extremely curly hair, so it looked sorta mangy... XD It's hard to find a good stylist, but I hope there are some out there. I tend to get pressured into high lights since a lot of stylists seem to think silvery blonde hair isn't exactly the best color, and I need to warm it up... Not quite, since I look bad with high lights! XD

BTW, does anyone find it amusing the ad is for laser hair removal? I don't want my scalp hair lasered, and I doubt anyone here would! XD

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
True, no matter what you ask for, they do what they want and then seem insulted if you have a fit.

young&reckless
June 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
:couch: I am so glad I read this after my cut last week and not before. I would be so paranoid.

I am so sorry this happened, I have been there as well. One time I went in for a 3 or 4 inch trim (to remove layers) and got and 8 inch trim and more layers!

I go to a trusted salon where I know and like all the hairdressors and still I am for ever vigilant. On the bright side my cut turns out great. I hope you can find a trusted person near you so you never have to relive this.:cookie:

Pixna
June 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
What a dreadful experience!!! :blueeek: Many, many years ago, when my hair was short, I went to this fellow who seemed to be okay, although I think he occasionally drank or used drugs (he seemed high during some of my appointments). One time, instead of trimming my hair, he trimmed my EAR -- cut the top of it right off! I ran out of there holding my ear, bleeding -- and he actually had the gall to ask me to pay (I did not!!). (And I ended up needing stitches.)

I think most of us have had at least one horrific salon experience . . . unfortunately. My first line of defense was learning to trim my hair myself (when it got long enough to do so). If you are not able to to that for some reason, I would suggest taking a trusted friend (or two) as an advocate. There will be less likelihood of a slip-up if someone else has her/his eagle eyes on the stylist the entire time!!

:grouphug: Hugs to you and all of us who have had similar nightmares come true!!

Krystyle
June 22nd, 2009, 11:35 AM
Nor did I pay for the time the girl was cleaning up around my pixie cut with the razor, turned her head when someone called her name, and mowed across the front of my head.

OMG, that reeeeeeally bites! I can't even imagine but if that were me, that stylist would have had way more to worry about than me not paying. Geesh. I hope you ripped her a new one!

Krystyle
June 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I went in for a 3 inch trim today and walked out with 6 inches :agape::mad:, which I showed the lady on the comb for my trim..

I am so sorry this happened to you! I can't believe that somebody would take such liberty with somebody else's hair. I agree with some of the other long hairs, we should go as a group and pounce at even the slightest deviation from a request.

Krystyle
June 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
A stylist that I so loved did this to me once. I'd been going to her for maybe five years. I'd gotten two dramatic cuts (the Halle Berry look) done by her before so maybe she thought she knew what I wanted. Well, my hair had grown out to maybe bsl and I was in a pageant and wanted a slight trim. She cut my hair to above my shoulders. I was stunned.

saviniris
June 22nd, 2009, 02:33 PM
I have similar story to pretty much everyone else. Two days before my wedding (I know I should have NEVER had my hair cut that close to the day) I had between APL and BSL hair and just needed a trim (1/2" at the most) just to clean up the hem line. I walked away with layers, the longest being shoulder length! Thankfully I was wearing my hair up anyways and was able to hide what he had done in a twist but here I am almost 8 months later and I am finally back to BSL (and layers that I am trying to figure out what to do with!).

I didn't even know what to say. I thanked him for the cut, paid and left. Now, I have pretty much sworn off salons for life!

Heidi_234
June 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry that happened to you.
I was growing from APL to midback for 10 years because hairstylists never cut 'just the ends' and not even 'just 1 inch".
You hair is long enough, my suggestion is to buy good hair scissors, and start employing Feye's self trimming method. It works great, and unless you want to, the length of your hair would be spared from being cut. You're the No.1 person to trust hair scissors to, when it comes to your hair.

