PDA

View Full Version : Scariest video on youtube...

Dementia1013
June 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I typed in 'hair styling' on youtube and came across a truly terrifying video....
Warning: not for the squeamish. It's just hair, but I think I actually shrieked outloud when I came across it.

Enjoy. Or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xSjKhClPGk

Flotsum
June 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
My hair would never forgive me.

WelshLocks
June 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Can someone erase those 2 minutes of my life?I'd rather not ever see something so blasphemic (I'm making it a word right now)in my life.Why would you ever do that to your hair?Gross.

Dars
June 20th, 2009, 08:01 PM
:agape: That is very scary.

Dementia1013
June 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I'd seen those type of hairstyles before. I'd always thought they were wigs though....

Sarah4983
June 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I have a confession-

this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFI9bN-cNc

Was my inspiration about 6 months ago... heh.....

I even went out and bought a teasing comb, hair spray, and had my hairstylist cut my hair into layers as to get the height at the top of my head.

I did it maybe 5 times when I realized how badly I was destroying my hair....

Lixie
June 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Heh, my hair would probably never untangle if I did that amount of hairspraying and backcombing. I like seeing people having fun with their hair though. :)

Kirin
June 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
One thing to say....... don't light a match lol.

NiAosSi
June 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
That's some serious back combing!

Natalia
June 20th, 2009, 08:28 PM
OMG! I coldn t get past the second section of backcombing.....just.....oh the poor hair......

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The backcombing itself isn't the harmful part of that. It's when she tries to comb over the back combing to smooth it out, and the fact it was probably flat ironed in the beginning. (I sometimes tease my hair like Robert Smith from the Cure, old school goth hair, taking it out is the harmful part and I have to use tons of conditioner and a wide toothed comb, a fine toothed comb etc. It works well on the worst of the frizz days, since there is very minimal backcombing. XD) That being said, back combing is bad for your hair, and it's horrid if you try to detangle it without tons of conditioner in your hair and water. And THAT is not a style you should do daily, or even weekly. But if there's a big concert... It will be mechanical damage, but it will be much much much less than if you bleached your hair, then flatironed and blow dried it. This being said, I have hair that is damaged VERY easily by heat and bleach, and back combing hasn't caused damage beyond what a scrunchie would cause. (I've back combed my hair for maybe a year before I bleached it and blew dried it. Guess which one caused my hair to break off for the most part! XD)

jessie58
June 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Same damaging stuff as the teased lacquered beehives and bouffants of the 60's. Just a new look.

tigerlily896
June 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Good Lord! yikes, thats all I can say... haha.

GlassEyes
June 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The backcombing itself isn't the harmful part of that.

Uh, no. It's totally harmful. Backcombing shreads the cuticle, especially in combination with hairspray, which makes hair stick together on a molecular level.

That said, it's actually pretty damn cool, and just because WE don't want to do it doesn't make it disgusting. I love visual kei. :rolleyes:

nancy33936
June 20th, 2009, 09:00 PM
OMG, My hair would kill me if I did that.

coolbreeze212
June 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Good Lord! yikes, thats all I can say... haha.

My thoughts exactly.

But, hey, I lived through the 80s and "big hair"...the teasing, the massive amounts of hairspray...whoa.

Funny story.....back then I was on the "big hair" wagon. I remember going to the pool and dunking under the water about 3 times before my hair even looked wet......yeah, seriously.

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Glasseyes, from what I understand you'd have to use a VERY fine toothed comb.(Not a regular fine toothed comb, but some people do use special lice type combs for backcombing. I often use a regularly spaced comb to get this effect,and I can even get it with a wide toothed comb!) That being said, brushing over it with the hairspray in it does remove the cuticle and well damages hair a lot, since when you matt your hair like that, you're pulling on it harshly to remove the knots, which does cause serious problems. Hairspray does make hair stick together on a molecular level, which is why it's best do to it AFTER you back comb the hair, so although it's sticking together it's not being forced to move and rip.

I could see some serious issues if you hairsprayed before, and that could strip the cuticle, but if you then are EXTREMELY careful removing the hairspray and knots, you probably won't have problems with damage. That being said, any hair style that relies on products and well, knotting your hair to a degree where you have to be CAREFUL removing the style, it's not hair friendly. Think dreadlocks but on a smaller scale. It's not hair helpful, but it's certainly less harmful than many styling aids many people do, and it's the removal that is a SERIOUS issue. If I tried to comb through my hair after back combing it,without tons of conditioner and saturating it with water, starting with a wide toothed comb and working my way up to a fine toothed one, I would have severe damage. It's not protective at all, but it's much much less harmful than heatstyling from my experience and understanding of how the hair works. Now, what she is doing is using an extremely fine toothed comb, hairspray before and then combing after. That's bad.

Using a moderately fine toothed comb, hairspray after teasing, and no combing after, and very careful removal is not terribly dangerous. It's not safe to do on a daily basis though, since hairspray is very drying, and although the backcombing isn't too dangerous, it's not beneficial due to all the knots(You will lose some hair removing it, but if removed VERY carefully, it's not going to be a ton beyond normal shedding, so if done occasionally is harmless). I would definitely not suggest anyone do this on a daily basis, and to be extremely careful when doing a wild style like that. However, many women in the past(Think Marie A. hair!) did use backcombing and rarely washed their hair(Very good for the hair actually), and well, they were able to grow long hair. It's much much less dangerous than using a 400 degree flat iron on your hair, though it's not a style that is going to help protect your hair. Definitely use caution when doing any styles that involve tons of product, and it is a fun style, but this is based off mostly my own experience with this sort of styling and comparing it to blowdrying and bleaching my hair. It really all is in the removal of the style, and well, it's not a protective hairstyle at all.

