PDA

View Full Version : HELP - shedding 500 hairs a day?!?

Katze
June 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I know 'postpartum shedding' is 'normal.' I always thought 100 hairs a day. But the 'normal' 150 + hairs a day I have been shedding for the past 3 weeks have suddenly increased.

Yesterday I lost over 500 hairs. I counted them. :(

This morning I woke up and just fingercombing my hair I pulled out another 250 or so.

I have to admit I ended up crying and wondering if I would have to shave my head before my wedding in two weeks. I'm not only losing long, old hairs but lots of different lengths of new growth as well - shorter hairs with tapered ends at lengths from 2 inches to 8 inches - so post LHC growth is falling out as well as pregnancy growth.

BF and a good friend who was here both say they can see nothing. I feel like my hair is about half its pregnancy thickness already, but at least it is not falling out in patches or anything.

Every time I handle my hair (fingercomb, brush, detangle, comb, braid...) big handfuls fall out. I am taking the best care of myself possible, eating and sleeping as much and as well as I can, drinking water, taking my prenatal vitamins plus extra C to help antioxidize, and fish oil. But my skin is in terrible shape - red patches of eczema on face and hands, and my scalp has crusty red patches as well as dandruff.

I have been doing OCM regularly the past week, SMTs on hair every week or so, but nothing seems to be helping my hair not fall out or my skin and scalp not be irritated. Planning on honey masks for face and scalp tonight, as this normally helps.

Tomorrow I will call my doctor who also does homeopathy and ask him for some kind of medicine (I am hoping homeopathy has something - he already has helped me out of a deep postpartum depression) because I am leaving for the USA in FOUR DAYS and getting married in two weeks!

I really don't want to look like I have mange when I get married and take pictures I will be looking at for the rest of my life.

Is there anything I can do? When will it stop? Any other vitamins I can take (I am breastfeeding) that will help?

somebody please tell me all my hard work taking care of my body and my hair is not going to go to waste...

:(

Edited to add: my hair is not particularly thick to begin with, and I have very severe taper that makes the ends look ratty despite lots of trimming. That is why I would consider an emergency cut (to APL or so) if this goes on for another week.

Samikha
June 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Take a deeeep breath. It probably is "just" postpartum shedding, though I understand it feels very dramatic and scary. Your doctor will be able to tell you what is in the normal range or not. I can't offer any practical advice, but try not to freak out until you've had your doctor's professional opinion.

When I have heavy shedding periods 200 or 250 is the norm. I get strands of hair coming away every time I touch my hair too. Considering all the hormones that have been at work in your system, double that is not unreasonable. Hang in there! You'll figure this out. You'll look good for your wedding. Your work is NOT going to waste. Every body and head of hair has its rough patches. The good thing about them is that they end. :grouphug:

LutraLutra
June 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'm sure what Samika says is right. A visit to your Dr should help. Your body has gone through some crazy hormonal changes since you've been pregnant. :grouphug:

Bluebell
June 21st, 2009, 07:07 AM
Ohhh, 'm so sorry you have this major postpartumshed!
Like you said, be prepared to have to cut your hair a bit. I had to when my hair was shedding like crazy after giving birth.
The good news, armpitlength hair is long enough to create a lovely romantic wedding updo!
Take care:blossom:

gmdiaz
June 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
You do need to get checked out by the doctor for sure!

But it sounds like you've got a LOT going on right now, traveling, a baby, getting married! Good Grief! Could you be in any more change, I ask you?

All the things that I use that might help would be dangerous for you without a doctor's approval, since your breastfeeding.

The best advice I can give you, is to try to remain calm and rest when you possibly can. The honey mask sounds like a good idea! I don't suppose you have any or can get real quick that special Wedderspoon Manuka honey? That's supposed to be so great for helping calm skin issues.

And I agree, don't worry about your hair! There is no way you're not going to look beautiful with your hair pulled up into a fabulous wedding updo! And I know this is just a temporary thing. Just focus on calming down your skin and getting through the wedding. . .and having fun!

amaiaisabella
June 21st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Oh, honey, I feel your pain. Been there, though not with such an important event ahead of me!

