PDA

View Full Version : sudden change in ends

the.fee.fairy
June 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hello all!

I've been a member here for years, but post very rarely.

I've got 1" over waist length thick hair that's fairly straight (it used to be dead straight before it hit waist...).

I use shampoo (one wash) and then conditioner that i leave in for a good 5-10 minutes and then rinse throughly. I avoid silicones at all cost.
After washing, while its still damp, i use a leave in conditioner on the ends, and a spray leave in on the lengths.

This routine has always worked marvellously...until now.

Over the last couple of months, my ends are going funny. They're dry but sticky and feel different to the rest of my hair. The rest is wonderfully smooth and shiny, but the last couple of inches are rough and sticky.

I've also noticed breakage underneath my hair too - just on the under layers. I tend to wear it up every day, but i do change the style daily - it'll be braided one day, bunned the next etc.

I've been trying to snip the splits off, but they seem to be multiplying! The strange thing is that the splits are not confined to the funny ends - the ends aren't split!! The splits are tending to be halfway up.

I'm going to give the moisture treatment a go over the weekend.

Any other advice would be gratefully received! I'll try to get a pic up at some point...

mira-chan
June 20th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Could it be buildup? Have you tried clarifying?

jojo
June 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Yes I agree claryfy or maybe dust the ends a teeny bit.

Another option is to put a pea sized amount of conditioner on the very ends and leave it in.

SpecialKitty
June 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
When you think about how old those ends are in comparison to the rest of your hair, it kind of make sense that they would be dry and velcro-ish right about now, especially because you're not masking the damage with cones. And I've also heard of hair routines that stop working after many months or years, which is indeed a mystery but could have to do with the water you're using to wash with, or other environmental factors. You could either cut the ends, keep treating them (with clarifying, moisture, and/or protein), or ignore them. As for the splits, what are you doing at night with your hair? And by the way, we've been at LHC the exact same amount of time! :D

the.fee.fairy
June 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
You've racked up a lot more posts than me!

At night, i tend to braid it and leave it. I do try to get the braid so that the band is a far as possible down the ends.

Its really strange - the ends feel rough and wiry, but there are no splits! I don't think there's as many splits as i make out, its just that whenever i look down at the lengths i see all these white dots and splitty bits...

I've been cutting them off as i see them (mostly at work - there's a large window behind me so i get good light!).

I was wondering whether it might be caused by too muich conditioning at the end. I'm not sure how to tell if my hair is suffering from too much protein. i change my shampoo and conditioner regularly, and i tend to go CO over winter because it protects my hair more.

It does need dyeing again actually...might give it a wash, take off the ends and dye it tonight, and then give it a good conditioning treatment on Monday and see if that helps. I use Directions dye - a semi permanent vegetable based one that i've been using for years and years.

I'm thinking that taking off the ends is an inevitability, but at the same time, i don't want the 'new' ends to end up the same! Argh!