Bunnyhare
June 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
@#$#@$#@$@#$

YES!!
I never went for a trim and got what I wanted, NEVER! so i quit!! my husband has trimmed if i need it..i have that TONSURPHOBIA they were talking about in another thread..fear of haircuts! They never do 1 inch, it's like they see a blank canvas(our hair) and cannot resisit, out of sheer petulance or stupidity it takes years off of us! AAARRGGHH
I SO feel for you, Love to youshudder::rant::draw::trainwreck::grouphug:

Armelle
June 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
The last time I went for a trim, the stylist pawed through my hair saying I should cut it off and donate it to Locks of Love so they could make "at least two wigs" out of it. :confused: Yikes! I've not gone back needless to say. Perhaps the LHC needs signs for members to give to "safe" stylists. "Long Hair friendly Stylist" or something like that. :)

Armelle

MsBubbles
June 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Aaaaand now you know why I never get my hair cut. When I was in high school, I had waist length hair and I went in for a wee bitty trim. ONE INCH I told her. I held out a ruler to show her what an inch was. She does her thing (this is extra evil/upsetting because I'm terrifically nearsighted and didn't have my glasses on to see the slaughter earlier) and suddenly I notice she's cutting hair at about my boobs. Which back then were definitely above my waist.
HK

ok Hellkitty:
:henny::lol::rolling::bigtongue::laugh::laugh:

OMG! BTDT and soaked the t-shirt in tears!

Ahah, now I just learned that this means been there done that. I'm such an old fuddy-duddy.

I'm so sorry for your hair salon woes, lil irish angel.

Self-trims are it, for me.

jera
June 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Hugs. It's nightmare stories like this that keep me out of salons.

adventuring
June 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
You guys need to find better hairdressers. The standard comb they use has a ruler on it.

JKRBeloved
June 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Lil Irish Angel, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and also for you all with stories told here of a similar nature. Most of us at LHC are deeply committed to our hair as an intrinsic part of who we are... some people just see it as a growth that will grow back. It's hard to understand why some hair dressers will not respect their clients' wishes. This is such a personal thing, and you would think that hair professionals above all others would understand that. I have personally had good, sensitive treatment from most of the people who have helped me care for my hair.

lundmir
June 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
I haven't been to a hairstylist since I was about 9 years old, except for a trip to Italy when my aunt paid for a cut since my hair got really damaged because of the sun and sea. I hated it!
I can't ever recall a time I liked having something done to my hair, I was never satisfied with the results. I only trust myself (and my mother when she helps me with my roots) when it comes to my tresses.

I actually learned to cut it myself and I'm happy with my skills, and I used to change my look whenever I got bored with it. But I miss long hair, so here I am, happy with just keeping it pretty and healthy.

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'm so sorry that happened. What is with these overzealous hairdressers? I am so lucky that mine is respectful of long hair and cuts off only as much as I tell her--no more, no less. Still, as awesome as she is about that I plan to learn to trim my own hair once I get to my goal length and get rid of my layers. Mainly as a money saver, but also in case I have to move out of the area--I don't want to risk a scissor-happy hairdresser!

Again, I'm sorry to hear that--I wouldn't have paid her.

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Thanks all for the hugs and love... I really am truely upset.. I had the perfect hem line of a blunt cut that one could have full ends and a few split ends.. Not to mention how well she made mention 3 times on the comb what I wanted.. I used to have a riend trim my hair but since she broke her shoulder it leaves to find someone else. But after this I will have to try and trim myself.. So for 6 inches it will take me 8 months to grow back and I was almost at my length I wanted of 38 inches..

Hubby was so caring when I got home yesterday and he kissed my hair for me and said if he could cut a start line he would have trimmed it for me. He knows ho wmuch my hair means to me and how much he loves it too.

Why do Hairdressers think that one with long hair should always be shorter or layered or worse yet donate it.

I would have loved to grab a electric razor and shave her head along with all the other hair dressers including the manager.

I think it would be fun to have a group of other long hairs go with to punce on them if they cut more..