Before henna, my hair hated protein, but it's really responding well to treatments now, and that's definitely cut down on my shedding. I don't know if you use honey in your SMTs, but I noticed that honey increased my shedding a lot. Oils have also increased my shedding, depending on what kind I used (EVOO less shedding, jojoba I had a pile of hair I was sure could form a new person!)

I hope you don't have to make the cut, but if you do, I'm sure you'll look fabulous. *waves from APL* :D

DragonLady
June 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
I have to chime in to agree with everyone else. You're going through enough stress for four people. Remember, that even if a change is good and making you happy, it's still stressful.

Try to focus on the important things, and just let your hair do what it will. I'm sure that when your life has calmed down a bit everything will return to normal. And in the meantime, brides are always beautiful -just put your hair up (maybe buy a beautiful clip or something for the occasion) and focus on the reason for the day.

You'll be fine. :)

hellkitty
June 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have no experience with post partum shedding, but I do know MAJOR stress shedding.

It's possible you may need some kind of vitamin. From what I remember from biology class, breastfeeding really takes a nutritional toll on the mother--all those nutrients in the breast milk have to come from somewhere! So ask your doctor about a vitamin supplement that might be safe for your condition.

File this under 'easier said than done', but remember, I've been there, too! Stressing about your shedding may make it worse. I stress shed, and stressing about shedding turned into a vicious cycle for me. The more I worried about it, the more I shed! Yikes! I don't want you to go down that path.

It was a hard road, but learning to love my hair, even thin and ratty as it is at the ends (I can't bear to chop either!) really turned out to be a good thing. It's a matter of reframing from 'doing this treatment because I'm freaking out' and 'being loving to what I have'. Seems like a small difference, but it's huge. One comes from stress, one comes from self-love.

I stress shed several years ago--if you look at a braid of mine, you can see a major taper at about BSL. I bring this up as proof that *it comes back*. All my stress shed is growing in. And I have another crop that's just a wee too short to pull back, almost like someone cut a deliberate layer into my hair at that length. When my body was done freaking out, it got to work growing that hair back, apparently all at once. So, there IS hope!

HK

Katze
June 21st, 2009, 07:48 AM
Thanks everyone.

I only feel beautiful when I look healthy. I don't look healthy at the moment. My hair is the worst of it. But my skin is wrinkly and hanging in a crepey way on arms and decollete - think thin old lady skin - and my face is wrinkly, oily, and dry in addition to the eczema. Regular OCM is not helping at all, and the supposedly 'healing' cream I got from the pharmacy is full of silicone.

Honey has normally been wonderful for both my hair and skin - regular SMTs since coming to LHC have totally turned my sebhorreic dermatitis around. I don't have (and can't get) any special honey on this short notice, but I did get a cheap squeeze bottle for the bathroom that I can literally just squeeze on skin and hair.

I don't think honey would suddenly cause shedding when it has always been so good...but then everything else I do for my health (rest, good food, vitamins, fish oil, lots of water) is also not helping. :( Honestly, LIFE is causing shedding right now and I have never hated my hair more.

I am going to wait another week and if my hair keeps falling out like it is I will cut. Anything other than a buzz cut isn't going to stop the shedding issue, but cutting to APL will at least make it look thicker. A real shame, because I am almost at waist.

My hair was so lovely during pregnancy. Now it is frizzy and poofy and won't lie flat, but is thinner on the ends.

I am so bummed.

sagebabies
June 21st, 2009, 08:07 AM
I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you have to be going through this. I've had pretty major sheds after each pregnancy....but it always grows back so hang in there.

I am due to have baby #4 any day now and I am DREADING the upcoming shed.

Calista
June 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
Even a buzz cut won´t stop your shedding (you just won´t notice as much), so don´t go doing anything stupid. :scared:

Honestly, I have always wondered how some women (preferably celebrities - Heidi Klum or Claudia Schiffer come to my mind) can give birth and look gorgeous and slim a mere fortnight afterwards! It´s just not real. As others have said before me, you have a lot going on in your life right now. Pregnancy, a hard birth, C-section, recovery, post-partum depression, nursing, overseas travel, wedding... I don´t envy you. It´s not a time women typically look their best.

