PDA

View Full Version : My ends are BAD, but I want to keep them just a little longer...

Rini
June 21st, 2009, 06:17 AM
Yes my ends are BAD. Very bad :( They are quite thin, very damaged and they tend to tangle and cling together like velcro. This is the left over damage from the henna-removal process I went through a couple of years ago and I'm impatiently awaiting for it all to grow out.

Currently, here's what I'm doing about my ends:
regular self trims (just a little bit at a time every 3 to 4 months)
oilings, pre-wash and post-wash using coconut oil and camellia oil respectively. Hair feels better with this, but does not look good if I wear it down no matter how small of an amount I use.
CO washing. It's my preferred washing method and I do think it helps.
clarifying (but I have to say that I don't think there is a build up issue as clarifying is not helping my ends feel better)
upstyles pretty much ALL the timeI'm not willing to cut ALL of the problem areas off right now as I'm finally enjoying having some decent length, enough to do some respectable buns anyway.

Here's my question: what can I do to "band aid" my ends in between trims so that I can keep them from tangling and maybe have them look nicer?

I guiltily (sp?) admit to using a silicon serum on them once or twice :o which made them look nice and totally solved my tangling issues, but I'm aware of the long term evils of this solution and the alcohol is only drying the ends out more and making them worse. I have heard of a serum by Bain de Terre which has no alcohol, so I'm going to try that next when it arrives from England.

I've also recently tried catnip tea which didn't wow me on the first attempt, but I'm going to persist with it.

What about protein treatments? I am thinking of buying a commercial one (maybe Redken CAT? any other recs for something available in Australia?). I have not done any protein treatments before, but have been reading that they can be good for chemically damaged hair to restore some strength and smoothness.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd really appreciate some help!! :shrug:

Toadstool
June 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
If you're eventually going to cut off the ends anyway,can't you just continue with the silicone serum?That way they can look good till you're ready to trim them off.

amaiaisabella
June 21st, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'd recommend the protein treatments. I have been experimenting with different ones, so I can't point you towards one specifically, but I have noticed my ends getting stronger, and I have a lot less broken ends, so they might be able to baby you through till you want to cut.

Heavenly Locks
June 21st, 2009, 06:33 AM
If you're eventually going to cut off the ends anyway,can't you just continue with the silicone serum?That way they can look good till you're ready to trim them off.

Agree! :) :flower:

Periwinkle
June 21st, 2009, 07:06 AM

Mm. If I were you, I'd just stick it with the silicone until your non-damaged hair has grown out to where the damaged ends are now and then cut them off. That would let you keep the length and have it bearable in the meantime.

I don't know how damaged the ends are, but it doesn't sound like you'll be able to save them, so you might as well be hanged for sheep as for lamb.

suicides_eve
June 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
When i had serious breakage Nexxus makes a product that worked wonders for me I believe it was called Emergence. My hair was snapping from bleach damage and it did a fantastic job of keep it together and from showing how bad my split ends really were.

i know what you mean about wanting to hold on to your length, i just took off 2 inches the other day, i couldn't stand the vleco and the sheer ends. good luck too you

hellkitty
June 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
I've read that catnip tea treatments actually work better the more you use them. I don't know: I have six cats and honestly, I'm afraid to try!!!

You might try, although I know this has totally grossed people out on another thread, Hask's henna and placenta treatment. Yes, that kind of placenta. Yes, I suppose it's gross. Please don't bash me for suggesting something you, personally, may find gross. (If everyone found it gross, would they make the product?)

All I know is my hair, particularly my ratty ends, likes the treatment. If you find it gross (sigh, again, please don't bash, just say 'no thanks I don't think I will be trying that'), maybe a cassia (colorless henna) treatment or a henna gloss could help?

HK

Amoretti
June 21st, 2009, 09:16 AM
Cones, cones and more cones. That's how I grew out from very bleached highlights 6 years ago. :)

Speckla
June 21st, 2009, 09:31 AM

That's what I was going to recommend. :)

cobblersmaid
June 21st, 2009, 09:38 AM
I agree about the 'cones. Use the serum or a coney condish on the ends only. I also find that wetting the ends often helps me.

ktani
June 21st, 2009, 09:45 AM
There are a number of silicone serums without alcohol. I have read the labels.

I agree with the others on this. If you can find a serum you like by all means use it.

Different treatments can help too every so often. You will need to remove or clarify once in a while with some products but you can also find gentle clarifying shampoos or other methods.