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 06:23 PM

I love the way you think

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
I posted a Current pic of what it looks like now compared to my TB Length I had yesterday Morning.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1685&pictureid=35138

And this is what I have now
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=1685&pictureid=42619

Big difference Hubby says he thinks it was more than 6 inches:poot:

MsBubbles
June 22nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
You guys need to find better hairdressers. The standard comb they use has a ruler on it.

Well if only it were that simple. There may be a gifted, careful stylist just starting out at the local Great Clips, or there maybe a frustrated hair artist at an expensive salon, wanting to create something wild to feel better about him or herself. I dunno. I've had at least 20 different professionals in three or four different countries attempt to cut my hair, and I'd say only one of them ever helped me grow it by giving me minimal trims. So Mandy from the Milton Keynes Dickens & Jones hair salon back in the 80s, if you're reading this - THANK YOU :D

coolbreeze212
June 22nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Oh my .... I've been there. It sucks so much.

Years ago, my hair was in a shoulder length bob and I went to have a *trim*. I made it very clear that I only wanted a tiny trim. Well, when I left the salon my hair was barely 3" in length all around. I cried all the way home. When I got home my husband went through the roof. He thought I'd decided on a new style until he realized that my eyes were swollen and tear-stained.

Maybe you'll be blessed with a growth spurt?! :pray:

windinherhair
June 22nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I went in for a 3 inch trim today and walked out with 6 inches , which I showed the lady on the comb for my trim.. it was to be no more than 3 inches. I was at TB and NOW I am barely at WAIST... I am so upset.... Yes I know there is nothing I can do about it.. I can barely get a chinese bun to stay now or any of the new buns I have been using for the last 6 months.

Has any one else had that problem

Ooooohhhh, I would be so upset! I feel your pain. :( Did you talk with the manager? Hopefully there won't be another unfortunate customer.

I don't think I have ever had that problem but then again, I had never really checked that close before but I know I would notice 6 inches! I have decided not to trim my hair and only do S&D's for a while. I usually have always went for a trim every 3 months and my hair has never gotten past a certain length. (So I can't think of any other reason why it hasn't grown besides I need to stop cutting it!)

Dementia1013
June 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
This happened to me as well. I'm so sorry. I was at TB as well when I went in for a light trim and ended up 5" shorter. :(

windinherhair
June 22nd, 2009, 07:29 PM
[/quote]

The manager just looked at me and stated " well Im sorry that happend. And that was it.[/quote]

I would definitely never got back there... :disgust:

jahof45
June 22nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
lil irish angel, I'm so sorry to hear what you went through! I hate when stylist get chatty. I just don't feel like they are paying attention to the scissor end of their arm. I haven't been to a salon in 5 years.

jahof45
June 22nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I posted a Current pic of what it looks like now compared to my TB Length I had yesterday Morning.

Big difference Hubby says he thinks it was more than 6 inches:poot:

OMG!!!! Even my hubby is sorry this happened to you. You have gorgeous hair.

diginado
June 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
My DD trims my hair (if you don't have one, find someone you kind of trust a lot!!! I trim hers, too). But I stand sideways on a stool in front of the bathroom mirror, so I can see the bottom of my hair and she has to do a practice run with her fingers, snipping away. When she has what I want to snip off, she can use the scissors. Just an 1/2 to 3/4 inch every couple months, but she is getting very good at it! Little bit means little bit. And then we trade places.
You might be able to do this at a salon if you explain your bad experience, and very understandable mistrust! They have stools somewhere I am sure.

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
OMG!!!! Even my hubby is sorry this happened to you. You have gorgeous hair.

Thanks for the kind words

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
The manager just looked at me and stated " well Im sorry that happend. And that was it.[/quote]

I would definitely never got back there... :disgust:[/QUOTE]

Thats an understatement ......

lil_irish_angel
June 22nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe you'll be blessed with a growth spurt?! :pray:

I do pray I hope so...