I can´t help you on the shedding issue, sorry. For your skin, have you tried a lotion containing urea? My SO has psoriasis, and we use the 10% urea lotion from Eucerin (http://well.ca/images/large/products/eucerin-10-urea-lotion_1216318503_LRG.jpg). It is quite heavy, though. A lighter one is made by Sebamed (http://www.yopi.de/image/prod_pics/3835/f/3835216.jpg), also with 10% urea, but it is not as "pure" (contains perfume and a preservative). It really helps with retaining moisture. I use both lotions on my body, and they give me fabulous skin.

Rohele
June 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Katze - I have not much more advice, but just wanted to sympathize. I didn't have huge postpartum sheds, but I did have one like you're describing after a severe bout of pneumonia. A shock to your system (like a high fever, surgery or childbirth) can trigger it. Try not to worry - there are new hairs coming behind the ones that are falling out - you'll probably start to see regrowth soon. I remember having a halo of one inch hair all over my parting and around the front of my hairline as a whole bunch of hairs grew back all at once.

I'm sorry you're going through it right before your wedding though. :( And I agree with the others, talk to your doctor if you think it's excessive.

Hang in there and take care of yourself! And don't be too hard on yourself - pregnancy changes your body and it takes time to get back to where you were - it usually takes about 9 months to a year.

Fractalsofhair
June 21st, 2009, 10:05 AM
Talk to your doctor, but a lot of women lose hair after childbirth. Sorry it's happening right before your wedding, but do try to get your hair styled for it in a way that will hide the thinning hair. If at all possible, this would be the occasion to look for a stylist who can do that!

Tangles
June 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hormones suck. That's all I can really say.

Toadstool
June 21st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Dearest Katze
I'm so sorry you are going through so much stress. With that and hormones it's bound to take a toll on your mind and body. Remember this is only temporary. Take any relaxation time you can (I know this is difiicult with a new baby)
And I promise you will look beautiful on your wedding day.

VanillaTresses
June 21st, 2009, 11:08 AM
About 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.

Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby. This loss is also related to hormones. During pregnancy, high levels of certain hormones cause the body to keep hair that would normally fall out. When the hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels, that hair falls out and the normal cycle of growth and loss starts again.

Quotes from FamilyDoctor.org

Katze, I am really pulling for you and I hope that the stress you are having is only exacerbating your view of your hair. I am sure that to others it doesn't look the same as it does to you-- and you are probably WAY harsher on yourself than anyone else is. I really hope that you can make it through this period without having to cut. However if you do end up going back to APL we will be here to support you! I hope that your trip to the US goes smoothly and I am sure that you will look lovely for your wedding.

My personal advice is that sometimes when I know I look washed out, rough, wrinkly and generally crappy I go ahead and break out the makeup and all of the feminine tricks. I don't usually wear makeup on a daily basis but there are times that it can help pick me up, especially when I am feeling really down. The same goes for hair-- if I needed to add a couple of clip-in hairpieces to make my wedding day hair look thicker and fabulous I would totally do it. That's what they make that stuff for anyways. Go ahead and indulge for yourself, after all you have been through, you deserve it! :grouphug::blossom:

Honey39
June 21st, 2009, 11:09 AM
I always thought that the shed you get post-partum is simply the hair that WOULD have shed during pregnancy, so your hair simply goes back to pre-pregnancy thickness?

Try not to worry, Katze, it's really natural and it will stop and soon. Your hair is really pretty and silky, and if you have to trim an inch off, that'll be fine. Don't do anything rash, try to just put it up and forget about it, don't tug at your hair to see how much hair is coming out through the day. And see a doctor to discuss to put your mind at rest...

Darkhorse1
June 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Try not to panic--this is just post-partum shedding. My mom had this happen to her and she freaked out as well. Check with your doctor if there are any extra vitamins you can take, but it will stop. Hugs to you!!

girlcat36
June 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM
Oh, Katze, I'm so sorry!
I know your hair was growing so well during your pregnancy, and I had hoped that your post partum shed wouldn't be that bad! :(

I think having had anesthesia for your C-section has a hand in this. I have had anesthesia 5 times in the last year and a half, and each time a big shed 2 months later.
And stress plays a big role here. When I am out of work for medical reasons, I shed little; when I go back to work----back to shedding(my job is a source of stress for me).
I feel like I could have written your post!
I did have to trim back my hair 3" a month ago, and I had SO badly wanted waist length hair for my own upcoming wedding! But that is not to be!