I think people have hair that gets damaged differently. For some people, they can bleach etc and be fine, and heat style even. For others, something like a ponytail in the same place causes damage, and for others it doesn't. If you have hair that tends to be damaged easily by mechanical damage, this is not a good hairstyle! My hair definitely seems to have more issues with chemical damage than mechanical, but with hair, I would not suggest teasing the delicate ends EVER. The roots tend to be fairly strong, along with the first few inches, hence why most people only backcomb that. I think the biggest issue with many retro back combed hair styles is that they were brushed over, and often improperly removed. Personally, I like back combing my hair upon occasion, esp if I'm having a horrid hair day when it poofs like that naturally, so a teensy bit of back combing and a spritz of hairspray solves the issue of how can I get my hair to lie flat.

I'm also a type III for the most part, even with 75%+ of my ends broken off due to one bleaching, so a few hairs lost isn't a big deal, but a bleaching and blowdrying for a month was enough to make a dent and well, you still can't see thru my hair in the back, and in the front, it's broken off to chin. For my hair at least,back combing was harmless, but 1 mild bleach and 1 month of blow drying was enough to cause that effect. That's just my hair and my understanding of how it would work. If you really want to protect your hair, updos are the way to go!

lyria
June 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Wow. First that is way more effort than I have the patience for on a given morning.
Second, while the look is interesting, I couldn't help but feel that it hid the girl almost completely (but I tend to gravitate towards a more natural look; I'm one of those girls who feels like chapstick is makeup:rolleyes:).
Finally, she knows that what she is doing is bad for her hair AND THE ENVIRONMENT!:nono:
With all those chemicals on her head, I'd say the odds are good that she will be bald in a year!:(

misstwist
June 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Did this remind anybody else of this Bugs Bunny cartoon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLdKU4JCYqg&feature=related

MandaMom2Three
June 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
If I can do that with a wig, I'm so doing that :D

GlennaGirl
June 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Teenagers today have so much fun. If I were a teen today, I would absolutely try this. I'd wind up with bald patches but I'd try it. I did tons of incredibly harmful things to my hair when I was younger and though I wouldn't go back to doing that now...the "try anything" attitude was fun. :D

NickalNack
June 20th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I can hardly watch videos of people flat-ironing anymore without wincing... much less THAT.

Ugh... I watched her back comb for three seconds and was done. lol

GlassEyes
June 20th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Glasseyes, from what I understand you'd have to use a VERY fine toothed comb.(Not a regular fine toothed comb, but some people do use special lice type combs for backcombing. -snip-
o-o;;

You know, I really do want to read whatever it is you have to say about backcombing, but I'd appreciate it if you'd separate your comments into paragraphs. A wall of text is not exactly easy on my eyes...and I'm eighteen. :flowers:

MuzicalH3rb
June 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. It would be the Micheal Jackson Pepsi moment all over again.

nowxisxforever
June 20th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hahaha I remember when I listened to visual kei *music* all the time... I wasn't a fan of that look, but it's neat to be able to see how it's done.

That said, OUCH, HER POOR HAIR! :[

rose_in_bloom
June 20th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Wow...that's...awful. O_O

Wanderer09
June 20th, 2009, 11:35 PM
*cringes*

It looks good. It really does. If I wasn't focused on having long and healthy hair, I might do something similar for fun.

But...

THE BACKCOMBING!!! *winces*

Not to mention the fact that her hair has probably been bleached within an inch of its life to get that vibrant pink colour to stay...

Stubborn
June 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
wow that made me cringe lol

joyellen
June 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
After watching that I suddenly want cotton candy... :p

Naava
June 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I really don't see anything that bad in the video. I mean, if you do not plan to grow your hair long and you are happy with the way it looks, why would you need to be gentle with your hair? Of course for people who wish to have long and healthy hair, treating hair nicely is much more important.

mira-chan
June 21st, 2009, 12:10 AM
o-o;;

You know, I really do want to read whatever it is you have to say about backcombing, but I'd appreciate it if you'd separate your comments into paragraphs. A wall of text is not exactly easy on my eyes...and I'm eighteen. :flowers:
Dyslexic seconding this.

If anyone wants to send me their lightly backcombed hair I'll show you the damage with microscope pictures of it. Any movement against the cuticle will cause roughness at the cuticle edge. This includes pulling a tied ponytail tighter, or even rubbing the hair backwards with your hand. It just depends on how much roughing it causes. A lice comb will cause more damage than a wider tooth one, but there will still be damage.

As for the video, I wouldn't do this to my hair for various reasons, but the style looks interesting and I like many visual kei styles. People get really creative with some of them.

dragonfrog
June 21st, 2009, 12:23 AM
I think maybe Nightshade had magnified pictures of backcombing damage? Perhaps she'll stop by and share :)

lizzyjo
June 21st, 2009, 12:56 AM
This style actually looks like a lot of fun to me! I'm just glad it wasn't popular when I was in high school, or else I would have probably tried it. To each their own, I say. Some people think we're weird for growing long hair because it's not "stylish" or whatever. I love when people express themselves through their physical apperance.

