PDA

View Full Version : My....my HAIR!!?? It's..it's WOW!!

MandaMom2Three
June 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Oh I'm so HAPPY!!!! :cheese: I tried going no cones before and I hated it, frizzy, dry, tangley, MESS!!! Hated it. But when my hair started to frizz out no matter WHAT I did, I decided I needed to get to know my hair for what it really was, not coated with cones, and see if we couldn't work out our differences :D . At first it did the same thing, frizzy and dry and gross. But I decided I was going to push through! So I started intense moisture treatments and more dedicated oiling. I also started putting my hair up on a daily basis, and I stopped using sulfates, I didn't want to use ANYTHING that might be harsh on these locks!

I am SO glad I decided to stick with it!! It's only been a week or so, but my hair is already unbelievably improved! (of course anyone who remembers when I came to LHC knows my hair tends to respond to things unusually fast, which is good because patience is NOT a virtue I am well cultured in LOL). First I noticed it wasn't splitting near as bad, usually every day I have tons of splits to S&D out. Then I noticed that even though it LOOKED dry and frizzy, for the first time, EVER, it FELT silky soft, right to the ends! And today was the kicker, I had my hair up in a fakkare twist and it fell out (hair is feeling a little thinner, but I'd rather thinner hair in good shape than hair that appears thicker due to damage!) and I noticed that without ANYTHING in my hair, it was less frizzy than I've seen it in years, even when USING cones, and was soft, silky and shiny!

Tonight I conditioned, even though it wasn't my day to do it, because I wanted to try a new oil and I've found damp oiling works best for me. Even when using a super coney conditioner, I have ALWAYS had to detangle first with my wide toothed comb, and there are a number of tangles to work out, then I use my wood bristle brush to brush in some oils. Well I forgot to take my comb into the bathroom with me (it was in the livingroom) so I thought I'd attempt at detangling with the brush...the brush went through my hair like a hot knife through butter!!! Not even a SINGLE tangle!!! NEVER, no matter HOW much cones or leave ins or whatever I've used, has my hair been that smooth and tangle free after a washing!

I'm going to continue to put my hair up daily and my current hair care routine (no cones, no sulfates, every other day CO, once a week shampoo bar and acid rinse, oilings and frequent moisture and protein treatments) I think I've finally struck gold :D

Eventually I want to experiment with catnip to help with the splits even more and monistat to hopefully get some more thickness, but even if my hair didn't get any different than it is right now....I think I could live happily ever after with this hair!!!! :disco::happydance::cheer::bottomsup:

Ash
June 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Congratulations on finding a routine that works for you!

Debra83
June 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
pics please. I'm visual.

Debra83
June 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
AND congratulations!!!! I know how you feel!

GlennaGirl
June 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I am so happy for you! Isn't it fun to realize you love your hair? It's just one small part of yourself to love. Something to make your day a little brighter. It's a good thing. :)

MandaMom2Three
June 20th, 2009, 10:34 PM
I'll try to get a nice pic tomorrow :)

ericthegreat
June 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I am so proud of you for sticking with the no 'cones method of COing. Cones only act as a filler to mask damage, they certainly don't protect your hair from it and in the long run cones can actually cause your hair to become even more brittle and dry to the point of breakage.

I myself almost never use cones, and I strongly believe that the lack of buildup in my hair is why it is so strong, there is nothing to suffocate the cuticles on my hair strands so natural moisture can reach all the way thro to my hair.

Debra83
June 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I'll be logging in tomorrow for sure!!!!

Heavenly Locks
June 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM
Awesome!! Doesn't it feel awesome to hit the 'sweet spot' with your hair...for so long we fight it and it's great to just relax and like our hair! :flower:

Unofficial_Rose
June 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
Excellent! It is trial and error with new ways until you find something that's right.

I've been alternating cones and no-cones this month as an experiment. Makes you realise "How did I have the feel of this stuff on my hair all those years?" because no-cones feels much silkier.

Maud
June 21st, 2009, 02:18 AM
Congatulations on finding a good routine!

AnnaMarie
June 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM
Congratulations! Can't wait to see pics also :p

SimplyLonghair
June 21st, 2009, 04:45 AM
I want pics too! I love it when you find something that really works. Right now I am in love with my hair too, so I understand.:D

Lize
June 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
Hmmm... this makes med want to try cone free again.... I can never decide! :D

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 05:58 AM
Uggggggg, sorry everyone, you'll have to wait a while for pics, I'm down with a case of food poisoning today :( . Not looking so good :brains: Hopefully it wont last too long, and thankfully only me and my son got sick and not the whole family, stupid McDonalds :mad:

Fethenwen
June 21st, 2009, 06:04 AM
Uggggggg, sorry everyone, you'll have to wait a while for pics, I'm down with a case of food poisoning today :( . Not looking so good :brains: Hopefully it wont last too long, and thankfully only me and my son got sick and not the whole family, stupid McDonalds :mad:
Oh no! That sucks. Stupid McDonalds :/ Hope you are feeling better!