Are you taking extra iron? What about Evening Primrose Oil?
I am having good luck using Jason Thick-to-Thin shampoo, it does mke my hair appear fuller.
I am making an effort NOT to worry about my hair, because it does no good! I no longer comb my hair in the shower; it's too traumatic to see all that shed hair in the shower.
I don't have much to offer here besides commiseration! You and I struggle so hard to keep our hair growing, and I often wonder why it has to be so hard!

SpecialKitty
June 21st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hang in there Katze - you are beautiful even though you don't feel like it right now. All of your body's energy is going towards the baby, and the added stress of everything else is just running you down. Treat yourself if you can to some TLC. Don't cut your hair if you can help it. Maybe you could get some pretty hair extensions for your wedding - for fun and so you don't have to worry so much about the condition of your hair at the moment. I think the hormones combined with the anaesthesia are to blame, and in a few months, you will be back to growing again. Your hair will be okay, it will. :grouphug:

Ursula
June 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
For your skin, have you tried Penaten Creme? It's a German product, a thick cream intended (I think) for diaper rash. My father swears by the stuff. You'd probably want to put it on affected areas at night, and wash it off in the morning, as it is very, very thick, and white, and would look silly if you were running around with it on your skin all day.

ETA: here's a link to Penaten Creme on the US Amazon site, it has ingredients listed in English: http://www.amazon.com/Penaten-Creme-150ml/dp/B000NEA17A

As I remembered, it's sold as a diaper rash cream - it's a zinc oxide product. It's been my family's go-to cream for any strange rash for years.

Going back to your thread on glasses, when I mentioned the importance of "bring things back which can't be found here" - this was always one of the things where a couple of tins would be brought to the US from Germany on every trip.

renarok
June 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Oh Katze I am so sorry that the timing for your shed is so bad. It happens to most new moms.

My oblivious husband even noticed when I had my post partum shedding. He said I would purposely make him "hair sandwiches",,,, gross. And no I absolutely did not purposely put hair in his food, but in my defense, I also had difficult c-section births and I basically stumbled through about the first four months in an exhausted fog, so yeah he probably ate some hair.

Just know it DOES get better. Stress doesn't help. My advice is to enjoy every minute. Let everyone else stress over the wedding.

Melisande
June 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Such a short time before the wedding, I wouldn't experiment with Penaten creme, it contains zinc oxide and fish oil - great for skin but hard to wash off, and sometimes less is more. Katze can't afford to develop a reaction to ingredients she didn't put on her face before... or maybe I'm too cautious? (I had little luck with Penaten creme on my face so I'm not objective).

Dear Katze, I'm sure you will look beautiful, radiant and divine on your wedding day. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You know what your body has been through and your achievements are many. There are things you have no control over. So let them go.

I went through the postpartum shed from hell four times and had a number of hormonal sheds. I really hear you on the horrible feeling. I'm sorry you go through this - you really had a hard enough time with your hair even before all those changes. Even though we need that the postpartum shed only means that "retained" hair is kicked out now, it makes you cry to see it go.

Don't laugh when I say: relax. Or try to. Don't put any more pressure on yourself. You are juggling so many things at the moment.

I'm looking so forward to the pictures of you in that wonderful saree, with henna on your feet and a smile to light the world. I'm sure your hair will look good, too. If you need help, get it. If you think a trim would help you to feel prettier, get it. Your hair will grow.

Ursula
June 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Such a short time before the wedding, I wouldn't experiment with Penaten creme, it contains zinc oxide and fish oil - great for skin but hard to wash off, and sometimes less is more. Katze can't afford to develop a reaction to ingredients she didn't put on her face before... or maybe I'm too cautious? (I had little luck with Penaten creme on my face so I'm not objective).

