PDA

View Full Version : What are they thinking?

Patrycja
April 9th, 2008, 09:43 PM
My internet has been acting up for days so I've been actually getting out of my house :shocked: (j/k)

Well,I finally went to Claires the other day for the first time in ages.I was wearing my usual sockbun and while looking at the pretty toys,on the bottom shelf thingy I saw what looked like a Chore Boy scrub pad.I got a better look at it and its actually a donut they made out of this scratchy material to make sock buns happen.It looked hair scary and I just imagined how much ones hair could snag in that thing.Like I said,it reminded me of a scrub pad....:run:

I thought I would share this since LHC was the first thing I thought of once I found out what that thing was. :flower:

angelthadiva
April 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Uh, the poor hair that will likely be put up in that torture device!

sweetkandi
April 9th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Too bad you dont have a pic of it. Itd sounds interesting to see. lol

ColoradoDreamer
April 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Um, well, I bought one of those "torture devices" this evening. They are made of soft, foamy material and they do NOT catch on my hair. I bought one in a color that will blend in with my hair and not be noticeable if my hair doesn't quite cover it.

This isn't a brillo pad; it's soft foam like in those sponge rollers we used when we were kids.

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 02:07 AM
I've seen them here too and they looked soft, not brillo-esque. Since losing my hair rat, I wondered if they might be a way to get more hairdos under my belt.

They come in different colors which is nice, there's a dark gold that matches my hair, and they are like 3 euro...

ColoradoDreamer, what do you do with it?

Shanarana
April 10th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I just got one of those the other day from Claire's and they are actually really pretty good in hair. I use it to make a sock bun, and there is no pulling or anything. It looks rough, but is rather smooth and slips right in and out. It also is kind of neat because if you wanted to you could put a stick right though the material.

anna1850
April 10th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I have one. It's very hair friendly. It looks like it could snag but it never has.

angelthadiva
April 10th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Thanks for chiming in about the not-so-torturous-hair-device. I'm glad there are many who have had a positive experience with them! Let's see some action shots! :D

Miss Murphy
April 10th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I've got one too! It is actually a ring only when it is closed (it has snap-buttons on both ends), so it can be used as a roll as well. I used to use it like this to beef up a french twist, when my hair was really short :)

heidihug
April 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I've had one of those hair donuts for years, and I use it primarily to make my "Jeannie" updo (you know, I Dream of Jeannie?). It works great. I have that mesh one and a foam one. The foam one is smaller and works better for half-ups. The mesh one is nice for complete updos and you can use bobby pins to fasten it underneath, too.

FrannyG
April 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
My mum used to have one just like that when I was a kid. I remember that it did look like a scrubbing pad, but it was actually very soft. Looks can be deceiving. Now her brush rollers, on the other hand... well, those were hair and scalp torture devices. :run:

Kittee
April 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Oh interesting! I am cut off from buying any new hair toys right now though. =P

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I am so sorry if I jumped a bit on the gun to judge the hair peice.I am so glad everyone had positive experiences with it :)

I'm sorry :( :blossom: :flowers:

KellieKay
April 10th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I've had one of those hair donuts for years, and I use it primarily to make my "Jeannie" updo (you know, I Dream of Jeannie?). It works great. I have that mesh one and a foam one. The foam one is smaller and works better for half-ups. The mesh one is nice for complete updos and you can use bobby pins to fasten it underneath, too.

I've loved the Jeannie do ever since I was a little kid. Can you explain how to do it?

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I made my own sock bun. I am not about to spend money on something I can make yourself (thats easy anyways) I took a white sock then cut a piece of my black shirt, rolled it up and sewed the black to the sock. Viola it matches my hair perfectly. If my hair changes starts fading better back to my normal color I will get a small piece of fabric to match.

DrkAngel
April 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
hahaha I've seen it too! It's made of the same material you scrub pots and pans with. I touched it and was like... woh, that IS scary.

SHELIAANN1969
April 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
:shocked: I saw what looked like a Chore Boy scrub pad.:run:

I am sure those are for the "CRACK-HEADS" hahahaha

I cannot believe the absolutely ignorant items that manufacturers come up with!!

mommy2one05
April 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I saw those at one of our local claires too. But i think I prefer just a regular sock cause it's softer to the hair ( and cheaper).

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I saw those at one of our local claires too. But i think I prefer just a regular sock cause it's softer to the hair ( and cheaper).

That's exactly what I thought.I just should have said it :(

mommy2one05
April 10th, 2008, 01:21 PM
That's exactly what I thought.I just should have said it :(

haha... well great minds think alike :)

Peggy E.
April 10th, 2008, 01:42 PM
I've got one too! It is actually a ring only when it is closed (it has snap-buttons on both ends), so it can be used as a roll as well. I used to use it like this to beef up a french twist, when my hair was really short :)

I've got this, too - actually, I have several, some longer than others. Having the snaps enables it to be used as a "donut" or as a straight rat. I love mine!

Below is one of the smaller versions, snapped together donut-style, in a "sock bun" without the "sock!"

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj35/DCElliott/StPatricksDay.jpg

MemSahib
April 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Very pretty, Peggy!

WritingPrincess
April 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I always love your updos, Peggy.

jesamyn
April 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
That is a beautiful updo, Peggy. :)

Patrycja
April 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
theres no sock peggy???? wow,where do ya'll get those?