Congrats by the way for finding a routine that works for you! It sure is an awesome feeling, I know it took many months of experimenting before I fell on about the same routine as you are having.
I do love the kitten soft silky feeling my hair feels like right now :cloud9:

janeytilllie
June 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

Congratulations on finding a good hair routine :)

I'm very sorry you have food poisoning. Hope you feel better soon :grouphug:

LutraLutra
June 21st, 2009, 07:04 AM
Good stuff, it's great when hair just 'works'. :)

demitasse
June 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Congratulations! And I hope you feel better. Ick. :)

gmdiaz
June 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Well, I know you must feel like total hell. . .but at least your hair looks great! lol

I am going through the no cones transition. . .pushing through to the other side!

I am so happy for you and can't wait to see your results!

Fractalsofhair
June 21st, 2009, 09:06 AM
Congrats! I've also noticed less frizz since going cone free. (I still have frizz, but it's not as common and on days when the hair would be frizzy before, it's now curly!)

LilyMunster
June 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Well, it will be easy to wear your hair up. Really, I hope u and son are well now.

AnneAdeline
June 21st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Congrats on finding a good hair routine!

Hope you and your son feel better soon. Food poisoning really sucks. :flower:

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Yayyyyy! Your post made me smile. It's wonderful to "feel" the enthusiasm you exude at finding a routine that is working for you : )

Nyghtingale
June 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hope you feel better soon./hugs

wackyredtangles
June 21st, 2009, 09:48 PM
Congrats! I recently went cone free myself, and even though I loved the difference at first I'm finding it gets better and better. =)

Feel better!

MandaMom2Three
June 21st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks all, my son was better after 1 big heave and 2 charcoal pills.
Me... I've been flat on my back on the couch racked with pain (or I was doubled over in the bathroom...racked with pain :rolleyes: ) all day. It's almost midnight and after throwing up everything I've eaten for the past decade and popping charcoal pills like candy I'm juuuuuust starting to function again! I went and did an SMT to console myself :D I'll try to get a good pic tomorrow :flower:

catfish
June 21st, 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm so sorry you feel bad, :flowers: get better soon.

At least your hair is happy:D Congratulations on sticking through.

Moonstruck
June 21st, 2009, 11:45 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear that you're on your road to recovery!

And on the road to posting pictures! Hahaha. I'm glad to hear that conefree is panning out for you - I'm really always pleased to hear of when people push past that initial hair freakout zone. It's just SOO worth it!

MandaMom2Three
June 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry the pic is a little blurry, it's the best one I was able to get today!

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/nocones001.jpg

JamieLeigh
June 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Yay!!! Congratulations on finding your "gold"! :D I've been loving CO since January, and I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to -cones. Discovering coconut oil has made it even better, lol.

Moonstruck
June 24th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Gorgeoussss! And I really like your shirt, haha, that shade of red is divine.

Aditi
June 24th, 2009, 01:14 AM
You hair looks great congrats on finding your perfect hair routine and get well soon.

BlndeInDisguise
June 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Yay! So glad you found something that works for you. Your hair is gorgeous! It looks nice and soft and frizz-free. Hope you are all recovered!

Armelle
June 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM
This sounds great! I've been afraid to get rid of cones and sulfates so it's nice to hear a success story!

patissegrietje
June 24th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Reading your post made me smile from ear to ear :) It feels so good to have soft and silky hair, wish mine would behave like that more often ;-)
Your hair looks great! :flowers:

MandaMom2Three
June 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM
:lol: I wonder, if Aang complimented Azula on her hair care results I wonder if she'd be nicer to him :rollin: (sorry all who don't watch Avatar, Arrmelle & I's avatars (*snort*) are both characters of the same show :D )

And thanks all, finding the right routine just makes you wanna go http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww235/MandyTFM/weekenddanceplz.gif

CurlyLolo
June 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM
***WILD APPLAUSE***

Conrats! :)

EvaSimone
June 24th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Good for you! :happydance: I am always happy when someone goes no cone and likes it!

No cones and sulfates is honestly my holy grail routine. Before when I was in highschool I had virgin hair that was rarely heat styled and I had tons of splits. Now the last eight-twelve inches of my hair has been dyed and heat styled more times than I can count yet it doesn't have even close to the amount of splits I used to have. The only difference between now and then is I am no cone and no sulfate, I also have hair that's hip where in highschool it was only BSL.

Gladtobemom
June 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Congratulations!

I was the same way, totally addicted to cones, serums especially. Now my hair just loves coconut oil and I can use cones a bit with good results. What I found out was that anything with "hydrolized protein" was what made my hair so crunchy and frizzy . . . especially when mixed with cones.