You're right. If you've never used it before, don't start with it on your face. However, since the excema is on your hands (and perhaps elsewhere) it might not hurt to test on a patch there.

And since you've got a new baby, it wouldn't hurt to have a tin around in case of diaper rash, anyway.

rhubarbarin
June 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm so sorry Katze. :(

Your body has been through hell in the last few months! Pregnancy, a long labor, surgery, infection, massive hormonal changes, on top of caring for a newborn, breastfeeding, losing sleep, planning your wedding..!! It is no wonder you are not looking or feeling your best.

I'm sure you will look beautiful for your wedding.

Going to the doctor can't hurt, but 500 hairs a day sounds normal to me for postpartum shedding. Some women I know actually lost clumps of hair or experienced balding. Most describe 'handfuls' coming out.

I myself shed 150 hairs per day as a matter of course, and have shed 300-400 before. I can imagine this much shedding is very scary for someone with a more moderate shed rate than I have.

If you do cut, you will have beautiful APL hair with a thick hemline.

Kuchen
June 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
You've had a full whammy of physical trauma, as a few people have mentioned. Go easy on yourself! Something which you might find helps with the skin is Bag Balm (yeah, I know, but I get manage to look dewy after applying a tiny amount to damp skin and letting it soak right in). It's got a slightly medical component that's great for excema. It's hardcore, but it works.

Speckla
June 21st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but shifting hormones after pregnancy can cause extra shedding. Also, there seems to be a whole lot of shedding afterwards because pregnant women don't shed as much while they're pregnant - that's why hair feels and look thicker during pregnancy. What you're losing could just be all those extra hairs that you normally would have shed but didn't because you were pregnant. I remember losing handfuls of hair after having my son. I literally mean handfuls. My hair was a little thinner around my bangs but it grew back within 6 months and no lasting thinness.

ktani
June 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
I am sorry that you are going through this, the shedding and the stress before your wedding. I doubt very much that the skin wrinkling you see as anywhere near as bad as it seems to you. You are very young (from my perspective, being much older than you).

I think that some of it is stress. See your doctor for sure and try to refrain from doing something drastic that will only add to your stress levels. Most of this sounds like hormones but getting ready for your wedding is not helping. If and I suspect you have done so, you have made most of the wedding plans, there is little left to do there. This is a happy occasion and a lifetime memory.

Think beautiful. Believe it or not it can help to do that. I have no doubt that walking down the aisle, you will be radiant no matter what your skin and hair look like. You will be fulfilling a dream.

hellkitty
June 21st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Katze,

Please post some pictures of the wedding. You're wearing a sari? Please, please please post pics!?!

I had a crummy justice of the peace ceremony (held in a police station--can you believe? HELL0 red flag!!) so I really missed out on all the fancy dress and stuff, but I love non-traditional wedding stuff. (I wanted something with swords and kilts, but he said no way). You'll be radiant, I'm certain of it. And I think we all want to see!!!!!

Please don't be so hard on yourself or your hair!

HK

Rini
June 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Katze

Big hugs to you right now, :grouphug: I'm sorry you feel bad

Please be assured that this kind of post partum shed is normal (and also your hair not behaving is normal too!). I personally lost CHUNKS of hair after all my babies, but it all grew back and my hair settled down finally (after 3 years of either being pregnant or breast feeding too). What helped the most for me was to take supplements, although please check with your doctor as some things aren't good to take when breastfeeding.

I know you will be beautiful at your wedding, especially if you're wearing a Sari :D A Sari will make up for the worst hair and skin day IMO ;)

cindy58
June 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry you're feeling so bummed right now! You are a pretty woman. I also have very sensitive skin. When things flare up, I know the impulse is to try something, anything that might help. The problem is, trying too many different things often makes the troubles worse.

I have had decent luck with a few Burt's Bees products (scrub and moisturizer). Maybe they would work for you. They got rid of the nasty dry skin without making it worse.

Katze
June 21st, 2009, 11:52 PM
You all are the best. It was so great to log on this morning and see all the replies from people in later time zones. :)

Deliberately have not touched or fingercombed this morning. I am dreading it. But my doctor gets in at 8am and I am hoping to be able to at least phone with him.

