PDA

View Full Version : How to do a french braid with parting

Heidi_234
June 20th, 2009, 04:37 AM
It's just a little thing I came up with recently. I hate the way I look when my hair is not parted somehow (in the middle or one of the sides), but for many updo's it seems like parting is not really a possibility. So I found a way to get around it with the french braid, and I'd like to share.
First, you better know how to french braid your own hair. There's this very great tutorial (http://www.dreamweaverbraiding.com/braids/self_french.htm). It might take some to learn, but it well worth it.
So, with regular french braiding, when you add sections to the braid, you do it like this (sorry for the horrible drawings!):
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2126/89603475.gif
Going from the hairline to the back of your head.
What I suggest is, do the part (say, middle part), and add sections this way:
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/369/13079502.gif
Start with small ones near the crown, then as you braid, add sections not horizontally but rather vertically, so that the hair right above your forhead would be added as one of the last sections to the french braid (before you start to braid the length that is).
I hope this was clear enough! :flower:

Heidi. :blossom:

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Uh oh...your code is showing ;)

Heidi_234
June 20th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Uh oh...your code is showing ;)
lol that was a wierd firefox glitch I'd say.

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Very Very cool! I'll haev tot try that sometime!

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2009, 05:00 AM
lol that was a wierd firefox glitch I'd say.

That looks better ;)

I would love to see an action shot of your braid like this!

Heidi_234
June 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM
That looks better ;)

I would love to see an action shot of your braid like this!
If I could do an action shot, I wouldn't be drawing crappy pictures of it. :(

Longlocks3
June 20th, 2009, 07:01 AM
The tutorial you linked to is exactly the website I used to learn to French braid my hair! She has some great instructions so I'm going to try Dutch braids next.

maria_asa
June 21st, 2009, 03:37 AM
I have to try this! Just as you I prefer how I look with a parting but I've never been able to figure out how to make a french braid without messing up my parting.

Heidi_234
June 21st, 2009, 06:44 AM
I have to try this! Just as you I prefer how I look with a parting but I've never been able to figure out how to make a french braid without messing up my parting.
Good luck! :flower: It might be a little loose with the front sections going into the last bumps of the french braid, but I personally like it.

misstwist
June 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
When I make an in-braided dutch I just make my normal side part and start at low crown. I just draw straight back and it works just fine.

I just went and check what I do so I can describe it. :)

Make the part you want. Separate hair for start, starting just above the ears and sliding up toward low crown. Hold that separated piece in one hand and use a comb or brush to gently smooth it back, minding the part. Braid as per usual.

It helps to use a narrow tooth comb or a bbb when you smooth that section back.

Hope that helps someone.

AnneAdeline
June 21st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Oh, that's a great idea! I'm a lazy braider so I usually just start at the crown of my head, which keeps my part.
I'd like to try this method!

natt i nord
June 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM
Look for french braids in my Album - they're always done that way with part in the middle. My hair just doesn't stay when I comb everything behind.

Heidi_234
June 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Look for french braids in my Album - they're always done that way with part in the middle. My hair just doesn't stay when I comb everything behind.
It's hard to see if there's part in your pictures, it looks to me like rather regular french braids with no parting. Of course, if you do it loose, the parting might reveal itself after a while, but that wasn't enough for me. :p