Nightshade
June 21st, 2009, 01:30 AM
I think maybe Nightshade had magnified pictures of backcombing damage? Perhaps she'll stop by and share :)

Oh, this one? :twisted:

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_72/hair_twh_72_02.jpg

This hair has been backcombed, meaning it was combed against the lay of the cuticle. Think of petting a cat backwards, against the fur. The cuticle of your hair gets raise just the same way as the fur, but doesn't go back down as easy. This can lead to chipped scales, or can pull them off entirely, exposing the cortex it was supposed to protect.

Heavenly Locks
June 21st, 2009, 01:39 AM
I think the style is CUTE and it looks fun and super creative :D ...but MY hair screamed.

*pets hair* It's ok lovely, momma's not going to hurt you...

dragonfrog
June 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM

This hair has been backcombed, meaning it was combed against the lay of the cuticle. Think of petting a cat backwards, against the fur. The cuticle of your hair gets raise just the same way as the fur, but doesn't go back down as easy. This can lead to chipped scales, or can pull them off entirely, exposing the cortex it was supposed to protect.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of! Thanks! Those puffy little bits of cortex peeking out are freaky.

Finoriel
June 21st, 2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, do tastes vary :bigeyes: widely! :lol:
But to each their own :shrug:.

Nothing I would want to look like and obviously I would never do that to my hair, but it looks kind of fascinating. In a weird kind of way :gabigrin: like watching my cat eating a mouse. *shudder*

Maud
June 21st, 2009, 02:06 AM
ew, that was scary! why would you do that to your hair? i didn't even like how it looked... I thought that person was a bit scary too.

MermaidGirl
June 21st, 2009, 02:12 AM

I think what cracks me up everytime Nightshade posts one of these horror hair photos is the little evil smiley she uses!

I used to bleach, blowfry, curl, tease, and spray my hair within an inch of its life when "big" hair was in style. I recently came across some pics and cannot believe I got my hair that tall and wide - it was truly gravity defying! Sebastian Spritz Forte was such a great product for making my hair "bullet-proof" (as I used to call it - it truly was wind-tunnel ready hair!). I also have some old pics that show the broken, damaged hair I was left with. I would have been all over this style or ones like it if I was still in high school and/or still doing the club scene. Needless to say, my hair is thanking me that I'm over that; its in the best shape of its life right now.

RavennaNight
June 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
Hey, she's having fun. :shrug: Long healthy hair isn't for everyone. I wouldn't backcomb, I just don't like big hair on me. Watching that didn't make me squeamish or bug at all. Its just a hairstyle. Now if it was a wad of gum, then I'd be like :run:.

Desideira
June 21st, 2009, 05:10 AM
:eyebrows: hahahahhhaaha:D:D:D:poot: lol

this is like a hair horror:) I know what you did to your hair last summer:D

I thought I used to treat my ahir badly but now I feel so innocent:)

ilovelonghair
June 21st, 2009, 05:16 AM
What I don't get is: why not use a cheap wig to achief this hairstyle? Saves time ;)

Gothic Lolita
June 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Eeek! Now that was scary! I don't know.... it didn't even long good or cool and I wonder why her hair stays up like this. Maybe because she damaged it often enough.... I too think she really needs a wig, her poor hair. Imagine, first the obivious chemical hair dye, probably bleach underneath and then the backcombing and possible heat styling.

Madame J
June 21st, 2009, 05:49 AM
The one thing that really stood out to me is the fact that 1.) she actually has longer hair than a lot of the other visual-kei and J-rock YouTube videos on the sidebar (and the J-rock style fans I know), and 2.) she makes a point of saying she realizes this is incredibly damaging to the hair before the video even starts. I mean, short hair can take more abuse because it *doesn't* need to be handled like old lace, because it isn't -- it has a faster turnaround.

So I wonder if she actually knows all the ways to take care of her hair and treat it right so she can maintain shoulder-length hair and still dye it (um, we personally know people with long, gorgeous, totally unnaturally-colored hair), possibly iron it, and backcomb it like this occasionally.

But yeah, when she's going back through and combing over the backcombed parts and hits a little knot and just rips through it in a fraction of a second instead of gently teasing it out, yeah, I went :eek: a little.

Fethenwen
June 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM

Ahhahhah :p yeah!

Well, she will grow older and away from that period of hair abuse sooner or later I guess, and lets hope she has any hair left by then :) She reminds me of myself when I was 15 something, I had this short hair which was a nest of hairspray and color, it was fun but... never again.

enfys
June 21st, 2009, 06:06 AM
It loocool but since it also looks like a wig it may as well be one. If she saved all her hairspray money she could buy a decent one.