Try not to worry - there are new hairs coming behind the ones that are falling out - you'll probably start to see regrowth soon. I remember having a halo of one inch hair all over my parting and around the front of my hairline as a whole bunch of hairs grew back all at once.

So what happens to the halo I already had when it is falling out too? I had so much new growth since coming to LHC (see my taper pics) and am a bit mystified that these new hairs are falling out too. I would have expected (and hoped!) only the old hairs fall out...

I think having had anesthesia for your C-section has a hand in this. I have had anesthesia 5 times in the last year and a half, and each time a big shed 2 months later.
And stress plays a big role here. When I am out of work for medical reasons, I shed little; when I go back to work----back to shedding(my job is a source of stress for me).
I feel like I could have written your post!
I did have to trim back my hair 3" a month ago, and I had SO badly wanted waist length hair for my own upcoming wedding! But that is not to be!

Are you taking extra iron? What about Evening Primrose Oil?
I am having good luck using Jason Thick-to-Thin shampoo, it does mke my hair appear fuller.
I am making an effort NOT to worry about my hair, because it does no good! I no longer comb my hair in the shower; it's too traumatic to see all that shed hair in the shower.
I don't have much to offer here besides commiseration! You and I struggle so hard to keep our hair growing, and I often wonder why it has to be so hard!

I know, it doesn't seem fair. My BF's hair grows like a weed, and he treats it like crap and eats sugar (Nutella) for breakfast. He doesn't take vitamins, either.

I didn't have anasthesia, though. I was conscious the whole time, and it HURT, despite all the pain meds they pumped into me through the spinal catheter thing. But no doubt this stressed my body. I've been laying around, doing gentle walking, stretching, and biking, sleeping as much as baby kitty allows, and trying to "chill" to heal myself. I am determined to be fit again as soon as possible!

The JASON shampoo sounds good, I will try it when I am in the USA. I was also thinking of getting some Nioxin - despite 'cones - when I am there. None of these products are available here.

Oh Katze I am so sorry that the timing for your shed is so bad. It happens to most new moms.

My oblivious husband even noticed when I had my post partum shedding. He said I would purposely make him "hair sandwiches",,,, gross. And no I absolutely did not purposely put hair in his food, but in my defense, I also had difficult c-section births and I basically stumbled through about the first four months in an exhausted fog, so yeah he probably ate some hair.

Just know it DOES get better. Stress doesn't help. My advice is to enjoy every minute. Let everyone else stress over the wedding.

thanks, I have been feeling so much better now, so why the shedding? Luckily BF is also a long hair, and a big shedder (his hair has also gotten thinner since I got pregnant, but this is making him take better care of it) so he doesn't get grossed out.

Dear Katze, I'm sure you will look beautiful, radiant and divine on your wedding day. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. You know what your body has been through and your achievements are many. There are things you have no control over. So let them go.

I went through the postpartum shed from hell four times and had a number of hormonal sheds. I really hear you on the horrible feeling. I'm sorry you go through this - you really had a hard enough time with your hair even before all those changes. Even though we need that the postpartum shed only means that "retained" hair is kicked out now, it makes you cry to see it go.

I'm looking so forward to the pictures of you in that wonderful saree, with henna on your feet and a smile to light the world. I'm sure your hair will look good, too. If you need help, get it. If you think a trim would help you to feel prettier, get it. Your hair will grow.

Thanks Melisande. Yeah, I don't like Penaten particularly and won't put it on my face, I don't think. Maybe...though greasy stuff on my face always feels weird. I will probably go to the Apotheke today even if I don't reach my doctor and beg them for SOMETHING to help my skin.

I am hoping it is just retained hair. It is so scary. My hair was the one thing I was feeling so good about during pregnancy, but in the first few weeks I just let it go, wearing it in a messy bun every day and not combing it out. Maybe that also made more hairs stick around longer?

