PDA

View Full Version : How bad is the sun really?

bakertwins2004
June 20th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I am out a lot with my five year old twins. I LOVE having the sun highlight my hair. How bad is it really? I am very pale skinned and use uber high sunblock on my body but leave my hair alone. I do use lots of coconut oil and stuff after being out for a bit.

RancheroTheBee
June 20th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I think the effect is similar to that of heat-styling. The heat just cooks your hair, and it's best to just keep it out of the sun.

Roseate
June 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Also like heat-styling, it depends on how well your hair can take it. Some people have more delicate hair that breaks at the first touch of the iron, some people can blowdry regularly without much trouble.

I have cast-iron hair; I have grown it to waist in the past at a time when I was outdoors a lot without covering my hair. It does make the ends much lighter in color than the roots, but I did not have a problem with breakage or splits. If I was going much longer than waist I think I would have to worry about it more; the ends were already pretty much platinum, they probably would have started to break at longer lengths.

Since your goal is only BSL, you may be able to just let the sun do its thing and trim off any damage.

Unofficial_Rose
June 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It depends how near the equator you are, how strong the sunlight is.

There has been a lot of publicity in the UK press recently to the effect that the health hazards of no sun exposure are as great as too much sun exposure, i.e. increased rate in cancers, bone porosity etc. I'd enjoy the sun, if I were you, just avoid overdoing it.

Seems to be one of those "good in moderation" things.

Adorable children, btw! :D

Gothic Lolita
June 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Oh, your children are just lovely!

And now, back to subject, I'd say as long as your hair doesn't feel dry and you care for it with oils and so on, it shouldn't be damaging too much. Of course we all want super-healthy hair, but I personally, don't want to put my hair higher than my personal pleasures. And the feeling and look of sun on my hair is better than uber-healthy hair.

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
It's probably similar to a mild bleach. Heat styling gets MUCH hotter than the sun, (300-400 degrees as opposed to at the most 100) so it's more dangerous for your hair. I'd suggest being gentle to your hair after you're in the sun, and don't heat style/bleach on top of it. My hair is very delicate, so it is a minor issue, but regular bleach and a blowdrier did much more damage than the sun ever has to my actual hair. Scalp burns aren't fun though! If you're going to be out for hours and hours, I suggest covering your hair, esp if it's going to be all summer, but once in a while, or regular daily sun exposure shouldn't be a huge issue. If you're going to be working on a farm or such, it's a good idea to cover your hair, even if to just prevent your scalp from burning!

Tabitha
June 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
If you use EOs in your hair oil, be aware of those which are photosensitizing (many of the citrussy ones are).

jera
June 20th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I am out a lot with my five year old twins. I LOVE having the sun highlight my hair. How bad is it really? I am very pale skinned and use uber high sunblock on my body but leave my hair alone. I do use lots of coconut oil and stuff after being out for a bit.

I used to love the warm feeling of the sun on my hair and the way it coaxed natural copper lights from my brown hair. :p But, it really is drying in the long run. It's better to have unhighlighted hair than damaged hair. :o

EdG
June 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Former sun-worshiper here. :sun:

The ends of my hair are much lighter than my roots. I don't mind the change in color, but the ends tend to be fragile and break easily.

I think a little sun exposure is fine and healthy as long as one doesn't overdo it. :)
Ed

GlassEyes
June 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think it's anything like heat styling. There's a difference between hot weather and shoving a 300 degree flatiron on miniscule pieces of hair.

It's more like the sunlight weakens keratin bonds and causes melanin to fade. Or at least that'd be my guess.

bakertwins2004
June 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ah ok so a little here and there is prob ok. SO IF i were to use something on my hair to protect what might that be? A hat would make me melt.

EdG
June 20th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know much about hats or hair coverings.

During a recent hiking meet, everyone had updos and wore hats except for me. I had sunburn by the end of the day.
Ed

skay
June 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Ah ok so a little here and there is prob ok. SO IF i were to use something on my hair to protect what might that be? A hat would make me melt.

Hmmm, I just apply coconut oil all over my hair and then wear a protective hairstyle like braids.

Kirin
June 20th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have a theory about this. I do! Everyone might not agree, but I don't do anything special to protect my hair from the sun. Nada.

Pretty much my theory is, my hair is on my head to protect my cranium from the sun. Its what its there for. Though hair can get damaged by it, I don't think its all that much, except for the universal "weathering" damage.

Darkhorse1
June 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I used to feel the same way until I started working outdoors. After 3 years of teaching outdoors with just a ponytail or braid, my hair was totally fried by the sun. It brought out natural red highlights, but my ends were dry, brittle and dull. I now make sure my hair is bundled up and I do extra oilings for the length.

Keep in mind, because you are fair skinned, for health reasons, you should always wear a hat. Sunburnt scalps are a killer and you are upping your chance of skin cancers. If you don't like hats, make sure you use lots of sunblock on your scalp, face and ears.

ericthegreat
June 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM
Getting at least a minimal amount of sunlight is crucial for our skin to produce certain vitamins, so I wouldn't become a total vampire just yet. If you are truly worried about the sun damaging your hair this summer, invest in good deep treatments and also spray in leave-in conditioners in your hair that have sunscreens.

rose_in_bloom
June 21st, 2009, 12:20 AM
I agree with ericthegreat, I think sun is very good for you and your hair IF you don't overdo it. We all need our vitamin D, right?