Moldilocks
June 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Well, I have been inspired. I just did a micro-trim, because I've been due for a trim, and my hair dresser was great with short hair, but he is horribly rough with long hair. I think he secretly hates long hair. I'd like a hair dresser with long hair, but I don't know how to go about finding one. Should I just call and ask about hair length of the stylists, or should I go and scope them out?

feralnature
June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
I notice she's cutting hair at about my boobs. Which back then were definitely above my waist.

way too funny :)

Cassi
June 23rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
I totally have tonsurphobia now!!!!!! :scissors::scared:

Aditi
June 23rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
I feel your pain dear as the same thing happened to me yesterday. I asked my stylist for a microtrim but she took off a major portion, my hair were at waist length and now she left me back to the place where i started from little above BS :(. And to think i was so excited that i would reach my goal length hip till my birthday but now :cry:.

hanne jensen
June 23rd, 2009, 02:42 AM
In January this year I started seriously growing out my hair. I went to the hair salon and requested a 1 centimeter trim. She took 5... That was the last time I ever entered a salon. I bought a pair of hair scissors and asked my DH to dust my head. He is very good at it, and is terrified of taking more than 1/2 centimeter.
My advice is find someone you can trust and ask them if they will dust your hair. Or, you can do it yourself. Never trust a stylist!!!

hennaphile
June 23rd, 2009, 03:18 AM
I really want to start a long hair care/natural hair salon. Anyone who did this would be fired on the spot to prevent this type of horror from happening.

:grouphug:

Isilme
June 23rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
oh, I'm sorry. And the manager's reaction was very weird. I hope you didn't pay? Never ever pay for a servce you aren't happy with.

Amoretti
June 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
How awful. :( I wonder why on earth they do that. It really puzzles me.

Alia
June 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
What is wrong with these stylists?! Don't they realize they are literally scaring their customers away? :hatchet: How would they feel if we ripped their heels of their shoes, 'cause we just know that is what is best for them...and it satisfied our creative urges?

SHELIAANN1969
June 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
What is wrong with these stylists?! Don't they realize they are literally scaring their customers away? :hatchet: How would they feel if we ripped their heels of their shoes, 'cause we just know that is what is best for them...and it satisfied our creative urges?

Ok, now THAT made me snicker!

I really honestly think a lot of stylists have a lack of experience. There have been times I came from a salon with my hair in worse looking shape than when I went in. :rolleyes:

Then again, there are gems to be found that do a wonderful job, do exactly as we ask and *offer* their advice but don't act without permission.

I think a lot of folks are creative, they go to cosmetology school hoping to be able to create works of art on peoples heads, then they realize the day to day haircutting is monotonous and can be boring.

I have a cousin who went to beauty school and she now hates cutting hair. I also know several people who have gone through beauty school and have never gone to work in their profession, because they cant stand it now. :shrug:

I think a lot of these young ladies and gentlemen go through all those classes and realize they don't really have creative independence, and some aren't experienced enough to be in a salon, behind a chair, on their own.

It makes it hard to find a good stylist and gives good stylists a bad rap.

I still say, find someone who cares for you as a friend, and respects your desire for long hair and they will be the ones who would be best at assisting in a micro trim.

I have had awful haircuts, cuts that made me look like a very ugly boy, I will never forget those cuts to this day.

I wish there were some solution to this, better regulation, something in place to assure that stylists were done as asked.

Deb!
June 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hubby says he thinks it was more than 6 inches:poot:

It looks like a foot of hair was "trimmed". :mad:

You poor dear!

Alun
June 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
I commiserate with you.

This sort of thing has happened to me many times. The worst of all was when I let a friend of my mum cut my hair. She didn't lack skill, but she was listening to my mum, not me. I haven't had a haircut in five years, but I have reached a few conclusions.

1) Never ask for more than half the amount you want taken off, i.e. if you want three inches taken off it's fatal to ask for more than one and a half.

2) Never use the word 'trim', because this is hair stylist secret code for cut off all the 'untidy' ends.