Hoping my Lehenga Choli (easier than a Sari, but looks just as nice) arrives from India in time for the wedding. Otherwise it will be something else, but I will still have henna. Thanks for your support. :)

You've had a full whammy of physical trauma, as a few people have mentioned. Go easy on yourself! Something which you might find helps with the skin is Bag Balm (yeah, I know, but I get manage to look dewy after applying a tiny amount to damp skin and letting it soak right in). It's got a slightly medical component that's great for excema. It's hardcore, but it works.

Bag balm? Can you get it here in Germany? I might ask...but isn't it also greasy?

I really thought OCM would work, as it has always helped...

Katze,

Please post some pictures of the wedding. You're wearing a sari? Please, please please post pics!?!

I had a crummy justice of the peace ceremony (held in a police station--can you believe? HELL0 red flag!!) so I really missed out on all the fancy dress and stuff, but I love non-traditional wedding stuff. (I wanted something with swords and kilts, but he said no way). You'll be radiant, I'm certain of it. And I think we all want to see!!!!!

Please don't be so hard on yourself or your hair!

HK

Haha, police stations are never a good place to hang out in. You made me smile, thanks. :)

I'm actually wearing a Lehenga Choli - a three piece outfit that looks a bit like a Sari but is easier for me since I haven't worn a Sari in decades.

No matter what, even if I have to hack off my hair, the dark red and silver of the Lehenga I have chosen will look nice with my hair and skin color. I am looking forward to making the best of what I have.

Gonna go see if the doctor is in now, and if I can go see him...

Kuchen
June 22nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
I'm not sure how long you'll be in the States before the wedding, but you could find it there. It is super greasy (gotta use it sparingly) and takes a while to sink in, but it's good stuff. I tried using a shea butter mix I made from Spinnrad ingredients too, that might help.

Calista
June 22nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
I use the pure (refined) sheabutter from Spinnrad on my face, and I love it! I have combination skin, and I thought it would be too oily, but it´s just perfect for me! So I second Kuchen´s recommendation.

brok3nwings
June 22nd, 2009, 02:00 AM
katze i have no experience on this that i could transmit to you...i just wanted to say that please try to calm yourself and think that there are so many great new things happening to your life that you should concentrate on enjoying them.

I dont think you should feel like that about yourself, and i see a big problem. When you notice something that is wrong about your phisical aspect normally and dont forget about it, it has the tendency to create some sort of psicological obcession and you really start seeing everything with different eyes...(and not in a good way!). I am sure you will be beautiful at your wedding! Best wishes

Lize
June 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM
I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to say that I hope everything works out! I am sure you will have a wonderful trip to the States and that your wedding will be fabulous! Hang in there! :grouphug:

Niphredil
June 22nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Wow, even for a post-partum shed, 500 hairs seem a lot to me.
I second the other posters about you having had (and still have) a few very stressful months which probably only add to the normal rate of post-partum shed and skin issues.

The only thing I can think of right now is to treat your skin/scalp first, and try not to think about the hair that much (a lot easier said than done obviously). Be gentle on the hair, keep it contained but not tight. Do not wash/handle it more than truly necessary etc. When my scalp acts up by being greasy, crusty, itchy etc, I always have increased hair-loss. Treating the scalp first helps a lot when that happens.

Having it cut shorter will not help with the shedding, but it might help you feeling a bit better about how it looks. Don't rush into it, but if you do cut, it will grow back even though it will set you back a year or so, length-wise.

I sincerely hope your skin and scalp calm down before the wedding !!

*hugs*

Katze
June 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
thanks. :)

I tried some shea butter which felt nice, then got myself some ' Silicea'to take internally and to put on irritated skin. My skin around my nose is already feeling better - less tight and raw.

The Apotheke was a waste of time. The woman knew nothing - zero - about hair and scalp, and for my skin tried to sell me ' La Roche Posay Sensitive Skin ' products which are full of alcohol and silicones. I don't get why putting 'cones on eczema would be good for it...! There are so many creams, more and less 'natural' that I could spend all my money and time on, but for me they are a waste.

So back to more religious OCM and steaming, the Silicea, and I will stick with my nice Dr Hauschka face cream too. Maybe my skin needs more moisture.

I wonder if oil would help my scalp? Normally this is a bad idea for me, but all the rules seem to be out the window now.