Shampoo should remove the serum. It has for me in the past.

You may also find the catnip enough if you persist with it but it may not be for you. Do what makes you happy and without guilt.

Isilme
June 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
not all alcohols are bad:) If the serum works for you, use it! Is your hair long enough to S&D? If you don't mind golden tones in your hair you can use cassia. Maybe try some really moisturizing leave in?

HappyKarin
June 21st, 2009, 10:14 AM
I sometimes I use Gliss Oil Nutritive serum when my hair is in a really bad. I also use coconut oil with the serum, just to give my hair the extra moisture.
Silicons is not bad for your hair, some hair needs the cones. Some hair just hate cones.
I think your hair needs it for the moment.

rach
June 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
dust trims (about 1/4inch) have helped me greatly, every 1 to 2 months which may seem often (has taken a couple hours to get every single one "sigh" ) but it gets rid of the velcro hold at the ends - it's worth it and you maintain your length :cheese: .
catnip recently i've tried and good results so far.
it is very frustrating, hang on in there.
i understand fully where your coming from and it's depressing, i almost gave up on believing i could make it past a length and these things are defiantly making a difference now.

:hatchet: search and destroy those evil splits, they deserve everything they get.

Melisande
June 21st, 2009, 12:19 PM
What about catnip rinses? I baby my ends with all kinds of magical mixtures but catnip rinses are very helpful. Oh sorry I saw only now that you did try it. Continue - you have to play around a bit with strength and times. Dunk your ends in catnip mixture and let it soak in ;-) My ends love that.

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't know if they offer this treatment at your local salon(you may need to research which salons in your area offer it), but when I truly need to pull out all the stops for an intensive treatment I will do the Nigelle LX deep intensive treatment at the salon that I go to. It is a four step process beginning with the treatment shampoo, then the moisture treatment which is rinsed out, then a hair nourishment is sprayed on, and finally a scalp stimulant is applied.
This is the kind of treatment they use on clients who have wrecked havoc on their hair thro Japanese straightening(which I don't and have never done, but still even someone like me with healthy hair loves to further strengthen their hair!) and let me tell you the results are astonishing. On my own hair the results last for over a month after doing the process just once! Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

http://www.milbon-usa.com/home.cfm?milbon=cpnigelle-lx

renarok
June 21st, 2009, 12:56 PM
I just wanted to say I'm sorry your ends are getting so bad. I understand about not wanting to lose length that you've worked hard for.

I get more successful growth from conservative trimming than I do from babying damaged ends.

I suggest 1/4 to 1/2 inch trims every couple of months. You will really see great results.

I also like coney serums. If you use them as directed. Not all are created equal though. I don't like Biosilk at all, but LOVE CHI silk infusion.

maskedrose
June 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
I feel your pain - I just posted a thread about this a little earlier. I'm going for a 3" trim so I can be done with them already, but if you want to hang on to those ends for awhile longer then by all means embrace cones. Thats what I've been doing for the last 4 or 5 months. I CO with Suave or VO5, then do a second application of a rich coney conditioner on the last half of my length. Its really helped them look fairly presentable. I think if I had stuck with no-cone I would never have been able to keep them as long as I have.

granitbaby
June 21st, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'm in a very similar situation as you Rini. I removed henna about 2 years ago and now I suffer from really bad ends. My bleached ends are beyond repair, but before I trim them off I want to have gained as much length as possible. My plan is to use cone serum on my ends as long as I can stand an then trim. I think the end is near soon, I have reached 26" and can't keep on disguising my ends much longer. The trim is near:cool:

My advice is to trim when you feel you can loose damaged ends without feeling sorry for the length you loose. If you aren't there yet, keep using the serum you like.

The the fact that I started to henna again last year is an other story...:p

wahmof9
June 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Yes my ends are BAD. Very bad :( They are quite thin, very damaged and they tend to tangle and cling together like velcro. This is the left over damage from the henna-removal process I went through a couple of years ago and I'm impatiently awaiting for it all to grow out.

oilings, pre-wash and post-wash using coconut oil and camellia oil respectively. Hair feels better with this, but does not look good if I wear it down no matter how small of an amount I use.
clarifying (but I have to say that I don't think there is a build up issue as clarifying is not helping my ends feel better)
upstyles pretty much ALL the timeI'm not willing to cut ALL of the problem areas off right now as I'm finally enjoying having some decent length, enough to do some respectable buns anyway.

Here's my question: what can I do to "band aid" my ends in between trims so that I can keep them from tangling and maybe have them look nicer?