That's the lazy voice in me. I'm sure she doesn't do this too often, maybe just a Friday night? And the rest of the week her heads covered in conditioner or eggs or soimething!

janeytilllie
June 21st, 2009, 06:14 AM
That is a scary video. http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/228/6/2/Scared_emote_by_feawen.gif

It must be horrible brushing it out at night http://www.13thsog.com/peace/emoticons/ouch.gif

nastasska
June 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Some things never change :lol: Hair Spray and Back Combing:p

Apart from that I have no idea what the hairstyle is supposed to be and the music that accompanied it was but a horrible noise to me

I'm getting old aren't I:spitting:

Toadstool
June 21st, 2009, 06:36 AM
I used to do that all the time when I was a student. I was a big Robert Smith fan.
I don't get the shock.
What is visual-kei?

nastasska
June 21st, 2009, 06:39 AM
I used to do that all the time when I was a student. I was a big Robert Smith fan.
I don't get the shock.
What is visual-kei?

The Cure:cheese:

I thought it was Hawaiian at first :rollin:

Deb!
June 21st, 2009, 06:50 AM

As God is my witness, I have NOT clicked onto this Bugs Bunny cartoon but know it has to be the "interesting monster with the interesting hairdo".

OMG, you hit the nail on the teased head!

When watching the hair video, I was actually thinking more along the lines of "TRICK OR TREAT"!!

LutraLutra
June 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Tee hee, I used to have hair that colour and texture in my late teens. It was fun, and I'm glad I did it. :D

Heavenly Locks
June 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
What is visual-kei?

I looked it up and it comes from Japanese sub culture. There is lot of music here and the bands dress up in flabouyant elaborate costumes and wild colored hair to set themselves apart. It means "Visual Style" :) Apparently it started back in the 80's.

Here's a picture -

http://www.bigtakeover.com/images/140.jpg

and

http://img465.imageshack.us/i/gazwallie7ka.jpg/

or

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/Slashah/VisualKei.jpg

I see a similar look in most of the photos and also a lot of androgyny...

vampodrama
June 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Ah, visual kei hair.

Been there done that.

I'm sure some old school goths (are there any on board?) can also tell fun tales about their Big Goth Hair.

Wind
June 21st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I am honestly in awe. Like, that her own hair, growing out of her head can do that. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own. I will admit, I tried backcombing a bit a while ago, and failed miserably. Maybe I needed a nit-picker comb! :lol:

naomimcc
June 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
GAH! Yikes...that is terrifying! *shudder*

swanns
June 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
This reminds me of how I used to backcomb and tease my hair as well... It was huge but nowhere near THAT huge, thank goodness :D I'm not sure if there is any photographic evidence of it and even if there is, the only reason for me to find it would be to destroy it.

nastasska
June 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM
Big 80s Goth Hair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro__qBjOV2s&feature=related

I actually liked this do I would have done it but I had no idea where to start :lol:

rags
June 21st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Everyone who's saying she won't have any hair left must not have lived through the eighties! I had a perm in my hair, sprayed, curled with a curling iron and backcombed it every day. Was my hair damaged? Sure! Did I care? Not a bit!

nienna42
June 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
If I didn't want long hair, I would totally do that for special occasions. :D I think she looks super cute. And she says up front that it's damaging and shouldn't be done regularly; she knows what she's getting into. :shrug:

bahannas
June 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I have a confession-

this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFI9bN-cNc

Was my inspiration about 6 months ago... heh.....

I even went out and bought a teasing comb, hair spray, and had my hairstylist cut my hair into layers as to get the height at the top of my head.

I did it maybe 5 times when I realized how badly I was destroying my hair....

I used to follow her videos too! :o

MimiKeki
June 21st, 2009, 09:11 AM
Eeep, it does make me cringe, but it's nice to see her enjoying her hair in the way she likes :D Each to their own, and all that.

Amoretti
June 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
To each their own and all that jazz! :D

Toadstool
June 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
I looked it up and it comes from Japanese sub culture. There is lot of music here and the bands dress up in flabouyant elaborate costumes and wild colored hair to set themselves apart. It means "Visual Style" :) Apparently it started back in the 80's.

Here's a picture -

http://www.bigtakeover.com/images/140.jpg

and

http://img465.imageshack.us/i/gazwallie7ka.jpg/

or

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc175/Slashah/VisualKei.jpg

I see a similar look in most of the photos and also a lot of androgyny...
thank you. I think they look great, and really reminds me of how we tried to look in the eighties. Remember crimpers?

cobblersmaid
June 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
I would not have the patience to do that everyday.

jessie58
June 21st, 2009, 09:24 AM
Never mind today's hair, nevermind the 80's hair, check out the 60's big hair. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cBX7RoVmfY) Exactly the same thing as the girl in the OP's video, plenty of backcombing and hairspray except the end result is simply neat and tidy rather than wild looking.

Warning: Turn the volume down or wear ear plugs. Hearing damage may occur.

Jessikinz
June 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
Well at least she knows how damaging it is to her hair, and it sounds like she hardly ever does the style anyways. She probably did it less than a few times before making a tutorial. I tried to back comb my hair when it was just past my shoulders, and that was what everyone was doing. But it was not worth my time and I did not have any patience for that kind of styling.

Fractalsofhair
June 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Lyria- They do make natural hairsprays. The point of these styles in general is not to have an "attractive" appearance but to look weird and funky. You can make your own natural hairspray from sugar and water, from aloe gel and water, and buy them many places. You can dilute Elmer's glue, or use cornstarch and water. Aerosol sprays are generally bad for the environment, but the worst chemicals have been banned(Back in the 1970s!). It's also not an everyday look, since it does take time.

Glasseyes-separated it! For me, a wall of text is anything that's longer than a school paragraph for me, IE 3-4 pages.