3) Never trust a hair stylist.

Every now and again you find a good one, but most aren't, and as someone else pointed out, it doesn't even matter what country you are in! I have had the same experience in the UK and in the US.

Pixna
June 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
I feel your pain dear as the same thing happened to me yesterday. I asked my stylist for a microtrim but she took off a major portion, my hair were at waist length and now she left me back to the place where i started from little above BS :(. And to think i was so excited that i would reach my goal length hip till my birthday but now :cry:.

Oh no, Aditi!! You, too? This is just horrible!! I am so sorry that happened to you!!

Pixna
June 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM

I am SHOCKED!!! And deeply saddened. Your hair is gorgeous at either length, but I loved it at TB. I wish there were a way to sue someone who does this -- I consider it a terrible violation and loss. I am so very sorry for you!!!

Pixna
June 23rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
She does her thing (this is extra evil/upsetting because I'm terrifically nearsighted and didn't have my glasses on to see the slaughter earlier) and suddenly I notice she's cutting hair at about my boobs. Which back then were definitely above my waist.

LOL!!!! I hear ya on that one!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LovingLife
June 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am so sorry! :(:'(
I literally feel your pain, try using instead of the long version the short?

getoffmyskittle
June 23rd, 2009, 10:36 AM
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Feye
June 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
That's awful! It makes me really angry. I've had really bad trims too when they took off far too much. What I've learned is to say 1/2 inch if you aim for three off. Sad but true.
Of you can trim your own hair, I started doing that instead. I was just too nervous going to the hairdresser, I never knew how I'd end up walking out of there.

swanns
June 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine has been trimming my hair for the past few years and she never cuts more than I ask for, she's trying to grow her hair as well and knows how painful losing just half an inch feels!

Before that I used to go to a hairdresser who told me she doesn't understand hairdressers who think it's their right to cut off as much as they want and that if a customer tells her to cut half an inch when she thinks they'd need a five-inch cut she'll still cut just that half an inch because that's what the customer is paying for. I liked her :D

I've had many bad salon-experiences but they were mostly my own fault, can't really blame them on the hairdresser.

Unnamed
June 23rd, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

The last two times I went to get my hair trimmed at a salon I had about the same thing happen, but with less length: BSL to shoulder. Twice. I had just wanted a half an inch or an inch, max. Got about 7-8" off. And a lot of comments about how my hair can't grow long/won't make it to waist length/too fine for anything but blunt at shoulder or chin. The second time I thought I had made things clear that I didn't care that it wouldn't grow longer and that I wanted to see anyway...but apparently not. Oh, and said stylist had TB length hair.

Suffice it to say didn't go back after the second time, and started trimming my own hair. When I was 12/13 (mom never took me back--but then she had stopped going back around then, too).

It's easy, cheap, takes less time, far less stress, and I get what I want. It's great. The things that got me to that point weren't so great.

nowxisxforever
June 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
This sort of thing makes me want to go to school to be a hairdresser. I may enjoy it but I would not be good with the product indoctrination.

Kiraela
June 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm so sorry you got a chop job, lil irish angel :( *hugs*

Aunteater
June 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh, you poor thing! I feel your pain. Really.

I have an absolute phobia of salons for that very reason: it's like if they don't cut off more than 2 inches, they feel like they haven't done their job! That used to happen to me every time I paid someone to cut my hair. Now I just guilt friends and family into trimming it once a year and I get what I want: a minor trim, straight across.

C_Bookworm
June 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
YES! :patrol:

Oh did you see that beautiful woman with that to-die-for knee length hair hacked off??? :agape:

Sure it looked good after, but the implicit assumption that having long hair is bad STANK.

So many people would KILL to have those gorgeous locks.

We should do our own makeovers... where you get LONG hair :eyebrows:

Hahaha, imagine our before and after shows would be a few years apart

lil_irish_angel
June 23rd, 2009, 04:41 PM
It looks like a foot of hair was "trimmed". :mad:

You poor dear!