I guiltily (sp?) admit to using a silicon serum on them once or twice :o which made them look nice and totally solved my tangling issues, but I'm aware of the long term evils of this solution and the alcohol is only drying the ends out more and making them worse. I have heard of a serum by Bain de Terre which has no alcohol, so I'm going to try that next when it arrives from England.

I've also recently tried catnip tea which didn't wow me on the first attempt, but I'm going to persist with it.

What about protein treatments? I am thinking of buying a commercial one (maybe Redken CAT? any other recs for something available in Australia?). I have not done any protein treatments before, but have been reading that they can be good for chemically damaged hair to restore some strength and smoothness.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'd really appreciate some help!! :shrug:
No, no suggestions but I have to say your hair looks just beautiful on this picture as do you!:)

Camee
June 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
I'm curious about this self-trimming. How well does it work on extremely straight hair?

hellkitty
June 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm curious about this self-trimming. How well does it work on extremely straight hair?

Once you get the hang of it, very well, actually. I think there's a tutorial somewhere. I make a nape of neck pony, and then another ponytail band a few inches above the ends. Double check with it behind your back to make sure the second pony is *level* with the ground. Bring it around over one shoulder, pinching that second ponytail so the hair doesn't slid around in it. (What you're trying to avoid is how when you make a ponytail to one side of your head, the near side is 'longer' in the tail and the far side is 'shorter'). Twist to make a fairly tight twist, and then Hassan Chop! It gives a fairly straight bottom edge. You may want to enlist a *VERY TRUSTED* friend to tidy up the very bottom.

I don't wear my hair down, so I don't really fret about it, but if I take my hair out now and look in the mirror I can see that my ends make a fairly straight line across the fanny.

Read up on it--it's not as hard as it looks!

HK

Rini
June 21st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Oh thank you all for the replies! :flowers:

I think I will continue with the coney serum. What the heck, I think I'll give a coney shampoo and conditioner combo a go! I haven't used cones in years, but perhaps I need to now? When I used henna, I had tangle-free shiny hair and did not need anything for shine or smoothness, but now is a different story :rolleyes:

Any recs for a good coney poo/CO combo?

I'm also going to do a protein treatment. I'm going to buy one tomorrow from Price Attack (the guy in there is pretty good about recommending things, even though he knows I'll never be his client :D ). I'll follow that up with a deep coney conditioning treatment.

Cones cones cones!! mwahahaha!! :evil:

I also like the dipping the ends in catnip idea (Melisande), so that will be next on the things to try.

Good idea about more regular trims too. I actually have increased my trims (was only twice a year, and now is 4 times a year), but I'm going to increase this to maybe every 6 weeks? The thing is, even right after I trim, there is not much improvement :(

catfish
June 21st, 2009, 10:14 PM
I agree catnip will help and also cones, but I don't know about going cones all over. If you experience dryness from cones then I would keep cones only where they are needed, that way when the ends are trimmed off later you wont be dealing with new cone dryness.;) Just a thought.

Shermie Girl
June 22nd, 2009, 12:34 AM

I feel your pain. Presently my ends are so bad that they are gummy and stick together when damp. Down, my hair looks like broom straw. Up, not quite as bad.

I am also hanging on to hard won length, reluctant to just bite the bullet and get rid of the last of the nasty. I just got to the point that I can bun my hair, again and I just don't want to give that up. So... I am just wearing it up all the time, letting it grow and contemplating starting tiny self trims, soon. It is my goal to have the last of the bad, wrecked hair gone by the end of the year, early next.

I treat my fresh, new hair very well but I don't fret too much over my ends. Since they are structurally destroyed, treatments and so forth are a waste of time and money. I use cones to give me as much slip as possible for wet (and I do mean wet) combing and to help it look somewhat normal.

You could do protein, couldn't hurt. Cones are a damaged hair's best friend. Seriously, if not for cones, my hair would look like an explosion in a broom factory, not just a broom. :lol:

I don't actually have a huge amount of advise... I just wanted to commiserate and natter a bit. :lol:

:grouphug:

spidermom
June 22nd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Oh thank you all for the replies! :flowers:

I think I will continue with the coney serum. What the heck, I think I'll give a coney shampoo and conditioner combo a go! I haven't used cones in years, but perhaps I need to now? When I used henna, I had tangle-free shiny hair and did not need anything for shine or smoothness, but now is a different story :rolleyes:

Any recs for a good coney poo/CO combo?