I did not get to my doctor - would have had to take Baby Kitty and wait - so I am hoping I can (in American fashion) cure the hair loss myself.

Thanks everyone for your support. I was literally in tears over my poor hair yesterday but am really trying to ignore it. 'Put it up and forget about it' doesn't work because my hair is so messy/frizzy that I have to (finger) comb it a couple of times a day and still see the handfuls of hair. But I guess I just have to pretend it isn't happening.

Maybe Baby Kitty will get more hair soon so I can play with hers. She has a light, 3/4 inch, blonde fuzz that is getting thicker all the time.

Rohele
June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
So what happens to the halo I already had when it is falling out too? I had so much new growth since coming to LHC (see my taper pics) and am a bit mystified that these new hairs are falling out too. I would have expected (and hoped!) only the old hairs fall out...

That one I don't know. I've been experiencing a bit of extra shedding at the moment too (although not like what you're describing, just more than is normal for me), and I'm noticing some shorter hairs that look like new growth as well, but to be honest, I don't think I ever looked at my hair as closely as I do now, so I don't know if that's usual or not.

Maybe they are just the shorter hairs we all have around our nape and hairline?

You said you were feeling better now, so why the shed now - they usually start about 3 months after the event that stressed (surgery, childbirth, illness or whatever) your body. The stress on the body causes more hair to enter its resting phase than normal. From what I understand hair is in its resting phase for about 3 months before it falls out, which is why there is the delay.

I remember the feeling of not wanting to comb or handle your hair when I had my illness induced shed too. Just keep treating it gently. And try not to count the hair daily (easier said than done I know) - it's not worth the extra stress - you already know it's more than normal.

I took a peek at your albums. I loved some of styles with the braids. And your daughter is absolutely adorable too! :)

Curlsgirl
June 22nd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Hugs Katze, so sorry you are going through this. I have excema and it's very bad at times. Have you considered a steroid cream just to get your skin cleared up for now and your wedding anyway? They are not good for long term use but are the ONLY thing really sometimes when I have a bad time that will work. Other than that, don't use ANY soap, just use water or if you HAVE to a very mild no fragranced, for sensitive skin soap, drink lots of water and take some Vitamin A. Bagbalm which someone suggested is good for some things but just in my experience aggravates my excema really badly. You have to be SO careful what you put on it! If you try something try a tiny place. As for your hair maybe it's a good time to get a fresh start? I hope you don't have to cut, I would wait a bit anyway. Praying for you hon for the best!!!

Islandgrrl
June 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Katze, I'm so sorry for what you're going through! A big postpartum shed isn't unusual, but with your wedding coming up, I understand how much additional stress this must be causing you. Your body will eventually normalize and find balance again.

I'm afraid I have no wonderful advice - when I went through an enormous (more than half) postpartum shed after my son was born (um...19.5 years ago), my solution was to cut my hair. I cut back to a pixie, but I think that was more out of annoyance than necessity. It grew in very different - different color, different texture. But it did grow back.

I hope the doctor has some kind of remedy that will help bring your body back into balance and stop the shed.

JewelsSparkles
June 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I've always heard that the average person sheds 50-100 hairs per day & during pregnancy, you don't shed at all (or almost none). As everyone else has said, the post-pregnancy shed hits about 3 months after, so 50-100 hairs per day multiplied by roughly 270 days to catch up on means that 500 a day is probably about right. When it finishes, it won't be any thinner than pre-pregnancy, it'll just be back to the same thickness as it was. Good luck with your wedding!

Sia
June 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Katze,
I'm sorry to hear about the shedding. I also experienced it after pregnancy and experienced more severe shedding recently.
I would recommend you to go to your local drugstore (Budni, Rossmann ..) and get Folic Acid supplements (Folsäure) if you're not taking them already.
I didn't do anything specific to halt the post-partum shed but for the more recent one I tried everything under the sun before reaching for folic acid. Within a week, I went from shedding 200+/- hairs on wash days to 5-10. I know I sound like a commercial but I'm not kidding.
Of course, we're all different and it could just be a case of hormones but I'd give it a go and see if it helps you.
Good luck, have a nice trip and I wish you a lovely wedding!