OMG that would make it even worse

lil_irish_angel
June 23rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
oh, I'm sorry. And the manager's reaction was very weird. I hope you didn't pay? Never ever pay for a servce you aren't happy with.

I refused to pay and got ugly looks and they were going to call the poilce if I didn't pay, I called hubby and he said just pay them and walk out.

lil_irish_angel
June 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM

I'm sorry honey, that happened to you. I know what you mean about get to a goal you have waited so patiently for only to have to start over again. I hope you get a growth spirt too so we both could be back were we where.

Isilme
June 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
I refused to pay and got ugly looks and they were going to call the poilce if I didn't pay, I called hubby and he said just pay them and walk out.

wow, that's really weird! I would be shaking with anger if it was me! Sounds like they aren't interested in costumers at all!

lil_irish_angel
June 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
What do you expect in a small town.... Small Minds and Big Egos

Addy
June 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm so sick over this cut for you. I would be in tears. And Aditi, you too! :eek: What a shame. There should be a BBB for these stylist. Butchering Beauticians Beware!:poot:

HeatherJenae
June 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
I've been like a "excuse the term" hairstylist slut for years. I use em' and toss em' as soon as they cut off more than I want. I had one girl who, when I told her I wanted half an inch off (a typical trim), she literally made a disgusted face and rolled her eyes (hello, there's a mirror, I can see you!) and then proceeded to cut it exactly how she wanted. Which was about 3 inches shorter. Every and any time that happens I never go there again. I saw on some website that a lady suggested going in, saying I want this much off, if you cut off more than this, I'm not going to pay you. When I read it, I was like, wow that's kind of harsh. But it's totally not! These f-ing hair people are going to cut your hair the way THEY want it to look. If you find one that actually respects your specifications, by God, hold on to them like your life depended on it!
And seriously, tell them that if they go past your specified cutting length, you will NOT be paying for the cut. Usually if you tell them this with a dead seriousness, they will be super cautious and actually undercut it! Which I think we'd all much prefer.

Nyghtingale
June 23rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
It is so sad that this happens so often. I have not been to a stylist for years now, except when I take my husband. They always want to get me in the chair though. No way!

30isthenewblack
June 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

I agree this quote so much! I really feel your pain as this has happened to me so many times. I could never grow my hair longer than BSL because every time a hairdresser cut my hair, they sabotaged my growth. I'm not bagging hairdressers but I'm no longer prepared to risk losing my growth so when I joined the forum, I started trimming my own hair. It's now the longest that I can remember it being and I've been trying to grow it for over ten years. I really suggest that you try Feye's self trimming method which a lot of people have had a lot of success with. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can!

Cassi
June 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
On my goodness lil irish angel!! Your hair is beautiful!! It might be more than 6 inches. What a travesty. Is there nothing we can do when this happens?? I will probably never go into a salon again for fear of this happening to me!

Cassi
June 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the second post . :) I think if this ever happens to anyone I know I will tell them to say "call the police then" and when they arrive calmly explain that they did not provide the service that they promised. Since they did not do the job they were supposed to I think the police would say payment cannot be collected. Now being a small town.... the stylist may be sister/mom/wife and they may not tell you that legally you are in the right. I am not a lawyer but it seems like I have heard of people doing this in other situations. I work for a big corporate chain and I know if the work isn't done right (like flooring whatever) they don't pay the people unless they redo it the right way.

shadowclaw
June 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
How sad! It's a shame so many stylists don't understand how to follow their client's wishes. I'm also sorry that you paid... I would have told them to go ahead and call the police. I am 99.9% certain that if you receive some sort of service (hair cut, flooring installation, paint job, etc) and the people intentionally (or even unintentionally) do it wrong or contrary to the request, you don't have to pay. It would be a completely different story if you walked in and said, "do whatever," but you were very specific!