Mirachan-separated it!

Nightshade-I think you had a picture of flat ironed hair? With a steam break!(Hair also looks scary under a microscope) That was scary. I wonder if there are any pictures of bleached hair, or hair that has had a shampoo bar used on it. Shampoo bars also lift the cuticle slightly, hence why people use an ACV/WV rinse after. However, as a child, I had hair that was apparently mid thigh at it's longest(Don't remember that, but I've seen photos...), and I used shampoo bars without a vinegar rinse generally, and when I used Paul Mitchel, my hair started breaking off till I had to get shoulder length hair. That is probably the reason I only remember having waist length hair. I was only a few inches shorter than my current height, so let's assume it would be about classic length on me now.(I think I might have used conditioner, I'm really not sure. I know my mother did tons of hot oil treatments on me) If my cuticle was being lifted daily, such as with backcombing, and it was extremely dangerous... How could it have gotten that long!

The comments about how all the people with this style of hair have short hair is because most people in the modern world have shorter hair. We here have goals of having VERY long hair, not BSL as being extremely long. Also, when you do a lot of bleaching, flat ironing etc, you don't want to have extremely long hair. It's also pretty hard to tease your hair the longer it gets. The comments about how she'll be bald are rather inaccurate as hair is somewhat strong, especially in "shorter" lengths such as shoulder or so.

Remember, to most people, "long" hair is APL or so, and medium is shoulder, short is chin or pixie. Hair is as strong as aluminum, and it's fairly uncommon for it to break at a short length. I have hair that splits easily, and due to bleaching I've found splits in my virgin hair 3-4 inches down my scalp. My hair is damaged, but I can say honestly in all the times I've backcombed it, it's only been damaged when I improperly removed the style.

Compare this to bleaching with a mild bleach and blow drying for a month. I went from having fairly undamaged dry hair with some splits to having 50% of it break off, and 6 months later, 75% of it break off at the ends in the front. This is not a protective hairstyle at all, but it is not going to be so harmful you risk going bald or anything like that. They don't have short hair out of need, but simply because it's easier for the styles to be done on. It's like with mohawks, VERY few are longer than a foot, simply due to the work needed to keep a mohawk up. It's certainly no more dangerous than bleach and heat styling, and I would warrent less dangerous. Getting the cuticle to lie down again is a matter of an acidic substance on well moisturized hair. A 400 degree flat iron on hair will cause more damage than this(Simply due to the heat), and many people are still able to get to APL or BSL with flat ironing and bleaching on a regular basis. I am not saying that this is a protective hairstyle, or "good" for hair, but it is not as dangerous as this thread leads people to believe. It looks messy and damaged! That's the point!

If you want to totally protect your hair, it seems that oiling and protective updos are the way to go, along with braiding it when sleeping and such. Otherwise, a style like this occasionally will cause fairly little damage to your hair, as long as you're not doing it daily and you're very gentle with it. Doing styles like that has allowed me to not soak my very dry hair in cones then have to use a harsh SLS shampoo to remove them on the worst of my hair frizz days, as on those days my hair is almost like that naturally and just needs a very small amount of light back combing and hairspray to make it look like a style as opposed to a bad hair day, which has helped my hair a lot! With improper removal, you will notice damage, because you are knotting your hair, and gently combing thru knots with oil or something to lubricate it is much much less harmful than ripping thru it. This is just what I've noticed based on my own experience, and from what I understand about hair. It is knotting the hair, it is effectively temporary dreadlocks that are held together with hairspray. There are many people with dreads who have very long hair, and are able to have long hair due to the dreadlocks, but when the dreads are removed, they either lose a lot of hair that would be shed, or they lose hair due to improper removal etc. It's not meant to look healthy or pretty at all, it's meant to look fun. She isn't back combing the tips of her hair, the most delicate part, which certainly limits the damage.

Carina
June 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I could only watch for one minute and then turn it of.

Sarahmoon
June 21st, 2009, 10:30 AM
:shudder Fortunately it comes with a warning at the start. If I were her I would buy a pink wig to do that style, though. I wonder how long it takes her to get her hair back to normal.

DiyaC
June 21st, 2009, 10:56 AM
Noooooooooooooooo! :run: I cringed from the very first minute. The warning was ominous but I still wasn't geared up to watch the horror that was that video. I couldn't do that to my hair. Ever.

Unofficial_Rose
June 21st, 2009, 10:57 AM
Teenagers today have so much fun. If I were a teen today, I would absolutely try this. I'd wind up with bald patches but I'd try it. I did tons of incredibly harmful things to my hair when I was younger and though I wouldn't go back to doing that now...the "try anything" attitude was fun. :D

Oh gosh, yes! I'd have SO done that when I was 17. We didn't have those sorts of looks then.
Now I'm middle-aged and a LHC-er, it makes me cringe. But back when I was bleaching & flatironing, I don't suppose I'd have thought there was any harm in it.

Nyghtingale
June 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM
I used to do horrible things to my hair when I was young and foolish. Sometimes I miss those days.

Loviatar
June 21st, 2009, 04:56 PM
That looks amazing :D I adore her colour.

I do that to my hair maybe 4 times a year to play a character at LARP, and also had Big Goth Hair for a long time at university. I just rinsed it out using gobs of conditioner and then do a deep coney treatment the day after. :shrug: It's no biggie.