I'm also going to do a protein treatment. I'm going to buy one tomorrow from Price Attack (the guy in there is pretty good about recommending things, even though he knows I'll never be his client :D ). I'll follow that up with a deep coney conditioning treatment.

Cones cones cones!! mwahahaha!! :evil:

I also like the dipping the ends in catnip idea (Melisande), so that will be next on the things to try.

Good idea about more regular trims too. I actually have increased my trims (was only twice a year, and now is 4 times a year), but I'm going to increase this to maybe every 6 weeks? The thing is, even right after I trim, there is not much improvement :(

Do be careful with the cones. More isn't better. I've found that if I use a coney serum sparingly over left-in cone-free conditioner (my usual, not a special leave-in type) and/or oil, my ends are so easy to detangle and look/feel terrific. But if I use a coney shampoo followed by a coney conditioner, by about the end of the 2nd week my ends turn to Velcro.

Gilly
June 22nd, 2009, 02:32 AM

This is exactly the tactic I am going to employ to get to my goal length, I have just had it cut really short as my ends would get really nasty and I would end up with a step in the back of my hair where the really fried damaged layers would not sit right:rolleyes:
I am currently trialling Nioxin but I am also going to add a cone serum or cream for the ends, I'm thinking maybe DeLorenzo rejuvin8 the ends, I have heard good things about how rich it is so it sounds like the perfect way to keep the ends looking good enough until they are long enough to lose:cheese:

Lize
June 22nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
Rini: I can feel your pain! I am in the same boat.. I have a lot of highlights and on top of that, layers that make my ends damaged and thin. I have decided to stick with them until I reach waist, and that will take almost two years. I have been using cones lately but now I have decided to actually try to go cone free becasue I think cones flattens my hair and steals a lot of volume. I have recently discovered that oiling works very well on those ends, just like you said that it does for you. I don't really have any advise that has not already been said. Just want to say good luck in sticking with your ends even though they're damaged. I know how hard it is having the constant urge to cut them off, but still wanting the length more. :) :flowers:

Here's a link to instructions: http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim
I have straight hair and I think it works very well.

magpielaura
June 22nd, 2009, 05:11 AM

I vote for the above too! If you will eventually trimming the crispy ends off why worry what the long-term effects are as long as it keeps the ends nice for now? If you don't think your hair overall likes long-term cone use keep the cones on the ends only.

My ends are a bit tatty. I have been cutting about half an inch every 2 months since January, which works out at roughly half the growth for that period. I might go to cutting the same amount every month for a while to grow out some crispy bits. Once the worst has gone I'll be trimming a lot less, maybe not at all.

jojo
June 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
When my hair gets like this I fine coneless conditioners work better for me and I leave a little in the ends. Olive oil on the very ends is very good too.

hennared
June 22nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
My ends are like this, and I tried nearly everything to smooth them a bit. Then I heard about these Wen "cleansing conditioners". It's pricey stuff, but I read a lot of rave reviews, and decided to try it. Well, I did not like washing my scalp with it, since it weighed down my thin hair too much, but I *love* what it did to my ends. A few days and even a regular sulfate free shampoo later, and they are still nice. Since I know it works for my ends so well, and really the rest of my hair, the bottle will last me a good while!

Gothic Lolita
June 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I've a few split ends and my ends start glueing themselves together as they're in need for a trim. I want to wait until mid-August because then I'll be back from Italy and the ocean and heat. I see no reason in cutting damaged ends that are about to get more damaged from the elements.
I thought of trying out something coney on the ends, since they'll be trimmed off anyway, but can cones travel up the hair shaft? I don't want them on my length!

Tracyarts
June 23rd, 2009, 07:17 AM
I'm having the same internal debate right now. The bottom 6" of my length is heavily damaged from a badly botched salon color job I've been growing out for quite some time. It's just coarse and thin and stringy. And has gotten worse and worse over the time I have been growing it too. I guess once that much damage is done, it's just downhill from there.

I almost always wear my hair down, so they are very noticeable compared to the healthier new growth. I can work with them to make them look a little better, but they still look bad. I had made a decision that I would just deal with it and wait until it got long enough that cutting the trashed ends off in one fell swoop wouldn't be overly traumatic. It's not there yet, but I am so sick of looking at the ends that I am going to trim a couple inches later this week to see if that makes it bearable again.

Tracy

C_Bookworm
June 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I've read a lot about how catnip helps. Haven't actually tried it myself, though