I never had a bad hair cutting experience. I've had stylists do a poor job at styling my hair, though. When I was little, I got my hair curled for a wedding. They curled my hair really nice and it looked great... and then they decided to brush all the curls out! :confused: I ended up with slightly wavy hair when they were done. My mom was quite irritated and took me home and recurled my hair herself.

Now my mom, on the other hand, has had many bad hair cuts. She hasn't had long hair in years, but she usually has it a little bit above the shoulder. Once she wanted a hair cut like someone on tv, and they cut it quite short and told her it had to "grow into the style." Not sure if there's any truth to that, but I'm pretty sure they could have done something that didn't require her to grow her hair for three months to get her hair to the length of the style. One time she got it done at the mall, and she came out of the salon in tears. If I were to describe the cut, I'd call it a pixie gone wrong. She was afraid to go to a salon for quite a while after that.

getoffmyskittle
June 23rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I agree this quote so much! I really feel your pain as this has happened to me so many times. I could never grow my hair longer than BSL because every time a hairdresser cut my hair, they sabotaged my growth. I'm not bagging hairdressers but I'm no longer prepared to risk losing my growth so when I joined the forum, I started trimming my own hair. It's now the longest that I can remember it being and I've been trying to grow it for over ten years. I really suggest that you try Feye's self trimming method which a lot of people have had a lot of success with. Hey, if I can do it, anyone can!

Yup. Nobody but me has touched my hair with scissors in the last 4 years.

Aditi
June 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Oh no, Aditi!! You, too? This is just horrible!! I am so sorry that happened to you!!
I know and so am I, but right now the only thing i can do is to put my hair up and forget about this cut.

I'm sorry honey, that happened to you. I know what you mean about get to a goal you have waited so patiently for only to have to start over again. I hope you get a growth spirt too so we both could be back were we where.

I certainly hope so dear, for now its best that we both forget the TRAUMA as the more we remember it the more we will grief and miss our lengths :(.

I'm so sick over this cut for you. I would be in tears. And Aditi, you too! :eek: What a shame. There should be a BBB for these stylist. Butchering Beauticians Beware!:poot:
I liked this suggestion for BBB, we could take their pics and salon's name and make several posters and post them in the city stating BEWARE :demon:.

30isthenewblack
June 24th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Yup. Nobody but me has touched my hair with scissors in the last 4 years.

Yes, you're a walking advertisement for self trimming ... gorgeous hair and beautiful hemline :D

Heavenly Locks
June 24th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Oh gosh that is a shame!

I don't think they realize that amount is a year's growth!!

In some (most?) stylist's mind, it's like trimming fingernails...you cut it for maintenance and wait for it to grow back so it can be cut again. Most people don't feel like we do about our hair. It's a hassle, maintenance, JOB. Not something we nurture...

:grouphug:

blondecat
June 26th, 2009, 08:25 AM
<<HUGS>>> Lil Angel and all whom have been 'whipper-snippered'

Me - BTDT got the tee-shirt way too many times.

It really is amazing how many stylists cannot believe fine, thin hair can grow

Really, they are amazed lol

Snowflakey
June 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
This happened to me every time I got my hair cut at salons. Whenever I asked for a 1 inch trim, they'd always hack off at least 3-4 inches. That's why I stopped going to salons and just dust my hair at home, by myself. Hair stylists are just too untrustworthy...

ColoradoDreamer
June 26th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry for all of you that have had bad hair cuts. I've had a few bad experiences.

When I was little, my mom used to take me to a lady who would "cut as long as there was hair to cut." I'd go in for a bang/fringe trim and come out with barely a half inch of bangs. Really dorky looking on a kid. The bad experiences I've had as an adult came from going to someone other than my regular stylist. I've had them ARGUE with me about my own hair. One lady was supposed to be putting in a body perm and ignored me when I told her that my hair damages easily and she needed to put some kind of pre-treatment on it before perming. And ignored me again when I told her that my scalp was burning. That was the absolute worst experience I ever had at a salon.