Roseate
June 21st, 2009, 05:19 PM
I am honestly in awe. Like, that her own hair, growing out of her head can do that. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own. I will admit, I tried backcombing a bit a while ago, and failed miserably. Maybe I needed a nit-picker comb! :lol:

My thoughts exactly! My hair just doesn't "take" backcombing, or maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I'm always impressed when people can totally alter their hair like that!

Clearly, she's not aiming for classic length virgin hair. She looks like she's having fun!

bugeyedmonster2
June 21st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Well, it is her hair, and she did have a disclaimer that styling one's hair like that often will damage it.

(^_^)/
BEM

thankyousir74
June 21st, 2009, 05:44 PM
I actually think that looks amazing :3 One can learn a lot about identity through body/style modification. For myself, though, I prefer the more natural beauty.

bugeyedmonster2
June 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM

Oh, no wonder I thought they looked like anime characters. They kinda' do, don't they? Very cute. And the time to get away with dressing wild is when you're young. Can't do it when you're my age.

And I'm in no shape to point fingers. I grew up in the 80s. Punk and preps styles and such.

Quixii
June 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Eek! I couldn't even watch the whole thing. It goes against everything that couple possibly be good for - or even tolerated by - your hair!

redcelticcurls
June 21st, 2009, 06:23 PM
The one thing that really stood out to me is the fact that 1.) she actually has longer hair than a lot of the other visual-kei and J-rock YouTube videos on the sidebar (and the J-rock style fans I know), and 2.) she makes a point of saying she realizes this is incredibly damaging to the hair before the video even starts. I mean, short hair can take more abuse because it *doesn't* need to be handled like old lace, because it isn't -- it has a faster turnaround.

So I wonder if she actually knows all the ways to take care of her hair and treat it right so she can maintain shoulder-length hair and still dye it (um, we personally know people with long, gorgeous, totally unnaturally-colored hair), possibly iron it, and backcomb it like this occasionally.

But yeah, when she's going back through and combing over the backcombed parts and hits a little knot and just rips through it in a fraction of a second instead of gently teasing it out, yeah, I went :eek: a little.

Good point. By non-LHC standards, her hair isn't short. She probably has a good routine to accommodate her styling just to get to shoulder length.

Nat242
June 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
:rolleyes: I don't see what's so terrifying about someone styling their hair in a way they like.

She's not threatening to come over to your house, undo your sleep braid and backcomb your hair whilst you slumber.

Why is someone choosing to backcomb and use styling products to achieve a look they like so threatening?

Bene
June 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Why is someone choosing to backcomb and use styling products to achieve a look they like so threatening?

i think it's the thought of someone actually doing it to my hair...

i saw hairspray and teasing and had to click away http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/bene25/smilies/scared1.gif

LisaJaney
June 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I thought it was funny. You can tell by the color of her hair that she enjoys coloring it with at least one sort of dye, and from the texture you can tell she's not against heat styling. It was no surprise to me that she'd rat it as well. The addition of hairspray PRIOR to teasing it was a stroke of genius, as far as "what else can I do to my hair that would be damaging?"

The end result was - in my opinion - not the most flattering hairstyle. Funny that she took SO long and did so much potential harm to the hair in order to attain something that wasn't gorgeous.

It's all about choices. She chooses to do things to her hair that we wouldn't choose. And we choose to watch the video of her doing things to her hair that we wouldn't choose. And then we choose to write our feelings about the video of her doing things to her hair that we wouldn't choose...and on and on it goes :silly: (see, that smiley looks like his hair was done by her!)

Peter
June 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM
I thought it looked pretty cool at the end, actually...

Yeah, I wouldn't do it to my hair, but no one's asking me to.

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 08:56 PM
Wow. How naive of me to think they were wearing wigs. I've seen girls with hair that extreme and never imagined it was real hair. I do like alot of the emo/club styles but wouldn't subject my hair to that. Her hair looked like straw before and after, looked like a wig : )

horseprincess
June 21st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Omgosh... My hair would definitely pack up & move away... :(

FullMoonTrim
June 21st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Daddy long legs hair...I don't know, that's just what came to my mind first!

GlennaGirl
June 21st, 2009, 09:08 PM
:rolleyes: I don't see what's so terrifying about someone styling their hair in a way they like.

She's not threatening to come over to your house, undo your sleep braid and backcomb your hair whilst you slumber.

Well, the OP was probably being a little tongue-in-cheek...making a little joke of it...Like, you'd expect to see something literally scary, a monster or something; instead, it's teased hair. :p Or that's how I took it!

Nat242
June 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Well, the OP was probably being a little tongue-in-cheek...making a little joke of it...Like, you'd expect to see something literally scary, a monster or something; instead, it's teased hair. :p Or that's how I took it!

I'm referring more to some of the responses.

Aisha25
June 21st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Well at least shes not video taping herself, snapping and breaking hairs or bleaching and dying her hair :shudder: Thats even worst :scared:

bugeyedmonster2
June 21st, 2009, 11:13 PM
Big 80s Goth Hair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro__qBjOV2s&feature=related

I actually liked this do I would have done it but I had no idea where to start :lol:

I might have had hair kinda' like that in the mid 80s. All fluffed up with nearly half a can of hairspray. No wonder there are holes in the ozone layer. :oops:

(^_^)/
BEM

bugeyedmonster2
June 21st, 2009, 11:16 PM
Everyone who's saying she won't have any hair left must not have lived through the eighties! I had a perm in my hair, sprayed, curled with a curling iron and backcombed it every day. Was my hair damaged? Sure! Did I care? Not a bit!

Me too! I used to curl with a hot curling iron and sprayed! Everyone one else I knew was doing wild things with their hair. Tight tight curls or cloud-ish hair. (We envied girls with natural afros, as all they had to do was just color it!) Or hair that stood up straight. Don't forget the punk look either!

(^_^)/
BEM

Pegasus Marsters
June 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM

I know! I agree with you completely, I don't understand why people are freaking out over it.

So you don't care for the style. You know what? It's not your hair, get over it. She can do whatever she wants to her hair, her sense of aesthetics is not the same as yours.

I love how people find it acceptable to post personal and insulting comments towards the maker of the video, but constantly people spread "I'm not here to decorate your world" around this forum. What if someone was insulting an LHCer over their long hair? You'd all leap to their defence, right? Because they're just envious, right? :rolleyes:

melrose1985
June 22nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I love the color of her hair!

And i must say I used to do this to my hair all the time back in the day, I had my hair cut so i could style it like that. I know it's not good for your hair, but i say i did like the way it looked on me.

GlennaGirl
June 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Me too! I used to curl with a hot curling iron and sprayed! Everyone one else I knew was doing wild things with their hair. Tight tight curls or cloud-ish hair. (We envied girls with natural afros, as all they had to do was just color it!) Or hair that stood up straight. Don't forget the punk look either!

(^_^)/
BEM

Heh heh. I was in high school from 1980 to 1985 (fall of 1980 to June of 1985...I didn't get left back, LOL!). I wore "banana curls"--one long curl down each side of my face and then sprayed, and I'm talking sprayed. I could crunch my curls in my hand. Since that wasn't enough, every girl in gym would stand in the locker after class vying for three minutes at the outlet so we could plug in quick and re-curl. Then once more in the girls' room before school was out--had to look extra hot walking home, don't'cha know. :p

Those "turn and click" non-electric curling irons were super popular because you didn't have to wait, and hence risk not re-curling your banana curls several times a day, which would have been the ultimate fashion travesty.

After that, in the late 80s, I did that pouffed-up-in-the-front thing (I still pouf...just nothing like the degree or method of this and without spray!) by tying a sort of half-up but very far forward, pulling it out pouffier and then grabbing the tail of the pouf in two parts to yank them and hence move the pouf part forward. Then a bit of yanking around here and there for extra height and a bit more hairspray.

OMG. AquaNet is surely pining for my generation to this day. I'm sure their stock has never been so high. :D (Except, as someone pointed out, possibly in the 60s!)

ETA: Of course, no look was then complete without Maybelline black kohl fish-scales-'n-chemicals liner on the INSIDE of the bottom lids (the waterline). Bonus points for only "sharing" with seven of your closest friends and getting eye infections less than once every three months.

Those were the days, I really do recall them with fondness.

Darscilla
June 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
:confused: Not really seeing what the big deal is here? She even admits at the beginning of the video she knows it is not good for your hair, but... I thought it looked really good. I think the majority of women do some heat/chemical/product styling on their hair most days. I colour my hair, and I blow dry and use hairspray on my bangs most days, and I still have hair on my head!

Paper Moon
June 22nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
When I lived in Japan I saw a looooot more of this, and it was truly the coolest thing ever! These kids dedicate so much time, money, and effort into creating these looks so they can stand out, and I applaud them for it!

Hell when I was in high school I remembered we all shaved the bottom part of our hair, so when you pulled it up in a ponytail, the shaved part showed... ahhhhhh youth was great!!!:cheese:

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
when I was in high school I remembered we all shaved the bottom part of our hair, so when you pulled it up in a ponytail, the shaved part showed... ahhhhhh youth was great!!!:cheese:
lol, I remember that style!

vampodrama
June 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
Once again I feel the need to pipe into this thread...

Old school visual kei hair was about three times as big as the girls' in that video. And it was actually invented by males - japanese males who bleached the hell out of their thick coarse asian hair, dyed it bright pink and red, added some extensions to make it even bigger, but it was definitely their own hair.

a wonderful example (http://www.kroy.it/e-mage/old/img/x.jpg) of serious old school visual kei hair.

redcelticcurls
June 22nd, 2009, 10:52 AM

Old school visual kei hair was about three times as big as the girls' in that video. And it was actually invented by males - japanese males who bleached the hell out of their thick coarse asian hair, dyed it bright pink and red, added some extensions to make it even bigger, but it was definitely their own hair.

a wonderful example (http://www.kroy.it/e-mage/old/img/x.jpg) of serious old school visual kei hair.

I like the pink on the end!

rovylern
June 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
I can certainly admire that much dedication to getting the look she wants and the final product is definitely interesting and pretty (though not to my personal tastes), but all I can think of is trying to comb it all out afterward. I'm a little envious of people who can do things like that without looking like a half-bald scarecrow when it's down again!

zombi
June 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM

Yeah dude, viskei hair is something I have always been in awe of -- I have such fine and thin hair that I would be frakked if I tried to do that stuff, and MAN have I always wanted to!