My long-time stylist (and friend) does exactly what I ask her to do when I go in for a cut or trim. She's even done micro-trims on me! The only complaint I have is that she is kind of rough in handling my long hair when it's wet. However, she doesn't mind if I shampoo myself at home and come in with damp hair.

I just asked my DH if he'd ever be willing to help me with trims (after reading that so many of you have your DHs help you. He kind of snickered and said, "You really trust me? He gives himself buzz cuts with clippers and almost always messes up the back and I have to clean it up for him. Hmm. I need to learn how to do it myself.

Unofficial_Rose
June 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm really pleased to see we haven't had to suffer the once-obligatory "I'm really clear with what I want so this has never happened to me" post. :rolleyes:

Having gone in with shoulder-length wanting a trim, saying I was growing it, then leaving with a pixie, I certainly know what you're talking about.

GlassEyes
June 27th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I'm really pleased to see we haven't had to suffer the once-obligatory "I'm really clear with what I want so this has never happened to me" post. :rolleyes:

Having gone in with shoulder-length wanting a trim, saying I was growing it, then leaving with a pixie, I certainly know what you're talking about.
I'm really clear with what I want and this has never happened to me.

...:p:p:p

But honestly, I've always walked out of a salon with hair that's shorter than I want; always have, always will, just because I hate cutting off my hair. D: But Iv'e never had a bad cut.

Once it comes time for another trim though...I haven't the foggiest idea what I'm going to do. XD Maybe I'll just search and destroy...forever.:p

shwankie
June 27th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Oh, I am so sorry, that is awful! I've been there, too, and being incredibly explicit didn't help at all. I said I just wanted a half inch off the blunt ends of my waist-length hair. With one swipe, the stylist took off 8 inches on one side of my head. I didn't even have time to stop her! I, also, now just trim my own (S&D). It's just not worth it for me.

I also don't get the "donate it to locks for love" thing, on so many levels. How would they feel if you told them they should donate a kidney, blood, or a percentage of their paycheck? That's a personal choice, not something you tell others they should do. How rude! Just because you have something doesn't mean you have to donate it to someone else! Also, I don't think many people really have any idea how Locks for Love works, including stylists. They just hear that you need 10" of hair to donate. There are other guidelines, and many times the hair cannot be used.

Tom Steinberg
June 27th, 2009, 04:03 PM
That's really a shame! I guess the best thing would be to have a friend to do the trimming for you, someone you trust a 100%, or maybe do it yourself. I keep my fingers crossed for a quick recovery :) Best of luck!

swanns
June 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
That's really a shame! I guess the best thing would be to have a friend to do the trimming for you, someone you trust a 100%, or maybe do it yourself. I keep my fingers crossed for a quick recovery :) Best of luck!

Or even better, a friend who is trying to grow their hair as well. People who want long hair too understand when you tell them to cut no more than half an inch :)

It really just confuses me as to why these hairdressers think they have the right to cut eight inches instead of one (referring to shwankie here), I can still somehow understand them cutting two inches but EIGHT?? I just... have no idea what makes them do it.

In a way this thread has made me want to go to see a hairdresser after a very long while though, I'd just love to give a headache to some poor student at the local beauty school :D I've had my hair trimmed there a couple of times and they tend to be extra cautious because there's always a teacher watching over their shoulder. Maybe I could teach them to be a bit more long-hair friendly?

Tom Steinberg
June 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Or even better, a friend who is trying to grow their hair as well. People who want long hair too understand when you tell them to cut no more than half an inch :)

It really just confuses me as to why these hairdressers think they have the right to cut eight inches instead of one (referring to shwankie here), I can still somehow understand them cutting two inches but EIGHT?? I just... have no idea what makes them do it.

That's an even better idea :) I think it's really important to be surrounded by people who are like minded when it comes to long hair, which again must have been the reason for creating this community. Not sure why so many hair dressers seem to be so scissor happy. They have been trained that way I guess...