I settled for Mana-esque hair for a while instead.

This girl's video is, in my opinion, pretty awesome...? I'd not be able to achieve those results. (and trust me, in the past I tried)

nowxisxforever
June 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah dude, viskei hair is something I have always been in awe of -- I have such fine and thin hair that I would be frakked if I tried to do that stuff, and MAN have I always wanted to!

I settled for Mana-esque hair for a while instead.

This girl's video is, in my opinion, pretty awesome...? I'd not be able to achieve those results. (and trust me, in the past I tried)

I've always been in awe of it, too. I don't dress up nearly enough to justify going for visual kei hair, though. Long hair is just fine for my down-to-earth style, haha! :)

magpielaura
June 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
I thought her hair looked cool! Not a style for someone aiming for long and healthy hair, but a great dramatic style. She wasn't being quite as rough to her hair as it seemed - the video was sped up.

I once did something similar to my nearly waist length hair to go to a fancy dress party as a punk. I used a temporary red dye first too. No one recongnised me at the party with a thick coat of punky make-up too!

I looked a lot like the "old school visual kei" pics in zombi's post!

neon-dream
June 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
How on earth would you detangle that!?

Fractalsofhair
June 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Neon- you detangle it by soaking it in conditioner(I'm talking 4-5 handfuls for chin length hair, probably 1/2 a bottle for my current hair length) in the shower. And then starting off slowly with a wide toothed comb and going progressively finer with the tooth combs, then using more conditioner, and then shampooing lightly, then conditioning again to get your hair back to normal. Then you're very gentle with it for the next day, and might do a hot oil treatment the next chance you get. That generally gets the hair back to normal and all the tangles out in my experience. The detangling part is what does it, but due to the fact hair spray is often drying, I'm very gentle after. It can help if you use cones before putting conditioner on it, or use a coney conditioner for some. It takes a long time though! There's not too much shedding compared to normal if I do that and remove it gently(The little bit extra I think is the hair I would have lost to clothes normally!), but if you just rip thru with a comb! I think it would hurt! With all the conditioner though, it's a long process, but can be done! I don't suggest detangling it if you're going clubbing 2 nights that weekend, because you can just sleep on it and go for the messy look. I really don't suggest detangling it while tired either! XD

flaming bunny
June 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, it's reeeeeeally damaging....but I really like it! I think she looks really cool; I love extreme looks like visual kei :)

Dreamernz
June 22nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Oucchhhhhhhhhhh!

Spike
June 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Wow. Just wow.

This looks like a great hairstyle for that last party just before you join the armed forces. A guy buddy of mine had his flaming red hair permed into tight corkscrews just before he shipped out. He'd always wondered how he'd look with curly hair, and since he was going to get the GI 'do at boot camp anyway . . .

Dementia1013
June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
Thank you, I'm glad you got the joke.
It's obvious that I dye my hair, something that is often discouraged on here. Im not saying that there is anything wrong with her hair or her look. I guess I should have been clearer. I just personally can't imagine MYSELF hairspraying then back-combing my hair. Like so many people have said on this thread.... My hair would NEVER forgive me. :D

bugeyedmonster2
June 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
OMG. AquaNet is surely pining for my generation to this day. I'm sure their stock has never been so high. :D (Except, as someone pointed out, possibly in the 60s!)

Those were the days, I really do recall them with fondness.

Well, I never did the black eyeliner look. For long anyway. I tried it once, had my eyes swell almost shut, just because I was sensitive to something in the eyeliner. I tried a new brand practically every week until I finally gave up. They all irritated my eyes. Sigh.

But I remember that hair crunching. I used to spray, curl iron, and then spray again.

Yeah, I hear you about AquaNet. I think I used at least three cans a week of that stuff. Even if it used up all my allowance. The super big sized cans, too!

And my naturally straight hair would still fall out of the curls. Oh, and with my oily hair and the hair spray and the Texas wind blowing up dust, I had to wash every night. By the end of the day I looked like a downtown wino. My hair would be all stuck together and covered in a light layer of Texas dust.

And no, my dad's cow pie patty dust joke was NEVER funny. :mad: :steam:

(^_^)/
BEM

DarkChocolate
June 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
truly terrifying!!
My hair is of fine texture so it would definitely not stand up to that abuse.

Loviatar
June 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
How on earth would you detangle that!?

When I wash mine out, I soak in conefree moisturising condish for up to an hour, then add a little water, lather the condish gently, then rinse out. I do a final coney condish or moisture treatment mask application after that and comb that through with my shower comb. Wrap in towel and leave to dry for 30 mins, then air dry the rest.

Then I use my Tangle Teezer on 100% dry hair, or my Mason Pearson comb on 90% dry hair.

No problems :)

jivete
June 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM
That was awesome. My hair would disintegrate but it looks cool on her. Whatever people want to do with their hair is their business.

LovingLife
June 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
I love her hairstyle and individuality and I don't think we should critisize her,
But I heard jaws music when she brought the comb down to tease it at first

LovingLife
June 23rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
That was awesome. My hair would disintegrate but it looks cool on her. Whatever people want to do with their hair is their business.

I agree, my hair would probably fall out immediately though! :cheese:

Jules diamond
June 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I had a friend do something similar to my hair. It hurt really bad and I brushed it out right away. I like visual kei style, but I'd stick to wax on my hair.